Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Os are winning the World Series this season!

That's my hot take after not being here for a week. 

I can't disagree with you. As constructed, they sure look to be the favorites to win the AL pennant, IMO. Barring injuries, Orioles/Dodgers looks like a good pre-season bet for the WS. Of course, they have to play 162, and stuff happens.

2 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I can't disagree with you. As constructed, they sure look to be the favorites to win the AL pennant, IMO. Barring injuries, Orioles/Dodgers looks like a good pre-season bet for the WS. Of course, they have to play 162, and stuff happens.

Sigh...  I often wonder why we can't just play on paper... 

• LOL 3
18 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Barring injuries, Orioles/Dodgers looks like a good pre-season bet for the WS.

I don’t know, the Dodgers spending spree reeks of the Mets and Padres attempts. And we saw how well that went…

• Like 2

I realize that this video I'm sharing (Length 7:35) is from the YES Network so non-Yankees fans may choose not to watch, but it's a very good panel discussion on the automated ball-strike system that was implemented last season across AAA Baseball. I've been a cheerleader for the system's implementation at the major league level but after listening to this discussion, I think I like the halfway mode where the umps still make the calls, but the team has challenges available if they believe an egregious call has been made. Worth a watch, IMO.

• Like 2

Pitch framing is annoying, but very difficult for the ump to ignore. A robot should be able to eliminate the framing.
It will be interesting when someone hacks the system and calls everything a strike.

Baseball is such an interesting sport. In almost every other sport, if you told me that we can implement technology so that something could always be called correctly, I would be like "Let's make that happen immediately."

Like this technology being used for tennis is wonderful. The damn ball was or wasn't in play. Period. Vast majority of bad calls and temper tantrums removed. 

But with baseball, I find myself wondering what Greg Maddux's career would have been like if he couldn't expand the strike zone. And then on the other hand, I think what it'll be like for Aaron Judge to be given a fair strike zone 100% of the time.

It's like part of baseball's appeal is getting away with cheating, or at the very least, there is emotion attached to the game because umpires might get things wrong.

• Like 8

Just put Jeter in charge.  It might not be the best choice going forward, but Derek as the Commish isn't anything but horrible.  That way, someone else succeeding Manfred would avoid being such a villain that people would be wishing for Rob to regain the spot

• Applause 1
(edited)

The only players I've seen say anything positive are those with Nike deals. And they sound as authentic as a $3 bill. 

I saw a quote ostensibly from Nolan Arenado, and as someone who has spent far too many hours of her life listening to Nolan speak... there is 0% chance he ever said that. (His usual speech patterns are baseball word salad of run-on sentences.) Lol

Edited by Jane Tuesday

According to MLB/Nike the parts are the same material and thickness. I'm having a hard time believing that no one noticed before. 

Between the jerseys and the pants MLB, Nike and Fanatics look terrible. On top of that they are charging 400 for the jerseys. 

(edited)

Uniform issues aside it's good to have baseball back. Although since MLB Network is showing the Blue Jays feed I could have done without seeing Joe Carter's home run from 93 again 😂😭.  

Spring Training shenanigans are fun.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 1
  • LOL 6
On 2/24/2024 at 11:56 AM, cleo said:

The next step is they will quietly fix the issue and then continue pretending there was never anything wrong.

The Royals apparently still have the larger NOB letters, so there's absolutely no reason every team can't have the same.  That wouldn't fix the flimsy fabric, but at least I'd be able to tell who the heck is on the field.  Spring training games without visible names are tough.  lol

My biggest issue is with the fabric.  They just look so cheap.  Wrinkly and kind of damp looking.  I know they're trying to use more athletic-type fabric, but I just don't think that works with baseball uniforms, which are more structured than other uniforms.

They look like pajamas to me.  Like a little kid wanted to dress like his favorite ballplayer for Halloween, so his mom took a pair of white PJs and her cricut and whipped him up a uniform.

• Like 2

I realize I should probably put this in the Chit-Chat or work related thread, but I feel the need to tell you all that I'm retiring at the end of the month and today, I started packing up the 'heads.  My lord, they're dusty... 

This will take me the rest of the month and I'm dreading it.  Not the retiring part, the packing part.

• Hugs 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I realize I should probably put this in the Chit-Chat or work related thread, but I feel the need to tell you all that I'm retiring at the end of the month and today, I started packing up the 'heads.  My lord, they're dusty... 

This will take me the rest of the month and I'm dreading it.  Not the retiring part, the packing part.

How many bobbleheads are we talking about?

I'm checking the Mets' schedule in case you'll swing by the NYC area. There's a Dwight Gooden bobblehead with moving arm promotion to celebrate his number (16) being retired (April 13), Mr. Met London Phone Booth (it's not a TARDIS) (May 11), Hello Kitty Light-Up Bow (May 26), Darryl Strawberry Baseball Card Bobblehead for his number retirement (18) (June 2), Brandon Nimmo (July 12), and Francisco Lindor Streetwear (July 29; let's hope the Mets aren't compelled to deal him by then).

Of course, if you're swearing off bobbleheads entirely, forgot what I just said.

Aside from Kodai Senga getting hurt, I haven't heard much from Mets camp. I'm really hoping that 2024 isn't strictly a write-off.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

How many bobbleheads are we talking about?

I'm checking the Mets' schedule in case you'll swing by the NYC area. There's a Dwight Gooden bobblehead with moving arm promotion to celebrate his number (16) being retired (April 13), Mr. Met London Phone Booth (it's not a TARDIS) (May 11), Hello Kitty Light-Up Bow (May 26), Darryl Strawberry Baseball Card Bobblehead for his number retirement (18) (June 2), Brandon Nimmo (July 12), and Francisco Lindor Streetwear (July 29; let's hope the Mets aren't compelled to deal him by then).

Of course, if you're swearing off bobbleheads entirely, forgot what I just said.

Aside from Kodai Senga getting hurt, I haven't heard much from Mets camp. I'm really hoping that 2024 isn't strictly a write-off.

I have 298 at the moment.  I kept them in the office because I wasn't allowed to have them at home (!!).  However, now Mr. ebk has no choice but to let them in.  So there! 

I love the Mr. Met in the London phone booth!!  But, it's in May and I try not to visit NYC in the spring and fall because the hotels are soooooo much more expensive.  This year, we will be there in early April because there's a play I must see and it's only running through May, but usually we come up in dead summer and dead winter.  

If anyone wants to get me a Mr. Met in the phone booth, I'd be really happy 😄

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The Foul Territory guys were at Mets camp today. I didn't watch too much of of because the Mets aren't my team, but you might find it interesting. 

Xavier Scruggs has recent long-form interviews with Pete Alonso and Harrison Bader (❤️) on his YouTube channel, too. The Bader one was great, which led me to watch the one with Pete, who I was pleasantly surprised by. I love the new crop of digital shows giving the players more of a voice. 

While I'm not going to "skip the 2024 MLB season" that's something I'd say I'd do if Cole is absent for 2024 and whatever else.

(edited)
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

“Carlos Rodon might the the Opening Day starter” is the most terrifying sentence I will hear all month.

Not going to see Dr. ElAttrache? The reports are there is no tear so that's not the worse thing. As a baseball fan I hopes he's back soon baseball is more fun when all the stars are playing.

Yankee going to call Scott Boras and tried to get something done with Blake Snell?

Dylan Cease going to padres

Edited by shoregirl
48 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Yankee going to call Scott Boras and tried to get something done with Blake Snell?

Snell would only cover half the innings Cole did. They’d have to get two pitchers to replace Cole. 

Doesn’t matter, they’re not signing Snell. There’s a 110% tax on whoever they sign, plus a loss of two draft picks, plus another draft pick loss because of the QO on Snell. That’s a pretty hefty price tag that I doubt they want to pay.

I guess that Cole not throwing for 3-4 weeks is optimistic.  To be accurate, that's not a positive sentence, but I think I've definitely heard worse as it relates to the worst case scenario.

• Like 2

I don't trust anything that comes from the mouths of Cashman or Boone anymore when it comes to injured players. On the other hand, Gerrit Cole's very positive attitude after testing and meeting with Dr. ElAttrache gives me some level of confidence that we're not being lied to. For any Yankees' fans who didn't see the interview with him Saturday, here it is. (Video length 1:39)

• Like 1
On 3/12/2024 at 10:14 AM, mojoween said:

I swear the term MRI is going to start giving me agita.

Elsewhere, we were discussing a Mets player who might possibly have a shoulder/arm strain, and someone asked, "Why not have him take an MRI just in case?"

I joked, "I think the MRI machine is actually causing them!" which led to the comment 'MRI - May Result in Injuries'.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 8

Maybe I’m a cynic, but that all sounds so fishy to me. I’m sorry, how would this guy have access to Ohtani’s bank info? He wouldn’t. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, DMK said:

Maybe I’m a cynic, but that all sounds so fishy to me. I’m sorry, how would this guy have access to Ohtani’s bank info? He wouldn’t. 

giphy.gif

It's not fishy to me. He probably helped Shohei set up a bank account. American Greed is filled with athletes being conned by people they trusted.

• Like 5
34 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

It's not fishy to me. He probably helped Shohei set up a bank account.

He’s not a sixty year old grandpa flummoxed by those newfangled computer thingies. If he is, his accountant would get him set up with that.

Secondly, the guy changed his story. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1