Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I never noticed the prominent chins on the kids before. Yowza!

It's because the kids are emaciated. Their chins (and their heads in general) look oversized because they're resting on skeletal necks and shoulders. They look like bobbleheads and Nurie in particular looks like her head could snap off her neck at any moment.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Because she's an ignorant twit?  Random capitalizations is part of the charm of Jill's writing style.  Implying that her two eldest children are in a dating relationship is part of Jill's idiocy.  Why call it a double date?  Why not say that the 2 oldest kids joined you for dinner out?  For that matter, I don't understand this fundie insistence that married couples out doing stuff together are on a date.  

Jill's revelation that her two oldest kids 'enjoy each others grown, adult company' while waiting for chaste, godly mates kinda makes me queasy. I can't even joke about incest myself, but this post is one of the ickiest ones she's ever done. Flowers in the Attic anyone?

Are any of her followers pointing out her stupidity?

I know! Nothing wrong with opposite sex adult relatives spending time together and being close. I’m sure hanging out with your sibling (who’s also an adult) is a hell of a lot more fun than wrangling a bunch of littles. But it’s not a REPLACEMENT for a romantic/sexual partner! It squeaks me out!

The same way a father’s love/company/attention is NOT a replacement for a sexual romantic partner for an adult woman. That’s not to say a loving involved Dad isn’t a great thing (of course it is) but it’s not in the same lane. Just stop this shit. (Them not you) 

• Love 23
On 12/28/2018 at 6:06 PM, ginger90 said:

Poem written by our good friend and “brother in law” (of sorts) – Steven Foster. What a blessing and powerful reminder!

Look Up!!

We look at our phone, and stare at a screen, but is it known, what this could mean?

While Facebook has your eyes, and you’re focused on the one who texted you, you might not realize, you’re missing the one who’s next to you.

It’s time to admit, we’ve lost control,
or we can just sit, watching it take it’s toll.

Staring into a screen, as life passes you by, 
oh what a sad scene, it’s happening you can’t deny.

It’s time to look up, and put down the phone, before we have to drink the cup, of all the seeds we’ve sown.

Look at the one, beside you, and never let your phone, hide you.

Life is so precious, and goes by so fast, 
please don’t forget this, for it soon will be past.

Look up today, and see who’s around you, and soon you will say, I’m glad I looked up and found you.

We need to look up at the faces walking by, and show them love before we die.

We need to look all the way up to the One who can save, for He made a way to live beyond the grave.

Look up, look up, and call on Jesus, 
for only He, can truly save us.

By Steven Foster

LOOK UP!!

Jill's brother in law (of sorts) must have attended the same SOTDRT as the rest of this family. Just wow. 

Excuse me. I need to go drink a cup of sown seeds 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

You should read his blog sometime. He's a pompous little know it all at all of 21 or 22.

Yes!  Thank you for pointing this twit out!  I feel like Chelsey gets a pass because she's in a somewhat prettier package than the other Maxwell bots, but she is every bit as ugly on the inside.  I'll never forget her assy remark about the young mechanic who came to help her when she locked her keys in her car.  She called this young, working guy a BUM!!  This was based on the way he looked and was dressed.  Apparently if a guy isn't wearing khakis with a polo tucked in, while having a regular boys haircut, then he is a bum.  It doesn't matter what is in someone's heart and mind or that they are working hard.  Everyone not exactly like them are BUMS!!  They are a bunch of assholes!!!

• Love 22

That's why she's known as Judgy Chelsy. Joshua is even more blatant in his judgements. The scope of what's acceptable in his world is Maxwellian. Even Chelsy breaks out of that Borg on occasion. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

I think she gets a pass, because most people don't know the Bontragers in the same way they know the Duggars or Rods. The Bates get a big pass despite all their stuff.  I was like Chelsy in being Judgy in high school; the difference is I outgrew it (mostly) and my parents largely discouraged my judgmentalness (unlike the Bonts or Maxwells). I'm not fooled by the Bontragers. The two things that standout to me is their consistent useful of quiverfull terminology and her brother's blog.

• Love 8
On 12/30/2018 at 8:01 AM, GeeGolly said:

Safety glasses and hardhat, yet he has earbuds on. Unless they're noise cancelling buds I can't think of hardhat area that would allow personal music.

Could they be plain old-fashioned foam rubber earplugs tied together so if you lose one, you don't lose the other?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-TaperFit-Earplugs-Conservation-312-1223/dp/B008MCUC5G/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_121_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=1YTXMEDAAP2MANP4GCEY

The "double date", I have no words.  Those kids must be inured to embarrassment at this point.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Lunera said:

Zach turned 30 a few days ago and it looks like Trace is a police officer now. This guy is 1 year younger than Josiah and 1 year older than the twins and has already done a few years in college and has a real job. Meanwhile, Boob and Moob are pushing their balding unemployed sons into quickie marriages. 

I don't agree with the Bates theology or their involvement with Gothard.   But, at least the adult children are doing something with their lives  They have career type jobs and skills.  Why would anyone pick a Duggar offspring over a Bates?  Plus the fact that they look clean and well groomed.  Zach needs a pocket protector for those pens.  

Except for Josh's short time in DC and JD's pilot's license, does any Duggar have a skill?  Or been employed outside the family?  It's not that construction, towing and car lots aren't decent jobs.  It's that Boob owns them all.

Edited by beagletime
forgot a sentence.
  • Love 24
10 minutes ago, beagletime said:

I don't agree with the Bates theology or their involvement with Gothard.   But, at least the adult children are doing something with their lives  They have career type jobs and skills.  Why would anyone pick a Duggar offspring over a Bates?  Plus the fact that they look clean and well groomed.  Zach needs a pocket protector for those pens.  

Except for Josh's short time in DC and JD's pilot's license, does any Duggar have a skill?  Or been employed outside the family?  It's not that construction, towing and car lots aren't decent jobs.  It's that Boob owns them all.

JD also has a CDL and heavy equipment operator's license. He's probably the only Duggar son who could land a decent job.

• Love 16

I live in WV, and have been to Hawks Nest several times.  I haven't eaten dinner there, and honestly, I don't think I'd drive all the way out there to eat.  Hawks Nest is a pretty nice place to visit in the summer.  They have a aerial tram that takes you down to the New River, and there are jet boat rides as well.  

It's an hour and 15 minutes from the Rod home to Ansted where the park is located.  You have to drive down some windy country roads in the dark and dodge deer along the way.  Of course, the Mystery Hole is nearby, but I doubt it's open in winter, not that they'd stop anyway.

I'd rather go to the "nice" Olive Garden, which is probably about 20 minutes from them.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

What an idiot. We were stranded Monday at a gas station in South Georgia, three hours from home, with a car that wouldn’t start. It seems amazing, but six people stranded in a minivan seemed to completely baffle the Roadside Assistance people when it came to getting all of us to a hotel at least.  Then, along came a guy every single one of our neighborhood fundies would have shunned.  He had tattoos up and down both arms, a torn shirt unbuttoned halfway down his chest, and more piercings than I could count. But, he saw that we needed help, and he and a buddy worked together to get us on the road again.  Good people come in all packages. 

Good people do come in all packages and what a loss to those who judge by outward trappings.   Ted Bundy came in a pretty package.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I can picture Nurie and Tim sharing the garden salad while Jill and Dough Boy order the New York Strip.

I kept thinking that this was one of the times Nurie and Tim were fasting. Most likely fasting for godly, chaste mates.

• Love 18
13 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

Seems like it would be out of their price range. 

Well, the other kids are dining on leftover beans they've scraped from the bottom of discarded cans. And cracker crumbs. So food costs for the day even out. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

5c2d19356a2e0_Rodriguesmeal.thumb.jpg.8b1a88c714d720a8a47b70aee048e75e.jpg
5c2d1941aa59b_TimandNurie.thumb.jpg.a897dba13e89e9dd2158e247dd27eed4.jpg5c2d194534ec1_DavidandJill.thumb.jpg.d6293a35a38d84c712d40f4305808b1f.jpg

Jill has a new public blog post up with lots of pictures.  I'm just putting up three of them.  First is a holiday meal.  Second and third are from the creepy "double date".  She also included a picture of 7 cookies from the cookie decorating post since we mean internet haters thought the girls all shared one cookie.  (Sorry, Jill.  All those kids and you just did 7 cookies?  That still doesn't help you out.)

I'm not in the habit of fat-shaming since I myself could stand to lose 10... 15... okay, okay 20 pounds at least.  But when my kids and grandkids are around, I eat last.  I make sure that all of them have enough to eat before I fill my plate.  The fact that David is so large and those kids are so thin drives me crazy.   Also, notice that Jill is doing a little crouch in that last picture so it makes Big Dave look taller.  That made me laugh.

• Love 24
22 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

In that picture where everyone seems to have food on their plate - does she take it away after the pictures?

Probably, but, if you look, everyone has a single piece of pizza and what appears to be some raw veggies/pickles or something.  There are only a couple of pieces of pizza on the pan in the center of the table.  Considering that most of them are adults and teens, and that several of those teens are boys, unless she's got a couple of extra pizzas back in the kitchen; there is no way that that is an adequate meal for most of them.  It doesn't appear that they've started eating, the pieces of pizza we see on the plates are complete; so it's not like they've already eaten a round or two. 

And, yeah, the 7 pumpkin cookies for the 10 or so kids still at home and old enough to eat cookies is still pretty pitiful.  I presume the kids decorated a couple dozen and most were put away for Daddy.

• Love 18
On 1/1/2019 at 1:00 AM, mynextmistake said:

So Jill R thinks that two adult siblings who go out with their parents are on a date? Has she started snorting her Plexus? 

We are entering Flowers in the Attic territory. On what planet are they double dating? 

• Love 16
4 hours ago, cdp73 said:

When is David due?

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

lol! He really isn't skipping meals is he? 

Seriously!!!   He has gotten even larger..  

His jacket is straining to stay zipped.  He should be ashamed of himself with his children looking so sickly.

9C1291BA-249E-48F1-80E6-B3981846CE8D.jpeg

• Love 4
On 12/28/2018 at 6:56 PM, ChiCricket said:

@ginger90 posted this photo.

What in the wide world of sports is a-goin' on here? 🤤

{Blazing Saddles quote }

20181228_205511.jpg

If they had bonnets instead of pincushion hats (great description, @doodlebug !), I would have thought it was an old Holly Hobby outfit of Jill and her sisters from the 1970s.

@Realityfan27
Seems like it would be out of their price range. 

I wonder if someone gave them a gift card, or maybe gave Nurie or Tim a gift card and they decided to bless their parents with a free meal. Although, I guess if the kids got the gift card Jill would be bragging about them being obedient to God by honoring their parents. Poor kids can't do anything nice just because they love their parents, it all comes back to religion.

The picture with all the children around the table really shows how much Tim has filled out since he started college. He's still very thin, but doesn't look like he's being starved like his siblings.

Edited by Nysha
Didn't want to double post.
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Probably, but, if you look, everyone has a single piece of pizza and what appears to be some raw veggies/pickles or something.  There are only a couple of pieces of pizza on the pan in the center of the table.  Considering that most of them are adults and teens, and that several of those teens are boys, unless she's got a couple of extra pizzas back in the kitchen; there is no way that that is an adequate meal for most of them.  It doesn't appear that they've started eating, the pieces of pizza we see on the plates are complete; so it's not like they've already eaten a round or two

Yeah, it looks like everyone has the same thing on each of their plates, one slice of pizza and some veggies/pickles. The blob of red stuff (possibly ketchup, marinara, hot sauce or something else) looks to be finished on what little we can see of David's plate. Is everyone at the table, because it seems a bit odd that everyone's plates look so untouched and David has already finished part of his portion. It is quite possible I am overthinking it all though.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 4

Carlin Bates has announced she's going to have a father-daughter [dance] with her father Gil Bates. This is a first for a Duggar/Bates kid, as IBLP follows 19th century  Baptist traditions of no bous boos bues boze  booze, and no dancing. I think it's the first dancing at a wedding unless Johan David and Abby danced. 

Edited by Temperance
left out a word
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Why the need for her to announce this to the public before the wedding?

It is bizarre to announce that. It gives me hope for the 3rd generation though. From Alyssa down, the daughters all seem to have pushed away one or two Gothard rules and Gil's mom is not Gothard and has a wee bit influence on the family. Maybe, just maybe this 3rd generation can peel away the layers of 'Christian' judgement and hate and teach their parents and grandparents a thing or two.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Why the need for her to announce this to the public before the wedding?

Maybe it's a head's-up for the invited guests, so that anyone who would be offended at the sight of a father dancing with his daughter could stay away.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

Yeah, it looks like everyone has the same thing on each of their plates, one slice of pizza and some veggies/pickles. The blob of red stuff (possibly ketchup, marinara, hot sauce or something else) looks to be finished on what little we can see of David's plate. Is everyone at the table, because it seems a bit odd that everyone's plates look so untouched and David has already finished part of his portion. It is quite possible I am overthinking it all though.

The thing which puzzled/amused me most was that in addition to the one slice of pizza on each plate, and what looks to be some pickles and maybe olives there is also one of those containers of the pressurized whipped cream. No other sweets in sight. I can't imagine it goes on the pizza (gag!)...does that mean everyone gets a spritz of whipped cream out of the can for dessert?

• Love 9
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

That balcony doesn't look as if it's in good repair. Not sure I'd be cozying up to the edge for a picture.

Well, it's not a balcony actually. It's a (small) cliff. With a railing, which looks pretty well grounded in the cliff, as far as I can tell......Just not, you know, freshly painted. They might put on some paint after winter passes and the spring tourism season begins, though.

That park is a major recreation center for this part of the country -- tons of things to do that pull people from wealthier areas like DC for weekends and other short breaks.  And as far as I've seen, Hawks Nest -- and the other West Virginia parks I've visited -- are pretty well maintained. I expect they bring a lot of out-of-state money into a state that needs the money badly, so I think they take care of them. Can't risk losing business because some Rep.'s wife and mother fell through a rickety railing! 

(not that I'd mind all that much if Jill the Hideous and David Carrying Baby Elephant tumbled backward into the parking lot. I'd feel bad for the baby elephant, though.) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, it's not a balcony actually. It's a (small) cliff. With a railing, which looks pretty well grounded in the cliff, as far as I can tell......

That park is a major recreation center for this part of the country -- tons of things to do that pull people from wealthier areas like DC for weekends and other short breaks.  And as far as I've seen, Hawks Nest -- and the other West Virginia parks I've visited -- are pretty well maintained. I expect they bring a lot of out-of-state money into a state that needs the money badly, so I think they take care of them. Can't risk losing business because some Rep.'s wife and mother fell through a rickety railing! 

(not that I'd mind all that much if Jill the Hideous and David Carrying Baby Elephant tumbled backward into the parking lot.) 

My daughter and I went to a state park on New Year's Day but we never thought to call it a double date.  Also, it never dawned on us to slather on make-up and dress in church clothes for a park outing. But then we were doing some muddy hiking and letting our dogs run themselves silly on the Puget Sound beach.

• Love 19