Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

If I were to cancel my cable TV, how would I watch the playoffs and WS?   Cheaply, please.

Don't cancel until the Championship Series are over.  From MLB.com

"Where can I watch the postseason?

The Wild Card Series will be carried by ESPN platforms. The ALDS and ALCS will be on FOX/FS1; the NLDS and NLCS on TBS. The World Series will air on FOX.

All series are available for streaming in the U.S. with authentication to a participating Pay TV provider required."

Congratulations @AimingforYoko. I was the lone Blue Jays fan that was more worried about the Twins than the Rays.

I mean the series isn't over, but I'm from Toronto lol, the home of epic and spectacular post season collapses, in multiple sports. I'm still scarred from that collapse last year. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
5 minutes ago, cleo said:

Congratulations @AimingforYoko. I was the lone Blue Jays fan that was more worried about the Twins than the Rays.

I mean the series isn't over, but I'm from Toronto lol, the home of epic and spectacular post season collapses, in multiple sports. I'm still scarred from that collapse last year. 

I'm a Twins fan, and I'm thrilled with ending the losing streak today.  I also have a soft spot in my heart for Blue Jay fans.  Years ago I discovered that many BJ fans from central Canada come to Minneapolis to see their team play, and they were such nice people.  One couldn't tell with all the noise, but I'm sure there were several BJ fans in the park.

I'd like to see the Brewers advance in the post-season too.  My grandmother rooted for the Milwaukee Braves and Brewers.

Then there is the Phillies.  They were my first team, dating back to that fateful 1964 season.

I think I have the most interest in these WC games!

• Like 2

Congratulations to Jordan Montgomery on a great outing giving the Rangers a 1-0 lead over the Rays in their WC series.

And, because it can't be said enough, eff you Brian Cashman. 

Edited by ProudMary
Added a comma.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

“Jordan Montgomery pitched an absolute gem tonight” SportsCenter All Night declared, as I sob into my hot cocoa.

They also said that Tampa is 27 out of 30 for attendance for the season, and I find it hard to believe that there are *three* franchises who draw fewer fans.  Oakland, I would guess?  But two more?  Can’t be.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

They also said that Tampa is 27 out of 30 for attendance for the season, and I find it hard to believe that there are *three* franchises who draw fewer fans.  Oakland, I would guess?  But two more?  Can’t be.

The other two are their fellow Floridians in Miami and KC, whose utterly crappy season was only marginally better than Oakland's. 

• Useful 1

No.  Kansas City?!?  But they love their Royals even when bad, don’t they?

Miami I should have known.  Poor attendance is kind of their thing, according to former Miami Marlins President and Survivor First-Boot David Samson.

And the Twins enjoyed winning a playoff game so much, they decided to do it again. Now, of course it gets harder with the defending champs, but we've got a few days to enjoy it.

Texas-Baltimore, I've no clue how that one's going to go. Texas is straight mashing right now.

• Like 4

It's too bad, but it isn't too bad that a team that fell short toward a bye doesn't get booted from the postseason thanks to one bad day following a 162-game season.  Despite being okay with the one-game wildcard (which is the current feeling since it's been a rapid WC), best of 3 is pretty good.  Too bad they're waiting until Saturday to start the LDS as opposed to Thursday or Friday

• Like 1
On 10/3/2023 at 7:24 PM, ProudMary said:

Don't cancel until the Championship Series are over.  From MLB.com

"Where can I watch the postseason?

The Wild Card Series will be carried by ESPN platforms. The ALDS and ALCS will be on FOX/FS1; the NLDS and NLCS on TBS. The World Series will air on FOX.

All series are available for streaming in the U.S. with authentication to a participating Pay TV provider required."

Not sure if ESPN+ will carry the playoff games. There is very likely no way to legally stream any FOX games without already having access to the games through some sort of Satellite/Cable/Pay TV Streaming-bundle service.

I mean, FOX will be broadcast over the air from the local affiliate, so you could always put an antenna on a TV if you're in the ballpark of getting decent reception. 

Best bet for reducing the amount of cost one incurs from Cable or Satellite TV would be to drop their TV service and find a Sling or YouTube TV or Hulu package that has the desired channels to replace it. There will be no equipment charges and it should be significantly less expensive if you are able to go with a slimmed down channel lineup.

• Like 2

I'm glad Twins won the wild card. But I could not watch any of the games. I use Fubo streaming and none of the Fox stations had it on. Or Bally, where the games usually are. I hope I can watch the next game on Saturday.

36 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

I'm glad Twins won the wild card. But I could not watch any of the games. I use Fubo streaming and none of the Fox stations had it on. Or Bally, where the games usually are. I hope I can watch the next game on Saturday.

On Saturday the AL games are on FS1 and the NL games are on TBS so hopefully you can watch.  That's too bad fellow Twins fan that you weren't able to see the Lewis homeruns in game 1 and Duran's pitching in the last inning of game 2.

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

The Minnesota wild card games were on ABC. They will be on FS1 or FOX the rest of the way. They won’t be on Bally, that’s only for the regular season. 

7 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Actually, Texas/Tampa was on ABC. ESPN had the Twins' series. 

Oh right, I got that backwards. That’s right, Tampa and Texas were relegated to the day time slot of death. 

• LOL 1

I'll be watching all 4 games.  It's a lot of baseball, but I'm already going to have the TV on throughout the day.  It's Saturday in the season of Autumn.  Of course, with 12-16 hours of football on both weekend days, I'll be tuning in on Sunday as well.  Can't wait.

BTW, FTW I have Baltimore, Houston, Philadelphia, and Los Angeles in 5, 3, 4, & 4, respectively

• Like 1

Yeah.  I'm guessing FS2, but I think when I briefly saw the schedule, it might've included College Football.

On the other hand, checking on 506, there's nothing scheduled on FS2.

A couple things in response to DMK.  I guess people were soaking up all of the baseball they can get today.  Plus, I sort of wished that they would've started things on Thursday or Friday, adjusting based on how things finish in the WC round.  Oh well.  However, I don't think I'll bet all 4 games ending in a 2-game sweep going forward

3-0 Phillies win. First time Braves have been shut out at home. Big win taking the first one on the road especially beating Strider.

Meanwhile in LA.....Kershaw has given up 5 runs in the first while not recording a out .

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Meanwhile in LA.....Kershaw has given up 5 runs in the first while not recording an out .

Mouth breather got hammered. And booed, hee. (I say got because they just yanked him. Only one out recorded.)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

Will Houston be the only home team to win today?

It's looking that way. Arizona up 8 now. The Dodgers offense is great but this would be a comeback of epic proposition especially since they have got out the first have of Arizona's lineup

3 hours ago, ebk57 said:

It was a lovely day.  We'll win tomorrow.

I honestly thought the Os were going to pull it out in the 8th, when Chapman kept walking everyone. That double play was a back breaker. 😕

I hope they win for you tomorrow.

If this series goes 5 and Verlander pitches the deciding game, the Os have to get to him in the first. Once he gets into a groove, it's tough to score on him.

Go Orioles!

Go Twins!

• Like 2
17 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

What?  Clayton Kershaw completely, totally, and utterly shitting the bed during the playoffs?

It's funny - if you ask people to compare Kershaw to Justin Verlander, I think most would say that Kershaw's a playoff bust while Verlander is the guy.  However, Verlander has a 1-6 record in the WS with a 5.63 ERA.  Kershaw is unquestionably worse in the playoffs, but he has quite a few excellent starts as well.  Perception is always an interesting thing.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

It's funny - if you ask people to compare Kershaw to Justin Verlander, I think most would say that Kershaw's a playoff bust while Verlander is the guy.  However, Verlander has a 1-6 record in the WS with a 5.63 ERA.  Kershaw is unquestionably worse in the playoffs, but he has quite a few excellent starts as well.  Perception is always an interesting thing.

Verlander has shaky WS credit but he’s lights out in the series leading up to it. His overall postseason numbers are good. I think he was the ALCS MVP for one of them. At any rate, him being older, he probably runs out of gas by the time the WS rolls around. Which may not be the case this year, since he didn’t get started until over a month through the season.