Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I had a cat on my lap and I scared it with my cheering on that walk off.

The Colombian center fielder was awesome. So much that I was chiding the US players because they kept hitting it near him. He got almost every single one of them.

If you ever have any time to kill for awhile, there's three great videos of the winning moment in each ALCS, NLCS, and World Series during the division era that someone (well, actually, a Royals fan--they had originally made these the year before when KC got their title, then updated them for the Cubs) made a few months ago, from 1995 up to the Cubs win in November.

Edited by UYI

Thanks for posting those! My personal favorite is the 2014 NLCS win against the Cardinals. When Ishikawa hit that homer in the 9th, I'm pretty sure that was one of the happiest moments of my entire life. Still gives me chills thinking about it.

• Love 1

Last night I was mad at Manny Machado and wanted to hug Tanner Roark.

Today I'm back to being cool with him and oh look who showed up to hang with the DR team in the dugout Big Papi.

Note to Jeffrey Loria, if you want to sell out Marlins Stadium, have them play the Dominican Republic for 162 games.

• Love 3

Joni Sledge from Sister Sledge died yesterday.

I mention this here because We Are Family served as the World Series winning 1979 Pirates theme song that year.  There are few songs, if any, that I associate with a team's single season than the 79 Pirates and We Are Family.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Joni Sledge from Sister Sledge died yesterday.

I mention this here because We Are Family served as the World Series winning 1979 Pirates theme song that year.  There are few songs, if any, that I associate with a team's single season than the 79 Pirates and We Are Family.

As much as I shouldn't, I still like the song.  I'd rather just forget the context.

RIP Joni

I have roots in both the DR and PR but I can't wait for them both to be eliminated so they can play baseball that  actually counts. Same for USA. Stay healthy and get your butts back home.

I am sure it's an unpopular opinion but it's how I feel. 

Re NYY and their hair policy, I am totally fine with it. If they did relax the rule I would want  them to stick to hair above the collar (Clint's hair was technically within that) and beards could not be that stupid lumberjack/caveman bullshit.  Only very close cropped. I am all for free expression but many jobs have rules/standards/dress codes and employees abide by them like it or not. 

• Love 2

Had great fun at the spring training game on Saturday even if I got burnt to a crisp.  There's a reason sunscreen should be worn and the bottle of it should not be in a pocket as outta sight, outta mind.

Braves and Cardinals played to a 2 - 2 tie.  The Braves had a 2 - 1 lead going into the bottom of the ninth when they put a young pitcher with a very high jersey number on the mound and while he had decent stuff he allowed a base runner and then made a terrible pick off throw to first that allowed said runner to advance and eventually score the tying run.

Fans from both teams were present and everyone behaved.  We talked to an adorable retired couple from the St. Louis area who were in town for a week to take in spring games, and I love that about baseball.

• Love 6

I keep seeing some baseball fans saying the World Baseball Classic doesn't matter or count. If there's anything that's been obvious in watching these games, it's that it DOES count. Watch the guys playing, pay attention to the crowd (especially the games in Miami, or whenever the host team is playing), see the joy and the passion and the excitement. These games may count differently than an MLB season game where the goal is to win a World Series, but these games certainly do count for something. 

I get and understand worrying about a favorite team's players playing the WBC. I greatly enjoy the WBC and I still worry, not just about my two favorites in the tournament but ANYONE, because no one wants to see a great player be injured, period, no matter where or how. But these games have been awesome. Dramatic, exciting, tense and full of a love of baseball and an illustration of how it's played, viewed and celebrated beyond MLB. I think that's awesome. I'd love to see MLB games take on a little more of this more often. Celebration is good, joy is good, the WBC is good, baseball is good.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Still wondering if any Mets fans here would be open to meeting up.

I doubt I'll be in town for either of those games, but I should be up a couple of times this summer.  If the Mets are home and I'm available, I'll give you a shout.

They can count to whomever wants it to count. I think its a waste but I'm obviously not the person they need to reach. I'm just past all the hoopla as I don't consider myself a die hard fan anymore. Not even of my Yankees. They are the only team I really care about but I don't feel like it's the end of the world if they should win less than 80 games. Yes, I am older (58) than when I was a crazy assed Fab Five/Core Four fan. I try to stay aware of what's going on. I hope everyone enjoys the WBC.  

I definitely won't be there for either of the games mentioned, but I will be up at the end of August.  If the Mets are home and I don't have theatre tickets (or I'm not going to see tennis), I'm up for a game.  

I'm always up for a game!

Leaving Friday for St Pete!!  We have tickets to the game in Clearwater on Saturday, Sarasota on Sunday, and Dunedin on Monday.  Going to Bern's for our anniversary Monday evening.  The only possible change would be if the Terps somehow win a game on Thursday in Orlando, we may see if we can get tickets to see them on Saturday.  I'd eat the Phillies tickets if need be for that.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

5 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I'm always up for a game!

You know that viral video this past weekend, of the little kid barging into the bedroom while the Dad was live-skyping on BBC news? That's how I picture ebk gallantly barging in as "I'm always up for a game!" ("especially with a Thor bobblehead at stake" being the underlying theme.)

PS- Happy Anniversary next week!

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Leaving Friday for St Pete!!  We have tickets to the game in Clearwater on Saturday, Sarasota on Sunday, and Dunedin on Monday.  Going to Bern's for our anniversary Monday evening.  The only possible change would be if the Terps somehow win a game on Thursday in Orlando, we may see if we can get tickets to see them on Saturday.

Expect seriously glorious weather this weekend, at least in the Orlando area.  I wish I could attend the NCAA games on Saturday but I have prior plans, and of course Thursday is out since that thing called work gets in the way.

Bern's.  Yum.  I only went there once and it was with my ex-husband yet it's still a fond memory.

• Love 2

Aim, those fellas sure are good at their jobs. Goosebumps over here. (I am acquainted with somebody who knows Jackson, and whenever I see them, I tug on their sleeves begging for an intro. Hasn't worked yet. It can't be that I'm coming off as too desperate, right? That couldn't be it...)

• Love 2

Hope everyone affected by the East Coast storm is safe and warm.  The roads in my county are closed until further notice, and 3 of the 4 school districts have already canceled classes for tomorrow.

My county has not banned travel but strongly discouraged it.  It was interesting watching the crawl at the bottom of "This is Us" because I've never seen it with company closings before.  One of the cons of work from home - no snow days!

NYC didn't get as much as they thought but I would have still liked to have seen baseball games played in that weather.

Greetings from sunny, warm St Pete!  Italian food tonight, then baseball tomorrow!!!  Pirates at Phillies in Clearwater - the stadium with the best beer selection here! 

• Love 6

Game yesterday - Pirates 13, Phils 8, 3 1/2 hours.  But... it's baseball!! 

Hoping for a better game today in Sarasota (Os vs Tigers).  

The weather is stunningly beautiful.  The food has been pretty good so far, too. 

• Love 2

So Adam Jones has bragging rights over Manny Machado for the forseeable future after last night's game.

Awsomesauce.

So would it be wrong for me to want Puerto Rico and the United States in the final, just so I can say go team United States Citizens.

• Love 5

I am hoping for Puerto Rico vs. USA too. The Puerto Rican team is probably my favorite overall team, they are just so into it and having a great time, great camaraderie, lots of amazing players. But Team USA is putting up a fight this year and two of my most favorite ballplayers are on the team (Buster Posey and Brandon Crawford) and I'm rooting for them to keep doing well too! The Netherlands team is a lot of fun too, though I just saw that Didi is hurt! Which takes some of the fun out. 

• Love 1

Update on DiDi...it's not just a bruised shoulder. He has a hematoma in a muscle in his right shoulder. His throwing arm. I am pissed off! He is probably my favorite Yankee now and this hurts me. 

He is getting a second MRI on Tues.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 2

I went to West Palm Beach this weekend, caught an Astros pre-season game, got a VIP tour of their new facility, saw lots of the players all up close while they had their pre-game practices. I was so close to AJ Hinch, I could've reached out and patted him on the back while I passed him. And Craig Biggio was there. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, prican58 said:

"He is getting a second MRI."

6 of the scariest words to a baseball player!  Right up there with "Randy Johnson is the starting pitcher" several years ago. (Or better yet replace Randy with Pedro Martinez, 1999-2003)

• Love 1