Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

49 minutes ago, Normades said:

I think it is all about control.  I can't believe she can't explain to her sister who has the same exact frame of references how she wants the picture to look.  And honestly, if I were writing a book and had an illustrator I trusted, I think I would rather they read the book and draw what they see.  What better way to get an idea of how your audience might picture your story.  I think Sarah probably wants complete control, even over the way her readers interpret her stories.

She is a Maxwell, indeed. 

I expect that Sarah can't help being a Maxwell after her upbringing. But, frankly, if you yourself weren't a little stubborn in that home you'd probably be in even worse shape, so it may be a good thing that she's got some of the Maxwell control stuff in her. 

Nevertheless, even many artists who have their own visions and are employing them on a project use reference photographs. They offer far more DETAIL than what may be in your head for a given subject and they may in fact stimulate much more of your internal vision than you could get by just relying on memory and imagination. Our memory of visual images often isn't all that rich and a real picture in front of you can bring to mind lots of drawing ideas that just relying on visual memory wouldn't produce. Plus, we're not talking Michelangelo here; we're talking a young amateur artist. Reference photos give people ideas very often. They aren't just a crutch for the hopeless. 

• Love 6

Also, trying to picture what it matters that the friend they brought to the supermarket was a nurse... is she sure she didn’t mean ‘nice’?  ‘oh, now that a nurse has asked us to throw some eggs...’?  It’s like a Jilly Muffin story.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Oh boy, JRod has a few new Instagram posts up. It appears DEAR Timothy surprised her and Sweet Nurie with necklaces and cards for Valentine's Day. The one they're both hearts with the word Love on them. Kind of icky to give to your sister. Not to mention, he has other sisters. I wish I was able to post the pictures but am not on the right device at the moment.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, WallStreetDuchess said:

Oh boy, JRod has a few new Instagram posts up. It appears DEAR Timothy surprised her and Sweet Nurie with necklaces and cards for Valentine's Day. The one they're both hearts with the word Love on them. Kind of icky to give to your sister. Not to mention, he has other sisters. I wish I was able to post the pictures but am not on the right device at the moment.

3BD0D67C-FD5B-46DC-BB13-7C29055ACBF4.jpeg

3C8A1628-ABB0-4BED-9EC5-BBB9A453591D.jpeg

rodriguesfamilyservingjesus

We are here in Florida and guess what? We got a package from our precious Timothy ALL the way in Washington State. 💖 He wanted to remember and treat Nurie and I for Valentines Day. 💖💖 Timothy, your thoughtfulness and honoring me (Mom) and your sweet sister for Valentines Day meant SO much! You are going to make such a KIND husband someday! Thank you from the depths of our hearts! 😊 💜 Mama & Nurie

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

We are here in Florida and guess what? We got a package from our precious Timothy ALL the way in Washington State. 💖 He wanted to remember and treat Nurie and I for Valentines Day. 💖💖 Timothy, your thoughtfulness and honoring me (Mom) and your sweet sister for Valentines Day meant SO much! You are going to make such a KIND husband someday! Thank you from the depths of our hearts! 😊 💜 Mama & Nurie

Yeah um no. 

For the record I don’t think it’s weird or odd for a man to acknowledge his Mom or Sister, or Aunts or Nieces on a holiday (like Valentines Day or Mother’s Day). But wouldn’t he have sent a card to ALL the little girls (minus the baby)- kids love mail. The way Jill paints Nurie and Timothy’s relationship is CREEPY. Again, nothing wrong with opposite sex siblings being normal, close, socializing together- but no one (normal) thinks it’s a substitute for a romantic or sexual relationship. YESH!

A relationship with your opposite sex family member is perfectly normal and natural and has nothing to do with waiting on romance or sex. 

• Love 17
54 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

What's with those ghoulish smiles?  They look like an ad for some kind of horror-film spoof or something.

Poor Nurie. Her upbringing relentlessly pushes her to become exactly like her hideous nutso mother. 

And Jill clearly has enough jewelry already. All the more reason to send her a card and use the extra cash to send at least cards and maybe a little fun stuff to his other little sibs as well. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14

It really is odd he didn't send something small for the younger kids. Some candy and mini Valentine cards wouldn't have set him back much at all, and he could have mailed everything in one package.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Aww..too bad we didn't get a barf reaction icon.🤢 😂

• LOL 20
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, WallStreetDuchess said:

Well, yeah, but according to Jill Nurie is the only sister he’s dating. 

While we’re on the topic, what kind of name is Nurie? Did Jill make it up? It’s such an odd choice given that the rest of the kids have relatively normal names.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, McManda said:

How convenient Tim had the foresight to send the Valentine's gifts to Florida. 

I can't with JillR's eyeliner. It's so heavy and waaaay too dark. It ages her so much.

So do the overplucked, almost tadpole eyebrows, which unfortunately she has taught Nuri. 

Edited by Heathen
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Portia said:

It really is odd he didn't send something small for the younger kids. Some candy and mini Valentine cards wouldn't have set him back much at all, and he could have mailed everything in one package.

It's possible that poor Tim lives in fear of his mother's wrath and knows that only a gift for HER (and her Favorite-of-the-Moment, Nurie) would impress her. She wouldn't give a crap about gifts for the younger kids and it might actually make her jealous that all the attention wasn't focused on her.

It's also possible that Jill bought the jewelry herself and signed the cards with Tim's name. Anything to glorify herself and get a bit of attention. I've always thought that all those "I love and miss my blessed Mama" messages that Tim supposedly sends her sound like she wrote them herself.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

It's possible that poor Tim lives in fear of his mother's wrath and knows that only a gift for HER (and her Favorite-of-the-Moment, Nurie) would impress her. She wouldn't give a crap about gifts for the younger kids and it might actually make her jealous that all the attention wasn't focused on her.

It's also possible that Jill bought the jewelry herself and signed the cards with Tim's name. Anything to glorify herself and get a bit of attention. I've always thought that all those "I love and miss my blessed Mama" messages that Tim supposedly sends her sound like she wrote them herself.

Yep, I completely agree. IF Tim sent the stuff, this is why....That's clear from all the other "gifts" she gets from kids who are fasting and while walking 10 miles home from somewhere stop to buy "mama" a giant bouquet of flowers or the like. .....

They're "gifts" the way it's a gift when your angry god demands you throw your first-born child into a volcano (or slay the kid with a knife on a mountaintop). 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Well, yeah, but according to Jill Nurie is the only sister he’s dating. 

Ummm, so hysterical and creepy at the same time..Gave me a good laugh.
I think I would be a little more than creeped out if my brother ever got me anything for Valentine's Day...

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Maybe Timothy did send stuff to the others, but Jill only mentioned her stuff and Nuries because they are the MOST important. 🙂

Edited by beckie
because autocorrect is NOT my friend!
  • Love 13
16 hours ago, Portia said:

Right? Buy a bag of holiday chocolates, even from the Dollar Store and those Valentines made for kids to give to friends.  His younger sibs would've loved it. 

• Love 7

No matter the history, Valentine's Day is recognized as a romantic holiday. Any boy over the age of 10 should not be sending Valentine cards and gifts to his sister and mom. 

While I'm sure their relationships are normal in the platonic sense, it still sets off my creep-o-meter. 

• Love 9

I don't know, I'm an adult and if my adult siblings wanted to buy me candy for Valentine's Day (we don't) I wouldn't object. One, because I know there's no romantic-type love feelings and two, because chocolate and Starburst jellybeans (the best jellybeans) are delicious.

I also plan on taking Valentine's cookies to work that day. But they're not heart shaped and I romantic-type-love none of my coworkers, I just like an excuse to bake and bring in things.

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, McManda said:

I don't know, I'm an adult and if my adult siblings wanted to buy me candy for Valentine's Day (we don't) I wouldn't object. One, because I know there's no romantic-type love feelings and two, because chocolate and Starburst jellybeans (the best jellybeans) are delicious.

I also plan on taking Valentine's cookies to work that day. But they're not heart shaped and I romantic-type-love none of my coworkers, I just like an excuse to bake and bring in things.

Yeah my Mom always gets me a Valentine’s card and versa. I send my great aunt flowers (she’s 84). It’s Jill that’s always twisting perfectly normal things (like a brother and sister hanging out) into something creepy. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, McManda said:

They are. Favorite Reds!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Madtown said:

Ummm, so hysterical and creepy at the same time..Gave me a good laugh.
I think I would be a little more than creeped out if my brother ever got me anything for Valentine's Day...

Me too. Siblings giving each other cute cards and candy wouldn't bother me, but IMO, jewelry is a pretty intimate gift to give someone on Valentine's Day. It's a bit weird, and even weirder in the context of Fundies. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Nurie’s only the favorite because Jill’s desperate to get her married off, though. I’m not sure how she thinks talking about Nurie going on dates with her brother and him sending her jewelry is going to be helpful in that endeavor, because I would think even fundies would find that pretty freaking weird. Unless maybe Jill is giving up on Nurie and intending to turn her into a “stay at home daughter?” If Janessa turns out to have any delays or disabilities, Jill’s not going to be able to cope without help from another adult. If this is the case I expect to start seeing a lot of posts praising the domestic talents of the next-oldest daughter. 

• Love 4

If Tim ever gets married,I'm just wondering who's gong to come first..Jill and Nurie,or his wife? Something tells me it won't be his wife.Mama and sis will get the gifts,flowers and cards if money is tight

• Love 3
On 2/10/2019 at 1:50 PM, McManda said:

I heartily disagree...Jolly Rancher are the best jellybeans hands down!

If I had a brother, maybe getting something for Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be weird.  As a single woman, I would appreciate if he thought enough of me to give me candy (gummy SweetTarts or something similar, but none of that chocolate crap) or a nice bouquet (other than red roses) to acknowledge those of us who get left out on that day. The key is not having a creepy relationship to begin with, not expecting or using it as a substitute for romantic love, and not broadcasting it as it’s not the norm.  

I agree that I hope he sent the rest of his siblings some candy or cards...or a couple boxes of Hamburger Helper.

• Love 7
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:39 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Yes. My Sib Group is enraged about this story and we are following it. 

But i do wonder why are these rapists SO STUPID as to not use a condom in a world where we have dna tests. Do they WANT to get caught after she gives birth?!!

Since he stuck around and voluntarily gave a DNA sample, he seemed to think he might not be the father.  I hate to think that there was more than one male predator in that facility.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Yup, she is due in July. Her wedding was on October 5th.

She won't even be 20 by the time she gives birth. 😕 Only Kendra Duggar will have delivered her first child earlier out of everyone in the Duggar/Bates clans so far.

Press F to pay respects for Josie's "career" ending.

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 17

I guess it isn't totally unexpected, but damn, Josie. You just got your freedom and independence and now you're being sucked right back into the Fundie borg.

I'm not saying there's anything's wrong with having kids, but they're a lot of work and sacrifice. It's almost like these couples are afraid their social circle will think they have a dysfunctional marriage if they're not pregnant a week after their honeymoon. 

• Love 23
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I guess it isn't totally unexpected, but damn, Josie. You just got your freedom and independence and now you're being sucked right back into the Fundie borg.

I'm not saying there's anything's wrong with having kids, but they're a lot of work and sacrifice. It's almost like these couples are afraid their social circle will think they have a dysfunctional marriage if they're not pregnant a week after their honeymoon. 

See to me Josie's "freedom and independence" wasn't the marriage, but the cosmology license. She could have moved out, worked for a while and lived by herself.  

In the fundie world, marriage has nothing to do with freedom and independence.  I'm not against having kids either or marriage for that matter, but  getting married, having babies, taking care of little ones and having no free time for considering your options is less freedom than living single even at home.  Getting rid of the kool-aid that contraception is evil is also hard for people who were raised that way. Josie and Alyssa were the most likely to leave fundiedom imo, and they both got married at 19. If they been living at home for a longer time, they might have just moved out into the real world. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

She won't even be 20 by the time she gives birth. 😕 Only Kendra Duggar will have delivered her first child earlier out of everyone in the Duggar/Bates clans so far.

Press F to pay respects for Josie's "career" ending.

On Instagram, Josie is givng away citrusandlemon, whatever that is.  It sounds like no more real working a real job outside the home, and being yet another influencer!

• Love 4

That's kind of disappointing.  I was hoping they would hold off for a little while, but I guess there's no escaping the programming that has been drilled into them since birth. 

Poor Michaela.  I can only imagine how difficult it is for her to hear that yet another sister is pregnant.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

That's kind of disappointing.  I was hoping they would hold off for a little while, but I guess there's no escaping the programming that has been drilled into them since birth. 

Maybe it's the programming plus the fact that announcing a courtship, engagement or pregnancy is such a fast, sure path to (momentarily) becoming the admired center of attention. And basically the only one they've got or can imagine. .

• Love 4

@Temperance I  also thought of Josie  having her cosmetology license as her freedom.

I hope they chose a 2 bedroom apartment so they can have a nursery.  They were looking at apartments last week on the Bates show  & IIRCJosie commented she only wanted 1 bedroom so they wouldn't have overnite visits from family members. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Poor Michaela.  I can only imagine how difficult it is for her to hear that yet another sister is pregnant.

And not only pregnant, but pregnant within the week of losing her virginity. That has to be a kick in the teeth for Michaela.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

And not only pregnant, but pregnant within the week of losing her virginity. That has to be a kick in the teeth for Michaela.

It seems Michaela has always gotten the short end of the stick. I remember the months upon months of speculation between her and Brandon. I was convinced Brandon was never going to ask her to court. I was very surprised when he did. She got to watch two of her younger sisters get married before she did. They've had multiple children since then. Her other two sisters have a baby/will have a baby.

Plus her parents clearly didn't read the Bible when they initially named her Michel. They re-named her Michael legally because it didn't cost money to change one letter whereas it would cost money to rename her Michaela. Boooooo! Do your research beforehand!

I hope she takes it all in stride but for someone who has probably been the most faithful to IBLP/ATI, she really hasn't been rewarded for it.

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 16