Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Why ask only the pitchers to pick up the pace?  What about forcing batters (the forever gorgeous Nomar Garciaparra comes to mind) to stop with their pre-batters box routines?

Maybe because there's already a twelve second rule and it just needs to be enforced?  I appreciate when a pitcher deliberately slows down his pitches to slow the momentum of the opposing team, but the rule does not apply when there's runners on base, so pitchers could still do this.  Otherwise, watching some particularly slow pitchers perform their ritualistic OCD twitchy routines every.single.pitch......  It's like nails on a chalkboard.  Plus, if this rule is enforced, they would start teaching pitchers in Little League to speed it up.

Didn't an umpire actually call the 12-second rule in Cleveland few years ago? I remember reading some time before that at least one of the elite umpiring schools didn't even bother teaching it because it was considered archaic.

Re Josh Beckett, I'll hold my tongue.

one night I stop-watched Josh Beckett on the mound. 30 seconds was his minimum.

You could have picked almost any of the Red Sox starters for the last 7 years. And I'm shocked you picked Josh over Papelbon. As a Sox fan, the over-long games is one of the most irritating things about following them.

I can't remember the last time I've loved watching someone pitch as much as I do Madison Bumgarner. He doesn't get as much attention because he's in the same division as Kershaw but I kind of like that. Just quietly shows up every 5th game and deals. 

• Love 2

Has anyone seen any numbers on challenges this season, I.e. Average # per game, average time, % that are successful?

Speaking of long games, what about the batters? Nail their damn feet in the batters box and the games would be at least 15 minutes shorter. No stepping out to adjust everything. Once you are in, you are in. Then enforce the 12 second rule. If the batter isn't ready, too damn bad.

• Love 2

It was pretty fun for me. Especially because this season hasn't been that much fun. (And will probably not be any better until they fire Ruben Amado or Ruin Tomorrow as I have seen him called). Cole Hamel's was definitely effectively wild and Diekman, Giles and Paplebon all did their job.

I do wonder how many times has a team been no hit (as the Phils against the Dodgers) and pitched a no hitter in the same season.

It looks like there is going to be a wholesale shuffling of AAA affiliates after the minor league playoffs are over.  The Sacramento River Cats, which have been an Oakland affiliate ever since they joined the Pacific Coast League some 15 years ago, are almost guaranteed to affiliate with the Giants, whose affiliation with Fresno is ending this year.  The Brewers' affiliation with Nashville is up, as well, so, at a minimum, it looks like Oakland will sign an agreement with Nashville, Milwaukee will be affiliating with Fresno, and Sacramento will affiliate with San Francisco.  I know that Los Angeles' contract with Albuquerque is up, too, but I don't know what's going to happen there.  Since Tucson moved to El Paso, there has been no team in Tucson, so I guess that's an option, though I don't know what the stadium situation is like there.  There was talk about putting a PCL team in Escondido, but that seems to have disappeared.  There used to be teams in Honolulu, Portland and Vancouver, I don't know what their situation is like.

Not sure why a MLB team would want their AAA team to be in a different timezone, or at least not in a good plane connection so an injury situation on the big league team wouldn't take an "Amazing Race" type situation for replacements.

OAK - Nashville?

MIL- Fresno?

I know it never quite works out 100% but those seem like odd affiliations.  I've heard the issue with ALBQ is inflated stats, although that can't compare to the CAL league (A+) where the wind sometimes never dies, and pitchers' ERA can double in one outing. 

Edited by King of Birds

Not sure why a MLB team would want their AAA team to be in a different timezone, or at least not in a good plane connection so an injury situation on the big league team wouldn't take an "Amazing Race" type situation for replacements.

For a few years the Marlins had their AAA team in Calgary.  You're not kidding about the "Amazing Race" comparison.

For a few years the Marlins had their AAA team in Calgary. You're not kidding about the "Amazing Race" comparison.

I think it may even have been in Edmonton. They essentially used them as a taxi squad and promoted most prospects directly from the AA Portland Sea Dogs. I had season tickets for a while and saw Josh Beckett and Adrian Gonzalez come through, along others. One year Portland had FOUR players with 20+ home runs for the season, two of whom were Kevin Millar and Mark Kotsay.

The AAA club for the Nationals is the Syracuse Chiefs and the Chiefs have been....not good the last 16 years. This is their first playoff trip since 1998. Problem is, the Nats are making a playoff push too, and have started calling up Chiefs players. I never even considered that might happen.

The other night I was discussing AAA teams with my boyfriend when I realized I hardly know where the teams are anymore.  Long gone are the days of the Richmond Braves, Tidewater Tides for the Mets, Columbus Clippers for the Yankees, etc.  (and for the record I do know where the Braves AAA team is these days-- in suburban Atlanta.)

I normally agree with just about everything Tom Verducci says but I don't like the idea of making changes to the pace of the game.  I guess it's just me but a slow pace doesn't bother me and I don't think a pitcher should have to rush his delivery.  Twelve seconds is not a lot of time at all.

I love the relaxed (well, sort of ) pace of baseball and I always have - and I came up in the time period when many abandoned it for basketball and football.  There is room in the sports world for different kind of sports with different kind of fandom. I'll tell you I DO agree with giving away more youth tickets.  (And I'm looking at YOU, NY Yankees.)  The bigger problem is developing a longterm fanbase for a game that in so many markets (as discussed above) is not available on broadcast TV or even on basic cable. 

• Love 1

Yesterday the Rays were featured on the game of the week, and on Labor Day I watched the Mets play a day game against the Marlins with the roof closed.

There should be a rule against day games in domed stadiums (or you have to keep the roof open if it's retractable). It's such a waste of even a not-so-great-weather day.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

Not gonna lie...this Derek Jeter tribute is getting me all sorts of choked up. I love this, all of it. I mean, Michael Jordan? Come on. And I will never not love a day where Bern Baby Bern shows up.

Question, though...with Mo's retirement parade last year and The Captain's this year, has this happened before? Where other teams present a cavalcade of gifts and the teams set a day aside for the player? Did Chipper get this?

Now for cod's sack, Yankees...can you win the game on the special day this time?

• Love 1

Yesterday the Rays were featured on the game of the week, and on Labor Day I watched the Mets play a day game against the Marlins with the roof closed.

There should be a rule against day games in domed stadiums (or you have to keep the roof open if it's retractable). It's such a waste of even a not-so-great-weather day.

It was probably good that the Rays play in a domed stadium since the weather yesterday was nasty.  I live in the Orlando area and the bad stuff rolled in from the west in the late afternoon.  Despite what the calendar says it is still VERY much summertime here in Floriduh which means typical severe afternoon thunderstorms.

Not gonna lie...this Derek Jeter tribute is getting me all sorts of choked up. I love this, all of it. I mean, Michael Jordan? Come on. And I will never not love a day where Bern Baby Bern shows up.

Question, though...with Mo's retirement parade last year and The Captain's this year, has this happened before? Where other teams present a cavalcade of gifts and the teams set a day aside for the player? Did Chipper get this?

Now for cod's sack, Yankees...can you win the game on the special day this time?

This might not be the case any more, but when George was still around YES never showed a Yankee loss on Yankee Classics. I wonder if this game might be the exception.

I don't know about the rest of the league, but the Mets had a farewell tribute when Chipper retired. 

This might not be the case any more, but when George was still around YES never showed a Yankee loss on Yankee Classics. I wonder if this game might be the exception.

I've still yet to see a loss on Yankees Classics. If they were going to show one, you'd think it would've been Mo's last game.

I've still yet to see a loss on Yankees Classics. If they were going to show one, you'd think it would've been Mo's last game.

I remember thinking how happy the producers of Yankees Classics must have been when the Yanks managed to win the game where Jeter smashed a home run for his 3000th hit.

With the Red Sox mathematically eliminated today a friend of mine asked "So who're you cheering for now?"

I'm not sure. I guess I want to see KC do as well as they can, same goes for Pittsburgh.  Would love to see Oakland and Milwaukee make a flip-flop late run and make a WC.

I think the bat moved as he was starting to duck? Which, depending on which direction the bat is going, counts? I think? Ultimately, it's the ref's call, not (yet) subject to review.

The guys on YES were just having a conversation about Stanton when Chase Headley took one to the chin. Yikes.

And you know, it kind of chaps me that the talking heads all go, Oh not at all intentional! Can't fault a guy for it! Which, yeah, I get, but on the other hand, whether it's headhunting or just plain bad throwing, it's still an unsafe environment. That a drunk driver doesn't mean to head-on collide with you doesn't make you less smashed-into, or him less culpable.

I don't think it's comparable. A drunk driver is still putting himself in a position where he is more likely to injure himself or others than he would otherwise. A pitcher is always at risk of losing control and a batter is always at risk of being on the other end of that. It's so rare for a player to be injured as severely as Giancarlo by a HBP (I think before last night, where there were TWO, it was Jason Heyward last year). Guys get their hands hit and broken a bit more often but even that is usually because a pitch is inside and not due to any kind of intent. It's a risk of being in a profession where dudes hurl objects at you at 96mph. I'm not sure what can be done to prevent it. 

Thoughts are going out to Giancarlo though. It really looked terrible and I hope that his injuries are the type that can heal well and not cause a lot of lingering effects. Giants first baseman Brandon Belt has been out with a concussion for over a month and a half after being hit in the face with just a thrown (not pitched) ball, so that whole area can be really wonky. 

And thoughts to Chase Headley too. His HBP didn't look quite as severe as Stanton's, at least he was able to sit up and walk off the field on his own, but I haven't heard if he has any fractures or long term injury from it yet.

Edited by rippleintime17

The bit I read this morning said he was bleeding so badly, the dirt in the batter's box was stained. And at the hospital he was:

treated for multiple facial fractures, facial lacerations that required stitches and dental damage, according to the Marlins.

I wonder if it might be something to consider to remove a pitcher from the game when a batter gets hit that badly. Clearly Fiers was in no shape to continue, and he also hit the guy who was to finish Stanton's at-bat. Since that was strike three and the third out, the inning was over and he was taken out of the game. But maybe coaches should consider another approach. I doubt that would hurt as much as the impact of a 95 mph fastball.

Oh yeah, you can remove a pitcher in the middle of an AB. I think the only time you cannot replace a pitcher, is if you just brought him in from the bullpen. Guy can't come in and not throw at least a pitch to a batter (unless he hurts his arm in warm-ups, but then that falls into injury replacement and not player replacement.)

Those umps in the Marlins game need their heads removed, or at least a WTF bitchfest of a phonecall from headquarters about those 'strike' calls.

Edited by King of Birds

While watching the Rays vs. Jays game from Toronto yesterday there were some kids within earshot of the broadcasting microphone who cheered all game long for the Jays players ("lets go ____ , clap clap clap clap clap") and when not cheering they were singing the line "we will, we will rock you."  It made me smile because that's what a weekend afternoon baseball game is all about-- kids having fun.

Derek Jeter, Made in NY

They are so not kidding with the headline. I mean, my goosebumps had goosebumps.

Here's the thing about Jeter's goodbye, and it's going to sound so totally maudlin but I can't help it. Jeter is only about ten months younger than I am, so right now, we're the same age. And with his departure, it's like he's taking my youth with him. All the players I grew up watching are almost gone - he's practically the last one!

Turning 40 was hard enough. Saying goodbye to Jeter less than one year later? Oof.

• Love 2