Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Quote from Ian Kinsler on the US team (or, what I like to call "Why I decided to root for Puerto Rico tonight"):

I hope kids watching the W.B.C. can watch the way we play the game and appreciate the way we play the game as opposed to the way Puerto Rico plays or the Dominican plays. That’s not taking anything away from them. That just wasn’t the way we were raised. They were raised differently and to show emotion and passion when you play. We do show emotion; we do show passion. But we just do it in a different way

• Love 2

That's super insufferable . Kinsler just should have said "We play baseball the right way" Shut up Ian. 

In sadder news Dallas Green has passed away. He managed the Phillies to their first World series in their  97 year history. He spent is later years serving as a advisor to the Phillies the team he grew up rooting for where he grew up in Delaware. He also managed both the Yankees and Mets. He was GM of the Cubs and helped bring lights to Wrigley.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-phillies/appreciation-dallas-green-great-baseball-man-1934-2017

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18979149

Edited by shoregirl

Ian Kinsler hit a two run dinger so I guess he showed them.

That you can be an asshole and also good at baseball.

And also if you show passion and emotion and they show passion and emotion why is yours better?

• Love 6

Well, now I'm just annoyed that Kinsler has made me annoyed about the US win, when I would have just said "that's nice, good for them" otherwise. I'm happy for the other guys on the team, I hate that his internal narrative has probably hardened.

Edited by pennben

I think that was about Puerto Rico being kind of obnoxious? I thought they had been and snorted when I saw Kinsler's comments. I think he should've kept his mouth shut, but I get it. Apparently, they were giving Marcus Stroman a hard time over choosing to play for the USA team even though he was eligible for  Puerto Rico, which is why Stroman had a bit of an attitude going during the game.

I was up past midnight (central) time watching that game and now I'm already up to go to work. It's going to be a long day. I just started trying to quit Diet Cokes and hadn't had one for over two days. Sigh.

139rxc.jpg

• Love 2

Oh, screw Ian Kinsler.

As a Jays fan I was extremely proud of Stroman.

Yeah, Puerto Rico, they're such poor sports!  Um, except they're NOT, as they were the classiest, sweetest losers of all time.  Staying on the field and smiling, tipping their caps, and applauding the American flag after their (I admit it - embarrassing) loss, was just wonderful.  

Stroman would never disagree with people showing passion on the field.  He's been criticized for it (and that criticism I disagree with).  However yeah the rumour mill is saying some PR guys went after his mothers' PR heritage, I don't know the truth and frankly I don't care, and that's a totally different thing.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I thought Kinsler's comment was directed more towards the media, and some fans, who were criticizing the American Team's supposed lack of passion and enthusiasm.  Much has been made about all the big-name players who opted not to play, and how the American players don't care about winning the WBC.  I think he was just saying that just because their demeanor is different doesn't mean they (the players that chose to play on the team, anyway) don't care as much.  Which is a fair point. 

• Love 1

That is reading a whole lot into what was actually said and making up an interpretation.

The truth of the matter is he compared the way he was supposedly raised to how two Latin countries raise their men and said he hoped children would emulate his example rather than theirs.

If Kinsler was upset at the media or the fans then he should have said so instead of creating a scapegoat.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

All interpretations are made up by the people doing the interpreting.  That's why two people can read the same thing and get two different meanings.  

I am not someone to jump up and down, yell and scream or cry and curse.  It just isn't in my nature.  It doesn't mean I feel things less than others, it's just the way I am.  

Kinsler said that he wasn't trying to take anything away from the way the DR or PR plays.  I take him at his word -  a courtesy I extend to everyone unless they prove to be undeserving.

• Love 2

Spring training has been a blast so far! It's nice to be able to literally be so close to the players. Yesterday's Giants game was a blast- we were able to stand so close to MadBum during warmups and Posey saw the birthday sign we made for him and waved. Plus a 14-2 win always helps. Today I have to go to the Cubs stadium to watch the Giants play, let's see how the fans are haha. At least the Cubs lost to the Indians yesterday. 

• Love 2

Can't make the Army game. Something came up. I'll have to pay a lot to see the Mets up-close. Still thinking on trying to snag a Matt Harvey gnome. The Syndegaard/Thor bobblehead promotion will probably make Citi Field a madhouse. I'd probably be better off vying for a Syndegaard "hair hat."

Today's game against the Cubs was awesome!! Got a baseball from the bullpen, got an autograph from Hunter Pence, another baseball signed by Gaylord Perry, and the Giants came from behind in the 9th inning to win it! Sucks for the Cubs fans who left early thinking they were going to win. Spring training was way fun overall. Highly recommend it if you haven't been.

• Love 7

I just got back from a long weekend in Las Vegas to watch a weekend series between Cubs-Reds. It was a fantastic time and great roadtrip. Apparently the Mets minor league team in Vegas hosts a major league weekend each year during spring training. All I can say is if your team is ever part of it....go!!  You get two day games and all the fun of a weekend in Vegas.

fun fact I learned, the Mets minor league team there are known as the 51s, apparently they are named after Area 51. I love that the caps they sell feature an alien on them...had to pick one up in appreciation. 

• Love 2

I'm tickled that the Mets will be facing the Braves, and they gotta face Bartolo in the second game. It's gonna be a day of mixed feelings at Citi Field.

Any early reviews about Boondoggle Ballpark in Cobblanta?

Brock Stassi made the Phillies opening day roster. He was a 33 round pick in 2011 and not really expected to make the team at the start of the season. He was very emotional about making the team.

• Love 4

No he was optioned to triple a a couple days ago. They want him to get more at bats and with Michael Saunders, Howie Kendrick and Obdubel Herrera it wasn't going to happen but I expect we will see him sometime this year. The Phillies have a lot of prospects in the outfield that are a season or two away.

18 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Rougned Odor's new deal is $49.5 million.  And two horses.

That sure doesn't stink! [rim shot] Well, maybe the horses' stalls do.

The most recent Real Sports ep had a profile of Rick Ankiel and his yips (he has a new book to flog), and some coverage of Matt Bush, yet another substance abuser who gets yet another chance to play in the bigs, even after serving time. Crime doesn't pay, kids, unless you can throw 94 mph! (Why, yes, I'm cynical about these stories, what makes you ask?)

• Love 2

(This photo is from a couple of years ago, but it's new to me.)

I knew that newly named Yankee right fielder Aaron Judge was a big guy, but had no idea how big until I saw this.

B_b47_dWQAAqoHP.0.jpg

That's Ryan Howard (who I used to think was huge) standing next to him on first.

(Apply the transitive property, this is Howard standing next to Jimmy Rollins.)

2.jpg

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Did Roman Quinn make the Phillies' opening day roster?  I saw him in a spring game a couple of years ago and was very impressed, and SI's baseball preview issue was pretty much touting him as one to watch.

I can't wait until Roman Quinn makes it to the majors!   He reminds me of that old Gary Maddox quote, "Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Garry Maddox."

(edited)

I am cautiously optimistic about this NYY season and glad that they are giving Aaron Judge most of the playing time without having him feel like he's under the gun. They will allow him to go through tough times.

But I'll be damned if Big Mike continues to walkabout on the mound. It's his walk year and he has to pretty much dominate or the Yanks will not sign him as a F.A.  He should be the ace or the #2 with the stuff he has. It's like he relaxes when he gets to 2 strikes. A pro like McCann couldn't guide him nor can Sanchez who seems to have a good grasp on his pitchers' stuff. It's ridiculous!

Maybe he'll wind up in the Land of Misfit Yankees aka the Pittsburgh Pirates. That is not an insult to P'burgh but they had/have AJ Burnett, Cervelli (whom I love and miss) and Nova (happy fo him) and they have flourished. He can be great if he chooses.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1

So, here we go!! Tomorrow night (I guess, technically, tonight), my Cubs open the season in St. Louis.  For the record, I root for the Cardinals when they aren't playing the Cubs.  But......I'm going to enjoy that they announce The World Series Champion Chicago Cubs for the first time in a regular season game (that I've been alive for) in St. Louis!!!:) 

As for this season, it's a new feeling, but as it stands now, I feel like 'whatever happens, happens...it's all good'! There is a weight lifted in cheering for this team that is welcome (a relief), but that I am equally sure is fleeting. I'm guessing I'll be grousing soon.

Play ball!

• Love 2
(edited)

I am so excited for tonight. The idea of Cardinal fans having to swallow the fact that their biggest rival are coming to their ballpark tonight, not as the infamous Lovable Losers, but as the reigning World Series Champions, warms the darkest areas of my heart. That's right Cardinal Nation: Deal with it.

Eamus Catuli!

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

First piiiiiiiitch!  Haha just kidding we're having a problem with our equipment.

Ok now Archer deals and Gardner takes low and the season is off and running.  Let's all gather together and make the long haul to see who comes out on top in November shall we?

On another note, I hate that matte batting helmets are now a thing.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, xaxat said:

It should be against the law to have opening day games in domed stadiums (or with a roof closed).

I said the same thing!  Michael was talking about what a beautiful day it was and I'm like how do you know?  You can't see it from your spot under the roof.

3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Opening Day in Phoenix today then tomorrow, so as not to interfere with the NCAA basketball finals.  Weird scheduling.

Back in the olden days, a team would open and always have the next day off.  I always thought it was in case there was weather.  I never looked into it, but that was my theory.  Now, since the Reds no longer start first, everything is random.  

Now, get off my lawn.

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved that Chris Archer had a good game today.

I'm glad the Rays won today, because anytime the Yankees lose it's a wonderful sunshiny day.  (Which technically it is in Central FL)

Also I love the new turf in Tropicana Field, plus I believe new lighting.  Makes it look like a real baseball field now.

Edited by jennifer6973
wanted to add something
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Madbum is the reason why the DH is not needed in the NL, our pitchers (for the most part) can hit.

Some would say he is the exception to the rule. Two dingers is not normal for a pitcher.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

Also I love the new turf in Tropicana Field, plus I believe new lighting.  Makes it look like a real baseball field now.

That turf could play a part in Duffy's delay in getting better since it may have contributed to his soreness when he tried to start playing again before he had his surgery last fall. I'm just bitter that he got injured while playing at Tropicana Field in the first place and if he hadn't been on the DL for awhile last season, then maybe the Giants would have thought harder about trading him to the team with the field that broke him. But hey, any time now that the Rays win, I'll be happy for them on behalf of Duffman. Unless they're playing against the Giants, of course.

Overheard in New York:

Random Atlanta Brave: Oh, wow! Madison Bumgarner him TWO home runs on Opening Day! He's the first pitcher to pull that! I wonder . . . has a pitcher ever hit three homers in a game?

Bartolo Colon: Hold my Value Meal . . .

• Love 3