Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Wait.  Wait wait wait.  The Twins have to cut payroll because of a TV rights deal?  Is that not ludicrous?

I believe the Twins are (were?) with Bally, so anything is possible. 

2 hours ago, DMK said:

But… it’s not a pay channel. It’s a free one. Like YouTube. 

Okay.  I didn't even know Roku was a channel.  I thought it was some system you hook up to your TV.  I'm old.  

I do have Amazon Prime, so I figured that out.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Wait.  Wait wait wait.  The Twins have to cut payroll because of a TV rights deal?  Is that not ludicrous?

Well, that’s not new news, that was their statement last off season. It’s why they had to let Sonny Gray walk.

• Mind Blown 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I believe the Twins are (were?) with Bally, so anything is possible. 

They did mention Bally.  I am flummoxed.

Also, on a related unrelated note, Hal Steinbrenner sounds exactly like the guy who played George [Hal’s father, not Costanza] on “Seinfeld”.

Edited by mojoween
  • LOL 2
4 hours ago, Johannah said:

Okay.  I didn't even know Roku was a channel.  I thought it was some system you hook up to your TV.  I'm old.  

I do have Amazon Prime, so I figured that out.

Thanks for the info.

It’s not an actual channel, it’s an app called Roku Channel. But it’s like YouTube in that you can watch it for free (but with ads) without having to subscribe or pay for anything. If you have a Roku device, the app is automatically there already but if you don’t, you can download the Roku Channel app and you’re good to go.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

Watched Mets/Marlins on and off. I think it’s safe to say that whatever dark deal Edwin Diaz made in 2022 has long since expired.

The husband, who grew up as a Reds and A’s fan, but now watches the Yankees because That Is What We Do In This Household, just today found out that if you reach base on an error, it’s not counted as a hit.  He finds it stupid.

Anthony Volpe got plunked in the thigh and I wish that players would show us the bruises the next day.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I’ve always thought it stupid that if someone reaches on an error, his battting average goes down.  It’s not his fault that the fielder effed up, why should he be penalized for it?

My late husband was a Mets fan, and if they and the Yankees were playing at the same time, we would switch games during commercials.  I could usually get him to watch the Yanks if the Mets were off.

Edited by smittykins
  • Like 2

It makes sense to me. The hitter would have been out if not for the fielding error. It'd be an artificial inflation of the batting average to count it as a hit. OBP does not include errors either. These statistics are meant to evaluate a batter's performance and thus their value.

• Like 6
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

The husband, who grew up as a Reds and A’s fan, but now watches the Yankees because That Is What We Do In This Household, just today found out that if you reach base on an error, it’s not counted as a hit.  He finds it stupid.

Anthony Volpe got plunked in the thigh and I wish that players would show us the bruises the next day.

Your husband had great taste. 🤪

• LOL 2
19 hours ago, smittykins said:

I’ve always thought it stupid that if someone reaches on an error, his battting average goes down.  It’s not his fault that the fielder effed up, why should he be penalized for it?

The batter's average doesn't go down any more than if the fielder had just made the play and recorded the out, if the the batter's average didn't go down that would be the batter getting rewarded because the fielder screwed up.

It would also penalize the pitcher more by making their Batting Average Against go up due to a fielder's error.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

The Yankees are going to be in San Diego next week.  I’m sure everyone will be very measured and reasonable about it.

Buck Showalter turns 68 today which means he was like 39 when he managed the Yankees, and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around young Buck.  I mean, I’ve *seen* him at 39, and yet it’s still weird.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Yankees are going to be in San Diego next week

I was in SD a few weeks ago for a conference, and one of the vendors arranged a night at a Padres/Reds game. Beautiful park!

• Like 5

We may be making a "new stadium" trip to San Diego in August.  We haven't done one of those in about 5 years.  

I'll see how I feel about it ... soon. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I was in SD a few weeks ago for a conference, and one of the vendors arranged a night at a Padres/Reds game. Beautiful park!

Petco is a very nice park. My favorite of the newer parks I've visited. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

We may be making a "new stadium" trip to San Diego in August.  We haven't done one of those in about 5 years.  

I'll see how I feel about it ... soon. 

You should! Gorgeous city. 

• Like 3

I realize that my team won the game, but last night's umping in San Diego was appalling and should be called out. Also, checked swing miscalls have been ridiculously high lately across the board. 

Screenshot_20240526_131843_DuckDuckGo.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

If Tatis is an infielder, why is he playing right field?

Because half of the San Diego position players are shortstops. Bogaerts, Kim, Cronenworth, Machado, Tatis, Profar… all shortstops. But they can’t all play there.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I keep wanting to call Oswaldo Cabrera Orlando Cabrera, the former Expos infielder who was the last batter in Coney’s perfect game.

Tim McCarver voice:  “Orlando Cabrera, oh-for-two this afternoon, no kidding.”

• LOL 1
(edited)

What a bummer that they lost their MVP. He wasn’t as good as last year, but that’s gotta hurt.

Edited by twoods
  • Sad 4

It’s weird not having a game on Memorial Day.  I miss those Friday-to-Monday “wraparound” series they often had on holiday weekends.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I was just coming here to post that - Oh Happy Day!!!!!!

I thought of coming here to post it 15 minutes ago, but I thought it was either a joke or old news...that would've been addressed previously!

25 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Angel Hernandez retiring!!

I feel like Angel looking at a strike right down the middle, I didn’t see it coming…..

• LOL 6

Why would Angel Hernandez retire two months into the season? Wonder what’s up. Can’t have gotten fired for his efficiency rating, that’s been in the shitter for years.

• LOL 1

Just kick them all out.  No need for a human making the difference between wins & losses over balls & strikes.  After all, it is 2024, and most things are up to date within Planet Earth.

Even if they did eventually go to robot umps, I’m positive that there would still be ssome players whining “It’s been calibrated wrong!”

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Good riddance, Angel. The best news since Tom Hallion finally retired a couple of years ago, after a decidedly undistinguished career. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Angel Hernandez retiring!!

I remember watching that game; both teams were equally fed up with Hernandez. Call after call resulting in WTF? reactions by every player, broadcaster, and fan. They don't talk about it in that clip, but it was clear that Hader didn't think it was a strike. I'll bet every sportswriter covering a MLB team posted an article today detailing the many times Hernandez screwed the team they cover.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Angel Hernandez retires *and* the Negro Leagues stats have been folded into MLB stats?  Is it Christmas already?

It's good that someone like Josh Gibson is being recognized. He died young and never got a chance to play in MLB. 

Hulu has a good documentary called The League about the Negro League of anyone is interested.

• Like 6
  • Applause 4

Watching the Mets is like watching the proverbial car accident these days. Yikes. 

If nothing else, the guy who caught the glove seemed really thrilled with it!

• Like 2
(edited)

Do the Mets not have a interpreter available for the players where English is not their first language. It does sound like he's saying teammate. According to his Instagram he said he said teammate. 

I do think there are quite a few players who speak English pretty well but use interpreters when doing actual interviews..I guessing so things like this don't happen.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 6

The article linked here pretty much incapsulates my thoughts on the Lopez story. (Although I'd argue tossing his glove isn't that big a deal.)

Hopefully another team gives him a shot. I'd have no issues with him being a Cardinal.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Do the Mets not have a interpreter available for the players where English is not their first language.

Elsewhere, I read that they do have an interpreter, who was nearby when this happened. It is up to the player whether to use the interpreter or to speak directly with the reporter, the interpreter can't force the player to use him.

I wonder if that’s why Shohei always has his interpreter around him. He clearly understands most of what is said around him and his English is pretty good, but with how many endorsements and dollar signs attached to his image he can’t afford something to be screwed up in translation or context.

• Like 4