Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

I was a Jef girl and never cared much for Arie.

Me too. But that was then and this is now. I'm excited. I feel as if we are going back to the golden days of the Bachelorette, as Emily's season was one of the best. Here's hoping we get guest appearances from Jef and Chris Bukowski. You know Sean Lowe will show up to give Arie advice. And of course, the golden girl Emily will have to stop by the house and interview the girls and give Arie her rankings.  

Right now Rachel is probably cackling and doing cartwheels. Take that, Peter!

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, FamilyVan said:

How old is he?  Oh I just googled it and he's 35.  Yikes!  Is this the oldest Bachelor?

I think Brad 2.0 takes the cake at 37 or 38. Farmer Chris was also 37 when he got cast, I think.

I hope they cast more age-appropriate women for him and not just 20-year old Instagram models.

Yay for Arie! I too rooted for Jef but Arie just always gave the good vibes during Emily's season. I think it's also great that he wasn't around The Nation too much and had his own life away from it (unlike JoJo's boys). I liked how he said that he thinks it's a good thing that there was significant time apart from when he appeared on The B'ette to being The Bachelor, because if he had jumped right in the next season, it would have felt too soon and not too right.

Saying all the right things already! I'm excited!

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, CindyBee said:

Ooooh, that is interesting if Peter thought he could play hardball with Fleiss.   Come on, he can't be that naive, Fleiss is notorious in LA and has no problem dumping you if he thinks you'll be a problem.  

Fleiss doesn't really care who he gets as a lead, he is just there to make a TV show and will cast accordingly. If Peter thought he was a special snowflake because he's a "fan favorite"... LOL!

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, oakville said:

I think there was an older bachelor a few years. He was a bass fisherman. He ended up picking a nice Hispanic lady. I don't think it ended well. She hit him & was arrested. I think her name was Mary.

That was Byron. I forgot his last name.

I'm surprised that Arie is "only" 35 since Emily's season was 6 freakin yrs ago. After Nick, he was the most desperate to be TB over the yrs so am not surprised.

• Love 1

Great news!!  I always thought Arie was the best looking Bachelorette contestant they ever had.  There was just something about him.  I was shocked when Emily did not pick him.  And, why would they pick Peter? The producers don't want someone who isn't ready to commit when the whole point of the show is to find a fiance. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Great news!!  I always thought Arie was the best looking Bachelorette contestant they ever had.  There was just something about him.  I was shocked when Emily did not pick him.  And, why would they pick Peter? The producers don't want someone who isn't ready to commit when the whole point of the show is to find a fiance. 

The Peter fans are getting really defensive on twitter, saying stuff like no way would ABC not pick him so he must have been true to himself and turned them down.   I don't believe that as the only person that we know that has said no to being the Bachelor has been Chris Lampton and that's cause he already met his future wife Peyton at some charity event.     But IF its true and he did turn it down, then good luck to him.

Wow. I just took a look at Arie on GMA and the yrs have not been kind to him. He has that middle age spread in his face and IIRC, he didnt have the 6-pack back then so I doubt he has it now. Combine that with a LOT more gray in his hair and he looks like he is in his 40s, not 30s.

I also forgot how he always looked so clammy all the time until someone reminded me upthread. Oh well, at least he was always good-natured and I am sure that he is eager to jump thru any hoops that Fleiss wants. 

• Love 3

Emily is happy with the pick.

Emily Maynard is ecstatic that ex Arie Luyendyk Jr. is the season 22 Bachelor.

"I can't think of a better person to be The Bachelor than Arie and I've been hoping this day would come since Season 8 ended!" Maynard, 31, exclusively tells Us Weekly in a statement. "He's a gentleman through and through and all the girls on his season are lucky to have him."

She adds: "I'll be wishing him nothing but the best because that's absolutely what he deserves!"

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

Wow. I just took a look at Arie on GMA and the yrs have not been kind to him. He has that middle age spread in his face and IIRC, he didnt have the 6-pack back then so I doubt he has it now. Combine that with a LOT more gray in his hair and he looks like he is in his 40s, not 30s.

I also forgot how he always looked so clammy all the time until someone reminded me upthread. Oh well, at least he was always good-natured and I am sure that he is eager to jump thru any hoops that Fleiss wants. 

Arie will do whatever they want, so good for Fleiss and the crew. This man has been waiting around for half of a decade hoping to be called. Interesting that nobody is wondering why a guy who was supposedly ready for marriage and the works almost six years ago is still single. I'm sure he will do the expected and propose at the end of the season. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, comosedice said:

She's already congratulated Arie. 

Yeah - caused she is pumped its not Peter.  She said in her post show interviews she didnt want any of her top guys to be the lead.  

That said, in five years she might be able to emulate Emily's graciousness. Time usually makes you more mature and more able to want good things for your exes.  

Edited by fib
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Hmmm...I don't remember Arie but I just saw footage of him on Access Hollywood.  Not impressed. 

Yeah, he wasn't impressive on Emily's season either. All he's remembered for are his kisses and living in the shadow of his dad.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, fib said:

So much nicer of a take than Rachel "none of my top four should be the Bachelor" Lindsay. 

YMMV but I think people were really making an unnecessary big deal about that comment and taking Rachel's words way too literally. I sincerely doubt that Rachel had an issue with Dean or Eric being the Bachelor (well maybe she knew the loser Dean turned out to be) and regarding Peter, well yes, she felt like he played hot and cold with her to secure the lead. So essentially it was a feeling of, "I hope you don't get exactly what you were eyeing". She joked about feeling possessive about her Top 4 but I really don't think she meant that literally.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but I think people were really making an unnecessary big deal about that comment and taking Rachel's words way too literally. I sincerely doubt that Rachel had an issue with Dean or Eric being the Bachelor (well maybe she knew the loser Dean turned out to be) and regarding Peter, well yes, she felt like he played hot and cold with her to secure the lead. So essentially it was a feeling of, "I hope you don't get exactly what you were eyeing". She joked about feeling possessive about her Top 4 but I really don't think she meant that literally.

Yeah - my mileage does vary: Peter was willing to propose to her, but he made it clear he wasn't willing to be made a of fool of by being told to propose and then dumped.  Rachel wanted Bryan, Peter knew it.  Peter exposed Rachel for being self centered on this issue, and she's bitter about how it played out.  She doesnt have to like it, but her stance is shady.  You should know going in to the position as  the lead that you final few are also contestants for the next season's lead: heck, you were.  

@Ohwell - Arie may be the second coming of Andrew Firestone: wealthy/famous family.  Worldly (born in Belgium, I believe) Actual adult. Actual accomplishments under his belt.  He is also wellspoken enough to sometimes do commentary of the racing circuit.  He is an actual catch, not a personal trainer.  

I'm hoping this is a nice reboot the way the Emily Season was in terms of restarting the applicant pool with interesting contestants. 

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, fib said:

Actual accomplishments under his belt.  He is also wellspoken enough to sometimes do commentary of the racing circuit.  He is an actual catch, not a personal trainer.  

God I hope they pick women who are equally accomplished and not fame whorey bimbos like the twins or Corinne. He needs more Andy/Rachel types. It would be kind of interesting to watch a non-trainwreckey season for a change. More like the early seasons when they didn't recycle leads so the only prize was the bachelor(ette) and no one was gunning for their own turn at lead.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, fib said:

Arie may be the second coming of Andrew Firestone: wealthy/famous family.  Worldly (born in Belgium, I believe) Actual adult. Actual accomplishments under his belt.  He is also wellspoken enough to sometimes do commentary of the racing circuit.  He is an actual catch, not a personal trainer.  

Ok fine if he's "worldly" and from a wealthy family.  (Does simply not being born in the USA make one "worldly"?  I don't think so.  Also, I've got no problem with someone being a personal trainer if that is, in fact, what they do.)  I'm just saying that looks-wise, I am not impressed.  YMMV.

• Love 4

If I remember correctly, Fleiss wanted Arie as TB way back when, and Arie turned it down. So he hasn't been just "sitting around" for six years waiting to be called to Hollywood. He had and still has a real career, and has kept a low profile ... well, except for dating Courtney for a while there. Ha ha! I'm in for a more mature season where, hopefully, contestants will be able to use proper pronouns and speak without adding like, like, like and like to every, you know, sentence, you know. Also hoping for a cameo by Jef. I remember many of us here wanted a Jef/Arie combo season. Who could say no to that?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, thejuicer said:

That's a classy response from Emily. See, Andi and Kaitlyn? That's how it's done.

I've always thought Arie and Emily ended things on good terms, at least how I remember their AFTR, so I don't see any reason why Emily would be unhappy about Arie. 

I started watching The Nation during Brad 2.0 season. IIRC, this is the third time they have skipped the previous season for the lead - Flapjack's women, JoJo's men and Rachel's men. I agree their pool is running shallow if they have to resurrect someone from six years ago. But I gotta laugh hard at all those thirsty men hoping ithinking they had a chance - Chase, Robby, etc.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I remember many of us here wanted a Jef/Arie combo season. Who could say no to that?

I could. I always thought Jef was a huge phony. I'm happy it's just Arie. While I don't believe he's looking for a wife on the show, he is charming, confident, and witty, and as long as there are some interesting women, his season is going to be good TV.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Hello Lady said:

Arie has run out of steam. He's old news, dating just about every 'ette thats been on the show. He was kind of cute, but he's looking to boost his flagging career imho.Another Nick with the same ending imnsho.

Sort of agree with this--six years since Emily's season and he's still available? He's got some 'splaining to do about his romantic failures imo.

• Love 3

I know y'all are excited, but well....scraping the bottom of the barrel much? Geeze Fleiss...why not just pick a nobody then? Start fresh? I KNOW Y'all are all excited. But this ain't the Arie you remember. This is him 6 years (and 20, 30 pounds?) later. He's not the same guy. And you KNOW they're gonna flood the place with blond insta-bimbos.

They may have one or 2 thirty-somethings with titles like "executive" but you know it's gonna be predominately 20-something white girls with vocal fry, fake boobs and extensions talking about Arie being like soooooo mature and crap. This is FLEISS people....you know he's gonna go for the titillation factor.

And ARIE? REALLY? Damn. Nobody else wanted the gig?

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Sort of agree with this--six years since Emily's season and he's still available? He's got some 'splaining to do about his romantic failures imo.

All you have to do is read Courtney's book to see what kind of a dater he is and she's on good terms with him!   But I don't care, its all a stupid reality TV show so Arie being a player isn't a big deal to me but I'm sure it will be for some. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

All he has to say is that after Emily broke his heart he spent the next six years drowning his sorrows in casual dating, but now he's finally ready to settle down.

• Love 4

Nick V is 36 now and Chris Soules is 35 now.  So a few years younger when they were cast.  From googling seems like the oldest to be cast was Byron, around 46 when he was on!  Wow!  Brad was 39 during season 15.

Yes I hope Arie gets girls closer to 30 and no 22-23 year old Corrines.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I've got no problem with someone being a personal trainer if that is, in fact, what they do.

Right.  Only sometimes Personal Trainer is code for Unemployed.  A big reason I never wanted Eric as the next Bach.  They need to have at least something to offer.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

If I remember correctly, Fleiss wanted Arie as TB way back when, and Arie turned it down.

He was supposed to be the Bachelor in 2015, but they dumped him in favor of Soules:

In 2015, former Bachelor Sean Lowe (whom befriended Luyendyk Jr. on Maynard’s season) told Dish Nation that the franchise producers extended an offer to Luyendyk Jr. to be the next Bachelor before reaching out to Chris Soules.

“From what I understand, the show, the producers that make the show, they wanted Arie,” said Lowe, but new executives at the network “were getting nervous. Like, Arie hadn’t been on TV in two years.”

Lowe’s claimed that Luyendyk Jr., who currently lives in Scottsdale, Arizona, had gotten as far as filming introductory segments when he learned he’d been replaced.

“They actually told Arie he was gonna be the Bachelor,” Lowe said. “They flew [him] down, had a camera crew, filmed him telling his family he was gonna be the next Bachelor – then pulled the rug out from underneath him and made Chris the Bachelor.”

I don't see this as Fleiss "teaching Peter a lesson when he wouldn't cooperate" or whatever as conjectured above. This is very much TPTB being forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel and pick up one of their former rejects when Peter wouldn't play their game and they couldn't get anyone else. Two years off of TV was too long for the network then, but now it will have been five years, and they're making the announcement a week later than expected? Yeah, this is desperation.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, fib said:

Arie may be the second coming of Andrew Firestone: wealthy/famous family.

I never heard of his family, so I did a trusty Google search & I see that his father won the Indy 500 twice.  I guess that is why I never heard of him, racing is one thing I never pay attention to.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CindyBee said:

All you have to do is read Courtney's book to see what kind of a dater he is and she's on good terms with him!   But I don't care, its all a stupid reality TV show so Arie being a player isn't a big deal to me but I'm sure it will be for some. 

Spill! What did Courtney say about him?! I know they dated for awhile.

1 hour ago, hnygrl said:

And ARIE? REALLY? Damn. Nobody else wanted the gig?

Oh, I'm sure there are LOTS who wanted the gig. Are you kidding me?! Macking out with a ton of women, free vaca, and Instagram shilling?! No manwhore in The Nation wants that?! 

Off the top of my head, I can think of Robby Hayes, Chase McNary, Luke Pell, Dean Unglert, etc. I'm sure it's not the men who want the gig that was found lacking. It's who Fleiss wants. What he thinks would be a hit with the fans, who would be controversial, who could carry a season, who could have those heart-to-heart with Chris Harrison, who could bring THE! MOST! DRAMATIC! SEASON! EVER!

I can believe that they chased Peter due to his fan favorite status even though Fleiss personally hates him. Fleiss is exactly the kind of dick who can look past his own personal preferences in the name of making money.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, fib said:

So much nicer of a take than Rachel "none of my top four should be the Bachelor" Lindsay. 

But this was 6 years ago, Arie chasing her and turning up at her door has been forgotten. Rachel is right by the way, Dean? Did you see him on BIP? Peter can't commit, Eric would have been good, he and Rach remain friends, but it's too soon for a black lead again. They had to go back 5/6 years.?lol!

Arie being a player isn't a big deal to me but I'm sure it will be for some. 

Its not a huge deal, for me he's like Nick, a famewhore.

22 minutes ago, TheOtherOne said:

He was supposed to be the Bachelor in 2015, but they dumped him in favor of Soules:

I don't see this as Fleiss "teaching Peter a lesson when he wouldn't cooperate" or whatever as conjectured above. This is very much TPTB being forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel and pick up one of their former rejects when Peter wouldn't play their game and they couldn't get anyone else. Two years off of TV was too long for the network then, but now it will have been five years, and they're making the announcement a week later than expected? Yeah, this is desperation.

Peter should never have been on the show, he needs to grow up, and get a new agent!

Edited by Hello Lady
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I could. I always thought Jef was a huge phony. I'm happy it's just Arie. While I don't believe he's looking for a wife on the show, he is charming, confident, and witty, and as long as there are some interesting women, his season is going to be good TV.

Jef with one F was a creep. Plagiarizing poems off the web.:) His hair was so stupid, he makes Robby look good( okay maybe not the last part) :) 

1 hour ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

He has dated a lot of women, and he doesn't seem to be able to settle down, sound familiar?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Spill! What did Courtney say about him?! I know they dated for awhile.

I'm not the original poster you replied to, but I've also read Courtney's book (it was deliciously trashy), and she just said that Arie is a player who always has several woman lined up. Apparently he invited Courtney to come to a weekend-long event with him, which she couldn't attend due to a scheduling conflict, so he just invited another woman without batting an eye. Of course this is only Courtney's side of the story, i.e. it should be taken with a grain of salt, but there were stories of him being a player even while Emily's season was airing. I tend to believe it since a handsome millionaire who genuinely wants to settle down would have no shortage of women chasing after him. Arie having been single all these years must have been by choice.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, slowpoked said:

I started watching The Nation during Brad 2.0 season. IIRC, this is the third time they have skipped the previous season for the lead - Flapjack's women, JoJo's men and Rachel's men. I agree their pool is running shallow if they have to resurrect someone from six years ago. But I gotta laugh hard at all those thirsty men hoping ithinking they had a chance - Chase, Robby, etc.

After seeing BIP this season, it's pretty easy to see why they needed to do a reject/restart with someone new or a fan favorite from the past. Whether Peter turned it down or he was not asked, he just doesn't seem to have the personality/confidence to be The Bachelor.  Arie will pull it off (whether he is really looking to get married or not) because he has something special (I am not believing those who say he lost his mojo!) and does not take himself too seriously. There is a reason why people have not forgotten him. 

• Love 6

Considering the outpouring of goodwill this man has received over the years, I'm happy with this choice. I called it weeks ago that a dip into the archives would be necessary. I didn't even watch Emily's season, but this was really the only move left (unless Fleiss had the cajones to cast Eric). 

They were never going to cast Peter, and there are no other viable contenders from Jojo or Rachel's seasons. Dean and Wells ruined their respective shots by appearing as utter douche lords on the worst BiP season in recorded history. Dean is now the ultimate man-child f*$&boi and Wells is a newly minted member of the Red Hat Club, with puppets. And we thought Peter had burned bridges? These two can't possibly redeem themselves in the court of public opinion.

I'm calling it now: Considering his new gig on Live with Kelly, Ryan Seacrest will be cast as Bachelor within the next 3 years. The reuse strategy is in the garbage pile now.

• Love 3

From MakeMeLaugh: "Sort of agree with this--six years since Emily's season and he's still available? He's got some 'splaining to do about his romantic failures imo." From Hello Lady: "He has dated a lot of women, and he doesn't seem to be able to settle down, sound familiar?" Geezy pete, I've been single and dating a lot since Trista's season. Doesn't mean I'm a dog or a cheater or commitment-phobe. I just have had a lot of dates who were. If Fleiss wants to gather 25-30 hotties for me and fly me around the United States and Europe plus pay me, I'd gladly commit/get engaged/actually get married to one on ABC's dime. So I hold no grudge with Arie being "out there" since Emily's season. He can't be worse than Flapjack, et. al.

• Love 17

Fleiss & Co can't resist the devil's candy ie a recycled cast member they HOPE will bring old viewers familiar with him and young viewers who will watch anyway.  

But, as someone noted, if the objective is to build audience base are the newer viewers really going to relate to a bachelor (ahem) aged 35+ with salt and pepper hair?  According to the press he's been part of the Bachelor universe for 5 (!) years.  That is an eternity when you consider what all the Bachelor alumni have done in that same time frame.

Some of the younger Bachelorettes have been naive and annoying but mostly free of baggage.  The age window will almost certainly have to be shifted older which means - what? - 28 minimum and at least half a dozen females aged 30+.  The odds increase substantially that they will be divorced or possibly had a broken engagement.  The odds also increase substantially of another Amanda ie one with kids in tow and a certain propensity to seek fame to pay for Stride Rite shoes and school fees to say nothing of the rent itself.  To be fair you can end up with a savvy, intelligent female who is self-aware and keeps her head but it would also be fair to say that self-aware females probably steer clear of 'finding love' or even attempting same on a reality show.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 3

I don't know, Rainsong. Emily commanded the highest paycheck of any b-ette ever, and she had kids (or kid), and her season was one of the most popular ever. My opinion doesn't matter at all, it's numbers that count with Fleiss. And Arie has always had a big fan base since Emily's season. (Plus there was that wall thing ... yowza. Ha ha!) And "older" people do watch this show, even if it might be skewed to college-aged females.

I just hope Fleiss doesn't cast a bunch of Twin-esque dumbbell women. I'd love to see a real fairy-tale romance season. Well, as "real" as this show can ever be.

• Love 9
55 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

From MakeMeLaugh: "Sort of agree with this--six years since Emily's season and he's still available? He's got some 'splaining to do about his romantic failures imo." From Hello Lady: "He has dated a lot of women, and he doesn't seem to be able to settle down, sound familiar?" Geezy pete, I've been single and dating a lot since Trista's season. Doesn't mean I'm a dog or a cheater or commitment-phobe. I just have had a lot of dates who were. If Fleiss wants to gather 25-30 hotties for me and fly me around the United States and Europe plus pay me, I'd gladly commit/get engaged/actually get married to one on ABC's dime. So I hold no grudge with Arie being "out there" since Emily's season. He can't be worse than Flapjack, et. al.

God, I suffered through Flapjack's shit of a season, so heck yeah, I deserve an Arie season!

50 minutes ago, Rainsong said:

Fleiss & Co can't resist the devil's candy ie a recycled cast member they HOPE will bring old viewers familiar with him and young viewers who will watch anyway.  

But, as someone noted, if the objective is to build audience base are the newer viewers really going to relate to a bachelor (ahem) aged 35+ with salt and pepper hair?  According to the press he's been part of the Bachelor universe for 5 (!) years.  That is an eternity when you consider what all the Bachelor alumnae have done in that same time frame.

Some of the younger Bachelorettes have been naive and annoying but mostly free of baggage.  The age window will almost certainly have to be shifted older which means - what? - 28 minimum and at least half a dozen females aged 30+.  The odds increase substantially that they will be divorced or possibly had a broken engagement.  The odds also increase substantially of another Amanda ie one with kids in tow and a certain propensity to seek fame to pay for Stride Rite shoes and school fees to say nothing of the rent itself.  To be fair you can end up with a savvy, intelligent female who is self-aware and keeps her head but it would also be fair to say that self-aware females probably steer clear of 'finding love' or even attempting same on a reality show.

I'm sure Arie will undergo the requisite makeover with the Fleiss team. If they could even sell a Flapjack season with ladies going gaga over him, I'm sure they'll have an easier time with Arie, whose base level of attractiveness is already miles ahead of Flapjack.

I mean, let's be realistic here, out of the 20-25 ladies they'll cast, I would say only around 5-10 would be genuinely interested in Arie and a possible love match. The rest just wants a lifetime membership with The Nation.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Arie will pull it off (whether he is really looking to get married or not) because he has something special (I am not believing those who say he lost his mojo!) and does not take himself too seriously. There is a reason why people have not forgotten him. 

Right.  Arie had more  swagger than any other bachelor I can think of.  The way he kissed Emily in some foreign alley is still burnt on my brain.  The show will clean him up a little like they do all their leads and he'll look more than fine.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Rainsong said:

The age window will almost certainly have to be shifted older which means - what? - 28 minimum and at least half a dozen females aged 30+.  

Not necessarily. Nick was 36 for his Bachelor lead casting. I was positive that meant no one younger than 28 would be cast - WRONG! We got a bunch of mid-20s Corinne-esque girls. Based on age alone, the only three I could have seen Nick with were Rachel, Danielle M., and Vanessa. No matter the age of the Bachelor, you're still going to see a cast of mainly 23-26-year-old Instagram models.

• Love 3