Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

As another baseball season comes to a close, I'm reminded of this quote from A. Bartlett Giamatti, the late baseball commissioner.  As a lifelong Met fan, I've had more disappointing finishes than I can remember.  For the Indians and their fans:

"It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops."

• Love 9

That was fun, well fun for everyone except Cleveland fans. Sorry to all of you, I know what it's like to see my team lose, but not what it's like to see them lose in extra innings, in game 7, of a world series where they at one point held a 3-1 series lead. It must be excruciating, and with the way your team played through most of this post season you don't deserve such an ignominious end. 

Congrats to the Cubs and their fans though, now the owner of baseball's shortest championship drought!

For all you other baseball fans I can't wait until Spring when we start the long road back to possible November baseball, the very best kind of baseball!

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 7

Well. You think the world will end soon? And I can imagine the celebration in the afterlife in the Chicago section. Harry Carray is leading the celebration. For some reason, I see Jake Blues with him. BTW, yea or nay on the Budweiser commercial with Harry after the win? And I liked Bill Murray honking the MVP car horn.

Kinda regret missing most of the game. At least I'm unemployed, so I wouldn't have to wake up early and turn on ESPN to see the results, like I did with the NBA Finals. I know it took ten innings and a rain delay, but I think kids outside of Chicago and Cleveland should have seen history before going to bed on a school night.

Chicago Cubs: World Champions. That's kinda scary.

Note to Sandy Alderson: If Cespedes ends up with the Nationals, I might come down to Citi Field and have words with you.

• Love 3

What a game! That has got to be one of the best games in playoff history. So many congratulations to the Cubs, whose fans were more than overdue. My condolences to the Indians--that was a game you somehow wish both teams could have won, they matched the Cubs punch for punch. I love Tito and got a little choked up in his brief postgame interview. Great series and great Game 7.

Joe Maddon is the most relieved guy in the world right now. As someone else said, they won despite him, not because of him.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 7

I cried for twenty minutes after the final out.  I went to college in Chicago and loved going to Wrigley Field; I'm not a huge baseball fan, but Wrigley Field is special.  I wanted the Cubs to win so badly and wanted it for Chicago.  Best. game. EVER!!!!!!!

• Love 12

Longtime Cubs fan.  I am old enough to remember the disastrous collapse in 1969 (I was a kid).  An uncle played for the Cubs minor league team for a few years.  I remember my grandpa listening to the games on the radio, win or lose.  The games we'd see on tv, maybe on Saturday or Sunday.  Trips to Wrigley for a special weekend.  Didn't matter if they were on the bottom of the division, there would still be a good crowd at Wrigley.

I was so nervous I couldn't watch the playoffs or Series on tv.  I'd peek at the score online or via my phone.  My mom, who's almost 90, has followed the Cubs this year even more closely (her cable has Fox Chicago, so she got a lot of games broadcast).  She sort of said they need to win this year, or I'll never see it.  

When they got down 3 to 1, we were all thinking oh crap, they're done.  At least they got to the World Series.  But no, this team wouldn't quit.  A good lesson period, no matter what, do not give up, never say never.  

I've been alternating between yelling, whooping, clapping and then crying.  I still cannot believe that they finally won.  I lived for a while in Michigan, years ago, when the Tigers won the Series.  I was thrilled for them, cheered them on, but it doesn't compare to this at all.    I'll admit, when Cleveland tied it at 6-6, I thought oh here we go again. I could almost barely breathe as I saw it was 2 outs with the Cubs ahead by 1 run. Then I saw the magic word on the score - FINAL.  

#Fly the W

• Love 12

I remember the 14 year old girl in 2003 who cried after losing the NLCS (yes, Bartman). She's not going to be crying in the same way now.

And yes, that girl was me. I'm 27 now.

So fucking proud. As painful as this game was to watch at times, how ELSE did I expect the Cubs to finally end their drought?

It had to be a fight. And it was.

Good night, everyone.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 11

It was a whole season, so many years (perhaps even 108, although I personally can't attest to that), packed into one game for this Cubs fan.  It started with so much hope, then turned into unexpected anticipation that 'yes, this is finally going to happen', only to have your legs cut out from under you again....they broke my heart again.  But then.....then, they didn't quit and Oh My God, I have hope/anticipation again in the tenth, only to leak it again in the bottom of the tenth.  And then.....And then!!!  

I am exhausted.  I guess this was the only way it could happen...making us relive (in one night) all those horrible nightmare seasons that came before only to change the final page! 

What a fantastic Series.  All respect to Cleveland and their fans.

PS:  After celebrating for awhile, my thoughts turn to movingtargetgal!!  Please tell me this isn't on you!

• Love 11
3 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I cried for twenty minutes after the final out.  I went to college in Chicago and loved going to Wrigley Field; I'm not a huge baseball fan, but Wrigley Field is special.  I wanted the Cubs to win so badly and wanted it for Chicago.  Best. game. EVER!!!!!!!

As Jim Nantz said on Tiger's historic Masters win in 1997, and would probably say now (even though he's not a baseball announcer): "There it is-- a win for the ages!"

• Love 4

It's a beautiful day for a ball game. For a ball game today. The fans are out to buy a ticket or two. From Walla Walla Washington to Kalamazoo. It's a beautiful day for a homerun but even a triples okay. We're gonna cheer and boo and raise a hullabaloo at the ball game today.

• Love 6

Congrats to the Cubs and their fans. Incredible year and incredible comeback. 

Soooo......can Theo come GM for the Knicks?  Im kind of not joking about that.  The man is a genius and instant Hall of Famer.  To have his hand in breaking 2 of the longest most memorable droughts in baseball history is amazing.  And just like in Boston, I dont think its going to be long before the Cubs win again.

This team is so good it overcame Maddon doing everything he could to throw the game away.  i mean there were so many wtf is he doing decisions that could have drowned any lesser team. But those guys are so mentally tough.  I tip my cap to the players for sure for never giving up.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 3

I have no words.

I'm angry, sad, hurt.

I thought I'd be happy for the Cubs, but I hate the fact that there are none to few people of darker skin in their stands.

Maybe I would be if Chicago won in 6, rather than tease me with a Game 7 tie for extra innings.

Tito's biggest mistakes were starting Travis f*g Bauer the 2nd time and Josh Tomlin on short rest.

This one hurts worse I think.  At least in '97 we were down 3-2 in the Series before winning Game 6.

We were up 3-1 $!#$%/_!^&  WE HAD THREE GAMES TO WIN ONE - TWO AT HOME!

ETA : Now I have Travis f*g Bauer to go with Jose f*g Mesa.  

Edited by roamyn

That was an amazing game!! The Cubs and the Indians both played great, and it's everything I could ask for in a game. I slept like a baby, I was so exhausted after that nail-biter. It looks like both teams have young teams and could be in the running for years to come. I look forward to what both teams will do in the future.

Go Cubs!! 108 years is a crazy number and I am glad the curse is broken!!!!  Love my Cubs!

• Love 3

I'm not from Chicago and I don't even watch much baseball but I stayed up until the very end last night.  Congrats to the Cubs!

Condolences to the Cleveland fans.

However, I don't care if LeBron made a video congratulating the Cubs and comforting the Indians.   LeBron can go suck it.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

However, I don't care if LeBron made a video congratulating the Cubs and comforting the Indians.   LeBron can go suck it.

I know this is a baseball thread, but why do you hate LeBron so? 

I'm so tired this morning! Stayed up late watching the game and post-game interviews. But it was worth it. 

Congrats, Cubs

• Love 2

So anyone else have way too much post-game adrenaline running through their veins last night and end up staying awake until 3:22am watching ESPN?  (I am such an idiot.)

Congratulations, to the Cubs and their fans.

I liked seeing Bill Murray's beaming face.  I'll always fondly remember the games he called for Harry when Harry was ill, so for me it would take a lot for Bill to wear out his welcome.

And I'm sorry to all the long suffering Indians fans.  Wait till next year...when the Os win!!  :-)

Ditto on the condolences AND your optimistic outlook for the O's.  However, over the break, can you teach the Orioles to freaking win on the road?  Playing .600 ball only at Camden ain't going to cut it.

I need sleep.   Must have more sleep...

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, amaranta said:

So anyone else have way too much post-game adrenaline running through their veins last night and end up staying awake until 3:22am watching ESPN?  (I am such an idiot.)

No way. I had to get up at 4:45am to go to work. I watched about ten minutes of post game stuff and then went to bed. So here I sit at my cubicle with about 4 hours of sleep. Gonna be a fun day. 

IMG_1598.JPG

• Love 2

Not a slight, just an observation?

Besides the winning hit in last night's game, what were Zobrist's stats for the series?

I think that the middle infield had some fucking GREAT plays - not only in the Series, but the playoffs, too?

Now for the slight?

With the 108 year old elephant off their back, can we have a gentler, kinder bunch of Chi-town fans at the games across the nation? I know that it's a pretty hefty crown to wear? But your neck muscles will get used to the crown, Now you all need to buck up and act like champs!

Our Nation turns it's lonely eyes to you. Woo, Woo, Woo!

Go Baseball!

and Congrats.

Instead of extra innings MLB should go to a tie breaker like hockey, futbol.

End the game after 9 innings, bring out a pitching machine (run by the umpires) and have a 'home run derby'.

Pick the five best hitters on each side and bombs away.

That way there is no chance of winning the game on an error or ball hit for extra bases.

---------

The Favorite Moment the I Will Always Cherish was the home the almost killed the cameraman in left field, that was fucking epic.

I laughed my ass off and tried to wake up the old lady, but she was having none of it.

• Love 1

If Maddon's machinations had cost my Cubbies the win, he would have been our New Bartman.  Fortunately, his butt was saved by Jason Heyward, who got the team together during the rain delay and gave them a pep talk.  Dude couldn't hit for shizzle, but he could field and it turns out he is a character guy and a leader.

Cleveland should have kidnapped Theo, Jed etal. and put them to work on the Browns!

Can any baseball nerds out there tell me (or refer me to website) how those players who get rings is determined?  Is it just those on the last roster or do you need to have put in x number of games?  "cuz it seems almost unfair to give a ring to Schwarber who played 3 games in the regular season and not one to the fifth starter, Jason Hammel or a great utility/pinch hitter like Matt Szczur?

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

The Favorite Moment the I Will Always Cherish was the home the almost killed the cameraman in left field, that was fucking epic.

I laughed my ass off and tried to wake up the old lady, but she was having none of it.

One of the Cubs (I forget which one) said he loved that camera shot, even though watching the actual home run made him want to throw up. 

• Love 3

I honestly don't know how any of y'all lived through that game. I'm betting there will be an uptick in obituaries in the very near term:  "He died clutching his beer, cursing at another pitching change."

Good on the ol' Cubbies.

• Love 9

I could kiss you right now.  I hope that's not too forward but I'm a forward type of gal.

I am one of the few people who does not view Joe Buck with the vitriol that I have seen many, many others do, but when he gave LeBron's stats during one of the games I wanted to punch him in the esophagus.  I'm watching baseball Joe.  I don't CARE what LeBron did.  Or does.  Or where he is sitting.  Or what laundry he is wearing.  Or how he feels about Cleveland.  I don't.  If it weren't for the Theo factor, I would have never ever rooted for the Indians because of the way the media constantly connected the two teams.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, attica said:

I honestly don't know how any of y'all lived through that game. I'm betting there will be an uptick in obituaries in the very near term:  "He died clutching his beer, cursing at another pitching change."

I know death isn't funny, so why are you making me laugh hysterically?

I'm not a baseball expert by any means, but even I was like, "WTF, Joe? Why are you pulling him already???"

• Love 3
4 hours ago, roamyn said:

I thought I'd be happy for the Cubs, but I hate the fact that there are none to few people of darker skin in their stands.

that's not really fair though... it's kinda happened historically and geographically that Cubs are more of a Northern area team, and Sox - Southern... It's not like there are bouncers standing at Wrigley and turning all non-white fans around...

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

that's not really fair though... it's kinda happened historically and geographically that Cubs are more of a Northern area team, and Sox - Southern... It's not like there are bouncers standing at Wrigley and turning all non-white fans around...

I lived there for 6.5 years.

it's all white Gen X & Baby Boomers and entitled Millenials.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

Can any baseball nerds out there tell me (or refer me to website) how those players who get rings is determined?  Is it just those on the last roster or do you need to have put in x number of games? 

There is no "one set rule." All players on the MLB roster who play during the year, will get rings. It doesn't depend even if they're still on the team or not- or even if they played in the playoffs.  Nomar Garciaparra was traded during the 2004 season but got a ring for his half season on the Red Sox. The rings will cost a certain amount of $$$$ - it depends on how much *bling* is on the ring, so if anything it'll come down to ownership on who will get rings for the rest of the team- clubhouse, front office, etc.  I think after 108 years Tom Ricketts will open up the wallet and spread the love.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, basiltherat said:

If Maddon's machinations had cost my Cubbies the win, he would have been our New Bartman.  Fortunately, his butt was saved by Jason Heyward, who got the team together during the rain delay and gave them a pep talk.  Dude couldn't hit for shizzle, but he could field and it turns out he is a character guy and a leader.

Cleveland should have kidnapped Theo, Jed etal. and put them to work on the Browns!

Can any baseball nerds out there tell me (or refer me to website) how those players who get rings is determined?  Is it just those on the last roster or do you need to have put in x number of games?  "cuz it seems almost unfair to give a ring to Schwarber who played 3 games in the regular season and not one to the fifth starter, Jason Hammel or a great utility/pinch hitter like Matt Szczur?

More importantly?

The winning shares!

My mom always said about engagement/wedding rings that were over the top? "You can't eat the ring!" - meaning if you fell on hard times and needed cash (she was from the depression era).....

The will pool the cash and divvy it up - some of the cash will even go to the bat/ball boys, which I find to be very cool..........

54 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

it's kinda happened historically and geographically

...With a little help from redlining, of course. But that's a discush for other days/forums.

1 hour ago, topanga said:

I know death isn't funny

Pshaw. Death is often funny. Sometimes even for the deceased.

• Love 1

Still feeling bad for Cleveland but reading about their post game interviews I can't help having so much respect for that team. I'm sure they are thinking "what if" regarding all the injuries they had to deal with all season. I'm sure if they hey had two healthy starters this would have been a different outcome- those three that were pitching their butts off were gassed the past three games. It's as if they knew deep down that this was the Cubs year, and they did the best they could on what they had. Kudos to them.

• Love 5

Rajai's home run is one of the craziest things I've ever seen.  I am very glad I was watching that.

I'm very happy for the Cubs.  I really like them, and they are such a good team.  I became a fan in 3 games.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

That was a great and crazy game! I spent most of it relieved that I did not have a horse in the race and feeling bad that someone had to lose it! Congrats to the Cubs and their fans, so many have waited so long to enjoy this and they deserve it. The Tribe was a fun team to watch and they have a strong future ahead! Glad to see they are taking the loss as best as they can, I'm sure it was disappointing to have gotten there and put up such a fight when they had so many obstacles was still amazing. Man, I am going to miss baseball for these dark months! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

I lived there for 6.5 years.

it's all white Gen X & Baby Boomers and entitled Millenials.

In fairness, it's not like these stadiums have "Whites Only" signs posted out front. Anyone who was willing to pay the ticket prices could've attended the World Series.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

In fairness, it's not like these stadiums have "Whites Only" signs posted out front. Anyone who was willing to pay the ticket prices could've attended the World Series.

I like racism.

I can't imagine driving at 200 miles an hour.

1 hour ago, attica said:

Pshaw. Death is often funny. Sometimes even for the deceased.

My dad intro'ed me to baseball, he was a casual fan, but his love of the game was apparent.

Pops died on Halloween, right after 9/11 and we buried him the day after the Series ended, so this time of year is pretty special?

The day he died I had the job of taking my younger brother to make arrangements at the funeral home. We were kinda stunned and making stupid jokes, trying to keep it light. We were getting kinda morbid so I apologized to the funeral director and she said that it was OK, she had people show up and begin to fight while getting things in order.

We got to the part where we  had to pick out the prayer cards, the director gave us the book to look thru and choose some.

She told is we could have one picture on the cards or a set with six different pics.  I started to laugh and blurted out.....

"Dad finally got his own trading card, Collect All Six!"

I began to laugh harder and cry at the same time.

I finally managed to gather myself up and tell the FD that she could keep the gum.....

That gave me the idea of printing up my own cards with my stats on the back, for shits and giggles.

• Love 7