Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

As much as I enjoyed Pittsburgh's march to the post season last year I am enjoying Kansas City doing the same thing this year.  I tuned into the Rays game this afternoon and it was ugly so I switched over to TBS and saw the Tigers playing at KC and the Royals are exciting to watch!  Looks like they play a bit of small ball which makes rooting for an AL team a bit more palatable for this NL snob.

• Love 1

I thought of this the other day and was reminded of it tonight on Twitter...when Jeter takers his final at-bat at Yankee Stadium, we will also say our final good-bye to Bob Sheppard.

Jesus. I started tearing up just typing that. What am I going to be like on Thursday?

• Love 2

I know I already mentioned it but now the media is picking up on it.

Sniffle.

On an unrelated note I find it interesting that during Derek Jeter day one of the pics they showed in the retrospective of his gifts was Jeter hugging Ryan Braun and today there was a selfie Nelson Cruz took with Jeter splashed all over the media, yet the Yankees have completely shunned A-Rod during this whole time. Personally, I think it's gross. It's probably partly because Jeter has put the kibosh on it because those two weren't exactly friendly, but they trotted out a million other of Jeter's teammates so A-Rod's absence was particularly glaring to me.

Edited by mojoween

If Houston won five WS with him, maybe. But I totally get your point. NY has so much to do with it because a. the Yankees had 22 WS before he got there and b. because it's NY. The city, I mean, center of the media universe.

(I live in Central NY. I'm biased.)

I do have to take Keith Olberman to task because I don't know who pissed in his Wheaties. Normally I agree with most of what he says but his vitriol last night about Jeter came out of nowhere. If he personally doesn't feel that Jeter is that good of a ball player that's fine but he doesn't have to be such a dick about it.

those two weren't exactly friendly,

If I were guessing, knowing only what I know via various media, I'd guess it's a bit deeper than not-friendly. My guess is that Jeter's enmity for A-Rod is cavernous and everlasting. Like Mr. Darcy, his good opinion, once lost, is lost forever. And why invite somebody to your party whom you hate? Just for appearances? Eh. (I've wondered if his decision to retire this year wasn't made in part to ensure he'd never have to deal with Rodriguez again, heh.)

What was the gist of KO's disgruntlement?

Please don't throw rotten tomatoes at me but I agree with the Olbermann quote above. That being said I've not seen the clip (my company's firewall prevents access to video) but I'll watch it later and I believe you when you say his delivery was dick-ish because he's so good at that.  And I like the guy.

• Love 2
but his vitriol last night about Jeter came out of nowhere.

Like Aim says, I mostly like Olbermann, but "out of nowhere"? This Jeter -love has been all season long (at least in terms of the going-away gifts etc) and then all the videos and the RE2PECT crap. Er, stuff. Some of us have been rolling our eyes for several months.

That said, Olbermann IMHO did go over the line in his comparisons that he threw out, to "prove" his point, and it does seem mean. But baseball is a game of numbers and so many people can point to the numbers and say "Nuh, not really" to all the BS being put forth about #2, so it was bound to happen.

BTW Mojoween and fellow Jeter fans, he's gonna be on the PBS show Finding Your Roots.  If you needed more information about him and where all the intangibles come from.

• Love 2

That said, Olbermann IMHO did go over the line in his comparisons that he threw out, to "prove" his point, and it does seem mean. But baseball is a game of numbers and so many people can point to the numbers and say "Nuh, not really" to all the BS being put forth about #2, so it was bound to happen.

I'd ask you to marry me but my boyfriend might take exception to that, plus I'm terrified of birds and you're their king.

• Love 1

I totally get what you are saying, both of you. I mean, if say Big Papi goes on a farewell tour and this process is started all over again, my eyes are going to be rolling so hard I'll be able to simultaneously see my brain and my ass. (Although I do have to say, Jeter did not have any suspicions of PED's and neither did Mo, so they have that going for them).

I like Olberman, I have his books and was sad when he left ESPN the first time. But when I say came out of nowhere, I meant why now? And why so pissy about it? This has been going on for months, and he didn't do a piece like that about Mo, either. Jeter was an everyday player, and Mo IS the best at his position (closer) so maybe Keith just got fed up that all this praise was heaped on a player he felt didn't deserve it.

And it's not hurting anyone. Sports, now of all times, could use something NICE to talk about.

Also, I love birds. We have about 50-100 in our front yard every night.

I like Olberman, I have his books and was sad when he left ESPN the first time. But when I say came out of nowhere, I meant why now? 

Because he knew everybody would be talking about it the next day. Mission accomplished. 

As for MyAimIsTrue's question, if Jeter would have played his career in a city other than New York, I think he would have been seen something like a pre-PED revelation Rafael Palmeiro. An occasional All Star, picks up occasional MVP votes, and at the end of a long career people would be saying "Wait, he has how many hits?!?"

• Love 1

And it's not hurting anyone. Sports, now of all times, could use something NICE to talk about.

I agree. KO has the unfortunate quality (among many I like and admire) of thinking his opinion is The Only Reasonable One, and that any other view is heresy. I remember how livid he got when Cal Ripken was close to Gehrig's mark, and KO thought it was WRONGWRONGWRONG for anybody to break that mark, that Cal should quit before doing so. You know, because some stats are Holy, and Gehrig was already dying, and shut up, that's why.

That Jeter's stats and accomplishments and intangibles don't invent the wheel may be true, it's also true that very few (even rabid) fans think so. (That corporations are being soporific doesn't mean the fan in the street is.) But we have enjoyed what he's brought to the game, and if he doesn't like how I'm sending him off, Keith has every right not to like it. Or he can bite me. :)

Edited by attica
  • Love 1
I'd ask you to marry me but my boyfriend might take exception to that, plus I'm terrified of birds and you're their king.

Plus I'm a Red Sox fan, and you're a Braves fan. In Florida (I think?)  It ... just wouldn't work out.

We'll always have the MLB thread.

my eyes are going to be rolling so hard I'll be able to simultaneously see my brain and my ass.

Mojoween, I am totally stealing this. :D

Even as a die-hard Yankee(and Jeter)fan, and another Central New Yorker, who is old enough to remember when the Syracuse Chiefs were the Yankees' Triple-A team, I agree the whole thing has gone overboard, just like when he turned 40.

Edited by smittykins

I'm a, probably, obviously, sox fan but I think the Yankees going crazy with the coronation is entertaining and I think people losing their shit over all the platitudes is entertaining.

Have at it opposing camps!

• Love 1

So John Rocker is on "Survivor" this season but he's trying to keep his identity super secret. So this kid - which I am giving a side-eye to that he recognized John because the kid had to be quite young when John was playing - asks John what his last name is and John says "Wetteland." Oh HA HA HA. Idiot.

I hate John Rocker for what he said lo those many years ago but dammit if he isn't a good competitor.

So John Rocker is on "Survivor" this season but he's trying to keep his identity super secret. So this kid - which I am giving a side-eye to that he recognized John because the kid had to be quite young when John was playing - asks John what his last name is and John says "Wetteland." Oh HA HA HA. Idiot.

I hate John Rocker for what he said lo those many years ago but dammit if he isn't a good competitor.

Crap, I didn't realize "Survivor" started last night.  I saw RoKKKer pitch during an interleague game in Tampa the year he made those horrible comments and I was shocked by how many people stood up to give him a standing O.  Seriously?

Guys, it's only the batting practice show and I'm already all snuffly. I don't know if I can't make it four hours. Of course, Derek himself will probably help because he normally shows as much emotion as this tray table my keyboard sits on. I mean, his response to Mariano's emotional farewell was "it's time to go."

I do love the clip they show of him doing awesome things because I adore Jorge and love him greeting Derek at the plate after hit 3000 and getting the out on Giambi during the flip play. I feel like Jorge is always the forgotten member of the Core Four.

Right?!? Thanks a heap, Kiroda. I mean, the timing could not have been more impeccable.

Bleacher Creatures: DEREK JETER,

Clap clap clapclapclap

DEREK JET...

Markakis interrupts to run by Jeter on his way around the diamond.

...er.

Edited by mojoween

I know it's going to sound stupid, but if the O's don't score, Bob Sheppard has now come and gone and it just ended, with no fanfare.

Yeah, I'm sobbing. Don't judge.

Well damn. Not only did we get Bob Sheppard one more time, but then THAT happened, and then THEY were there, and I'm a hot mess right now.

Michael Kay says "so long, Derek" and I'm dead.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Thank goodness that's done. I can't enjoy watching the O's on a televised game after years of watching them suck ass, yet all I saw was Jeter's face. Yes it's his last game at Yankee Stadium but they didn't have to show him every damn minute. At least he went out a hero- good for him and his fans.

It was nice of Derek to be classy about the Orioles making the postseason. The booing fans, not so much.

Oh, I forgot one of my favorite things from the post-game presser. It highly amused me that the guy who was directing the reporters said that they were first going to go to the reporters who had been there since February 1st and then they would try to get to the others in the room. I think I heard something like 215 press credentials were given by the Yankees last night.

Ok. Keith Olberman can relax, the Derek Jeter Retirement Tour is virtually over. On to the postseason.

Edited by mojoween

When that inside-out swing put the ball into right field, and the speedy runner was safe at home, goddammit if that stupid Taylor Swift song-hook didn't  leap into my brain. "Haters gonna hate hate hate hate", That one. Sorry. I know. I know

I had the sound off during the top of the ninth, and a little while into the bottom, because: tense, and because when I'm tense few things chap my ass like Michael Kay's lame yet loud attempts at Edward R Murrowisms. I wanted to watch Kitty and Wee Bob over on MLB, but of course it was blacked out in favor of the YES 'cast. Thank goodness for Kenny Singleton and his wry workmanlike approach to the proceedings.  I did like Andy Pettitte's appearance to gossip about what all went on when Girardi planned Mo's exit last year, though. Backstage dirt is always fun.

Good luck to them birdos.

Derek's final moment in Yankee Stadium couldn't have been written any better. I thank MLB for allowing even those of us blacked out to watch his ABs and other highlights during the game last night. Would have been sad to miss it. The 90's Yankees were my intro to baseball and I still miss those guys more than I can get excited about the current ever changing roster. It was perfect and I love that it happened that way for him and all of us too, really!

And in other news, Hunter Pence is awesome: http://deadspin.com/we-now-go-live-to-hunter-pences-dirty-dirty-mouth-1639410347

• Love 1

Red Sox fan here....so it pains me to say this....

Jeter deserved every bit of accolades thrown at him this year.  

Every.bit.

He's a decent human being in a game full of huge egos (Red Sox fan and Big Papi annoys the shit out of me...sorry) and big babies.  If for no other reason then he did his job....well....and is part of a lot of the best memories I have of baseball.....he deserves what he got.

And that ending last night was awesome.

• Love 1

Good luck to them birdos.

Speaking of birdos (I like that, by the way) my Orioles fan coworker told me that team jokester Adam Jones, he of the constant pie in the face delivery, actually jumped into the stands the night they clinched the division and pie'd a fan.  Did anyone see or hear of this?  I bet it was awesome.

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I am a Derek Jeter fan. He may not be the best player of all time, but his class more than makes up for it, plus the fact that he's hot doesn't hurt. Jeter's last game and Jeter himself were equally beautiful.

As for Olbermann, he's entitled to his opinions about Jeter, but the way he expressed them was tacky. With the NFL domestic violence debacle, sports-and the world- needs all the good news they can get and if Jeter's one of the people responsible for some of it, then so be it.

Edited by DollEyes

birdos (I like that, by the way)

I steal it from Stephen King from that RS book he co-wrote. He didn't mean it kindly, but for me, it's value-neutral. :)

Jeter had neither been pie'd or gatoraded ever until last night. [/fun fact]

That Hunter Pence video is awesome. Chapel! Hee!

Speaking of birdos (I like that, by the way) my Orioles fan coworker told me that team jokester Adam Jones, he of the constant pie in the face delivery, actually jumped into the stands the night they clinched the division and pie'd a fan.  Did anyone see or hear of this?  I bet it was awesome.

I did see it, and it was awesome.  I think he pie'd a couple of fans in addition to several people on-field.  He's a lot of fun.

Not only did he pie a couple of fans, the O's use the real thing instead of shaving cream and one fan got mushed in the face with a pecan pie.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v36328483/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140917_31766476

• Love 1