Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

John Scherholz (sp) of the Braves and Bud Selig were voted into the Hall Of Fame by the Today's game committee (formerly the Veterans Committee)

and

The Yankees signed Matt Holliday of the Cardinals to a 1 year contract for $13 million.

22 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

which will make the Blue Jays his 4 AL East team.

As long as he doesn't make it to the 5th AL East team.

So Matt Holliday's a Yankee huh?

I just read a rumor that Melancon is heading to the Giants. I swear relievers are weird. In his stint on the RedSox I didn't think much of him. Now he's potentially gonna get $60mil.  Go figure.

John Scherholz (sp)

I have to admit when I read this I was like - John was a starting pitcher? How come I don't know the name? (and then I finished reading that post)

Edited by King of Birds

Considering the Pirates were the ones to offer him out, I think that might be part of it

Last I heard the Nationals and Dodgers were in on him and Ken Rosenthal (I think) said the Rangers are out there looking at him also.

Edited by jennifer6973

For those interested in the World Baseball Classic, here are the MLB players and what teams they are playing for as of now:

US: Chris Archer, Nolan Arenado, Adam Jones, Andrew McCutchen,Buster Posey, Max Scherzer

Canada: Russell Martin

Mexico: Adrian Gonzalez, Oliver Perez,Roberto Osuna

Puerto Rico:  Javier Baez, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Correa,Francisco Lindor, Yadier Molina

Venezuela: Jose Altuve, Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Gonzalez,Felix Hernandez, Salvador Perez

Netherlands:  Xander Bogaerts, Jonathan Schoop, Andrelton Simmons

Dominican Republic:  Adrian Beltre, Dellin Betances, Robinson Cano, Nelson Cruz, Manny Machado

Colombia:  Jose Quintana, Julio Teheran

I think this is just in the bracket where the US is playing in.

Edited by jennifer6973

So,  this another year when Marvin Miller didn't make the HOF.

Seriously, what the Hell is going on here? Miller was one of the most important figures in the history of professional team sports. And I think most of the owners/players/writers who may have had a personal gripe against him are dead now. Like Miller.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

For those interested in the World Baseball Classic, here are the MLB players and what teams they are playing for as of now:

US: Chris Archer, Nolan Arenado, Adam Jones, Andrew McCutchen,Buster Posey, Max Scherzer

Canada: Russell Martin

Mexico: Adrian Gonzalez, Oliver Perez,Roberto Osuna

Puerto Rico:  Javier Baez, Carlos Beltran, Carlos Correa,Francisco Lindor, Yadier Molina

Venezuela: Jose Altuve, Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Gonzalez,Felix Hernandez, Salvador Perez

Netherlands:  Xander Bogaerts, Jonathan Schoop, Andrelton Simmons

Dominican Republic:  Adrian Beltre, Dellin Betances, Robinson Cano, Nelson Cruz, Manny Machado

Colombia:  Jose Quintana, Julio Teheran

I think this is just in the bracket where the US is playing in.

There are four pools, with four teams each. I believe US is in with DR, Canada and Colombia.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

So,  this another year when Marvin Miller didn't make the HOF.

Seriously, what the Hell is going on here? Miller was one of the most important figures in the history of professional team sports. And I think most of the owners/players/writers who may have had a personal gripe against him are dead now. Like Miller.

Another year without Buck O'Neil as well.

• Love 1

re: HOF voting by what was formerly the Veteran's Committee is bow broken up into eras, and the era they were voting on was from 1989 to present.

-----------------------------------------

I'm beginning to think Scott Boras and Bryce Harper are the equivalent of Horshak on Welcome Back Kotter.  They see that they aren't getting attention, so they raise their hands and go Ooh, Ooh Ooh, look at me look at me

Edited by jennifer6973
to moan about something
  • Love 3

Damnit Rich Hill.
Glad he's been able to get such a contract after the RedSox took a flyer on him at the end of 2015. Good for him.

And- Sox exercise option on John Farrell. There's a guy who won't last his whole contract.

7 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Is Rizzo playing for Italy again this coming WBC?

Only if Kenickie makes the team.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

Wow, they traded Dubon & Shaw. I guess Panda is gonna play a lot of 3B in 2017. God help us.

Saw a recent pic of him and he looks great! I'll always root for him, I think he has a good chance of a bounceback season.

• Love 1

Seems the Red Sox have been busy today Ken Rosenthal is reporting Mitch Moreland signed with them. 

In Nationals News (or former Nationals anyway):

Wilson Ramos signed a 2 year deal with the Tampa Bay Rays, pending a physical.  

Edited by jennifer6973

Washington is pretty much going all in on Cutch.  While his exit from Pittsburgh won't be a shocker, I don't know or think it's necessarily to the Nats.  Somehow they'll fall short on that one, but who knows

Although I'd hate to see Cutch leave Pittsburgh (or it's really the other way around, I guess) I'd be happy with the Nats.  Basically I hope he stays in the NL and preferably an east coast team so I can still see him during spring training :)

ETA:  Here's an excellent read regarding Cutch and team loyalty.

Ian Desmond signed with the Rockies for 5 years $70 million he will play 1st base and OF. The Rockies have 6th year option for $13 million. Since Ian was given a QO the Rockies have to give up the 11th pick in the draft.

Now there is speculation that Charlie Blackmon may be traded.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I was hearing on twitter that the Yankees want to trade Brett Gardner.

Edited by jennifer6973

Fernando Rodney signed with the Diamondbacks for 1 year I believe

The White Sox traded Adam Eaton to the Nationals for Lucas Giolito(wah :-( loved him)  Reynaldo Lopez and Dane Dunning.

Oh and Dan Duquette told Jose Bautista's people that they wouldn't offer JB a deal because the O's fans don't like him.

@morriss

You just got a pretty good closer, who never gave me an ulcer in the short time he was with the team.

Edited by jennifer6973
(edited)

I'm surprised he decided to return.  I figured becoming a word champion in Chicago would make him want to stay(although the Cubs may not have been willing to pay him what he was asking).

Edited by smittykins

I’ll probably root against Chapman before rooting for Chapman.  And the big reason is that he was the enemy. Well, one of them.  His side story out of baseball last year was not good.  I’m not going to have a problem if someone would have to root against a team based on his involvement with said team, but only if they are the victims or can relate.

If I was in that category, I probably would be like those folks, but that’s not a total given.  At the end of the day I’d root for the team to just win; whatever happens outside of that I could care less (example would be with my football team).  I just would never turn on a team over a player.  It’s business

With Dexter Fowler, new team, but same hate for Cincy and Pittsburgh

Well, Bobby did work in Japan. And that's all I'll say.

Watching Mets Insider on SNY. The episode is about rivalries and villains. They showed the game I visited, where Thor got run out of the game for throwing behind Chase Utley . . . and I'm pissed all over again. That pitch was at least a foot behind Utley. It wasn't near his ass. Unless the umpires warned both teams to not do shit, I say they blew it. And then Terry got run out for arguing. And then that leg-breaking motherfucker hit a grand slam. So pissed off.

• Love 1

Former MLB pitcher becomes police officer

A former Major League Baseball pitcher has hung up his jersey and become a police officer.  Anthony Varvaro graduated from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police academy on Friday.  He was a relief pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves and Seattle Mariners from 2010 to 2015. He went 7-9 in six seasons before an arm injury sidelined him for most of 2015.  The 32-year-old from New York graduated in a ceremony in Elizabeth along with 79 others.

Port Authority PD covers the NYC area airports (JFK, LaGuardia, Newark), bridges and tunnels between NY and NJ, as well as other facilities in the metro area - they had primary patrol duties at the World Trade Center, for instance, and lost 37 officers on 9/11.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 3