Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Palomar said:

Great news!!  I always thought Arie was the best looking Bachelorette contestant they ever had. 

Me too, although I'd have to say he was tied for first place with Ian from Meredith's season.

• Love 2

OK, I did not see Emily's season, so I have not seen this wall kissing thing, and I hadn't even seen what this guy looked like before now either. I've just heard how hot the kiss was and how hot the dude is. So I just googled him, and... really? He looks kinda doofy to me. Not a troll or anything, but hardly swoon-inducing. Of course, my opinion on hotness rarely seems to align very well with the majority, but still. I can usually at least see why one might find some of these guys attractive, even I don't. But this guy? I don't see it. Shrug.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

From MakeMeLaugh: "Sort of agree with this--six years since Emily's season and he's still available? He's got some 'splaining to do about his romantic failures imo." From Hello Lady: "He has dated a lot of women, and he doesn't seem to be able to settle down, sound familiar?" Geezy pete, I've been single and dating a lot since Trista's season. Doesn't mean I'm a dog or a cheater or commitment-phobe. I just have had a lot of dates who were. If Fleiss wants to gather 25-30 hotties for me and fly me around the United States and Europe plus pay me, I'd gladly commit/get engaged/actually get married to one on ABC's dime. So I hold no grudge with Arie being "out there" since Emily's season. He can't be worse than Flapjack, et. al.

I would watch your season--apply now!

• Love 3

I saw a story on him today and they referred to him as the pre-instagram bachelor and now I feel old.   

@kingshearte  you kind of have to watch him in action.  On Emily's season he came across as doofy looking at first and then he got hotter.  He has charm up the wazoo!

• Love 8

I think y'all can forget about them 'aging up' the bach'ettes. 

Arie Likes 'em young.  I think 30 or even 28 would be too old for him.

I know everyone is so hyped that it's him but I'm kinda bummed out. His reputation as a F**kboy precedes him and that doesn't bode well for a "fairytale" ending. I think we're looking at another Bob Guiney, aka Blob, ending to be hones. This season's gonna suck. House full of 20-something insta-bimbettes and a f**kboy.

Yay.  Wonder how much they had to pay him? He's DEFINITELY gonna be on DTWS afterwards too...

Go ahead, defend him. It's cool.

Maybe I'm wrong and he'll get the edit of a lifetime show him to be a standup guy. It's all smoke and mirrors and fantasy island anyway...ah well...kinda was hoping for a black guy but....who? None of the past season's black gentlemen fit the mold...

• Love 3

We spent a lot of time & posts debating the pros & cons of Chris versus Arie for the lead of season 19.  Ahhh, good times.  (The Season 19 Spoiler thread is still available.)

I'm happy enough with Arie and think he's probably going to do a good job.  I think he'll be compliant enough, without being a total puppet.  

We'll see, but I'm cautiously optimistic.  And I think Arie is still hot as hell.  And as others have mentioned, you really have to see him in action.  Static photographs don't do him justice. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I saw some of those famous kissing scenes and he just looks like a face-sucker to me.  Not impressed.

He was. We used to call him "The Tongue" on the previous forum during Emily's season. With today's SM activity and the way that Bryan's kissing was mocked, this is not gonna end well.

Edited by wonald
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, atomic said:

Jef is dragging Arie on Twitter right now LOL. Never heard about this falling out between them before.

Hmmm...this is interesting. I remember thinking how it was funny that the two became sort of best friends after Jef/Emily broke up. They were attached at the hip. Wonder what happened.

1 hour ago, LBS said:

I saw a story on him today and they referred to him as the pre-instagram bachelor and now I feel old.   

@kingshearte  you kind of have to watch him in action.  On Emily's season he came across as doofy looking at first and then he got hotter.  He has charm up the wazoo!

Haha, OMG! That is such an accurate description of him. I'm sure after this season, Arie will get his fair share of Instagram shilling too.

• Love 2

MakeMeLaugh, I would apply for Arie's season in a heartbeat. A HEARTBEAT. Heck, I would even become a member of Bachelor Nation and go on BIP afterward ... Oh, except I would be engaged to Arie, so there's that. Hey, a kid can dream, no? And yeah, there was a TON of debate here (either here or TWoP, it blurs) about Jef vs. Arie vs. Soules. While Flapjack was "the type" for some, Arie is the type for me. I remember other bachelors "stealing" his patented wall kiss. Seems like Sean Lowe was one. (Didn't he run down a dark alley shouting "EMMILY .... EEEEMILY!") But no one did it like Arie. This will be a fun season, with lots of action in these PTV threads even if there's not much action on the show. Yeay!

• Love 10

So Arie ? I liked him fine the 1st time around but 5 years later at 35 and given his rich, playboy history, I'm not expecting anything meaningful to come of this season, so this will be the 1st time I'll be watching for the "wrong" reasons, for tv entertainment. If I wasn't a hopeless romantic, I'd smart up and do that every season.  Don't disappoint me Arie and your Bettes.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 1

Hmmmm, that's interesting that Peter is "disappointed" that he's not the Bachelor.    Guess his "lesson learned" was not to be so wishy washy when there were other guys that WOULD do what they are told!

Wonder who pulled the plug?  Fleiss?  Millsy?   Someone higher up in the ABC food chain?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, kingshearte said:

OK, I did not see Emily's season, so I have not seen this wall kissing thing, and I hadn't even seen what this guy looked like before now either. I've just heard how hot the kiss was and how hot the dude is. So I just googled him, and... really? He looks kinda doofy to me. Not a troll or anything, but hardly swoon-inducing. Of course, my opinion on hotness rarely seems to align very well with the majority, but still. I can usually at least see why one might find some of these guys attractive, even I don't. But this guy? I don't see it. Shrug.

Yup, that's me. Never got it with Arie and didn't get it this season with Peter. What I will say is that I think both guys have beautiful eyes and I do think Peter photographs well, which probably explains his small success as a model. But on their respective season of The Bachelorette - didn't get it. I agree about never being impressed with Arie's supposedly amazing kissing skills and well Peter spent all of Rachel's season speaking like he was a robot seconds away from malfunctioning. But like you, I accept that what many think is hot is always different from my opinion. That said, after this clusterfuck, Arie was pretty much their only hope. 

I don't care what either party says, I firmly believe that the producers had designs on Peter as the next Bachelor and probably did so during Rachel's season as they often do for their next leads. And I believe Peter was well aware of that fact and more than okay with it. And so they crafted the season perfectly as they always do, to sell their next lead, in this case Peter. However, unfortunately for them, he sold his, "this process is too quick to become engaged" stance a little too strongly and so he started getting a small level of criticism about the possibility of him becoming the next lead and how that would make him seem like a hypocrite. 

Mind you, the criticism was small because Peter is quite beloved but a glance at Peter's social media behavior makes it very clear that dude does not handle any criticism well. And so I think he started second-guessing the decision to do it. I still believe the first People article was both sides - him and the producers - playing hardball in negotiation. Then some agreement was met that was going to happen when GMA first tweeted they were going to announce the next Bachelor but then something happened again and it all fell apart. But since they'd focused so heavily on Peter and didn't groom anyone else from Rachel's season as even a viable option, they were screwed. 

The residual love for Luke that existed after he was passed over for Nick, was virtually gone after all the stuff about him came out, no one wanted to see Robby as the Bachelor because seriously, no. And I'm not sure Wells seriously wanted to do it. Wells from what I've observed strikes me as someone content with wading in Bachelor world while still maintaining his normal life in Nashville and basically just drinking, going to concerts and rescuing dogs. 

As for Arie and Jef, yeah something definitely went down between them. They were definitely close during and after Emily's season. It was one of the things I found interesting considering how intense the battle between the Jef fans and Arie fans were that season (it was nothing like the Peter adoration though. Emily didn't get nearly the dragging Rachel got for not picking people's special snowflake). That the two guys in question got along just fine. And after Jef and Emily's split, there were hangouts in Arizona, where Arie lived, Salt Lake, where Jef lived, etc. And then they just stopped being friends. But this was all pre the dominance of social media in Bachelor world so no one really knew what happened. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

EVERY SEASON there are questions about who's chosen. EVERY SEASON the front-runners are "shocked" and "disappointed" when they are supposedly led to believe it's them, but somebody else is chosen.  EVERY SEASON the "fan favorite" has the rug pulled out from under them at the last minute.  EVERY SEASON the producers have talks, film intros and promos with several candidates. 

Are these people just so lazy and stupid that they read NOTHING about the past seasons and just assume that what has happened to lots of others would never happen to them?  But then I suppose having a super-sized ego and the ability to completely deny reality is a requirement for being on this show anyway.   

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 9

I honestly never am attracted to the guys on this show but Arie was the exception.  I thought his charm and personality made him sexy (plus I'm Dutch so that's kind of fun). But we all know how when we get more of somebody we like on this show it usually ruins them for us...

• Love 10
1 minute ago, leighdear said:

Are these people just so lazy and stupid that they read NOTHING about the past seasons and just assume that what has happened to lots of other would never happen to them?

Sounds like Peter. Who wants to bet he told Fleiss & Co. that they would have a "mediocre" season without him?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

MakeMeLaugh, I would apply for Arie's season in a heartbeat. A HEARTBEAT. Heck, I would even become a member of Bachelor Nation and go on BIP afterward ... Oh, except I would be engaged to Arie, so there's that. Hey, a kid can dream, no? And yeah, there was a TON of debate here (either here or TWoP, it blurs) about Jef vs. Arie vs. Soules. While Flapjack was "the type" for some, Arie is the type for me. I remember other bachelors "stealing" his patented wall kiss. Seems like Sean Lowe was one. (Didn't he run down a dark alley shouting "EMMILY .... EEEEMILY!") But no one did it like Arie. This will be a fun season, with lots of action in these PTV threads even if there's not much action on the show. Yeay!

See, I only remember Sean (still hot imo, before he went revirginny on his own show) kissing Emily up against the wall in an alley. I must have missed the Arie tonsil licking episode. She really had good-looking baches. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

See, I only remember Sean (still hot imo, before he went revirginny on his own show) kissing Emily up against the wall in an alley. 

I believe you are confusing Sean with Arie.  That kiss was the hottest thing ever.  I still have the link. 

Reality Steve isn't circulating anything that isn't readily available to anybody that's interested.  Expect TMZ, In Touch and every other show, chatter site or tabloid to drag out every scrap of gossip about Arie and his horndog ways.  

He's always been that horndog.  Probably always will be.  But that doesn't mean he can't be The Bachelor.  Look at vile Nick.  

But I find Arie attractive, smooth, rich and charming, so I cut him a break.  I will never cut Nick a break because he disgusts me.  YMMV. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I believe you are confusing Sean with Arie.  That kiss was the hottest thing ever.  I still have the link. 

Au contraire, I am sure Sean pulled the same move (but Arie can now try it out again on a couple dozen new bachelorettes!).

Here you go:  http://www.wetpaint.com/whose-bachelorette-wall-kiss-was-hotter-aries-or-seans-707880/ 

Arie Luyendyk, Jr. backed Emily Maynard against an alley wall for a steamy smooch session in Dubrovnik. Sean Lowe backed Emily against an alley wall for a steamy smooch session in Prague.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
7 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Not necessarily. Nick was 36 for his Bachelor lead casting. I was positive that meant no one younger than 28 would be cast - WRONG! We got a bunch of mid-20s Corinne-esque girls. Based on age alone, the only three I could have seen Nick with were Rachel, Danielle M., and Vanessa. No matter the age of the Bachelor, you're still going to see a cast of mainly 23-26-year-old Instagram models.

Oh goody, Corinne x15. Arie interviewed sounded just like Nick Vile. Of course he's ready to settle down ,roflmao! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

MakeMeLaugh, I would apply for Arie's season in a heartbeat. A HEARTBEAT. Heck, I would even become a member of Bachelor Nation and go on BIP afterward ... Oh, except I would be engaged to Arie, so there's that. Hey, a kid can dream, no? 

You'd be smart to start learning Dutch as part of your preparation.  Remember that Arie and his family are immigrants from the Netherlands, and they all still speak Dutch fluently and think nothing of talking about Arie's dates in Dutch right in front of them.  If you can bust out a little Dutch of your own, you'll catch him off-guard -- AND impress the hell out of him!

Oh, and for what it's worth, Arie turns 36 on September 18.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

You'd be smart to start learning Dutch as part of your preparation.  Remember that Arie and his family are immigrants from the Netherlands, and they all still speak Dutch fluently and think nothing of talking about Arie's dates in Dutch right in front of them.  If you can bust out a little Dutch of your own, you'll catch him off-guard -- AND impress the hell out of him!

Didn't they speak Dutch in front of Emily on the hometown date? I thought that was quite rude, because it didn't seem like any of them were incapable of expressing themselves in English, they were just deliberately excluding Emily from the conversation. Say what you will about Emily, but she did have perfect manners and was gracious to everyone she interacted with, so that was uncalled for. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Didn't they speak Dutch in front of Emily on the hometown date? I thought that was quite rude, because it didn't seem like any of them were incapable of expressing themselves in English, they were just deliberately excluding Emily from the conversation. Say what you will about Emily, but she did have perfect manners and was gracious to everyone she interacted with, so that was uncalled for. 

They did, and I agree that it was extremely rude of them to do so.  That's why I'm glad that I speak Dutch -- they'd get maybe about three sentences out in front of me before I answered and embarrassed the hell out of all of them. Hence my advice to the ladies is: Start learning Dutch now (or brush up on it) as a purely defensive measure!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

They did, and I agree that it was extremely rude of them to do so.  That's why I'm glad that I speak Dutch -- they'd get maybe about three sentences out in front of me before I answered and embarrassed the hell out of all of them. Hence my advice to the ladies is: Start learning Dutch now (or brush up on it) as a purely defensive measure!

Have you watched the past couple of season? The intellectual caliber of the participants isn't what it used to be.

• Love 2

Usually I prefer to watch the "experienced player" type (charming, smooth talking with sex appeal) of Bachelors than the squares (Ben H, Sean) or those who can't string a sentence together (Chris Soules) or the cry babies (Nick V). Hope Arie doesn't start tearing up like Nick did every episode.

I don't consider Arie a f-boy. He's on another level above that. Dean is a f-boy. Arie is a experienced player, if those stories of him are true.

I just hope this season would be entertaining, wrong or right reason.

• Love 8

Are they going to pull another double Bachelor thing like they did during the bachelorette season? One would hope not. Since ratings have been sinking they are trying to drum up drama out of nothing.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Do it! Do it! Where's that number to call up to nominate someone for the show?? I nominate Saber!!! Ladies, this is the opportunity that our group here has been waiting for! Without a doubt, the Arie love--more than ANY other bachelor--has maintained a strong foothold in the Previously.tv territory of Bachelor Nation. We NEED one of our own out there to root for. Then when you become an official member of Bachelor Family, we're all going to hop into your photo ops and eat free scallops and bask in the Arie Aura!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, wonald said:

Ooohh, it's getting exciting already. Did Arie break up with her knowing he's being strongly considered for The Bachelor?!

It looks like they've been going out for awhile and they've traveled to places. And man, Arie does like them young, huh? I guess we won't get any shortage of 20-year old IG models this coming season. Sigh....

• Love 4

She looks a little like the twins.  I didn't think I ever wanted to see them again, but if they go after Arie and a truly nasty sibling rivalry comes out of it, that could be fun for everyone.

This is starting to shape up to be one of those Regency romance set-ups where the young Viscount Aristotle, dashing rake with a wild reputation, decides it's time to marry and produce an heir.  All the debutantes are paraded before him, but what Duke's daughter disguised as a chambermaid will finally tame him?

• Love 12

I've never cared for Arie too much, but I don't Nick Vile dislike him, so I'll be watching. I'm a 98% wrong reasons watcher (2% of the time I surprise myself) so I'm good with the drama. I personally don't find Arie attractive but if he can bring the bachelor flair it'll do. 

• Love 3

I feel so wierd, because I have watched every season and Arie to me was just yuk...I did not understand why everyone was so crazy for him.

I loved Andrew Firestone, but maybe I go more for personality than anything.

57 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Maybe they have another Bachelor to unveil, and make this season Choose Your Bachelor Edition ala-Kaitlyn vs. Britt.

they did that on Byrons season :)

• Love 3