Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

I thought you promised not to show up in this thread til Spring?

postseason schedule  BTW What's the Esurance MLB Award?  Is this approximately the "Golden Globe" vs Oscar type of award?

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 4.18.43 PM.png

The MLB Esurance awards were done last year and they consist of fan voting on MLB.com.  I think the voting is closed now.

It consists of best pitcher, best play best fan catch or moment.

It's more or less the People's Choice award for MLB.

• Love 2

LOTS of first time Gold-Glovers!

Catcher
NL: Buster Posey, Giants (1st Gold Glove)  
AL: Salvador Perez, Royals (4th Gold Glove)

First base
NL: Anthony Rizzo, Cubs (1st Gold Glove)
AL: Mitch Moreland, Rangers (1st Gold Glove)

Second base
NL: Joe Panik, Giants (1st Gold Glove)
AL: Ian Kinsler, Tigers (1st Gold Glove)

Third base
NL: Nolan Arenado, Rockies (4th Gold Glove) 
AL: Adrian Beltre, Rangers (5th Gold Glove) 

Shortstop
NL: Brandon Crawford, Giants (2nd Gold Glove) 
AL: Francisco Lindor, Indians (1st Gold Glove) 

Left field
NL: Starling Marte, Pirates (2nd Gold Glove)  
AL: Brett Gardner, Yankees (1st Gold Glove) 

Center field
NL: Ender Inciarte, Braves (1st Gold Glove)
AL: Kevin Kiermaier, Rays (2nd Gold Glove) 

Right field
NL: Jason Heyward, Cubs (4th Gold Glove)
AL: Mookie Betts, Red Sox (1st Gold Glove) 

Pitcher
NL: Zack Greinke, D-backs (3rd Gold Glove) 
AL: Dallas Keuchel, Astros (3rd Gold Glove)

Thrilled for Mookie. Really happy for Adrian getting #5, Crawford/ Lindor is spot on, and kinda surprised by Gardner in LF, but I didn't pay much attention to Yankee OFers. Glad to see the batch of first-timers.

• Love 2
On 11/2/2016 at 5:21 PM, kariyaki said:

Houston isn't in the National League anymore, they and Texas are both American League, so no. If Cleveland wins, the Rangers get to carry the Longest Drought mantle.

ACK!  You're right.  I keep forgetting that as it's so, so wrong on a deep and metaphysical level. 

On 11/2/2016 at 5:34 PM, Lantern7 said:

Houston has the longest MLB drought for a city, because the Rangers were originally the second version of the Washington Senators. I still insist that the Mets are "second-tier jinxed" despite their two titles.

Good point if we want to look at it that way.  So, I just dug into it, and it appears that the longest drought for a current National League team is now tied between the Seattle Pilots Milwaukee Brewers, Montreal Expos Washington Nationals, and San Diego Padres, who all started play on April 8, 1970.  The Pilots moved to Milwaukee the following year, 2 years ahead of the Senators moving to Arlington.

Buster finally get his Gold Glove! The Yadi reign sure did last a long time. Super happy for Crawford and Panik, who are just delightful to watch and a fantastic double play combo. Pretty cool that the Giants won three! Good crop of winners there, I'm excited to see so many first time winners.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

ACK!  You're right.  I keep forgetting that as it's so, so wrong on a deep and metaphysical level.

Astros changing to American League ended up being very good for them and the Rangers. Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth have a pretty healthy rivalry and with the teams being in separate leagues, they rarely played each other. Now not only are they in the same league, they're in the same division and play a lot. The cities' close proximity supports easy travel to an away game. Subsequently, the games in both fields are always packed, often sold out. 

• Love 1

I'm happy for Brett Gardner.  Nice that he is acknowledged for something other than speedy feet.

I know this is old news but I thought for sure Miller was going to receive the Mo Award.  Britton was that good all year?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Britton was that good all year?

Oh yes.

Britton pitched in 69 games, throwing 67 innings while allowing only four earned runs for a 0.54 ERA. This broke the MLB record for lowest single-season ERA by a pitcher with at least 50 innings pitched. He finished with 74 strikeouts and just an 0.84 WHIP, going 2-1 and saving all 47 save opportunities he faced. From the beginning of May to the end of the regular season, Britton pitched to an 0.16 ERA, holding hitters to a .160/.222/.195 slash.

Britton led the American League in Saves (47), Games Finished (63) and WPA (6.5).

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Hey guys, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and won't return home until the 20th, and chances are I won't be online at all during this time so don't think I've fallen off the cliff.

Have fun!! We'll still be here when you get back.

I hope..............

34 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

And don't worry aim, we'll at least run the broom at least once along the floor and clean up 'round here.

Let's not get crazy now.  Clean??

• Love 2

Live with Kelly! THANK YOU. One of my east coast friends was live-tweeting about ARod this morning and I'm reading while walking my dog and going "WTF is she going on about?"

BTW I said nothing about ME on the broom.   Wait hold on. Oh yeah I did. Well if I bring my roomba in here that might be too thorough and it might delete certain people's posts.

9 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I'm at home watching 'Live With Kelly' and Alex Rodriguez is her co-host today and he waxed poetic about the 1984 World Series between the Cardinals and Royals.  Umm, oops.

Wow.  Guess I'll have to get busy with the white-out.

Congrats to my Salvy on GG4!!!  I think the injury time out hurt Gordon's chances.  I won't comment on the trashing Hoz got in certain circles, but I suspect that had something to do with not-this-year.  Don't worry EH; Moose will be back in the spring and the Dynamic Duo will be putting on a clinic.

We are now at the point where athletes' careers can last longer than stadiums. Colon and the old Turner Field both debuted in 1997.

ETA, It was first used by the Braves in 1997. It actually debuted in 1996, the Olympics.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I am not sure I want to watch Bartolo Colon batting and trying to run the bases.

Back when he first came up with the Indians,  Mike Hargrove used to make him ride a pink bike around the Spring Training field 'cause he'd always report overweight.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

So are the Blue Jays going to offer Joey Bats more money, or is he going to split?  I think he would look so good in pinstripes.  

Hell why not Trumbo and Encarnacion too!  Open that wallet, Hank.

The only trouble with that is that they have to want to come here.  They're free agents, the ball's in their court.

I think both Bautista and Encarnacion are gone. EE hurts the most but if he has to go somewhere, I'm good with it being the Astros.

Sorry mojoween, but NY and Chicago are the two places I definitely don't want to see him go.

Bautista- whatever.

Yeah I miss baseball. I have an mlb subscription that still has all the games archives. Was thinking of watching condensed versions of some of the games I missed. I feel like I have an addiction.

• Love 1

Too bad she was in Rome, otherwise she could have watched MLB Network and they would have told her who didn't have him on the ballot.

In case anyone was wondering they were:

Fred Goodall from AP-Tampa &

Bill Chastain from MLB.com-Tampa

Edited by jennifer6973

Every year we hear how much Mike Illitch wants to win a World Series, yet both Cy Young winners are former Tigers.  Oh yeah, and who did Andrew Miller formerly pitch for?  But at least we got Mike Pelfrey going for us.  Woo hoo. 

And now they are talking about possibly trading Verlander and Cabrera.  If they trade one and don't make it to the WS in '17, Avila will be burned at the stake.  If they trade both and don't win the WS in '17 & '18, Illitch will be on the stake next to Avila.