Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Neither of these teams is my horse but I still have the feels about this entire endeavor, but I can't say what I hope happens because of all the mojo flying around with the rituals of staying in the bedroom and leaving the house and whatnot.  I have too much jinx power.

So even though this won't affect my sports life, I'm still on pins and needles until the final out tomorrow morning.  Because let's face it, these games are LONG.  My TV asked me if I were still alive because the channel had not changed in so long and it was only a nine inning game!

• Love 3

I'm from the North Side of Chicago so have been a Cubs fan my whole life. My cousin used to live on Addison, two blocks away from Wrigley field. I would spend  entire summers at his house and we'd go to every home game. For free, because we'd be among a small group of kids that stayed after the game and flipped up the seats so the ushers would give us a free pass for the next game. We always sat on the first base side because we wanted to be near Ernie Banks. Of course the seats were way up, but we'd creep down into better ones if they were still empty by the third inning. They were all afternoon games since there were no lights yet. We did this for years till my family moved out of state. Those were the days, I spent many a happy hour in the friendly confines. 

So of course I'm beyond excited, I'm practically into delirious.  Go Cubs go!!

• Love 11

I was also at another event during the game last night. Had 2nd row floor seats at the Spurs basketball game and there I am doing doubly duty watching that game and the series game on my phone, which I had on in my lap. At one point I was watching the basketball game when my mother, sitting next to me, suddenly starts poking me all, "Grand slam, grand slam!"

• Love 5
14 hours ago, roamyn said:

It's 2007 all over again!

F&g Chicago won in 2005!

But the not the RIGHT Chicago team. ;)

I am so excited/scared for tonight. I wish something like this could be finished out at Wrigley, but most of all I'm just ready to see them get it DONE! GO CUBS GO! :D 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, rcc said:

Thanks. That's so cool that a baseball team has their own original theme song. I wonder if they're the only one.

Not the only one. My "other" team (grew up in Maryland) has one, too.

ETA: Someone beat me to it! :)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Kluber can out Baumgardner Mads if he gets a 7th game win as a starter, and then we can call him Mr. November.

I'm torn;  the Bay area sports fan in me wants the Indians to Pay for the sins of the Cavaliers with a reverse karma loss  at home after being spotted a 3-1 lead, but at the same time, I realized there must have been a lot of reverse karma/cursing that resulted in both teams 176 year drought.  Time to let go of the hate and bitterness, until the next season  at least.

Go Indians!!

• Love 1

I live in Atlanta, but I am a ride or die Cubs fan. Braves second. My entire family lived in Chicago, hell, my great aunt used to run booze for Al Capone so my love runs deep.  This is so exciting!!! Such a good series and if the Indians win I won't be too mad since they have waited just about as long for their win as the Cubs.

Go Cubs!!!

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Quick question: Assuming there's a winner tomorrow night, which team will have the second-longest World Series drought?

14 hours ago, InsertWordHere said:

Texas. They have never won. Also, whichever team wins tomorrow will no longer on the bottom of the list for World Series wins of the original 16 teams. The Phillies, Indians, and Cubs all currently have two.

I was thinking it would be a tie between Texas and Houston, but I just looked it up and Houston's a year younger.  So one of those teams will take over the "longest drought" title in their league if their respective champion wins.

When the Cubs went up 7-0 in the 3rd last night, it struck me that that was a perfect setup for the ultimate crushing Cubs-style defeat, if they had lost that lead and the game.  But they didn't! :)  So now, either the Indians will complete the blowing of a 3-1 Series lead, or the Cubs will have come back from 3-1 to force Game 7 and then lost.  It would have been easier on both sides had it been a back-and-forth series to get to this point.

Good luck to everyone on both sides!  As a Red Sox fan, I know what it's like to be thinking of everyone who isn't here with you to see it happening.  As we said on the Sons of Sam Horn message board in October 2004, #WinItFor....

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

I was thinking it would be a tie between Texas and Houston, but I just looked it up and Houston's a year younger.  So one of those teams will take over the "longest drought" title in their league if their respective champion wins.

Houston isn't in the National League anymore, they and Texas are both American League, so no. If Cleveland wins, the Rangers get to carry the Longest Drought mantle.

Houston has the longest MLB drought for a city, because the Rangers were originally the second version of the Washington Senators. I still insist that the Mets are "second-tier jinxed" despite their two titles.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, mojoween said:

But we already have a Mr. November.

In general I'm not a fan of stories about sports healing/unifying society. But I was still living in the city back then and Piazza's home run when baseball returned and Jeter's home run in the World Series really were moments that really felt bigger than the sport itself.

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Cleveland.  You have to do a better job of keeping the opposing team's fans out of your stadium.

Right? I know the Cubs are winning but the stadium sounds like Wrigley Field. 

Cleveland's gotta represent. 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Cleveland.  You have to do a better job of keeping the opposing team's fans out of your stadium.

I'm sympathetic.  I get tired of Camden Yards being called Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park South.  But, if the fans travel - and pay - what are you going to do.  

I was still in the car for the opening home run and it sounded like they were at Wrigley on my radio.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Miss Chevious said:

I'm trying to stay calm. We're almost there. Loved when they showed the crowd gathered in front of the Cubs sign at Wrigley. 

That's where my sister is tonight!  I guess there's no big tv there? So everyone's just frantically checking their phones?

• Love 1

At least the Cavs won this year or else it would really suck to be a Cleveland fan. Winning after being down 3-1, and then losing after being up 3-1- such extremes. Then there are the Browns...at least we can be happy for the long suffering Cubs fans (if they end up winning).

• Love 4