Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

Happy 67th Don Larsen Day!  It’s so nice for the Yankees to have these rare moments to celebrate.

While they're golfing?

(I apologize for the snark. It's just that their early elimination is all too fresh.)

How many games is the ALDS? I know it used to be seven.

Also, the stadium pictures above, is that Camden Yards? I went to a couple of games there in 2006. I was working in Columbia, MD that summer a lot. It's a great stadium and the first of the retro modern stadiums in downtowns.

What's fun about the SF Giants stadium is that it's on the water and people sit there in their kayaks waiting for baseballs flying over the wall.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lamb18 said:

Also, the stadium pictures above, is that Camden Yards? I went to a couple of games there in 2006. I was working in Columbia, MD that summer a lot. It's a great stadium and the first of the retro modern stadiums in downtowns.

What's fun about the SF Giants stadium is that it's on the water and people sit there in their kayaks waiting for baseballs flying over the wall.

I've seen some EPIC fights for baseballs hit into McCovey Cove. Those guys mean business. 😀

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

5 games

Yes, that's Camden Yards.  Still a fabulous place to watch a ballgame. 

I like the ballpark in SF, too.  Lovely view and really good food. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Many years ago the LCS was 5 games, but expanded to 7 games.  I know it was 7 games at least by 1987 when the Twins beat the Tigers in 5.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Many years ago the LCS was 5 games, but expanded to 7 games.  I know it was 7 games at least by 1987 when the Twins beat the Tigers in 5.

My baseball playoff memory is stuck back in 1991. Nice to hear the announcers refer to Game 7 of the 1991 World Series. I know the playoffs changed and there's more games than there used to be, but I never quite got it. I guess becauseTwins haven't made it anywhere in the playoffs in the past 20 years.

Thanks Proud Mary for explaining.

Forgot to add I hope we can close it down at home now.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Like 2

Seems weird to see Jeter with Ortiz and the others talking about the game, then suddenly he is on a Jeep Wagoneer commercial, driving in the rain and stopping for a dog, maybe a wolf.

Edited by Lamb18

Guess I was wrong about the Marlins. Also, @ebk57 I'm sorry about the O's going down 2-0 at home. If the Rangers win the series, does Baltimore have an intact core to contend next year?

Also . . . if the Rangers win the World Series, does deGrom get a ring. Helluva route to get one . . . from being the Mets' unstoppable weapon to damaged goods on a postseason team.

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Guess I was wrong about the Marlins. Also, @ebk57 I'm sorry about the O's going down 2-0 at home. If the Rangers win the series, does Baltimore have an intact core to contend next year?

Also . . . if the Rangers win the World Series, does deGrom get a ring. Helluva route to get one . . . from being the Mets' unstoppable weapon to damaged goods on a postseason team.

If you've been on the team at any time during the year, yes.

Quick bit about the Mets and the World Series: there was 13 years between 1973 (when they lost to Oakland) and 1986, fourteen years before they went to their next Series, and 15 years after that. By that logic, their next World Series appearance would be in 2031.

18 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Also, @ebk57 I'm sorry about the O's going down 2-0 at home. If the Rangers win the series, does Baltimore have an intact core to contend next year?

Thanks. 

I believe we have the guys to contend next year.  But honestly, I know nothing... 

I do know that orange sneakers are hard to find.  Well, ones that I actually like.

• Like 2

Sorry @ebk57 . What an amazing season for the O's, however. I imagine these young guys will learn from this and be better next year.

In my corner of the world, I'm hoping the Jays GM is fired this week, although I'm not sure he will be. It's a long story, but if you Google throwing everyone under the bus to save himself, there is a picture of Ross Atkins.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

And it looks like Texas is going to send the O's home. Damn.

There's always a chance; remember the Red Sox in 2004.  However I don't feel too optimistic about the Orioles and Twins.  I won't be watching a Houston/Texas playoff so I guess I can hope for the Phillies to prevail.

9 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

There's always a chance; remember the Red Sox in 2004.  However I don't feel too optimistic about the Orioles and Twins.  I won't be watching a Houston/Texas playoff so I guess I can hope for the Phillies to prevail.

I'm on the DBacks' bandwagon.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Why do I feel that none of us regulars are going to get what we want in the next few weeks?

My hopes of an enjoyable Series are fading very fast.  There is still a chance, especially in the NL, but it’s not looking good.

• Like 1

The only team I am interested in is the Twins, but it isn’t a strong interest.  If I watch any other games it is only because there is nothing else on and I am too lazy to search through my streaming stuff to find anything.

• Like 1

I think I mentioned somewhere that Bochy might be the only thing to stop the Houston.  I'm not that optimistic, but to be fair, it's still a better shot to knock out the champs than Baltimore despite the Orioles having home field.

Man, not a fan of whoever comes out of the NL, but might be a big one this year!

Aside from Evan Longoria, I do not know anyone on the Diamondbacks.

So . . .  the Dodgers are basically frauds?

39 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Woo-hoooooo!!!

That’s why they’re known as the AnswerBacks 🤣🤣🤣

Cute nickname.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Texas vs. Houston I have never rooted harder for a sinkhole in my LIFE.

At least we don't have Schrezer vs. Verlander. I think the height of my misery was Ron Darling reminiscing about how he got lit up in Game 7 of the 1988 NLCS. That was rough. Worst part was the asshole classmates that gave me shit because they knew I was a Mets fan.

Edited by Lantern7

Mookie hasn’t had a hit in the playoffs since 2021. I would blame the Dodgers offense and their disappearing act rather than Roberts, but it’s inevitable he’s done. They need a scapegoat.

Anyone else dreading the inevitable Phillies/Astros WS rematch? I can’t stomach that again.

Edited by twoods

I mean, Dave Roberts getting fired probably makes sense, but I can see them doing the opposite more often than not.  Especially as the noise of firing him grows everyday from the fans on social media.

BTW, I agree with NUguy514; that was embarrassing, and someone else might need to be in Dave's place.  It's just that ownership tends to do the opposite of what their fans want.  They are not going to listen to ordinary people aka fans on social media.  This happens in other places too.  

Maybe, don't agree to a 3-year extension.  They had a chance to move on from Roberts without kicking him out under contract.  It's just that I don't think they're getting to the end with the way they operate.  While people would still call for his ouster, I would've been fine with a better showing in the NLDS, and even winning it outright before a back-and-forth NLCS before losing there

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Texas vs. Houston I have never rooted harder for a sinkhole in my LIFE.

Not calling out this comment specifically, but I've seen this sentiment a few times.  I know why everyone hates Houston, and I could not agree more, but what's wrong with the Rangers?  I don't really pay any attention to the AL, but I'm softly hoping for them to win, for Jordan Montgomery.  Should I not be?

I'm Team Anyone But the Trashstros or the Cobb County Crackers.

• Like 3

I'll admit that I was happy for Houston's win in 2022, but that was only because I wanted to see Dusty win.  That was long overdue.  Yeah there has been criticism over the years & every once in a while, he'd say (or do) something to where I was all like, "C'Mon man!"

Despite some of the pettiness, coupled with managing the Astros, it was great to see him win.  Now that it's a part of history, there's nothing to root for.  For me, it's gone from, "They cheated!" to, "Meh, this is boring, and several people including yours truly would rather see something different."

Having Bochy in there for Texas was important, since, as mentioned, he's the best person to topple Houston.  Not sure it'll happen.  Now, he did knock off the team that would've had homefield advantage, though I think I definitely would not have bet for Baltimore to beat Houston this year.

Got to root for Arizona in the NL, BTW.  No big hate for Atlanta or Philadelphia, but same thing applies: something new.  I would take Philly before Atlanta, but only if it meant winning it all, or only if Texas wins the AL pennant

Dusty is a big baby and fuck Houston.

The Rangers dispatched the Yankees from the playoffs once recently so they have my enmity for that, and I was rooting SO hard for Baltimore that I can’t root for Texas.  Also fuck the AL West too.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'm rooting for DBacks/Texas. 

I'd agree that this is the best possible outcome among the teams that are still standing. (I was hoping for the Orioles or the Twins.)

As a Yankees' fan, I'm tending towards the Rangers because of Jordan Montgomery. I also thought the Yankees gave up on Nate Eovaldi too early and shouldn't have let him walk, so I can get behind him, BUT, Aroldis Chapman is on the Rangers roster and I detest him with with every bone in my body. Makes it a tough decision. So...

Any Team But the Astros!

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

All of the 100-win teams lost, so while I still feel bad, I don't feel that bad (or at least not that embarrassed anymore...).

Also, post-season merch is already discounted for me, so yeah, I bought some. I mean, I'm getting all that ticket money refunded, so why not!

Edited by ebk57
  • Like 6