Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Is Bryce Harper teeny or is size relative?  He took a picture with the Duke men's basketball team after their game today and he was the shortest guy in the photo. And these kids are a good three to five years younger than he is.

He's 6'2"  his brother is 6'5", so he'd be a small basketball player, not Mugsy Bogues small but less then average height basketball player size.

Speaking of Nationals players (or former ones now)

Danny Espinosa was traded to the Angels for 2 pitching prospects.

Edited by jennifer6973

Got an e-mail from the Mets announcing their Free Shirt Friday offerings. Sadly, the shirts in the link don't appear that large. The one that I saw in the mail was honoring Jose Reyes on April 21, which . . . no. Not for another year. I mean, nice that he's sticking around, cool that he's open to playing the outfield, but I wouldn't have gone with him. Especially after the Familia fiasco. And because these are night games, I won't be going, since I'd wind up coming home after midnight.

Got last week's edition of Sports Illustrated on Tuesday. Got to the back page, and imagine my surprise to find out that the All-Star Game will no longer determine home field advantage in the World Series. Good.

Craig Sager died today. He was an NBA guy, but I'm posting here because he was on the cover of SI this year. So was Vin Scully. Really hope he can enjoy his retirement.

ETA: Any other Mets fans root for a different David Wright on Survivor in the past few months? While that David was a bit of a neurotic mess, he transformed into a player to be reckoned with. winding up the last person voted out of the game (fourth out of 20). Also: he never got injured, as opposed to the David Wright that Mets fans know, love, and get concerned about on a yearly basis.

In the game in which Hank Aaron hit number 715 Craig Sager managed to get into the camera pit and ran onto the field while Hank was trotting (he can be seen in some of the footage) and got some sound bites from Hank's mother.

I'm not a basketball fan but I loved Craig Sager and his crazy jackets and know he will be missed by many.

• Love 2

Sox trade Clay for and A ball second baseman to the Phils and their overcrowded rotation.

Scratching my head on this one.  I'm guessing salary dump for the Sox and some of those kids in Philadelphia might not have hit their rehab targets.  Either way I wish him the best and the Phils might do well for themselves flipping him at the deadline.

• Love 1

Read in the Daily News that the Mets are/were pursing McCutchen. I do not want to know that, and I'm a casual fan. Imagine riding and dying with the team, and then the prospect of a top-flight player on the team comes into view. Who needs that? Besides, if he did play for the Mets, he'd be respectable, but nowhere near as good as with the Pirates.

6 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Again who said the Phillies were allowed to get better?

Me?!? Anyway they were better last year than they were the year before..just young. They also are a season or two away from contending and they have a low payroll so will be able to spend when they are ready.

I'm relieved he didn't go to the Rangers, Yankees, or Red Sox. It sucks that he went for less than the Jays offered. Greed. I wish they would be more honest- I feel like the players are always like- oh yeah they want to stay in Toronto (or wherever) it's their first choice yada yada. No, their first choice is whoever offers them the most money. And fair enough, but just own it. 

His agent should have done a better job assessing the market before turning down the Jays, that's his job. 

Will be interesting to see what happens with Bautista.

• Love 1

I love how people call it greed, right.

People expected EE's market to be 100-120 million over 5 years.  Jays offered Edwin $80 million over 4 years and Edwin wanted to think on it for a bit.

But Edwin's greedy.  Because anyone here would be able to give up the potential for another $20-40 million dollars right?  Out of loyalty or something?  Edwin's been underpaid and overperforming for years.  He has sacrificed his body and youth for this game, and I don't remember him taking a day off in the 2016 season. One of the best and most powerful hitters in the game - one of its top producers.  In the top 5 of RBI and home run producers in the past 5 years in MLB or similar stats.  Maybe he wanted the paycheque to reflect that, like it's reflected other, lesser players.  He has a child.  He came from the Dominican Republic.  Maybe he wants stability for his family several times over.  Athletes who play in American sports are paid very highly.......... but of course, Edwin is just greedy.  

How does EE going for LESS than the Jays supposedly offered make him greedy.  Not only is he an offensive monster who is better than most of his peers in the entire game but he's also a great first baseman.  If you disagree, please show results.  I don't remember him making 1 error in 2016 and he played first base for many games while other players like Donaldson/Bautista/Travis/Martin played DH through their many injuries.  Edwin was never injured in 2016.  Maybe he looked after his body very well.  Like a greedy asshole.  You can check his Instagram right now to see him still wearing BJ uniforms as he prepares for 2017.  He is one of the most responsible Blue Jays for getting us to the post season 2 years in a row after a twenty year drought...  What a Scrooge.

Billy Beane has declared that the Athletics offered him $50 million for TWO years, and Edwin declined that as well.  (Not really getting how that's Moneyball, but okay Billy....)

Toronto front office now gets to save all that money they didn't pay for Edwin or Dexter Fowler, so who is greedy?  Edwin right....... Instead of going for superstars Toronto has locked up a bunch of well..... not superstars.  With the Skydome averaging an attendance of something like 37,000 in 2016, is anyone else wondering where that ticket and food money is going?

Sportsnet Stats

Most RBI Since 2012:

Miguel Cabrera: 569
Edwin Encarnacion: 550
Adrian Gonzalez: 504
David Ortiz: 502

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

It was me that used the word greed. I don't have a problem with people taking the highest offer, we all do it, I just prefer people were more honest about it, and didn't make a big deal over wanting to stay with x city, bc it doesn't seem real to me. At the end of the day, it's the paycheque that matters.

And I do think it's ironic he couldn't get a better offer.

JMO.

As for Rogers, yeah they suck for sure. It's difficult to support the team knowing who the owners are tbh. 

Edited by cleo

Edwin did not make a big deal about wanting to stay in Toronto.  I remember Kinzer mentioning it a couple of times through negotiations - that's it.  

And there are some reports that Edwin DID get better offers than the Cleveland one - depending on what you believe, from Toronto was reported, and Billy Beane from Oakland Athletics himself said $50 million for 2 years depending if you want more millions per year or longer term.

Edwin wanted to test the market because he thought it would be more lucrative than it ended up being.  I take no joy in him losing out on more money for the work he does.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Edwin got what he deserved (less $$$) because his agent was greedy and overestimated his market value....Same as Jose- who is crazy enough to pay that kind of money to a RF that has a wet noodle for an arm?

Bautista's still on the market, right?

I think both he & his agent overestimated his worth.

But I'm glad we got EE!  He's a beast even at his age.  I just hope he doesn't turn into another Keith Hernandez.

Checking the HOF site . . . we got fifteen days until we find out which players made the grade. Apparently, Curt Schilling has buried any support he might've had in bringing the Yankees down twice.

And what is wrong with Keith Hernandez?

ETA: I might have been wrong about London not getting Red Sox/Yankees. Why can't we go by NFL rules? At least one mediocre team. Seriously, I can see why the English/British would get into (American) football. Baseball? Not so much.

I have every confidence Edwin will have like, at least 3 good years in him.  I'm willing to admit if I'm wrong down the line, but.  As you can see, I'm a big Edwin pusher.  The guy didn't take a day off last year....  You might see him regularly slump in April, maybe even May, and then everyone says when he's "on", he's just on for the rest of the year.  He clicks on sometime in May like setting a watch.

For those who don't know, he was sued for millions last year for allegedly giving a woman STDs.  It's a story that really shook me up.  I won't get into it here, you can Google it.  Changed the picture of my fandom which until then had been so pristine.  My feelings have been complicated since, but as a baseball player I will always give him his due.

The Orioles sent Yovani (SP?) Gallardo to Seattle for Seth Smith

Seems the Mariners have been busy today, they also made a trade with the Royals that sent Dyson to Seattle and sent Nathan Karns to the Royals.

Edited by jennifer6973
another trade made

Where are the Mets fans here? I know it'll be three months to Opening Day, but I want to see if we can meet up for a game. I can do nights, but then I'd be home after midnight because I take mass transit and don't want to pay over $20 for parking. I can get up for 1 p.m., but Saturday at 4 works best. I just have to remember not to get a seat in right field, because the sun would be in my eyes.

ETA: At the moment, I don't have any trips to major comic book conventions planned, meaning that I don't know if I'd wind up in a city with a ballpark. I used to go to Baltimore for their September con, and I saw the Orioles three times, but I'm not hellbent to go back. I'd like to go back to San Diego, but getting admission to Comic-Con is problematic, so no Petco Park for me. If I get my passport renewed, I might think about Toronto. Never did properly explore Rogers Centre.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Where are the Mets fans here? I know it'll be three months to Opening Day, but I want to see if we can meet up for a game. I can do nights, but then I'd be home after midnight because I take mass transit and don't want to pay over $20 for parking. I can get up for 1 p.m., but Saturday at 4 works best. I just have to remember not to get a seat in right field, because the sun would be in my eyes.

ETA: At the moment, I don't have any trips to major comic book conventions planned, meaning that I don't know if I'd wind up in a city with a ballpark. I used to go to Baltimore for their September con, and I saw the Orioles three times, but I'm not hellbent to go back. I'd like to go back to San Diego, but getting admission to Comic-Con is problematic, so no Petco Park for me. If I get my passport renewed, I might think about Toronto. Never did properly explore Rogers Centre.

You should always have a current passport.  You know, in case you have to ... flee ... 

We'll be in NY in late August.  If it works out, maybe we can catch a game.  However, I want to make it clear that I will never be a Mets fan.  Just a baseball fan. :-)

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I want to make it clear that I will never be a Mets fan.

That's OK, we like you anyway. ;-)

If I'm up in the DC area during the season, maybe we can find our way to a Nats or Orioles game.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

That's OK, we like you anyway. ;-)

If I'm up in the DC area during the season, maybe we can find our way to a Nats or Orioles game.

I would love that!  Please let me know if you wander up here.  At anytime...if there's no baseball happening, we can surely grab a drink!!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

I think if I ever could meet up with ebk, I'd have to go into the exalted Room O'Bobbleheads by myself, close the door, move or take one of them, and then see if anyone would ever notice what I did.

You laugh, but one morning (in our old office), I came in and in a very few minutes, noticed something was amiss on one of the shelves. A...space...had appeared.  Turns out, the office maintenance folks had knocked one off the shelf with the backpack-like vacuum and thrown it away in hopes I wouldn't miss it.  It was totally fine - things happen - I just wish they'd left it on the desk, or at least told someone. 

You don't have a chance.  I'll notice.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

the office maintenance folks had knocked one off the shelf with the backpack-like vacuum and thrown it away ...

You don't have a chance.  I'll notice.

THREW IT AWAY?!??!? Seriously, how dare they.

Well then ebk, I've already visited DC as a kid, so there's no need to go back when there's so much else on the bucket list. All I wanted to do was mess with the 'heads.

5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Never did properly explore Rogers Centre.

A year before my baseball-loving mom died, I took her to the WBC flight in Toronto, and splurged on one of the hotel rooms that overlook the field. It was surprisingly super fun to get to watch all the goings-on before the stadium proper is opened to crowds, including but not limited to watching all the callipygian young men doing calisthenics. It was also super fun watching live games in our jammies with room service food. The only downside is the PA system is unintelligible from the outfield: all the speakers face home-ward, and all you get is garbled and echoey. But since the room tv is playing the game, you can still follow along!

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

THREW IT AWAY?!??!? Seriously, how dare they.

Well then ebk, I've already visited DC as a kid, so there's no need to go back when there's so much else on the bucket list. All I wanted to do was mess with the 'heads.

Fortunately for me, I had another of that same 'head.  So we all lived happily ever after.

If you come visit, I'll let you look at the 'heads.  My office has a glass wall, so you can look all you want...without ever getting close...  Let me know when you're in town :-)

• Love 3

I am watching the tail end of the Lions/Seahawks playoff game.  The Lions are going to lose and they have the longest drought of not winning the championship in the NFL.  That led to a graphic on the longest droughts in other major sports leagues in the US.  For the first time in my life (and I'm not a youngster), my Cubs didn't show up in the MLB graphic for that!  Just remembering the WS brought a big, big smile to my face!

The Indians have the drought record for now; I can see that ending next year.

• Love 3

I'm mentally plotting what to do for spring training.  Of course I'll try to take in a Braves game at Disney since it's the closest spring training location to me, and this could be their last year there, and perhaps I'll get to Port St. Lucie since it's the closest spring site to where my boyfriend lives and we go to several Baby Mets (High A) games during the summer.  One of these days I need to schlep on over to Bradenton and finally see a game at McKechnie Field but that would probably require an overnight stay.

• Love 1

My friends and I are planning to go to the new Astros/Nationals facility in West Palm Beach. I've been to that area before a couple times for work, the downtown area is really fun, so we're planning to hit the nightlife + a baseball game.

• Love 2

I am so annoyed that it has become "news" that Tebow wasn't invited to the Mets' major league camp. Even genuine prospects in the low minors are lucky to get invites. 

And, as a twenty nine year old football player playacting as a baseball player, Tebow is only slightly closer to being a prospect than I am.

• Love 7