Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

He had been on Y&R since 1991 and acting before even that in Bad News Bears, The Cosby Show, Roots sequel, ect. 

I hope they have counselors at CBS for those who worked with him expecially the kids. How tragic for everyone who knew him and loved him. 

• Love 18
22 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

There had fucking better be a tribute episode, s'all I know.

It'll be several months before they can put something together because of the taping schedule. But I'm sure there'll be an 'in loving memory' tagged on at the end of an episode in the next week or so.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Syndicate said:

I'm absolutely flabbergasted about Kristoff St. John. On a shallow note? All that gorgeousness GONE, just like that. SMH! Um, any word on how he died? I'm hoping it's not what my mind is thinking. Sigh!

Such sad news.  Unfortunately, at least one media outlet has reported that it was "alcohol overdose".  Whether deliberate or accidental, I guess we may never know, but no doubt it was the end result of his long struggle with depression.  So very sad for his family.

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

But I'm sure there'll be an 'in loving memory' tagged on at the end of an episode in the next week or so.

Not good enough!  I understand it taking months and shit but when Jeanne Cooper died didn't Katherine get an episode devoted to her death?  Kristoff's been with the show for a long time and should get the same respect AFAIC.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:
11 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

But I'm sure there'll be an 'in loving memory' tagged on at the end of an episode in the next week or so.

Not good enough!  I understand it taking months and shit but when Jeanne Cooper died didn't Katherine get an episode devoted to her death?  Kristoff's been with the show for a long time and should get the same respect AFAIC.

Not only this, but I imagine they would (and should) find the time to do an "in loving memory" today.

• Love 15

On-and off viewer who just saw the news about Kristoff. Wow. I knew he had a hard time grieving but was glad when he was able to return hoping that would help having some thing to do (I know someone who lost their husband and brother fairly close together and she says all the time she's glad to have a job that keeps her busy.) Depression is such a horrible thing, people can want to believe you're doing well and you can seem like it, unlike with a physcial illness where denial is far less likely to play a factor particularly with those around you, and then it gets tragic. Did he have any other kids than the one who passed? I don't want to be speculative... but maybe this was accidental? The superbowl was yesterday, he could have over did it with alcohol and meds, specifically if he's been on any antidepressants that's a lethal combination. No matter what this is sad. He was talented and my heart goes out to those who knew him personally. Especially those very close to him who may be beating them selves up feeling they should have "done more." It's such a hard thing to prevent. I do hope he's at peace.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

It may have been too late for today, but I would expect one this week.

I guess we'll see at the end of today's episode if they did.  Maybe I'm naive, but I think they will.

• Love 7

After the show CBS NY ran "coming up on the news at 5 remembering Kristof St. John" as part of the news preview. Maybe there just wasn't enough time to put a tag in the show, so affiliates are stepping in. 

I wonder if there are any Neil scenes taped?  At this point I don't know if I could watch it seems too strange. Clips are one thing. New material is another. 

• Love 14
58 minutes ago, Gigi43 said:

After the show CBS NY ran "coming up on the news at 5 remembering Kristof St. John" as part of the news preview. Maybe there just wasn't enough time to put a tag in the show, so affiliates are stepping in. 

I wonder if there are any Neil scenes taped?  At this point I don't know if I could watch it seems too strange. Clips are one thing. New material is another. 

Well, he just aired last week. After that, I'm not sure how much he taped. They are about a month ahead. I guess they could air what he taped and then after that come up with a storyline to deal with Neil's passing.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 11

Thank you @spinxella for posting all of the tweets and tributes.  I found out on twitter, and there were just so many tweets from fans and fellow actors,  it was almost too much to read because it is so heartbreaking.

Watching the episodes last week, I actually thought that he was in such good form that maybe he had overcome his mental health issues.  

This will be so brutal for his family, whether intentional or accidental, to suffer this loss after the earlier loss of their son.

RIP KSJ

• Love 23
5 minutes ago, rcc said:

My lasting memory of Kristoff will be Neil sitting back in his new apartment listening to jazz. My thought at the time was that he wasn't acting so much as relaxing and I just thought that jazz helped him cope. RIP

I remember when he owned Indigo. I thought that was such a cool name and I loved that set.

• Love 23

Just came on to the site and saw the news about Kristoff st. John. I was/am shocked. It took me a few minutes to accept it was actually true. I remember when he first came on the show. Neil, Dru, Malcolm, Olivia and Mamie. They were a big part of Y&R for many years. The Winters still are and the loss of Kristoff St John to the cast crew and his real life family will be devastating. I can't imagine the pain he was in. I hope now he's found peace.

• Love 22

God rest the soul of this kind, loving beautiful man. So many people have paid tribute to him today and rightfully so. Of course, Victoria Rowell had to get yet another dig in at CBS instead of just remembering Kristoff in a respectful way.

God bless his sweet family.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, DeafAngelboy23 said:

RIP Kristoff St. John (July 15, 1966 - February 3, 2019) 

Good bye to one of the most iconic soap actors & we are going to miss you very much. I know it was not happy time for you but we also know you are no longer in pain. Rest In Peace & we love you... 🙏🏻

2A9CD009-BCF2-45D4-A948-13FD52C6D5B8.jpeg

I hope he has found peace.  😢 He has been so troubled since the loss of his son. What a shock! RIP.

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Speaking of Victoria Rowell, interesting that KSJ had been asking to bring her back.  I'm glad to see he stayed on her side throughout.

Yeah, I thought it was a nice thing for her to share, that after all this time and all the drama he was still a good friend and supportive. It confirms what my sense of him was. 

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

People on other boards are saying that they'll just recast him. Jesus, I hope not.

I'm a big advocate of recasting roles, but in this case, most definitely NOT!

• Love 17

I hope they don't recast the role... it would be disrespectful.  I hope they have a real sendoff for Neil and Kristoff St. John and it would be nice if CBS/Sony could bury the hatchet and bring back Victoria Rowell for one day.  Along with Shemar Moore, Tonya Lee Williams and everyone else whose lives touched Neil's... Mamie, the ghost of Hilary Curtis, even the unpopular matches like Sofia Dupre.

• Love 23

I doubt they'll recast--probably just insert Nate into storylines that had been for Neil (but would they even need to do that? The Winters family has been so reduced to a shadow of it's former self).

It would be a class act if Eileen would come back for a one-off funeral episode.

peacheslatour: you must be in Seattle too! The snow drives the local media crazy here (I say as I work from home). I think they should do a somber mention in the credits and then creatively edit what he's done and write the character off the show officially. No recast.

Edited by JasonCC
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, blackwing said:

it would be nice if CBS/Sony could bury the hatchet and bring back Victoria Rowell for one day.  Along with Shemar Moore, Tonya Lee Williams and everyone else whose lives touched Neil's... Mamie, the ghost of Hilary Curtis, even the unpopular matches like Sofia Dupre.

Maybe even get someone to play Moses.

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, miamama said:

I don’t know about VR because she’s still in battle with CBS (so it might be hard) but Shemar and Tonya would be lovely as a one off return. They need to kill off Neil and devote an episode to his farewell. Anything less is shameful imo. The character has deep ties so it would be good. CK and BJ in particular would break my heart (they were kids as his kids).

ATWT did this with Benjamin Hendrickson, an offscreen death for Hal followed by memorial. It took a while (a couple of months I think) to write. Could do same for KSJ.

I agree.  There have been a few other examples where this was done, instead of a recast.  The longevity of the actor in the role, and his connections to so many in the cast, would make it unwise to recast.  No actor coming into that role would measure up for a number of reasons, and I doubt the fans would accept a recast.

• Love 22
1 minute ago, bannana said:

I agree.  There have been a few other examples where this was done, instead of a recast.  The longevity of the actor in the role, and his connections to so many in the cast, would make it unwise to recast.  No actor coming into that role would measure up for a number of reasons, and I doubt the fans would accept a recast.

I think you're so right.  Stepping into that role would be a thankless job for an actor, following someone of KSJ's longevity and identification with the role.  

With other cast members, Jeanne Cooper on Y&R, Kay Campbell on AMC, Frances Reid and now Peggy McKay from DOOL, as sad it was to lose them, the actors were of advanced years so sadness was leavened by the fact that they'd had a long life.  But with KsJ, he's only 52 and he's been tormented these past years by the loss of his son......doesn't seem fair.  To put it mildly.  

• Love 23
4 minutes ago, boes said:

I think you're so right.  Stepping into that role would be a thankless job for an actor, following someone of KSJ's longevity and identification with the role.  

With other cast members, Jeanne Cooper on Y&R, Kay Campbell on AMC, Frances Reid and now Peggy McKay from DOOL, as sad it was to lose them, the actors were of advanced years so sadness was leavened by the fact that they'd had a long life.  But with KsJ, he's only 52 and he's been tormented these past years by the loss of his son......doesn't seem fair.  To put it mildly.  

IIRC, Brenda Benet who play Lee on DOOL, killed herself after the death of her young son.  They just wrote her out of the storyline altogether.  I think that was again because she was so associated with the role, and because of the tragedy and circumstances of what lead to her death.  Wow, I still remember that, it had quite an impact at the time, even before social media.

• Love 12