Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I'm so happy for Garrett Cole.  Having followed the career of the former 1st overall pick, he's done well for the team he played for.  His 2015 season was rather tremendous.  I'd love to see him get over the top & get that title.  It's more doubtful than probable, but maybe New York will adjust in a positive way

• Like 1

I think this is the right call. MLB is different from the other sports in that one player cannot carry a team and one player cannot really make the other players around them better, with minor exceptions (catchers who are very good at calling pitches, an infielder who is great at the double-play tandem). So I don't feel excellent players should be penalized for playing on losing teams to the extent that they would be in another sport.

But baseball has WAR- Wins Above Replacement - which measures how many wins a player does manage to bring a team over a generic player. I've pointed out before how a historically significant WAR is still a tiny number of a team's overall games, which underlines my point about baseball being different from other sports. Ohtani is #1 in WAR this season without it being close, he's at just over 10 WAR and it's rare to achieve 10 WAR - which is just about 6% of a team's schedule.

Baseball just isn't the same as other sports. I don't see a reason to dismiss 10 WAR just because Ohtani played on a losing team. He's still a Most Valuable Player - which is why he's going to make a fortune in his upcoming deal(s).

• Like 6
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Unanimous MVP.  Preposterous.

Huh.  Guess I need to be more specific - Acuna, I’m fine with.

As soon as I saw the announcement, I thought of you... 😄

• Wink 1
  • LOL 2

First of the free agent pitcher signed. Nola will remain the longest tenured Phillie and I will not have to be sad seeing him another uniform (especially the braves one since that was a rumor earlier this week). I'm already going to be sad seeing Rhys Hoskins a another uniform as the Phillies have stated that Harper will remain at 1st leaving no spot for Hoskins who missed all his last season with a torn ACL. 

• Like 1

I would have loved to have Nola in St. Louis, but this doesn't surprise me. He clearly loves being there, has had tons of success, the Phillies are good right now. I think he just went to FA to make sure he got his real worth. 

Good for him! Hopefully he'll finish his career as a Phillie.

• Like 1

Renewals for next season just came in!  If I can't upgrade my seats, I'll keep the seats I have - which means I'll have 1 extra if anyone is in town and wants to come along 😄

I'll let you all know...

• Like 1
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, mojoween said:

“Major League” is SUCH a good movie (that has less than zero chance in hell of getting made today) but man.  The ending sucked.

For many, many years here in Cleveland, the ending of that movie was the litmus test for a true Cleveland Indians fan.  If you cried at that ending, you were a true blue Tribe fan.  I passed the test.  At the time the film was made, 1989, the Indians had not come close to the playoffs in about 35 years; longer than I'd been alive at the time.  The thought of them beating the Yankees in the ALCS to go to the Series was total fantasy at that point.  The ending was the BEST part of a terrific movie.  BTW, I went to Spring Training in Tuscon in '91 (we lost 105 games that year) and the big celeb amongst the fans was the Major League nun (opening credits; nun feeding pigeons on Public Square wearing a Tribe jacket).  Nice lady, actual nun and rabid Tribe fan.

To think it was only 6 years later that we made the Series.  I had a 20 game season package that year.  A friend who had season tickets for the Braves invited me to Game 1 of the WS down there.  As the teams were introduced and they were playing the national anthem; I burst into tears.  My friend's husband said, 'boy, you sure are patriotic.' That wasn't why I was crying.

Edited by Notabug
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
On 11/21/2023 at 9:06 PM, mojoween said:

“Major League” is SUCH a good movie (that has less than zero chance in hell of getting made today) but man.  The ending sucked.

Heh.  Whenever anybody asks me what movie brings a tear to my eye, I always say Major League. And I'm a Yankees fan. And not only that, I'm very loud about not being a fan of rooting for underdogs. 

But when it comes to fictional Yankees and fictional underdogs, I'm all in for the Major League Cleveland Indians every time.

Charlie Sheen Baseball GIF by Comedy Central

On 11/21/2023 at 9:56 PM, Notabug said:

I had a 20 game season package that year. 

My brother bought me a pair of tickets for a 20 game package to the Yankees in 1998.  (AKA: Happy Birthday bro! Enjoy getting to drive me to 20 Yankees game this summer.) 

Having said that, he picked the absolute best year to do that.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I knew this was coming, but I'm still heartbroken that Luis Severino will no longer be in pinstripes. 💔 I wish Sevy nothing but the best. I hope he has a great season for the Mets next year. I'm happy for him and his family that they get to stay in New York.

https://www.instagram.com/severino40/p/C0U2aIkx6iN/?img_index=1

Mets wear pinstripes also, NYY aren't the only team to wear them. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Kimbrel signed with the O's. I think Philly is glad to be rid of him.

I won't miss him.The way it ended was terrible and there was no chance the Phillies would sign him again but he wasn't so bad the rest of the season sometime anxiety inducing but not bad.it was cool to see him get his 400th save in a Phillies uniform 

But yeah have fun Baltimore!

Edited by shoregirl
On 12/6/2023 at 6:44 AM, smittykins said:

Hi Smittykins...
This is disappointing news. Verdugo played well on defense, had a strong arm, and could hit the long ball.  Yes, he occasionally bumped into management. But this move leaves the Sox - once again - looking for a starting outfielder with power and defensive skills. Worst part...he now plays for the Yankees. Agh!

• Sad 1
Just now, Carey said:

Take it from a Mets fan . . . you cannot crown anyone this early. But yeah, the Dodgers took a step forward. And Ohtani doesn’t have to move his stuff during the season.

I was kinda hoping the Mets would make a play. I guess Max was right and the team won’t be contending next year.

• Like 1

So much screaming going on in my house right now that my ears are ringing. Excited for the Dodgers fans right now and hope Shohei continues to be healthy next season. Too bad he’s not pitching, but 700 million? Damn, a Dodger dog is now going to be 30 bucks.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Carey said:

Sure just look at all titles the Angels have . Pretty much everyone thought this was where he was going so it's a little underwhelming.

I was hoping for some chaos.. Toronto would have been fun...going back to the Angels would have been hilarious. 

According to Passan there will be deferrals.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

Take it from a Mets fan . . . you cannot crown anyone this early. But yeah, the Dodgers took a step forward. And Ohtani doesn’t have to move his stuff during the season.

I was kinda hoping the Mets would make a play. I guess Max was right and the team won’t be contending next year.

Oh you're definitely right about "crowning this early" in the year.  However, I would if I had to pick the 2024 MLB winner on December 9th, 2023.

The thing is, if he doesn't take a step back, that's great for LA.  What's different is the fact that the Dodgers actually have enough to win as if Ohtani wasn't on the team

• Like 1

The Dodgers still don’t have much as far as pitching goes. We saw where they were with that in the NLDS. And Ohtani isn’t pitching next year. So yeah, hold off on that pre-crown ceremony.

Meanwhile, all mvp hopefuls from the AL rejoice that they might actually have a chance now

• Like 4

The fact is, Ohtani is in a much, much, better place.  As for those reports on going to Toronto?  Yeah it's a very beautiful area on Planet Earth, but Shotei would have been better off staying as an Angel if the Blue Jays were a legit choice

51 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

And Ohtani doesn’t have to move his stuff during the season.

Even better, he can now buy a fully furnished million dollar home in every MLB city with just one year's worth of salary.

And how much would he have gotten if his elbow was healthy? 

Edited by baldryanr
1 hour ago, Carey said:

The fact is, Ohtani is in a much, much, better place.  As for those reports on going to Toronto?  Yeah it's a very beautiful area on Planet Earth, but Shotei would have been better off staying as an Angel if the Blue Jays were a legit choice

"It's cosmopolitan as hell! And you don't have to learn French here!"

Question for the Yankees fans here . . . are you surprised Boone and Cashman are still with the organization?

9 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Question for the Yankees fans here . . . are you surprised Boone and Cashman are still with the organization?

Nope.  Hal has said several times he’s not making any changes.

George would have fired Cashman in 2011.

The Dodgers?  Yawwwwwwwn.

• Like 3

I’m sure the Dodgers will somehow make an profit off of Shohei despite that ridiculous contract. I don’t think there is anyone in the game that can be worth that much to a team, but he’s pretty damn close. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 4