Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe his head fat all goes into the empty space in his skull that most people have filled up with brains. 

You beat me to it! I was going to say the fat was all on the inside.

If you look at the pictures on her blog, they all just seem to have the one pizza slice at dinner.  Those kids must be hungry all the time.  Notice - David's plate looks like he finished already.  Guess who gets the extra slices on that pan??

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Maybe it's a head's-up for the invited guests, so that anyone who would be offended at the sight of a father dancing with his daughter could stay away.

I think it's more likely as a teaser for the show, to try and drum up viewers for the wedding ep, by offering something different and slightly scandalous for them; no doubt accompanied by all sorts of made up dialog where they pretend like it represents a major modernization of the basic tenets of their faith.  Which it doesn't.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, NotFundie said:

I've been watching the Rodriguii for quite some time now.  At one point, Jill was bragging about how sweet David was.  She was doing a video from the stink RV and mentioned that, frequently when he stopped for gas, he and Jill go inside and they share a snack.  No mention of taking anything back to the captive kids.  I think they always eat first, eat the most, and deny the children extra food.  I hope the deity in whom they believe one day smites them mightily.

It's crazy that food is so scarce in that family, gas station snacks are talked about like they're something extraordinary.

• Love 20
9 hours ago, Temperance said:

Carlin Bates has announced she's going to have a father-daughter with her father Gil Bates. This is a first for a Duggar/Bates kid, as IBLP follows 19th century  Baptist traditions of no bous boos bues boze  booze, and no dancing. I think it's the first dancing at a wedding unless Johan David and Abby danced. 

A father-daughter dance? 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Talky Tina said:

A father-daughter dance? 

I think that's what they mean.  I wasn't sure either when I first read it, but after hearing that the Rodrigues children are dating, I was afraid to ask!!

• Love 17
30 minutes ago, Normades said:

I think that's what they mean.  I wasn't sure either when I first read it, but after hearing that the Rodrigues children are dating, I was afraid to ask!!

I know! I read it as something skeevy as well! It took me a second to realize she meant "dance."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Talky Tina said:

A father-daughter dance? 

Yes I meant dance.

10 hours ago, Temperance said:

Carlin Bates has announced she's going to have a father-daughter [dance] with her father Gil Bates. This is a first for a Duggar/Bates kid, as IBLP follows 19th century  Baptist traditions of no bous boos bues boze  booze, and no dancing. I think it's the first dancing at a wedding unless Johan David and Abby danced. 

I'm sorry I left out a word. It's fixed now. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, laurakaye said:

I normally stay out of this thread because looking at photos of Jill unsettles me in a way that I can't convey in words...but this photo looks like a still from the latest season of American Horror Story or something.  These children aren't right.  Their matching frozen smiles and emaciated necks creep me the heck out.

I agree.  From all her photos, it appears that the children have learned to smile on command.  I hate to think what happened to them when they didn't have their faces arranged "correctly".  Sometimes, all I can see are the sad eyes above the forced smile.  The Rodrigues kids break my heart.  

• Love 20
17 hours ago, Nysha said:

If they had bonnets instead of pincushion hats (great description, @doodlebug !), I would have thought it was an old Holly Hobby outfit of Jill and her sisters from the 1970s.

I wonder if someone gave them a gift card, or maybe gave Nurie or Tim a gift card and they decided to bless their parents with a free meal. Although, I guess if the kids got the gift card Jill would be bragging about them being obedient to God by honoring their parents. Poor kids can't do anything nice just because they love their parents, it all comes back to religion.

The picture with all the children around the table really shows how much Tim has filled out since he started college. He's still very thin, but doesn't look like he's being starved like his siblings.

I noticed that, since he went away to college, Tim's coloring looks much healthier.  At first, I thought it might be a different camera or lighting, but, even in pictures with the rest of the family while he's home on break, he looks far less jaundiced that the other kids.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I normally stay out of this thread because looking at photos of Jill unsettles me in a way that I can't convey in words...but this photo looks like a still from the latest season of American Horror Story or something.  These children aren't right.  Their matching frozen smiles and emaciated necks creep me the heck out.

They all look so hunched and elderly. Bizarrely old-looking for their ages, but socially and emotionally immature. 

6 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Has anyone read about the residents at Gloriavale? They're like isolated fundies in Australia. I got hooked about a week ago and the rabbit hole is so deep...

Oh man, will have to look them up!  

• Love 3
On 1/3/2019 at 12:01 AM, Misslindsey said:

Yeah, it looks like everyone has the same thing on each of their plates, one slice of pizza and some veggies/pickles. The blob of red stuff (possibly ketchup, marinara, hot sauce or something else) looks to be finished on what little we can see of David's plate. Is everyone at the table, because it seems a bit odd that everyone's plates look so untouched and David has already finished part of his portion. It is quite possible I am overthinking it all though.

I thought maybe there were also garlic knots (the suspicious bread-colored knot is especially prominent in the plate to the right of David, which presumably is Jill's); which would make the blob of red stuff likely to be marinara.  There is hot sauce in front of Nurie but I don't think it's the same color as the funk.  I have no answers for the can that looks like whipped cream, unless it is somehow involved with what is in the red Solo cups.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, queenanne said:

I have no answers for the can that looks like whipped cream, unless it is somehow involved with what is in the red Solo cups.

I thought it might be cheez whiz, but I'm not sure.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Has anyone read about the residents at Gloriavale? They're like isolated fundies in Australia. I got hooked about a week ago and the rabbit hole is so deep...

I saw those videos!  Sometimes I forget that other countries have crazy fundies too.  That group gives off a Jim Jones vibe.

9 hours ago, queenanne said:

I thought maybe there were also garlic knots (the suspicious bread-colored knot is especially prominent in the plate to the right of David, which presumably is Jill's); which would make the blob of red stuff likely to be marinara.  There is hot sauce in front of Nurie but I don't think it's the same color as the funk.  I have no answers for the can that looks like whipped cream, unless it is somehow involved with what is in the red Solo cups.

I've been looking at that photo and the one I'm attaching below.  I think you're right.  It might be bread.  The second photo is bothering me a lot.  I can't make out any food on Phillip's plate.  Lately, he's looked very unhappy and I wonder if he's currently Jill"s scapegoat child.  

And Timothy IS looking better.  The kids could be genetically predisposed towards thinness but Tim's healthier look shows that most of that is due to underfeeding.

Rodrigues meal 2.jpg

Edited by NotFundie
Corrected a word.
  • Love 4

What I immediately noticed in the second photo at the table is the lit candle.  Likely pumpkin scented.  I can't deal with scents at all (no perfume on me and my family knows not to wear it), so I would be unable to eat where there was a scented candle in the room.  I once was considering joining a bookclub and went to the first meeting at a woman's house.  She sold Party Lite candles (didn't know before I went to her house) and she must have had three scented candles lit.  I noped right out of there.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, lilwhitelion said:

What I immediately noticed in the second photo at the table is the lit candle.  Likely pumpkin scented.  I can't deal with scents at all (no perfume on me and my family knows not to wear it), so I would be unable to eat where there was a scented candle in the room.  I once was considering joining a bookclub and went to the first meeting at a woman's house.  She sold Party Lite candles (didn't know before I went to her house) and she must have had three scented candles lit.  I noped right out of there.  

I should introduce you to my sister. She is the same way about scents.  I wouldn't dare buy her a candle because of a scent.  Her husband was a firefighter in his past life & saw many fires due to lit candles so definitely no candles for them. (Except the battery run non-scented fake candles.)

The Party Lite candles stirred up pleasant memories for me. Way back in the day my coworkers & I got hooked on Home Interior candles & we must have ordered hundreds of them throughout the years. (I must confess they did have great scents esp the apple & the lilac ones.)  One girl had so many she had to make a special storage area for them. 

Back on topic - The girl sitting at the end of the table in the second picture has the right idea.  Her plate is really loaded,  mostly with items from the veggie tray.  I guess she has learned to load up when she can as she doesn't know when or what her next meal will be.

3 hours ago, Catfin said:

This makes me sad. I have a 15-year-old son, 6’1, 155 lbs, growing in his sleep. He’s healthy and very active. We picked up three large pizzas the other night for the four of us, thinking we’d have lefties for lunch. He ate almost an entire large pepperoni pizza, plus half a bag of baby carrots in a sitting. We still had lefties but he ate most of those for breakfast.  Boys that age have a tapeworm. 

Poor Rodregui kids. 

I have a 25 year old nephew who is like your son.   We recently had a family dinner at a local pizza place. We had 4 large pizzas for nine of us plus a few of us had salads. There was barely a crumb left when we were done but we were full unlike the Rod children I'm sure. 

I can't believe they had just 1 or 2 pizzas for this group. They looked like small pieces too. Pizza is probably a treat for them.  I'm surprised Jill doesn't have the girls make the Chef Boyardee pizza that comes in a box.  (Do they even make that anymore?)  IIRC  when they showed pizza night at the Duggars on 19K & C each child had their own pizza to make & put toppings on. They also showed plenty episodes with boxes & boxes of pizza that JB got a deal on. But that may have been for TV with TLC footing the bill.  

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I should introduce you to my sister. She is the same way about scents.  I wouldn't dare buy her a candle because of a scent.  Her husband was a firefighter in his past life & saw many fires due to lit candles so definitely no candles for them. (Except the battery run non-scented fake candles.)

The Party Lite candles stirred up pleasant memories for me. Way back in the day my coworkers & I got hooked on Home Interior candles & we must have ordered hundreds of them throughout the years. (I must confess they did have great scents esp the apple & the lilac ones.)  One girl had so many she had to make a special storage area for them. 

Back on topic - The girl sitting at the end of the table in the second picture has the right idea.  Her plate is really loaded,  mostly with items from the veggie tray.  I guess she has learned to load up when she can as she doesn't know when or what her next meal will be.

I have a 25 year old nephew who is like your son.   We recently had a family dinner at a local pizza place. We had 4 large pizzas for nine of us plus a few of us had salads. There was barely a crumb left when we were done but we were full unlike the Rod children I'm sure. 

I can't believe they had just 1 or 2 pizzas for this group. They looked like small pieces too. Pizza is probably a treat for them.  I'm surprised Jill doesn't have the girls make the Chef Boyardee pizza that comes in a box.  (Do they even make that anymore?)  IIRC  when they showed pizza night at the Duggars on 19K & C each child had their own pizza to make & put toppings on. They also showed plenty episodes with boxes & boxes of pizza that JB got a deal on. But that may have been for TV with TLC footing the bill.  

I love Party lites and use scented candles all the time, probably because my house smells like Eau de Canine otherwise. I do blow scented candles out for meals, though.

I think they still make Chef Boyardee.  It is also possible to find frozen pizza dough at the big box stores and Costco to make pizza at home for a very reasonable price.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Albanyguy said:

With normal families, yes. With this bunch, I wouldn't be surprised to see Jill post "I bought the ingredients for the kids to make themselves a pizza, but to my astonishment, they brought the finished pizza to David and me and told us that they wanted the two of us to have it because we were such good parents and they wanted to show their appreciation to us! I feel so blessed!"

Hahahahaha!!!!! That is gold!

I can totally see her saying that! 

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

Not only are reborn babies creepy AF, but they're also expensive as hell. Like a few hundred dollars expensive...JillR is screwed in the head. 

Jill was gifted those dolls from the dollmaker, who also seems to have approached Jill and not vice versa. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

Interesting. I wonder why? 

I can't remember except she's a fan of Jill's.  Fundies love those dolls; it goes with the obssessions of pregnancy, big families, babies, quiverfull, the unborn, etc. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

Jill was gifted those dolls from the dollmaker, who also seems to have approached Jill and not vice versa. 

Jill should have sold them then, and gotten some groceries

for her poor starving, scrawny kids.

She could've bought them each a much less pricey baby doll for Christmas with some of that money.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Not only are reborn babies creepy AF, but they're also expensive as hell. Like a few hundred dollars expensive...JillR is screwed in the head. 

14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

There are two pictures.

And once again, Jill's lack of understanding of the English language comes to the fore.  The babies are twins?  With two different mothers?  It's not as bad as referencing the relationship between her two oldest kids in terms of dating and finding a mate, but it ain't good.  It does remind me of the album 'Twin sons of different mothers' by Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg because I am old; but I doubt Jill was referencing that.

As I have said before, those babies are creepy and the mottled appearance of their skin makes them look like stillborns to me.  Interesting that even female baby dolls must have gender approved headgear so they're not mistaken for boys.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

And once again, Jill's lack of understanding of the English language comes to the fore.  The babies are twins?  With two different mothers?  It's not as bad as referencing the relationship between her two oldest kids in terms of dating and finding a mate, but it ain't good.  It does remind me of the album 'Twin sons of different mothers' by Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg because I am old; but I doubt Jill was referencing that.

As I have said before, those babies are creepy and the mottled appearance of their skin makes them look like stillborns to me.  Interesting that even female baby dolls must have gender approved headgear so they're not mistaken for boys.

There are some babies who come with all the extras you'd need to set up a NICU styled scene in your house. It's downright disgusting! 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

There are some babies who come with all the extras you'd need to set up a NICU styled scene in your house. It's downright disgusting! 

I think that could be helpful for parents trying to explain to their other kids why the new baby had to stay in the hospital after Mom was ready to come home.  But I would question why an adult would want such a doll otherwise.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Zahdii said:

I think that could be helpful for parents trying to explain to their other kids why the new baby had to stay in the hospital after Mom was ready to come home.  But I would question why an adult would want such a doll otherwise.

I have not seen any used for this purpose, they are for the purpose of the 'mother' wanting a sick baby for sympathy. 

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

What’s scary is that Jill r probably will try to have another baby. And the dolls have names Joy and Jubilee which were borrowed from the Duggar’s. I see Jill wishes she was on teevee like the Duggar’s.

Good catch. You know she wants to be just like the Duggars and be "famous."

She's sick in the head.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10