Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Can you watch on FOX Sports Go if you don't have a regular carrier?

That's where I have to watch now because The Walking Dead is inconsiderate and can't run 60 minutes like a normal show and it spills into Elementary.

I to figure out what we have on the Roku, as we'll have wireless. 

But there's no guarantee it will be set up.

Fucking Bauer!

knew he was going to blow it.   While I'm happy the fans got to witness a win at their home, I have shades of 2007.

And what the hell was all that stranding runners!? 

5 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

Well, that's what you get, planning a move without considering the World Series!

Had no choice.  Wanted to move next weekend, but our mgmt company said we have to move on Nov 1st to clear our place for the next tennants.

We're only moving into a larger townhome, but it's atill a pain.

12 hours ago, rcc said:

Tito Francona is the best manager in the game and all the media says it's the manager in the other dugout. Not what I saw in Boston and right now in Cleveland.

In 2014, it was all "Showalter this/Showalter that/Showalter: Genius!"  "Yost: Dunce".  Oops!  4-game ALCS sweep, on the heels of a 3-game ALDS sweep.  Then in 2015, pretty much rinse/repeat re: Terry Collins.  Those amazing' Royals! first team to win a WS without a manager.

And on the "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" front:

@MLB tweeted out a foto of Miller & Co., saying, "When's the last time you saw a bullpen this #LightsOut?"

@Royals posted a "pondering" emoji.  Kelvin Herrera tweeted, "Hmmmm...11 months ago?"  And the Royals faithful rose up in high dudgeon, as only fans of a small-market, World Championship team, can.  Here's my favorite response:

hdh.jpg

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

There have been two games in the NFL this year that have ended in a tie and the last time that happened it was in 1997.  And that's all I'll say about that.

Would this be the same 1997 that had the Cleveland Indians win game 6 of the World Series? 

• Love 1

Mr Moving and I live in NH but he was born and raised in Cleveland.  I can't wait for the WS to end because it has turned my hubby into a superstitious mess.  I am banned from every room in our house except for the master bedroom because he says every time I leave the room the Cubs score!  Last night I did leave the room 3 times and all 3 times the Cubs did score.  Hubby thinks I am cursing the Tribe.  I need the Tribe to get this done tomorrow night so I can be free to roam about my house. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, movingtargetgal said:

Hubby thinks I am cursing the Tribe.  I need the Tribe to get this done tomorrow night so I can be free to roam about my house. 

My Dad used to make my Mom leave the room to for certain games- but it wasn't just baseball. Sometimes it helped our football teams too. She left the room and the US Olympic "can you believe in miracles" happened.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The only time I let superstition take control was Game 7 of the '91 WS. When the Twins were in the field I put on my baseball glove, when they were at bat I took it off. Seemed to prevent the Braves from scoring any runs.

Cub fan here.  I wasn't able to watch Sunday's game due to spending time with some friends in from out of town.  As it turns out, I have theater tickets for tonight, so I won't be able to watch this game either.  (I could probably see most of it before the show starts, since I'm on the west coast, but as long as they've been running, I certainly wouldn't see the end.)  If the Cubs manage to win tonight, do I watch it because it's Game 7, or do I not because my personal life controls the universe (as rallymantis described it).

[Just kidding.  No way I'd miss that.]

• Love 1
On 10/31/2016 at 6:02 PM, movingtargetgal said:

Mr Moving and I live in NH but he was born and raised in Cleveland.  I can't wait for the WS to end because it has turned my hubby into a superstitious mess.  I am banned from every room in our house except for the master bedroom because he says every time I leave the room the Cubs score!  Last night I did leave the room 3 times and all 3 times the Cubs did score.  Hubby thinks I am cursing the Tribe.  I need the Tribe to get this done tomorrow night so I can be free to roam about my house. 

Just came out of my room to get a cup of tea..........Cubs hit a grand slam.  Mr. Moving is looking for a lock to keep me in our bedroom for the duration. :)   I am NEVER going to live it down.  That grand slam will be my fault for eternity.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

Just came out of my room to get a cup of tea..........Cubs hit a grand slam.  Mr. Moving is looking for a lock to keep me in our bedroom for the duration. :)   I am NEVER going to live it down.  That grand slam will be my fault for eternity.

If he wants you to stay in your room, he should get you the tea!

He needs to pay the price for his team!

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I think I'm going to need you to come out of the room a couple of more times tonight!:) 

I swear to god, if the Cubs blow this lead, I'm not sure the team/Cubs fans will ever get over it.  I can live with losing in 7 games, just not blowing a lead like this.

For Cleveland fans' sake, I hope you stay in your master room the whole game in game 7. All those coincidences are eerie.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, twoods said:

For Cleveland fans' sake, I hope you stay in your master room the whole game in game 7. All those coincidences are eerie.

He is talking about banishing me from our home. :)  I kind of owe him because during the 1999 alds Cleveland was playing the Red Sox.  I had a work function the I needed my then boyfriend to attend with me.  He had to sit in a hotel bar with a room full of Sox fans watching the game with my boss and coworkers while they beat the Tribe 23-7.  He will never get over the indignity of it all but he still married me.  

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 3

That's hilarious! I kind of now want a constant Twitter stream update of where you are in your house at all times. :)

C'mon, Cubs, I want this series to go 7! My biggest question now isn't who is going to win the series, but whose arm is going to fall off first: Andrew Miller's or Aroldis Chapman's.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I kind of owe him because during the 1999 alds Cleveland was playing the Red Sox.  I had a work function and I needed my then boyfriend to attend with me.  He had to sit in a hotel bar with a room full of Sox fans watching the game with my boss and coworkers while they beat the Tribe 23-7.  He will never get over the indignity of it all but he still married me.  

Man, I forgot the Red Sox won a playoff game by that score. When I think of the '99 ALDS it's the "Pedro pitched 6 innings of relief" game.

You have a good man there movingtargetgirl  -- "the indignity of it all"

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

He is talking about banishing me from our home. :)  I kind of owe him because during the 1999 alds Cleveland was playing the Red Sox.  I had a work function the I needed my then boyfriend to attend with me.  He had to sit in a hotel bar with a room full of Sox fans watching the game with my boss and coworkers while they beat the Tribe 23-7.  He will never get over the indignity of it all but he still married me.  

Might I suggest if there is a game 7, for a sense of fairplay for both teams (a) you go see a movie so you are out of the house and can't curse the Indians (alternatively, you could insist the hubby buy you all kinds of goodies to entice you to stay in the bedroom next game) and (b) Scott, the Cubs fan above who is bringing good look to the Cubs by missing this game and the last, stay home and watch game 7; so we can let the teams decide the winner, not the freakish power of some folks on this board!:)

EDIT:  Actually, check that, that just reverts us to when the Indians were in charge.  Maybe Scott comes to your house and you go to Scott's (neutralizing you both) and let the chips fall where they may!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

You gotta seize this opportunity, it's a world series game 7, you may never have this opportunity ever again. 

I say you make him get you tickets to something cool. Or at least some goodies to help you hold out in your room.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, pennben said:

EDIT:  Actually, check that, that just reverts us to when the Indians were in charge.  Maybe Scott comes to your house and you go to Scott's (neutralizing you both) and let the chips fall where they may!!

Well, now you're just being silly.

So does anyone have a "I have to sit in this space on this couch/ chair" type of situation? To keep the karma right?

• Love 1

If Cleveland loses, we go from ending the longest city-wide championship drought to having the current longest MLB championship drought in the span of a little over four months. I will be very sad for my favorite sports team of all time but I also can't be upset over the Cubs finally ending their drought.

I hope Kluber is Kluber tomorrow and shuts that offense down.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, InsertWordHere said:

If Cleveland loses, we go from ending the longest city-wide championship drought to having the current longest MLB championship drought in the span of a little over four months. I will be very sad for my favorite sports team of all time but I also can't be upset over the Cubs finally ending their drought.

While I can't agree with your last paragraph (so I didn't quote it:)), I do agree with the overall sentiment.  I've said all along that if the Cubs lose the series, I'm glad it is going to be to Cleveland.  Here's to a great game 7.  Although it has taken years off of my life, this has been such a fun series and post-season for this Cubs fan.  It's only fitting that it comes down to one final game. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, pennben said:

While I can't agree with your last paragraph (so I didn't quote it:)), I do agree with the overall sentiment.  I've said all along that if the Cubs lose the series, I'm glad it is going to be to Cleveland.  Here's to a great game 7.  Although it has taken years off of my life, this has been such a fun series and post-season for this Cubs fan.  It's only fitting that it comes down to one final game. 

Exactly. I've said all along that if the Indians weren't in it, I would be rooting for the Cubs. And it's not like either of us would be losing to a four year old expansion team *sob* and that's all I'll be saying about the Indians' last World Series Game 7 appearance because I'm still not over it, TBH, and I also don't want to tempt the sports gods. But if anyone thinks the Indians somehow deserve this (not in this thread, it's just something I've been seeing on social media) because the Cavs overcame a 3-1 deficit and some fans crowed over it, I would point them to that Game 7 (which TBF, never saw either team have a 3-1 lead) and also Game 7 of the 2007 ALCS. We've already paid that due.  

8 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Quick question: Assuming there's a winner tomorrow night, which team will have the second-longest World Series drought?

Texas. They have never won. Also, whichever team wins tomorrow will no longer on the bottom of the list for World Series wins of the original 16 teams. The Phillies, Indians, and Cubs all currently have two.

Edited by InsertWordHere
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, King of Birds said:

So does anyone have a "I have to sit in this space on this couch/ chair" type of situation? To keep the karma right?

In the mid-90s the closest I got to "real time" in tense games was watching the reflection of the TV in the mirror on the opposite wall.

This proved incredibly lucky for the K-State Wildcats football squad.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, King of Birds said:

@Scott is gonna be kicking himself for missing this game.

Indeed, but thrilled with the result.

I did find a place to eat near the theater that had the game on, so I saw some of it--although not the grand slam, of course. I was also obsessively updating the score on my phone while waiting on the lobby.  I think it was the end of the 7th when I went in. I did wonder if I was the only intersection between the group of theatregoers at that show (Hedwig and the Angry Inch) and people interested the game.