Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I guess that means Aaron Judge will have to carry on the torch of combining lots of homers with a batting average near the Mendoza line.

He's hardly the first guy who just couldn't stay healthy in the second half of his career (see Ken Griffey Jr) but it really is a shame. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Sooooo

The Dbacks/Dodgers game is delayed as we await a beekeeper at Chase Field in Phoenix.

There’s a massive swarm atop the home plate safety netting.

One of the dangers of opening the rooftop that no one talks about.

eta: The Man of the Hour has arrived!  Phoenicians are buzzing tonight, baby 🤣

IMG_3805.thumb.jpeg.0e18ffc24aa447f5cc2eddb79189a8c5.jpeg

Edited by voiceover
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5

What the Hell!! 
IMG_1094.thumb.jpeg.5d8831f9f869e33636ffd594faf3dc0f.jpeg

I was debating whether to watch the Tigers game or mow the lawn (guess which choice was winning).  Decision taken out of my hands, I guess.

• Angry 3
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I was debating whether to watch the Tigers game or mow the lawn (guess which choice was winning).  Decision taken out of my hands, I guess.

Wow. Are you in the Tigers footprint? I'd be losing my my mind over this. It doesn't seem to be temporary, either. Sometimes, if Xfinity (or any other provider) is in negotiations, you might lose that service for a week or two. This doesn't sound like that. 😕

Some western teams lost Bally last year. I can think of San Diego, Arizona, and Colorado off the top of my head. 

It sucks that their contract with Xfinity ended during the season. Why couldn't they have negotiated this in the off-season?

(edited)

Because it’s Diamond Sports Group who negotiates, not the teams. It’s not just baseball affected, hockey and basketball teams are too, (offseason isn’t really a factor since the sports all have their own calendar). Each team basically gets $80 million from them (or whatever the price tag is) and lets them deal with all the broadcasting. Quite a few teams (some DSG teams, mostly the AT&T Sportsnet ones) have elected to strike out on their own and handle it themselves. Obviously, this would be the smarter thing to do, because all the teams that retain their own broadcasting rights aren’t having this problem.

Edited by DMK
  • Like 1

Ha, some browsing through X is enlightening. For teams like the Braves, Twins and Tigers, where Xfinity is the primary cable provider, there is quite an uproar. But hilariously, the Dallas area primary cable provider is Spectrum. So there’s no uproar there. Xfinity is the primary provider in Houston, but there’s still not really an uproar because they don’t seem to care that they can’t watch the Rangers.

The Tigers next game isn’t until Friday and Monday’s game is going to be broadcast on FS1, so I may just wait until Tuesday to figure out what to do.  There is no way I am going to sub to Fubo or Spectrum+ at the $70+ per month they want.  Bally’s season pass is cheaper than paying per month, but do I want to give 6 months of payments to a company that has filed for bankruptcy?  I really don’t want to reward anybody’s behavior, but damnit I want to watch baseball!

12 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

Suggestion (just a suggestion)...put the player's name on their HOME uniforms, as well as their road unis. 😴

I think it’s just Boston that does that. Besides, you know, the Yankees that don’t do names at all.

4 hours ago, ebk57 said:

How bout dem Os hon?!!

(Gotta jump on the opportunity while I can...)

I don't think it's a "while you can" situation. This Orioles' team is the real deal and I thought so even before your team kicked my team's butt three times over these past four days to move into first place!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, smittykins said:

Didn’t they win the AL East last year?

They did. 

It will take me a while to get comfortable...

• Like 1

Judge looked calm. He must have just said the magic word to the ump. I was shocked that he was tossed. The crowd at YS was definitely NOT happy.

• Like 1

He said “…that call was bullshit and you’ve been bullshit all day.”  Which was 100% correct for both teams, BTW.

YES is debuting a new series this week called “The Story of My Number” (I hate that I am going to watch this) and it’s hosted by Gracie Chapman and I can’t help but wonder if that last name is a coincidence.

• Like 1

I was still a Mets fan in 1990.  Can anyone give a quick summary why the 1990 Yankees were special enough for a series on Peacock?

“…a top free agent signee went missing…”

“Hall, who was later convicted in the child sex crimes case, will also appear in an interview from prison.”

I’m listening…

• Like 1

The positive outcome from that awful time period was the banning of George Steinbrenner, which lasted for three years, until he was reinstated. Without the day-to-day interference of GMSIII, Stick Michael was able to craft the late '90s dynasty. Steinbrenner would have traded "the kids" for big names. Without that ban, there would never have been a "Fantastic Five." (I don't abide by that "Core Four" crap. Bernie Williams, making the big club in '91-'92, paved the way for Rivera, Jeter, Pettitte and Posada. They always acknowledge the importence of Bernie's rise as vital to each of them being retained and brought up to the Bronx.)

Poor Don Mattingly, having to live through all the bad years, only making the playoffs in his final season. The strike in '94 was heartbreaking. The Yankees had a great shot at winning it all that season. In the NL, a World Series in Montreal might have saved that franchise.

• Like 3
23 hours ago, DMK said:

Hi DMK...a little google helps: "The 1990 New York Yankees season was the 88th season for the Yankees. The team finished in seventh place in the American League East with a record of 67–95, finishing 21 games behind the Boston Red Sox. It was the Yankees' first last-place finish in 24 years, the most losses they accumulated in a season since 1912"

4 hours ago, grommit2 said:

Hi DMK...a little google helps: "The 1990 New York Yankees season was the 88th season for the Yankees. The team finished in seventh place in the American League East with a record of 67–95, finishing 21 games behind the Boston Red Sox. It was the Yankees' first last-place finish in 24 years, the most losses they accumulated in a season since 1912"

I wasn’t asking the question, I was answering it. My post was a link to an article about the documentary.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

The AppleTV+ broadcast crew is terrible.  

That is all.

FYI for future broadcasts you can switch the audio to the local radio call of the game

You miss any in game interviews but it made last week's Phillies game more enjoyable 

• Thanks 3
34 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

FYI for future broadcasts you can switch the audio to the local radio call of the game

Thanks for this info! While I haven't had to watch an AppleTV broadcast yet this season, their broadcasters are awful so I'm glad to know of this option.

• Like 1

@DMK 

I see that you requested that a forum be opened for the Bronx Zoo '90 limited series and that a moderator has approved the request. Well done! 👏 Speaking for myself, I'll probably forget that a forum exists. 🤦‍♀️ Would you please post the link to that forum when it opens? Thanks. 

• Like 1
(edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 10:35 PM, Lantern7 said:

Bartolo Colon is on The Amazing Race tonight.

In the episode, teams went to Estadio Bartolo Colon in the Dominican Republic. Turns out the big guy funded the stadium. It’s a training ground for ball players. Racers had to participate in drills: make a throw to first, catch a pop fly, then hit a bottle cap a minimal distance with a broom stick. Once those were done, teams got a clue from Bartolo himself on where to travel next. Oh, and there was a statue of Big Sexy outside the stadium.

I know the show streams in Paramount+, in case you want to see the episode.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 4

This Yankee fan was feeling so sad, despite the club’s good start, fearing that  Judge's mediocre second half last year, his poor start this year, and his talk that the toe isn’t really expected to get better but will always need to be managed, meant that he might be a seriously diminished player going forward. But he’s definitely starting to look like the exciting slugger he’s always been (injuries aside.). Fingers crossed.

Then it occurred to me how fun it would be (and how great for the game it would be), if he and Ohtani had a HR race.  They are two of the real household names in baseball, and a HR race with them could be big news for casual and non-fans as well as us diehards.  Just a pipe dream, but there it is.

• Like 2
On 5/11/2024 at 1:18 PM, ProudMary said:

@DMK 

I see that you requested that a forum be opened for the Bronx Zoo '90 limited series and that a moderator has approved the request. Well done! 👏 Speaking for myself, I'll probably forget that a forum exists. 🤦‍♀️ Would you please post the link to that forum when it opens? Thanks. 

The forum is created: Bronx Zoo ‘90: Crime, Chaos and Baseball.

• Applause 1

I will absolutely not purchase another platform to watch baseball.  Thankfully, the Yankees / Orioles game is going to be free, so I have heard.

• Sad 2
41 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I will absolutely not purchase another platform to watch baseball.  Thankfully, the Yankees / Orioles game is going to be free, so I have heard.

Well shit.  I was about to give away my Yankees tickets, but now how will I watch?  Other than on my computer or phone...  At 11:35 in the MORNING!  Who schedules games before noon???  😄

22 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Aaron Nola threw a three pitch inning yesterday. This was only the 202nd time that has happened.

Hit. Pop up. Double play

I was listening to the game at work and the radio call was epic.

• Like 1

I don’t understand this whole thing of showing a few games on a streamer.  The Roku Sunday morning games feature the Dbacks 3 times - the most of any team.  Is anyone going to sign up for a month’s charges to watch 1 game.  I still haven’t signed up for anything to make up for losing the games on Comcast.  I wonder what kind of numbers Bally+, Fubo, and Spectrum+ have seen?

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I don’t understand this whole thing of showing a few games on a streamer.  The Roku Sunday morning games feature the Dbacks 3 times - the most of any team.  Is anyone going to sign up for a month’s charges to watch 1 game.  I still haven’t signed up for anything to make up for losing the games on Comcast.  I wonder what kind of numbers Bally+, Fubo, and Spectrum+ have seen?

It’s not like the Apple TV games (which I do not sign up for, I just miss the game that day). The Roku games are free.

1 hour ago, DMK said:

It’s not like the Apple TV games (which I do not sign up for, I just miss the game that day). The Roku games are free.

While I shouldn't be affected by this as I have a Roku TV, I am curious. How does one access the games if they don't have a Roku TV or a Roku stick?

42 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

While I shouldn't be affected by this as I have a Roku TV, I am curious. How does one access the games if they don't have a Roku TV or a Roku stick?

You download the Roku channel app. I did that on my tv. I didn’t do it for baseball, I already had it because they have some old tv shows I wanted to watch.

• Like 1