Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

A couple of big news stories today:

Tigers give Miguel Cabrera 10-year, $292M deal:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-tigers-pay-cabrera-023542286--mlb.html

MLB toughens drug agreement penalties:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-toughens-drug-agreement-provisions-204209339--mlb.html

I don't see a 10-year deal for *anyone* working out well(see Rodriguez, Alex), but I commend the players and owners coming together to stiffen the penalties for PED use.

• Love 2

I don't see a 10-year deal for *anyone* working out well(see Rodriguez, Alex), but I commend the players and owners coming together to stiffen the penalties for PED use.

Texas and the Yankees actually got pretty good production from the first ten years after A Rod signed with the Rangers. The problem was that he had the early opt out (Remember when he tried to hijack World Series coverage with his negotiations?). So this is kind of like a second ten year contract that is going to hell.

I wonder if this trend will affect the balance between the leagues. I think the lack of the DH position to fall back on would make it a lot harder for NL GMs to go ten years. Joey Votto is the only NL player I can think of with that long of a contract, are there any others?

It's opening day! I know the Dodgers D'Backs played in Australia and there was last night's game, but those really don't matter to me. The season starts today.

I think MLB has mismanaged their start of their season. No one cares about Australia. Last night's game was swamped by coverage of the NCAA. They should just go with the day long Monday extravaganza for their open.

I think MLB has mismanaged their start of their season. No one cares about Australia. Last night's game was swamped by coverage of the NCAA. They should just go with the day long Monday extravaganza for their open.

I completely agree. Baseball doesn't work like the NFL where people watch the first game even if it has nothing to do with their own favorite team.

And boy, I really don't understand what Detroit gets from that contract. I certainly understood what the Yankees got back when they bid against themselves to give A-Rod the current contract.

For A-Rod, first, he was a free agent right then. I think it was a player option to opt out, so technically he could have gone on to another team and never played another game for the Yankees. This is not the case in Detroit where Cabrera still had two more years, right? So the first thing that seems nuts is that Detroit could have let him play out the next two years for $44 million and then offered him the same 8 year $248 million contract. Were they worried that somebody was going to give a 33 year-old more than that?

Second, for A-Rod the thought process from the Yankees was that he would be the guy who goes on to break the Bonds home run record, and it would be a wonderful moment for the YES network, and generate TONS of ratings and money for the team during the later years of his contract when he was unlikely to generate the on field performance equal to his pay. (Of course, that plan turned out to be complete disaster, but with the size of the NY television market, and the advertising and cable subscription fees the YES network generates, it was good business risk.)

And while I understand that the Detroit market is a very good sized television market (it is 11th largest in the US, about 1/4 of the NYC DMA), the potential to generate money for the Detroit franchise is simply not as great as it is in New York. So I would think signing Cabrera for so many years for so much money takes a bigger risk that the A-Rod deal because the payback can't possibly be as high.

But, what the heck do I know? Maybe they've got some spreadsheets worked out that show how this is a sound business decision, and that's why they did what they did.

I didn't mind MLB going to Australia since baseball has become quite popular there but the purist in me still has issues with the season not opening in Cincinnati.

• Love 1

I can understand why Detroit felt compelled to offer that contract to Cabrera, but I'm sort of at a loss about why more teams aren't offering long-term contracts like the ones the Red Sox offered to Dustin Pedroia.  Pedroia's contract has a bit of a hometown discount built in, but it also features some front loading.  I have to think that there's a good chance that Cabrera will not be playing for Detroit one way or the other in the last couple of years of that contract, so why not try the same tactic with him?

How about this bullshit over the Mets' Daniel Murphy taking two days of paternity leave (the collective bargaining agreement allows for three) for the birth of his first child and then gets criticized by the likes of Boomer Esiason for doing so.  Boomer even suggested that Murphy's wife should have scheduled her C-section prior to the start of the season.  What an ass.

Jimmy Rollins just did the same thing and I really haven't heard a peep about it. Boomer Esiason needs to have several seats.

It's going to be a looooong season for me if the Phils' bullpen is as shitty as they've been for the past 2 games. Papelbon can go take a seat next to Boomer.

I'm a big Tigers fan and I think I know a few reasons why they signed Cabrera to a long term extension. Their owner Mike Illitch is a very loyal man and also isn't afraid to open his checkbook. He's getting very old and is determined to win a World Series as an owner since he has already won plenty of Stanley Cups as the Red Wings owner. Paying him now can help woo potential free agents and I also think they just wanted to reward Cabrera for all of the accomplishments he has already achieved as a Tiger. Their attendance has topped over 3 million fans a year over the last 2 years and over 2.5 prior to that. This is in a city that has plenty of economic problems and it is such a big sports town that they spend their little extra money on sports tickets and memorabilia. Personally, I think this is a case of Mr. Illitch wanting to reward his talent and also give the fans of Detroit something to watch and eventually tell their kids about. 

He was a legend the likes of which we won't see again. As a Rays fan, I can say that he was an integral part of the team as the senior advisor and will be missed greatly. Baseball has lost a giant.

• Love 2

So I'm watching the FOX intro to the A's/Baltimore game and they're talking about how Derek Jeter should be an all-star just because he's Derek Jeter.  Bull crap.  Maybe I'm prejudiced because of my hate for all things Yankee, but the all star game isn't for those who are about to leave the league, they're for those players who have shown their ability this season.

• Love 1

I'll say upfront that I'm a Yankee hater.  That said, when they put the voting in the hands of the fans, you have to expect some people's definition of "all-star" could be different from yours and mine.  I'm a baseball person - my definition is best player.  Casual fan - definition is more than likely "star" as in celebrity.  So if that's the way baseball wants to go, those are the "all-stars" we get.  I can't be too upset about it.  It's still a fun game to watch.

Hope that makes sense...

• Love 1

So I'm watching the FOX intro to the A's/Baltimore game and they're talking about how Derek Jeter should be an all-star just because he's Derek Jeter.  Bull crap.  Maybe I'm prejudiced because of my hate for all things Yankee, but the all star game isn't for those who are about to leave the league, they're for those players who have shown their ability this season.

While I know the ASG has been a popularity contest for a number of years I completely agree with you, even though I know nothing will be done about it.  I was the person who was incredulous when Mariano Rivera was named MVP of the ASG last year.  For what?  For his career?

• Love 1

I found you guys!

See, my take on the ASG is that as long as every team HAS to have a rep, I cannot take the voting seriously. I have to admit though that I was surprised to see Bautista leading the voting. I didn't think he was appreciated all over.

So I found out today that Dallas Braden is a Baseball Tonight commentator. I think he is a giant baby and give no value to his opinion. He talks as if he is the all-knowing baseball guru and his opinion is the only one with merit. He is such an unprofessional ass about A-Rod* it makes me want to smack him. A-Rod crossed the mound, dude. Get over it.

*Full disclaimer - I have no hate for A-Rod at all.

Speaking of ASG voting surprises what the hell does my boyfriend Andrew McCutchen have to do to be voted in as a starter?  Granted he got off to a slow start but now he's back to his 2013 MVP numbers pace yet at last check he was fourth in outfielder voting.

I've never been to San Diego and I'm not a Padres fan but I bawled like a baby upon hearing about Tony Gwynn's passing earlier today.  It was an absolute honor and a privilege to watch him play such a beautiful game and I don't know if there will ever be a sweeter swing than his. 

• Love 3

I've never been to San Diego and I'm not a Padres fan but I bawled like a baby upon hearing about Tony Gwynn's passing earlier today.  It was an absolute honor and a privilege to watch him play such a beautiful game and I don't know if there will ever be a sweeter swing than his. 

My sentiments exactly (although I have been to San Diego - beautiful city).  Thanks for saying it much better than I could.

(edited)

From Jayson Stark at ESPN.com :

• Gwynn got hits off Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Steve Carlton and Phil Niekro -- four men who won a combine1,282 games.

• He hit .400 or better against eight different Cy Young winners -- Greg Maddux, John Smoltz, Bret Saberhagen, Vida Blue, John Denny, Dennis Eckersley, Mark Davis and Doug Drabek -- and batted at least .300 against seven more.

• He racked up 39 hits off Maddux (39 for 94, .415), 33 against Smoltz (32 for 72, .444) and 30 against Tom Glavine (30 for 99, .303).

• And none of these pitchers ever struck him out: Pedro Martinez (35 AB), Hideo Nomo (25 AB), Mike Hampton (33 AB) or, incredibly, Maddux (in 94 AB).

Edited by MyAimIsTrue
  • Love 3

Even though they were swept by the Yankees in the '98 World Series, I have the utmost respect for the way the Padres battled the whole way through, and a lot of that was due to Tony Gwynn. RIP, Tony. :(

Cespedes had yet again another outstanding throw tonight

David Cone (who's getting better and better as a booth guy, as the others have sort of yielded the sabr-metric stuff to him) once referred to him as 'Yoenis the Menace'. I really wish that would catch on.

• Love 1

Keith hits it out of the park again. If I may use a sports metaphor.

referred to him as 'Yoenis the Menace'. I really wish that would catch on.

I'm partial to 'Cespedes for the rest of us'.

• Love 2
(edited)

Mostly American League talk here.  Where's the love for the National League?

I'm originally from the Chicagoland area, but raised by two fanatical St. Louis Cardinals fans.  While I love the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry, and think it's one of the best rivalries in baseball, it is not a friendly rivalry.  My favorite baseball t-shirt said, "I root for two teams - The Cardinals and whoever plays the Cubs. The first and only time I've ever been spit on was in Wrigley Field.  The Cubs beat my team, and I still got spit on.  Imagine that.  And although I tend to dislike all things Cubs, I always appreciated Don Zimmer. 

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the new Transfer Rule.  It was interesting that they had to almost immediately amend it.

I love that they cracked down on the football-like tackling that frequently occurs at home.  Who wants to see another Buster Posey?  Although I was raised with old-school baseball beliefs - you hit our guy and we hit yours, etc., I've never liked the overly rough stuff, especially because home plate is often covered by players not wearing catcher's gear.  I also dislike the contortions players take to attempt to take out the second baseman in a double play.  It just feels dirty to me.  I'm surprised MLB hasn't tried harder to crack down on the unnecessary roughness - these guys are millions of dollars of investment for their teams.

I love the St. Louis Cardinals fans.  I've been going to games since I was little, and I've only ever heard them boo one player - Barry Bonds.  And really, who could blame them?  The Cardinals franchise is just brilliant at marketing to their fans - for instance Ballpark Village - and the players make tons of personal appearances all around the city year round. 

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 1

Here!

My boy was named NL Home Run Derby Captain....cannot tell you how happy this makes me.  He's getting the recognition he deserves *cough*after landing on the DL so much*cough*.

Right here!!!  I am a baseball purist and cannot in good conscience get behind the DH so I will never be an American League fan.

• Love 2

I love the DH rule so much. It and I are the same age, heh.

I just hate all the machinations that have to go on during a close game and it's time for the pitcher to hit. The manager has to sacrifice good pitching for the possibility of a hit and I hate it.

I grew up a Mets fan and switched to the Yanks in my late teens/early twenties so it's not like I was always about the DH.

Personally I find inter-league play to be the WORST. The absolute worst. I want the World Series to be with teams that never met during the season.

Instant replay I love. It is not taking away from the time of the games and why would you not want to get it right?

I just hate all the machinations that have to go on during a close game and it's time for the pitcher to hit. The manager has to sacrifice good pitching for the possibility of a hit and I hate it.

And I love the strategies involved because of it.

• Love 1

I know this is only one page, and I did look, but I must preface this by saying I really hope I didn't post this already (since I've posted it in a few places since it was published)

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/your-mlb-local-tv-announcer-rankings.html

My team is the O's and our guys got ranked pretty well (yay!), but I'm also in the Nats broadcast zone.  And while I loooooove Charlie and Dave on the radio, as this piece states "nobody likes Bob Carpenter".  And hardly anyone like FP Santangelo.  Yet here he is on the Fox broadcast with .... Kenny (?) ... and he's absolutely cringeworthy.  I thought during the rain delay earlier we'd have some relief, but they went to Saux-Yanks with Joe Buck.  A lose/lose for everyone.

I cannot express how awful the TV team here in DC is.  Oy...