Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I didn't feel good about rooting for Chapman when he was a Yankee, and I wonder how Cubbies feel watching him out there knowing he's what is going to help them get into the Series.

If it helps, my friend, the die-hard Cubs fan hates that he's on the team.  Really hates it.  However, right now, he's ecstatic...  

My only issue at the moment is...no baseball tomorrow night.  Damn.  Sorta

18 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Cubs are three outs away, up by five. I keep imagining the ball hit near the field and the fans fleeing the area, not wanting to be the next Bartman.

Me too! The only field in the world where fans will run AWAY from potentially catching a baseball....

Congrats to the Cubs!!!! If it couldn't be the Sox, a Chicago-Cleveland WS makes me happy. This way, no matter who wins, I can be happy for the team and the fans, as they're more than past due.

Kershaw has nothing to hang his head about--the Dodgers only made it this far because of him. He just didn't have it tonight, and the Cubs weren't going to be denied.

• Love 2

Wow. Is a Cubs/Indians Series the official Seventh Sign? Sixth? And damn, how many shots were taken at the final out? I kept expecting a shot of Steve Bartman in his undisclosed location.

ETA: Here's hoping Theo and Maddon thank the Yankees for being sellers at the deadline. [/sorrynotsorry]

ETA2: What were the fans singing after the final out?

• Love 1

Congrats, Cubs & fans!

It's gonna be a great Series!  I almost - almost - wish I still lived in Chicago so flaunt my Tribe self.

This is not against the fans or team, but the media ass kissing of the Cubs is gonna make me vomit in my mouth until Tuesday.

"I guess there's just one thing left to do...win the whole fucking thing."

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wow. Is a Cubs/Indians Series the official Seventh Sign? Sixth? And damn, how many shots were taken at the final out? I kept expecting a shot of Steve Bartman in his undisclosed location.

ETA: Here's hoping Theo and Maddon thank the Yankees for being sellers at the deadline. [/sorrynotsorry]

ETA2: What were the fans singing after the final out?

The Cubs theme song, stupid and catchy as hell Go Cubs Go I think written by Eddie Vedder.

Yay Cubs!! 

Lantern7, that was "Go Cubs Go" by the late great singer-songwriter Steve Goodman. It was written as a promo song for WGN's broadcast back in the early '80s and has played at Wrigley after wins for several years now. 

Baseball season's underway
Well, you'd better get ready for a brand new day
Hey, Chicago, what do you say?
The Cubs are gonna win today

They're singing
Go, Cubs, Go!
Go, Cubs Go!
The Cubs are gonna win today!

They got the power
They got the speed
To be the best in the National League

Well this is the year
And the Cubs are real
So come on down to Wrigley Field

(We're singing, now)
Go, Cubs, Go!
Go, Cubs Go!
The Cubs are gonna win today

Baseball time is here again
You can catch it all on WGN
So stamp your feet and clap your hands
Chicago Cubs have got the greatest fans

(Keep on singing, now)
Go, Cubs, Go!
Go, Cubs, Go!
The Cubs are gonna win today!

Goodman also wrote the now-out-of-date "Dying Cub Fan's Last Request," which has the line "The last time the Cubs won the National League pennant was the year we dropped the bomb on Japan." It also mentions '80s-era Cubs player Keith Moreland dropping a routine fly, which ties into the other song because Moreland is one of several Cubs singing back-up on Go Cubs Go.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 6

This is going to be a fun World Series! Not really pulling for one team over the other as much as I am hoping for good, dramatic, exciting baseball. Both teams WANT this. It's hard to root against anyone or begrudge the euphoria either fanbase will feel if they win. Congrats to the Cubs, and LOL Dodgers.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Remember when George Steinbrenner was the devil for buying WS teams?  Remember when all of the other teams railed and railed against the injustice of it all?  Remember when the Yankees started revenue sharing so everyone could get a piece of the pie?

Oh, that's all water under the bridge now because other teams are doing it?  Ok then.

It would be cool if the Tigers had made it to the World Series this year and not just because I am a Tigers fan.  The last time the Cubs were in the WS they lost to the Tigers (1945).  The last two times they won the WS (1907-08) they beat the Tigers.  "It's the circle of life..."

9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Remember when George Steinbrenner was the devil for buying WS teams?  Remember when all of the other teams railed and railed against the injustice of it all?  Remember when the Yankees started revenue sharing so everyone could get a piece of the pie?

Oh, that's all water under the bridge now because other teams are doing it?  Ok then.

Yankees are #2 in payroll and spent $40 million more than the Cubs and $113 million more than the Indians. Get out of here with that.

Bad teams should trade talent for future prospects.  Yankees did that. Job done. Eventually it should pay off for them.

• Love 1

When Joe Maddon decided to take out Hendricks with five outs left to go, my blood pressure spiked!  Oh my, the Cubs are in the World Series and there is a little bright spot in an otherwise generally lousy 2016!

I'm glad Cleveland is our opponent as, for as disappointed as I would be if the Cubs lost, that's another fan base that has waited a long, long time.

I'm not sure if I'm not willing to allow myself to believe that the Cubs will win it this year, or it is just a gut feeling I've had for awhile, but I'm not so sure it's the Cubs year, although I do believe that this team's core will win one (and that's a nice feeling to have...never had it as a Cubs fan).  Regardless, one big hurdle down in getting there, one big one to go.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, pennben said:

I'm not sure if I'm not willing to allow myself to believe that the Cubs will win it this year, or it is just a gut feeling I've had for awhile, but I'm not so sure it's the Cubs year, although I do believe that this team's core will win one (and that's a nice feeling to have...never had it as a Cubs fan).  Regardless, one big hurdle down in getting there, one big one to go.

I picked the Cubs to win the pennant, and then lose in the WS, but not to Cleveland.  I think it'll be close.  If Chicago loses, I'd hate for it to be due to that stupid All-Star rule. But the Indians are pretty elite after all of their loses & injuries. Unless Chicago scores early (like tonight), they'll have to find their victory based off of defense to avoid extending their WS-winning drought to 109 years, IMO

A lot of our Tribe players are home grown.  Our family has been cheering Francisco Lindor since AA in Akron.  Kipnis, Chisenhall, Salazar, Allen, Rameriz, Tomlin, Naquin, Perez . . . We are the anthitesis of the George Steinbrenner "buy a team" approach.

• Love 3

Yay to the Cubs and congrats to the long suffering Cub fans. There are so many ex Red Sox players and management on either team that I'm just happy both Cleveland and Chicago made it to the WS. Whoever wins will be a great thing and I just want a well fought series with no sweep on either side.

As far as the Dodgers go I do feel a bit bad for Dave Roberts.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

A lot of our Tribe players are home grown.  Our family has been cheering Francisco Lindor since AA in Akron.  Kipnis, Chisenhall, Salazar, Allen, Rameriz, Tomlin, Naquin, Perez . . . We are the anthitesis of the George Steinbrenner "buy a team" approach.

Or the '97 Marlins...grrr.

Add Crisp too.  He began his career with us.  Oh, and now Merritt. 

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

Wow, judging from some of the ESPN articles, the tongue bath of the Cubs is going to get old pretty fast. I'm happy for them and their fans but some of those articles are overkill. I almost found myself rooting for the Dodgers on a few occasions, and I can't stand them. Hope Cleveland puts up a fight and this is a good series.

• Love 4

I don't want to reawaken the jinx so I'll just say that in the WS I prefer the manager who was given a bad rap by his old team because of the consumption of poultry and adult beverages.  As distasteful as it is to say because of who the said former team is.

• Love 2

I am happy that both fandoms get to experience the WS thrill after such a long wait. Yanks won in '96 and while it hadn't been 50+ years it was indeed very much a wonderous feeling and the '98 season of 100 whatever was the best thing ever.

I thought that I would be ecstatic about this match up and be rooting for the Cubs but I am actually kind of meh about it. I will say that it may just be Cleveland I will be hoping will win. But really, if the Cubs don't win I fear for their fans. One should never waste a 100+ winning season. How many wins did Cleveland have this season? 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, prican58 said:

I am happy that both fandoms get to experience the WS thrill after such a long wait. Yanks won in '96 and while it hadn't been 50+ years it was indeed very much a wonderous feeling and the '98 season of 100 whatever was the best thing ever.

I thought that I would be ecstatic about this match up and be rooting for the Cubs but I am actually kind of meh about it. I will say that it may just be Cleveland I will be hoping will win. But really, if the Cubs don't win I fear for their fans. One should never waste a 100+ winning season. How many wins did Cleveland have this season? 

The 95 Indians won the Central by 30 games and were 56 games over 50.  I don't remember how many games we won that year, but we were so dominant offensive & defensively, that the only thin that could beat us was geeat pitching.  Enter the Braves.

So the best team from all season doesn't always win.  In fact, more often than not it loses.

This time we have great pitching & defense, but our offense is lagging.

I think it'll go six, and of course I pick the Tribe.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, prican58 said:

I remember I hated the Braves and really wanted Cleve to kick ass but no.

Any word on Cle/Chi weather for this series? It could be brutal.

I remember (or think I do anyway) the last time Cleveland was in the WS against the team from Florida and it was so cold that Edgar Renteria was wearing a full ski-stocking cap with face covering under his team cap.  That still makes me smile for some reason.

I try to forget everything from that Series, but I can never get over the picture of my beloved Omar Vizquel sitting alone on the visitors bench with his head hung low.  :*(

I wonder if anyone can find some midges to let loose.  That was a fun game.  I was actually at that game. 

• Love 1

I watch anime. The first theme song for Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans is "Raise Your Flag." I think the shortened version from the show syncs up very well with the Cubs. You decide

Maybe somebody can run highlights to that song? I mean, the odds that Man With A Mission being comprised of Cubs fans is slim, but the lyrics are just so Cubs.

I'm happy the baby bears beat the smurfs (although even I, as a Giants fan, am starting to feel sorry for Chokeshaw. Only a little bit though). However, go Indigenous Peoples' all the way (which yes, feels weird to root for the AL, and for a team from Cleveland at that). On the one hand, if the cubs won, the world could STFU about their 108 year curse, on the other hand, they really shouldn't be counting their chickens before they hatch. Keep those egos in check, boys. I think I dislike Baez + Arrieta + Arrieta's fake looking beard even more than I dislike Puiggy + Chase "I will break your leg" Utley combined. Either way, I won't be watching unless there's nothing else on. 

Edited by MattDuffysCat

It is fascinating to see the parallels between the Cavs' run and the Tribe's run in the post-season: both swept a team (2 in the Cavs' case), both had to go through Toronto, and both ended up in the finals facing the media's darling with the best regular season record.  I just hope the Tribe can win it all without the 1-3 comeback the Cavs needed.  I don't think my heart can take that again.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The media is doing their damnedest to make sure that any casual fan without a horse in the race turns on the Cubs and quickly.

i disagree.  It's all bern ass kissing the Cubs all season.  Even when the Indians swept the Sox it was "the Tribe sweeps.  IT'S PAPI'S LAST GAME!  OH, WHAT IS BASEBALL GONNA DO?  LOOK AT THE SOX SAYING GOODBYE!"

For every 8 Cubs stories, there has been one Indians (or Dodgers, Jays, etc) all post season.  That's not an exaggeration.

I hate Baez, too.  I also hate the stupid playoff beards.

• Love 3

While I'm rooting for the Baby Bears I really wish there was a way for both teams to win.  I love me some Tito and 1948 was a long time ago but not having even reached the WS since 1945 and not having won it since 1908, well, this is for Fergie and Billy and Santo and especially for Ernie and all of the other Cubs greats that never even made it this far.  Plus there's something special about Wrigley Field and it's hard to beat it as a back drop.

Honestly I don't get how any baseball fan could not be interested in watching this WS.  What a great matchup from a historical perspective!

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Right.  That's what I'm saying, is the media is going to overdo it and make people hate the Cubs.

Ok, I misunderstood what you were saying.  I thought you meant the media was turning on them.

I won't be too upset if the Cubs win, as long as it's a great Series.

ETA to CRS:  If the Tribe loses, that bodes well for next year.  The Cavs had an injury beat team last year and came back to win in all.  And we have a beat up time this year.  Just need to re-sign a few guys.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1

Even as a Cubs fan I can agree that the media is over the top (and has been for a lot of the season). I don't live in IL anymore so I enjoy the coverage because I don't have the local media talking about it as well, but I see where it could turn off the casual fan. Of course I'm also the ever pessimistic Cubs fan and I worry that all the media craziness will jinx them. During the last game I was on edge until about the 7th inning and even then I couldn't fully relax until that last out was recorded. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Honestly I don't get how any baseball fan could not be interested in watching this WS.  What a great matchup from a historical perspective!

Because you don't even need to watch it for it to be in your face about what's happening, at least if you read anything sports-related online. Also, listening to Joe Buck and watching Fox's coverage usually makes me want to stab my ears with a pencil. I'm mentally checked out until spring training.

• Love 2