Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I have to say, even though I'm rooting for the opposite, Go Cubs Go is the better song.

It's a pretty good song, like "Dirty Water."

Aim, that's pretty cool your carpool friend is picking up baseball.  Even if the games are taking FOREVER - 4 hours last night? I don't see how that helps the casual fan.

I was so excited at the 7 pm start...all for naught.  

Thank goodness there will be two weekend games in Chicago so all the tomfoolery with pitchers going in and out because they have to bat won't affect my work sleep schedule.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was so excited at the 7 pm start...all for naught.  

Thank goodness there will be two weekend games in Chicago so all the tomfoolery with pitchers going in and out because they have to bat won't affect my work sleep schedule.

Cubs pitchers aren't so bad at batting. Arrieta hit a three-run homer in the NLDS, and reliever Travis Wood also went deep! 

8 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I'll be in eastern Iowa next week for a work trip and imagine the fever is there as well.  During my three hour layover at O'Hare I hope to buy a t-shirt or something.

I live in eastern Iowa and yes the fever is definitely there as well.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, roamyn said:

It's the Cubs who make the games longer, because they take their good long time at the plate.

It's worked for them so far, so I can't blame them, even if I want to as an Indians fan.

Is that what it is? During the Dodgers games I would leave the room and do a lot of errands, only to come back and have it only be one inning. There should be a team time limit so the rest of us who already think baseball is boring can watch some of the game.

Edited by twoods

King avert your eyes.

I love A-Rod as an analyst.  Love love LOVE him.  I could listen to him talk about baseball all damn day.  I don't care if it's big picture stuff or the minutiae of hitting.  Don't care.  He is everything I thought he would be as an analyst.  His work at FOX is my favorite thing to come out of this season.

I love him.  I forgive him.  Mariano Rivera did, why shouldn't I?

• Love 7
13 hours ago, twoods said:

Is that what it is? During the Dodgers games I would leave the room and do a lot of errands, only to come back and have it only be one inning. There should be a team time limit so the rest of us who already think baseball is boring can watch some of the game.

Well, that was also because of Dodgers pitcher Pedro Baez, who even put his own teammates to sleep during the games. I'm pretty sure the earth stops orbiting the sun when he is pitching.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

King avert your eyes.

I love A-Rod as an analyst.  Love love LOVE him.  I could listen to him talk about baseball all damn day.  I don't care if it's big picture stuff or the minutiae of hitting.  Don't care.  He is everything I thought he would be as an analyst.  His work at FOX is my favorite thing to come out of this season.

I love him.  I forgive him.  Mariano Rivera did, why shouldn't I?

I think he is doing a great job. He's very knowledgeable and still nice to look at. 

I would be happy with either the Indians or Cubs winning this series but I'm a bit more favorable towards Cleveland.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

I understand there's a crap ton of pressure to make something happen when you're the last man up, but come on Baez, that last pitch was at your shoulders. I do give him a complete pass however because he's so pretty to look at.

• Love 2

That's our Baez....sigh.  I think, perhaps, that it was a bad thing that he got the co-MVP in the pennant series....he just gets too, too amped up.  Particularly at the plate...that's why he wasn't an everyday player during the season...lack of discipline at the plate. Reign it in Javy, you've got it in you to be spectacular when you don't try to do too much.

Regardless of the fact that this didn't work out for my Cubs, what a fantastic game!

• Love 2

The announcers pissed me off last night.

"Aw, the Cubs can't close it out at home."

"Cleveland ruined the 1st WS game in 70 years, for Chicago."

Like it's still pre-ordained that the Cubs will win, and we're just along to be their next victim.  And of course we "ruined" their party.  

Cleveland wants to win, too, you know!

ETA:  Bill Murray was embarrassing last night

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4

Ok so it's not just me.  I have seen effusive praise for Bill Murray all over the interwebs and I feel like I missed out on an inside joke.

Is there something to the Daffy Duck impersonation?

I mean, I didn't hate it, but I also didn't get it.  

• Love 2

Admittedly, I'm biased as a Cubs fan, but I loved Bill Murray last night. He tends to be over the top when he does the seventh inning stretch. Here are two more examples:

I can't help it; he's the biggest celebrity Cubs fan in the world, and if we can't have Harry anymore, I'm fine with Bill doing Bill while singing it. I was so happy he got to be the first celebrity conductor for the World Series; there are plenty more celebrity Cubs fans/Chicago icons to follow him these next few days.

Really, my only concern is that Bill seems to sing it on days when the Cubs lose; the second clip is from Opening Day 2004 and we lost that game (Yes, I still remember that; DON'T JUDGE ME. I was a freshman in high school and 15 years old. And I have a good memory anyway! :P).

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Ok so it's not just me.  I have seen effusive praise for Bill Murray all over the interwebs and I feel like I missed out on an inside joke.

Is there something to the Daffy Duck impersonation?

I mean, I didn't hate it, but I also didn't get it.  

I didn't either. It sounded like listening to one of those old, phlegmy drunks when Bill was shrieking into the microphone. I get that he's a longtime fan, but the hero worship is becoming a bit ridiculous, especially when his Daffy Duck impression wasn't remotely funny.

• Love 4

I appreciate Bill Murray's fandom, but I thought his 7th inning stretch was stupid. 

I definitely think the Cubs need to win tonight to have a chance, but I don't love having Lackey out there. I'm hoping that Kluber on short rest works in the Cub favor. I selfishly am also hoping they win because I found a Chicago sports bar in Atlanta and want to experience some excitement rather than frustration if I'm going into the city to watch the game. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Jon Hamm wore a Cardinals hat at Wrigley last night. From 1908. (Obviously it was a replica) I do love a good rivalry.

I wasn't looking at the TV when Joe mentioned Jon was there, and he said it when they were going over the list of Cub celebrities, and I thought to myself "but isn't he from St. Louis?" and then was ashamed of myself for knowing that.  Now I'm amused at his choice of headgear.

• Love 1

Not a Lackey fan but I hope he pitches a good game for the Cubs tonight. They need a win at home and the fans need a win at home too so they can celebrate at Wrigley.

2 hours ago, rcc said:

Not a Lackey fan but I hope he pitches a good game for the Cubs tonight. They need a win at home and the fans need a win at home too so they can celebrate at Wrigley.

What is it abt Lackey that's worrisome?   I thought he,was an experienced, good pitcher?

I'm already down for the Cubbies winning 2morrow if Bauer pitches.  Which means the Tribe has to win tonight for my blood pressure to go down. 

Thoughts while waiting for the Seventh Inning Stretch: "You think they'll bring back Bernie Mac for Game 5?" "Oh . . . right. Forgot about that."

The Cubs have the foundation for more attempts, right? Right now, I'm thinking Cleveland will be named "City Of The Year" by Sports Illustrated between the Indians and Cavaliers. If the Indians wind up blowing it, it'll just be LeBron James getting the honor.

ETA: The 2008 Series inspired "The World Series Defense" episode from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Good stuff.

17 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

I'm thoroughly enjoying this game.

I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for all the distraught Cubs fans they keep panning on. I feel bad for smirking a little but after the Indians have pretty much played second fiddle to the Cubs with media coverage I can't help rooting for them. There is still time and the Cubs can come back, but it's looking bleak.

• Love 3

The Cubs & their fans have nothing to be ashamed of this season.

Maybe for the Series, but they knew how to win during the regular season.

For the first time, I'm feeling hopeful.  Worried abt freaking Bauer 2morrow.  I wish Francona would start Merrit.

• Love 1

What a game! Our bats came alive, Kluber was magnificent and he got a hit after they pitched around to get to him! Only negative was that Miller gave up a run, ending his beautiful run of 16 scoreless innings in the postseason but that doesn't really matter. I can't believe we are here. Actually, I can. I live in Believeland. 

1 minute ago, roamyn said:

Worried abt freaking Bauer 2morrow

Me too. I think they should have Salazar and Merritt waiting to go. 

• Love 3

It looks like this is Cleveland's year but I want the Cubs to win one game at least for the fans at home.

Tito Francona is the best manager in the game and all the media says it's the manager in the other dugout. Not what I saw in Boston and right now in Cleveland.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, rcc said:

It looks like this is Cleveland's year but I want the Cubs to win one game at least for the fans at home.

This is where I am too. I'm okay with the Indians winning, but I really would like the Cubs and their fans to have a chance to celebrate at least once at home.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

This is where I am too. I'm okay with the Indians winning, but I really would like the Cubs and their fans to have a chance to celebrate at least once at home.

I understand.  I'm conflicted, too.

I'd like to see them win one at home.  On the other hand - we don't care where we win, we just want to finish it.  Surprisingly alot of Cubs fans are saying the same.  "Just get it over with and move on."

A side effect of being a Giants fan in this decade is not being able to believe a series is over until it's over. The 2012 Giants came back from 0-2 in the NLDS to win three on the road in Cincy, and then came back from 1-3 in the NLCS to win three in a row (one in St. Louis, two at home). I want the Tribe to win this but I really hope Cubs fans aren't throwing in the towel! It's not like 3-1 leads in have never been blown before! But hey, at least it's not a sweep. I just re-watched the 2012 World Series and sweeps in the WS are kinda weird, even when it's your team doing the sweeping.

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 1

Greetings from rural eastern Iowa.   I've been up since 3:30AM ET, had a three hour layover in Chicago followed by a departure delay for a total of four and a half hours of ass time in O'Hare, and I paid the ridiculous sum of $35 (before taxes!) for a Cubs t-shirt.  Pretty much everyone in the airport was in head to toe Cubs gear but at the same time everyone looked sad.  I hope by some miracle they can bounce back tonight.

• Love 3

Hope that Cubs t-shirt has some real gold lining in it.

eta- the worst part of watching the WS has been all the ads about the CA initiatives. Tonight I'm flipping to Islanders vs Maple Leafs during commercials.

Edited by King of Birds

Here's the thing.  If the Cubbies hold on to win that will be so great for their fans, they get to sing the song, everyone goes home happy and the Indians can close out at home.

But I saw what the Cubs did in the last two games against the Dodgers.  The Indians have Kluber, but the Dodgers had Kershaw and it didn't make a bit of difference.  I would be petrified of that beatdown happening again.

I've seen those ads here about the CA initiatives. I have no idea why they are showing in Central New York.

Edited by mojoween

Please!   Please!   No repeat of 2007!

I'm banging my head against the table!

Also, we're moving down the street on Tuesday.  I might not be able to watch the game!  Esp since we're going away from traditional tv.

Can you watch on FOX Sports Go if you don't have a regular carrier?

That's where I have to watch now because The Walking Dead is inconsiderate and can't run 60 minutes like a normal show and it spills into Elementary.