Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

34 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I'm an out-of-market Yankees' fan, so I watch the games through MLB.TV.  Yankees/Astros is shown as today's Free Game of the Day. The reason I bring it up is because it's the only Free Game of the Day, which has me a bit ticked off. Every year I've had a subscription, all games during the first week of the season have been free for everyone. (MLB, in the past, has also had all games be free to all in the week after the All-Star Game.) I wonder why they stopped it.

Nitpick, I know, but was looking forward to being able to see some other games this week.

Do you have MLB Network?  Unless you're talking streaming.

41 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ok I’m done for the season.  When’s the Sweet Sixteen start?

I hope you really did dip out on the game early because two GIDPs with the bases loaded is enough to make me want to throw something at my screen. 🤬

31 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Do you have MLB Network?  Unless you're talking streaming.

I don't have MLB Network. I live stream the games.

• Like 1

I napped through a lot of the Mets’ 3-1 loss. One game down, 161 to go.

Oh, and they got one-hit. I hope that’s not a harbinger. I don’t want them trading Alonso to a contender.

• Like 3
On 3/28/2024 at 3:08 PM, ProudMary said:

Every year I've had a subscription, all games during the first week of the season have been free for everyone.

The Extra Innings package on my cable box is free this week. That’s what I’ve seen them do in the past.

2 hours ago, DMK said:

The Extra Innings package on my cable box is free this week. That’s what I’ve seen them do in the past.

Thanks. I'll check again tomorrow. I didn't sign into MLB.tv tonight as the Yankees were on AppleTV+. 🤮

I hope Gleyber's thumb won't be an issue. They claim that the x-rays were negative. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
(edited)
35 minutes ago, smittykins said:

"Significant bone bruise" didn't sound promising, so I can't say I'm shocked to hear this. I'm very disappointed, as D.J. is an important part of the Yankees' line-up, but, as I so often seem to be, I'm angry with Cashman as I wasn't thrilled with the lack of depth in the infield. If Gleyber's thumb becomes an issue, it becomes a huge problem. The Yankees still haven't posted tonight's line-up. If Gleyber can't go, I have no idea who's playing second.

Here's the Yankees' infield from the 40 man roster, plus Cabrera who's listed with the outfielders. There's only one player at Scranton who's on the 40.

FIRE CASHMAN! 

Edited to add: Gleyber's in the lineup. I hope he can be effective. That did not look good last night.

Screenshot_20240330_184724_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edited by ProudMary
See above
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, DMK said:

I just checked my MLB.tv again and the only Free Game of the Day was Mets/Brewers. Very odd that Extra Innings has all the games free this week, but not MLB.tv. 🤔 

Don't know if the Orioles are this good or the Angels bad, but dayum...

9 runs in the 6th before the first out.

Go, O's!

Two routs in two games.  

Hope my excitement doesn't jinx them.

• Like 2

@Johannah I think you're right to be excited, and that's coming from a Yankees' fan. 

I am not a gambler, but I've been looking at the odds on which team will win the World Series, and I'm astonished to see the Orioles down at 5th or 6th most likely to win it all. Dodgers and Braves are firmly 1 &2, Astros and Yankees are 3/4, with the Orioles and Rangers more or less tied at 5th/6th. I just don't see it. I think the Os are the best team in the AL minimally, and could very well win the WS.

At the very least, I think you're going to have a very enjoyable summer!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Does Mike Trout know how to play ball on the easy coast or is only his amazing self in California?

Were you expecting him to go 4/4 with four home runs?  Or to pull an Ohtani and start pitching because I don't think the 24 runs over two games is really his fault.

4 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Were you expecting him to go 4/4 with four home runs?  Or to pull an Ohtani and start pitching because I don't think the 24 runs over two games is really his fault.

No not really, I'm an O's fan.  But all these people talk about how great he is, but he never seems to showcase it on the East Coast.  I just want to what every one on the West Coast sees in my time zone.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, baldryanr said:

You can see his splits by stadium here

Small sample size and all that, but the place where he really sucks is Philly. 

Which is funny because that's probably were the biggest crowds are to see him play in a away game since he's from so close to there. And also there's a relatively large part of the Phillies fan base that is clamoring for him to go to the Phillies.

ESPN has played the Angels radio announcer a lot because it was a highlight whenever Shohei sneezed, so I’ve been hearing him for a few years.  But this year he sounds so sad.  I know it was a tough opening weekend for the team, but that poor guy just sounds despondent.

Any day now, MLB will be releasing the results of their bogus investigation into "Shoeless Sho" Ohtani'.   It won't be hard to cover-up.  Just follow the NBA's script when they made Tim Donaghy the fall guy, when it was  obvious other referees were involved.  😲

• Like 1

First no-hitter of the new season. I'll bet the Astros' bullpen was delighted for the night off because the Yankees' offense ran roughshod over them for the last four days!

In 8th MLB start, Astros righty Ronel Blanco fires 1st no-no of '24

HOUSTON -- Ronel Blanco, who wouldn’t have been in the Astros’ rotation to begin the year had it not been for injuries to Justin Verlander and José Urquidy, tossed the 17th no-hitter in franchise history by dominating the Blue Jays at Minute Maid Park on Monday night.

Blanco, a 30-year-old Dominican who was moved to the rotation last spring, retired 26 in a row between walks to George Springer in the first and ninth innings in the Astros’ 10-0 win -- their first victory of the season. It was also the first career win for Houston manager Joe Espada -- one he certainly won’t forget.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Another one? What does Houston feed those pitchers to get so many no hitters out of them? I swear they throw one or two a year lately.

• Like 1

Sacramento used to be the A:s AAA base. I imagine there are still some diehard fans up that way. 

Fuck what's his name and fuck the city of Oakland. They've lost 3 pro teams in less than 5 years. 

• Like 4

Everything about the Oakland disaster is sad.  Too bad the city couldn’t buy the team and have public shareholders like Green Bay.

• Like 5

Nothing as cathartic as going thirteen innings without a hit, staring down the prospect of getting one-hit again and losing six games to start the season . . . and then to come back with two runs in the ninth inning.

If the weather was better, I would have at least thought about going. Single-admission doubleheader for the win. But it was too cold, I had stuff to do, and the Mets make it so hard to root for them. Well, at least before the ninth inning in game two.

• Like 2

Have you Met fans seen Jomboy’s deep dive on the Mets base running where he realized that they’ve seemingly made an organizational choice to not try to contest double play balls? It’s baffling. 

Johnny Lasagna is on the 60 day IL.  I swear all pitchers need to not move between starts/relief appearances from the end of the season to spring training.

• Sad 2

What the fuck.  Stroman is pitching a gem in his home debut so of course Boone pulls him and of course the next pitcher gives up a homer on like his first pitch.

On an unrelated note the gentleman who sang the national anthem was fantastic.

23 hours ago, mojoween said:

Everything about the Oakland disaster is sad.  Too bad the city couldn’t buy the team and have public shareholders like Green Bay.

Amazing:  the As were outstanding in the 70s with several world series titles.
Then they achieved notoriety with Billy Beane and the statistical analytic approach to building the team (resulting in no title runs).  Oh well.

I guess MLB has the money to where teams will dress in uniforms to the point where I'd have no idea who was playing until I read the preview for the game

• Like 3

I don't hate the city connects as much as I thought when the jersey leaked earlier this year. They look better as a whole uniform . The font is not great even though I get what they were going for and they need to fix the numbers because Trea Turner's 7 looks like a question mark . The hat is my favorite part of uniform. 

In other baseball news...

sucks for Bieber and I hope Strider isn't following that path.

• Like 1

Anyone who complains about pitchers not going deeply enough into games can look at Bieber, Strider, Cole, etc. as why.  It's just too easy for them to blow their arm these days.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Pretty sure last night the full-throated Yankees crowd was chanting “fuck the Blue Jays” during a time when Michael Kay was letting the game breathe.  Methinks some fines are heading YES’s way.