Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, attica said:

Have you ever seen the video of, say, Don Larsen's perfect game? Nobody steps out of the box, ever. Game's over in, like, 40 minutes.  I suspect coaches up and down the systems must think stepping out is good for the batter, either by letting him or her refocus, or catch a breath, or soak in fan adulation, or whatever, or there'd be less of it in the majors.

I had to look it up. Two hours, six minutes.

Maybe things would go faster if the home plate umpire carried an airhorn. Or a starter's pistol.

I'd much rather they employ a hawkeye type system for challenges so those are reduced to, at most, ten seconds. The neverending human video review is the only time I ever really get annoyed by pace. Well, that and the aforementioned infinite timeouts while in the box. Or hell, if they're into automatic stuff, ok fine, intentional walks go directly to first, and home runs get no trots (and no bat flips). The score just increases and players go sit down.

(I'd actually love to see the math on average minutes and/or seconds per game that intentional walks accounted for over the past, let's say 10 seasons, vs the average minutes and/or seconds per game waiting on home run trots over the same span. I would expect the fuss from the players' to be 10x as much were the latter proposed to be made automatic, but I also expect the amount of gametime it accounts for is probably substantially higher than that from four pitch IBB.)

I'm watching the Yankees home opener from 1996 (what?  You would too if you could for your team) and it's "snowing."  John Sterling says "kids if you looked outside your parents would say it's a snow day" and Michael Kay says "it's REALLY coming down" and no to both of those things.

Perhaps snow is measured differently in the Bronx.

Although the organist playing "Let it Snow" is making me laugh.

Also, who knew Johnny Damon played for the Royals?  

Edited by mojoween
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Also, who knew Johnny Damon played for the Royals?  

Um. *raises hand*

We drafted him in the first round, and it was a bitter parting of ways for the fan base.

He still gets love around these parts, though.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mojoween said:

I'm watching the Yankees home opener from 1996 (what?  You would too if you could for your team) and it's "snowing."  John Sterling says "kids if you looked outside your parents would say it's a snow day" and Michael Kay says "it's REALLY coming down" and no to both of those things.

Perhaps snow is measured differently in the Bronx.

IKR?  Around here, it might--might--warrant a "winter weather advisory."

(For the record, mojo and I are from the same area.)

ETA:  At a podiatrist appointment several years ago, he was telling me about this crazy game he attended between the Yankees and A's and that the Yanks won 17-13, and I said, "Oh, the '98 home opener."  He was like, "How did you know that?"

"Um, they show it on Yankees Classics all the time."

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 3

I was reading a story in my newspaper today about Didi Gregorious and it mentioned that we are currently in year 3 A.D. (After Derek) and naturally I had to run here and tell @King of Birds because I KNOW you would absolutely appreciate it.  I think that's how I'm going to refer to time from now on!

• Love 1
(edited)

What can I say?  I AM hilarious.

Today's classic is the 2000 World Series game five.  Good times!

It amuses me that yesterday's classic had the organist playing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" at Yankee Stadium and today we get "Up in Here" by DMX at Shea.  

Joe Buck said that Al Leiter was at a season high 147 pitches and I nearly fainted.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
(edited)

Wow David Price is hurt.

Forearm Soreness, MRI on Elbow and seeking a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews. 

That does not sound good. That contract keeps getting worse for the BoSox. 

Edited by Maximum Taco
(edited)

Good news.

As much as I want my Jays to rule the AL East this year, it's good to hear a nice guy like Price can catch a break.

I hope to be able to boo him at Skydome in a few months.

Edited by Maximum Taco
53 minutes ago, Maximum Taco said:

Good news.

As much as I want my Jays to rule the AL East this year, it's good to hear a nice guy like Price can catch a break.

I hope to be able to boo him at Skydome in a few months.

This Red Sox fan wishes he would have stayed up there in Toronto. That will change only when he can win in the postseason. An 0-8 record and getting such a big contract is ridiculous.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, rcc said:

This Red Sox fan wishes he would have stayed up there in Toronto. That will change only when he can win in the postseason. An 0-8 record and getting such a big contract is ridiculous.

He was never going to be in Toronto. I don't think we even made him an offer.

I'm glad he's not hurt cause he seems like a nice guy, but I'm also glad he's not in Toronto anymore, I think our rotation now is much better then it was when Price was here. I agree with you, I think the Red Sox bought a pumpkin in Price and the clock strikes 12 when the postseason starts.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1

I'm not sure which rock I've been under but I just found out that both the Nationals and the Astros moved their spring training sites to a shared facility in West Palm Beach so that leaves the Braves as the only Orlando area spring team, and they're supposed to be leaving as well.  They're playing an away game on my birthday so to keep up with tradition I'll be making a road trip next Saturday, Braves vs. Cardinals in Jupiter.  All I could get are bleacher seats as everything else is sold out (no doubt to see the Cards since the Braves look like they still suck).

I don't blame the Astros for moving because there wasn't much around them (and at least they didn't flee to Arizona) but Viera has become a nice area, at least in my opinion, with lots to do in Melbourne and the surrounding towns.

I would have been happy seeing the Tigers play next Saturday as I love Joker Marchant stadium but they have an away game that day.

Glad to hear it's just a broken nose for Jose Alguacil, the Giants coach. Hope he recovers quickly.

Hate to be all Andy Rooney-ish, but ... spring training. Teams get up early, practice, travel distances by bus. Games start at 1pm / 3pm or so. HOW is this practice for the regular season?  Now, I know by the end of ST that they try to switch to later games/ night games, but I always wonder when teams get off to bad starts if it's because they already have to change gears.

Aim, have fun on Saturday and happy birthday. You're the oldest person in the room.

(edited)

Yeah, pools C & D are playing tune up games against MLB squads.

Pool C is playing the Cactus League teams (Mexico was playing Arizona today and the Padres yesterday) (Italy beat Chi Cubs yesterday)(and lost to Oakland today)

Pool D is playing the Grapefruit League- thus why Canada was playing the Yankees today and the Blue Jays yesterday.

The US team was beat by the Twins today, and I forget who they play tomorrow.

Meanwhile in the pool that is playing in Seoul, The Netherlands and Israel are moving to Round 2 in Japan.  They are playing right now to see which team is going to be the higher seed and Jurickson Profar just got caught in a run down.

Edited by jennifer6973
add more info
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

Jurickson Profar just got caught in a run down.

I saw that, he just kind of gave up and collapsed on the base line. Like, WTF? At least go out by trying for the plate…

And apparently, Israel's center fielder has a wet noodle for an arm.

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

I could not figure out what was going on today when At Bat kept telling me that the Yankees were playing "The Canada" until I checked the box score.

After seeing this I decided to look at my At Bat and it is kinda funny seeing Colombia playing the Twins and the US playing the Red Sox, among others.  "The Canada" must have the day off.

1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

After seeing this I decided to look at my At Bat and it is kinda funny seeing Colombia playing the Twins and the US playing the Red Sox, among others.  "The Canada" must have the day off.

Canada is playing the Dominican Republic in an official WBC game. 6pm EST.

14 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I saw that, he just kind of gave up and collapsed on the base line. Like, WTF? At least go out by trying for the plate…

And apparently, Israel's center fielder has a wet noodle for an arm.

Well from what I was listening to the other day, Israel was not expected to go to the 2nd Round, that they have is a boon to baseball in Israel.  So he's probably not MLB caliber but is good enough to help his team.

14 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Well from what I was listening to the other day, Israel was not expected to go to the 2nd Round, that they have is a boon to baseball in Israel.  So he's probably not MLB caliber but is good enough to help his team.

He's the one guy on Israel's team that used to be MLB. Apparently, he had to have shoulder surgery and he just has no zip on his throw anymore. 

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I'm pretty sure Ike Davis is on team Israel and he used to be MLB.

Yes, Ike is on Team Israel, and yes, he played 7 seasons in the majors, much of it with the NY Mets.  He signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers for this season.

I like team Israel. As a non Jew, I wouldn't feel comfortable saying these things, but I think their catch phrases "Jew Crew" and "Mensch on a Bench" are hilarious.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I like team Israel. As a non Jew, I wouldn't feel comfortable saying these things, but I think their catch phrases "Jew Crew" and "Mensch on a Bench" are hilarious.

As the resident Heeb around here I think the phrases are great!

And for the record Sam Fuld of Team Israel (he played for the Rays a few years ago) is some serious eye candy.

16151_10151171701678429_2025777956_n.jpg

• Love 2

At pretty much every school I ever went to, there was a not-at-all-cliquey-clique of Orthodox kids who did indeed refer to themselves as the Jew Crew (and other friends both Jewish and not also referred to them as such), so I'm not surprised that Team Israel, full of American Jews, might utilize the same moniker. I mean, I know my experience is not a giant sample size but makes it an unsurprising thing.

• Love 1

This is old news, but I just heard that future Mets first baseman Tim Tebow said he wanted to adopt kids from every continent.

I think single parents are quite capable of successfully raising children, but given Tebow's outspoken religious views, shouldn't he be working on the whole "marriage" thing first?

28 minutes ago, xaxat said:

This is old news, but I just heard that future Mets first baseman Tim Tebow said he wanted to adopt kids from every continent.

Every continent?  What does he plan to adopt from Antarctica, an Emperor penguin?

• Love 7