Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I am apparently too much of a jinx for even having thoughts, but this is what I was wishing for at the beginning of the postseason and was too afraid to put in writing - Phillies win the NL (so close!), and Baltimore wins the AL, so they have home-field advantage and then the Orioles win the World Series at home in game six.

• Love 1

Happy Barbie Movie GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

This is what I'm feeling now. What a terrible time for the whole team to go cold. If hitting is contagious so apparently is not hitting.Turner and Castellanos killed us..just brutal. It's like they all wanted to be a hero and were swinging at junk way out of the strike zone. instead of just taking pitches and just trying to get balls in play.

This was epic choke job from the manager on down . Kimbrel had no business pitching game 4 when they were up 3 runs after giving up runs in game 3. I get it was basically a bullpen game but you had Walker and Lorenzen who could have pitched multiple innings and nothing. 

Save for Brandon Marsh , Zach Wheeler and some other guys it was like the Atlanta series was so hyped that once the lost that first game in Arizona they could get the vibes back.

I wanted to get to the World Series for Rhys Hoskins who tore his ACL in spring training in his final year of his contract and may have been the last chance for him to play in Phillies uniform. He's been so important to this team since before they signed all these big names and if Harper stays at first and Schwarber stays at DH there's no place for him

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 3
11 hours ago, Carey said:

Texas wins.  To be honest, there's no reason to have this year's World Series take place, period.  Other than money, no need for it.  It's a Rangers series win.  Anything else is just silly.

I remember the Diamondbacks were ranked last of the postseason teams by sport pundits, and now here they are in the World Series.

I'd like to see the Rangers win it, but there's really no telling how things will turn out. Offenses go cold, pitchers get injured, people make boneheaded decisions, etc.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was impressed with the Diamondbacks management of the bullpen. They didn't give up a hit after the 5th and only 2 walks. 

I also liked seeing some bunts and stolen bases too. I think the sac fly for the 4th run came off the stolen base and advancing the runner on a ground out. 

I don't have any rooting interest, but it was a good strategic effort on Arizona. They certainly earned it. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’ll watch, because I can’t not, but I hate them both and hope they both lose.  I seriously cannot root for either of those teams.  I can’t even be happy for Monty because fuck Brian Cashman.

This.  I can't not watch, but I really don't want to.  Maybe Sinkholes R Us will fill my order before it's too late this time. 

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I am apparently too much of a jinx for even having thoughts, but this is what I was wishing for at the beginning of the postseason and was too afraid to put in writing - Phillies win the NL (so close!), and Baltimore wins the AL, so they have home-field advantage and then the Orioles win the World Series at home in game six.

This brought a tear to my eye.  Thanks.

I took off work Friday and Monday because one of those days was going to be game 1 here and I had tickets.  Now I'm getting vaccines on Friday so I can recover over the weekend.  Sigh... 

• Hugs 3
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:
21 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Bryce Harper w/o a World Series ring.

That's the best thing about this upcoming World Series. I was so glad when he left the Nats!

Bryce Harper is Chris Paul of Major League Baseball

3 minutes ago, Carey said:

Bryce Harper is Chris Paul of Major League Baseball

Wasn't Chris Paul the player who punched a player, on an opposing team, in his pelvic area? I can't remember if this took place during his college team days or early pro team days. 

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wasn't Chris Paul the player who punched a player, on an opposing team, in his pelvic area? I can't remember if this took place during his college team days or early pro team days. 

Chris Paul has been a punk since his days at Wake Forest. Now he's on my team. Ugh. 

I haven't paid attention to Harper. Is he a little bitch boy? 

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Chris Paul has been a punk since his days at Wake Forest. Now he's on my team. Ugh. 

Harper was very cocky when he was in DC. He was also quite young while here. A week or so ago he got so angry with the ump that he tore off his helmet and hurled it into the stands. No one got hit, fortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
4 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

In DC? He came across that way as a opposing fan but he hasn't been in Philly. Maybe that was perspective of being on a rival team vs my team but in Philly he has been great from moment he signed here.  He learned a new position this year because it made the team better . He had Tommy John surgery at the end of November and was back with the team in May.  He was good as a DH and the thought was we would be there the rest of the season as he fully recovers but Rhys Hoskins went done in spring training and they were using a variety of players but mainly Alec Bohm at first. By himself learning 1st base it allowed the Phillies to use Schwarber as DH making the outfield defense much better and it allowed Alec Bohm to stay at third. He didn't have to do it he could have stayed as DH and moved back into the outfield next season but it made the team better. 

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Harper was very cocky when he was in DC. He was also quite young while here. A week or so ago he got so angry with the ump that he tore off his helmet and hurled it into the stands. No one got hit, fortunately. 

It was a month ago at the end of the regular season. It was Angel Hernandez and Harper was 100 percent right . It was a terrible call.  A little kid got the helmet and Harper signed it. 

Like you said Harper was young in DC . So maybe it's maturity but he hasn't come across that way in Philly.

Would I rather have heartbreak in the NLCS but have great moments leading up to it and get to watch my  team play deep into October or would I want to have the highest in payroll in baseball not sniff the playoffs and have to watch the two aces that we traded play in the ALCS and the other ace that we didn't sign in the off-season ( I don't blame the Mets for that there's no way I trust DeGroms health) potentially get a World Series ring despite not playing after the first week..month? What a silly queston SNY.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 4

I think he got it during his junior year.  Unless I'm mistaken, people at or very much around the Harper's age would've graduated in 2010 or in 2011 (including Harper himself).  It was borderline.  So by getting his GED in the month he turned 17 he was ahead of schedule and didn't have to wait for over a half year after turning 18.

No big deal.  He was ready at a young age so one has to do whatever is necessary to get to the top

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

When he was in Washington,  he was a douchebag, but he was ours.

He still is only because he signed with Philly.  If he had signed with a team in the AL West or the 4 teams I like in the NL West I wouldn't have had a problem with him.

Another reason I'm glad he's away from DC is, it was Bryce this, Bryce that, like he was the only important player on the team.

From what I remember he wanted to learn 1st base and other bases when he was here, but the Nats Powers that be didn't let him because they didn't want him to get hurt,(more then he had been).

Still not rooting for the DBacks (not rooting for Texas, either, but at least that doesn’t come with extended shots of Luis Gonzalez and Curt Schilling) but I’ll get closer to the Rangers if the manager continues to call people (Chris Russo) assholes.

• Like 1

That's just a thriller. I hope this is the tone for the series. 

I couldn't believe Garcia stole a base in the bottom of the 9th. I liked all the movement on the bases. 

The closer for the Rangers was kind of shaky in the ALCS. Two 3 up and down innings is really solid, but that means he won't be available tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Frank Howard has died.  A large part of my misspent youth is gone.  How can the guys I grew up watching and admiring all be dying now??? 

Not the Washington Monument!!  I grew up watching him, too.   Great player, I'm feeling very old.

Edited by Notabug
  • Hugs 2
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Rangers won the game … but did they really?

At this point in the season, YES. 

BTW, the Rangers won again tonight. Max Scherzer & Adolis Garcia are done for the World Series because of injuries & the Rangers didn't miss a beat without them tonight. Scoring 5 runs each in the 2nd & 3rd inning into a somewhat easy 11-7 victory to go up 3-1. Adolis Garcia's replacement (Travis Jankowski) was a big help tonight by scoring 2 runs on a double. 

Frankly, I wouldn't be somewhat surprised if the Rangers find a way to win Game 5. 

• Applause 1

Well, while I thought either team could win despite leaning toward Texas after a long series, I did pick the Rangers to win in five. Felt like it was one of those years of quick stuff with teams lucky to be here

Like Denver in the NBA, first title for Texas.  Probably would've happened in the NFL if the league was run by people that wanted another dynasty being the go to thing over the best.

Okay, that last sentence was a joke since there was still a lot to play out.

This year's Fall Classic was just meh.  Didn't think it was a nightmare.  However, neither team moved the needle, which is still better than someone else repeating.

Philadelphia would've been awesome, but they don't hand out titles.  You have to earn it

36 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Baseball is over and that makes me sad. 

Less than four months until Spring Training.

So . . . how often will New York baseball fans will get jerked around between now and P&C?

• Like 2

I didn't start watching until the 8th to avoid jinxing the Rangers yet again (kept up with the score via Twitter), but what a great game! My neighborhood in Dallas is celebrating and Arlington had already announced the championship parade is scheduled for Friday. Congrats, Rangers!! My Grammy is smiling down from heaven, she wanted this for so long.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

Proud of my adopted team: after the tears dry, a magical postseason run of demons vanquished (Ryan Braun, Dodgers, CB Park) will be remembered & cherished.  On to next year!

Cheers to Chris Young for this! as a former Member in Good Standing of my hometown Royals, he’ll always be cherished for his balls-to-the-wall relief pitching in the run to the 2015 crown.  Specially, the three shutout innings during the 14-inning Game 1 victory (Chris got the win!).  Such a good man.

• Like 2

I was hoping for the Rangers from the start, mainly because of Jordan Montgomery, but as the series went on I started hoping the Diamondbacks would pull it off.  They seem like a really fun team to watch, with tons of young players that will hopefully be there for awhile.  Kudos to both teams for an enjoyable Series!  It was so nice watching two teams I don't hate squaring off.

I was listening to a podcast the other day, and they were talking about Monty and how much swagger he gained during the post-season.  He had to suffer through the first half of the 2023 Cardinals, including one stretch where our lineup screwed him over again and again with no run support, so it was great to see.  The podcast host commented that we'll never know how much "fire" was lit inside Monty when the Yankees basically said, "you're not good enough for the post-season".  He sure showed them!

The only thing that sucks is that he probably pitched himself into a salary bracket that the Cardinals won't rise to meet to bring him back.  Damn it!  I'd love to see him come back here.  He was just a great fit for the Cards all the way around.

Edited by Jane Tuesday

The Texas Rangers 11 road wins in a row in the Playoffs is just as impressive as their First World Championship. So, congrats to the Rangers & their fans for finally winning it all.

BTW, their victory parade is tomorrow. Hopefully, the parade won't suck.

• Like 3

Did not know the Rangers never won a World Series before.  I'm pretty neutral to them overall as a franchise so yeah I dot mind seeing that result.

Tbh though I did not watch any playoff baseball this year.  While Texas vs Arizona isnt really the ideal World Eries in terms of appeal, I think my main issue is how the game evolved.  The time clock between pitches to speed the game up I like but there is way too much analytics involved IMO.  Like the front offices have an increasing amount of power in the game vs the manager 

• Like 1