Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

On 1/3/2019 at 8:47 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

The thing which puzzled/amused me most was that in addition to the one slice of pizza on each plate, and what looks to be some pickles and maybe olives there is also one of those containers of the pressurized whipped cream. No other sweets in sight. I can't imagine it goes on the pizza (gag!)...does that mean everyone gets a spritz of whipped cream out of the can for dessert?

I see something that look like chocolate pudding in a bowl. That's the dessert I guess.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Interesting that even female baby dolls must have gender approved headgear so they're not mistaken for boys.

Are these lifelike baby dolls anatomically correct?  Just wondering if the girls had wanted a boy baby doll would that have been off the table due to modesty.  My parents had friends when I was growing up who, as I've looked back on it, must have been fundies.  The mother sewed underwear on the little girl's Barbie dolls so that they could never be naked!  It made it hard to dress the doll and really frustrated me as a kid.  I couldn't understand why the mother did that.  I wonder if any of these Duggars, Bates, Rods, Maxwells, etc. do something similar.  Actually not the Maxwells, we know they aren't allowed to play or have fun.  Seriously, who could be defrauded by a baby doll or Barbie doll??  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Jill could have acknowledged the person who gifted the dolls in the post.

Hahahahaha... snort... hahahahaha. Had she acknowledged the gifter, that would mean she would have the spotlight off of her from a brief moment. Not gonna happen. Nope. 

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Normades said:

Are these lifelike baby dolls anatomically correct?  Just wondering if the girls had wanted a boy baby doll would that have been off the table due to modesty.  My parents had friends when I was growing up who, as I've looked back on it, must have been fundies.  The mother sewed underwear on the little girl's Barbie dolls so that they could never be naked!  It made it hard to dress the doll and really frustrated me as a kid.  I couldn't understand why the mother did that.  I wonder if any of these Duggars, Bates, Rods, Maxwells, etc. do something similar.  Actually not the Maxwells, we know they aren't allowed to play or have fun.  Seriously, who could be defrauded by a baby doll or Barbie doll??  

I wonder if anatomically correct dolls are easier (and more affordable) than they were back when my kids were little? I bought my boys an anatomically correct boy doll to play with back in the eighties.

I had to order it from France, and it was a lot of money. Some of my older relatives thought I was nuts.

They thought that I was "going to physiologically scar them for life" by letting them have a baby doll. They both turned out to be great dads, and both served/are serving in the Marines.

(and my daughter is a retired Army veteran.) 

The people like Jill R. and the Duggars  do all their boys and girls such a disservice by adhering to such rigid gender sterotypes.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:
9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

There are some babies who come with all the extras you'd need to set up a NICU styled scene in your house. It's downright disgusting

My babies all spent time in the NICU,  and my third came home with an oxygen condenser, portable tanks of O2 for travel, a nasal cannula, ng feeding tube, a Kangaroo pump for timed feedings, and a pulse oximeter. The other kids were 4 and 2 at the time, and they were always trying to find ways to play with their dolls that mimicked their baby sister's care. They would use pieces of yarn taped to the dolls faces doe the "tubes". I had to check her tube placement using a syringe and ph paper before feedings, so they would imitate that, too.

Our 4th baby also had a feeding tube, although she didn't require the other equipment. She was cleared to start daycare while she still had the ng tune, and had to do several months of therapy through Early Intervention and speech pathology to learn to swallow without aspiration. I worked at the daycare office, so I took care of all of her feedings, because the teachers were very uncomfortable with the tube feeding. 

I think NICU dolls are a great idea, and it is sad that people use them for other purposes. They  could help families and caregivers in those situations overcome the fear that comes from unfamiliarity. I think it could also inspire children to become future neonatologists or NICU nurses, etc.

• Love 13
On 1/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, Normades said:

Yes they are made anatomically correct. 

• Love 2
On 1/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, Normades said:

I wonder if any of these Duggars, Bates, Rods, Maxwells, etc. do something similar

My great-aunt Katherine, not a Fundie but very Catholic,  collected dolls and I remember she sewed a brassiere for her Mae West doll because she said she couldn't imagine Mae West not wearing a brassiere. Now why she was imagining Mae West in her underwear is a whole other conundrum.

Back in the 1970s they came out with the Joey doll which was Archie Bunker's anatomically correct grandson. I remember my mom enlisting one of her friends to stand guard at a department store while she un-boxed a Joey doll and removed his diaper so she could see for herself and later she survived the great Cabbage Patch hysteria of 1983. There are Joey dolls listed on eBay priced reasonably with the box and accessories. I think people who bought them at the time did so believing they would be collector's items like Billy Beer so there is a lot of Like New out there.

• Love 8

Granted I was born in 1963 and a late bloomer to boot, but I would have loved one of those realistic baby dolls when I was 10. My parents thought I was too old to play with dolls at that age, so I had to make do with 2 beloved stuffed bears that I kept on my bed through high school.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TresGatos said:

My great-aunt Katherine, not a Fundie but very Catholic,  collected dolls and I remember she sewed a brassiere for her Mae West doll because she said she couldn't imagine Mae West not wearing a brassiere. Now why she was imagining Mae West in her underwear is a whole other conundrum.

Back in the 1970s they came out with the Joey doll which was Archie Bunker's anatomically correct grandson. I remember my mom enlisting one of her friends to stand guard at a department store while she un-boxed a Joey doll and removed his diaper so she could see for herself and later she survived the great Cabbage Patch hysteria of 1983. There are Joey dolls listed on eBay priced reasonably with the box and accessories. I think people who bought them at the time did so believing they would be collector's items like Billy Beer so there is a lot of Like New out there.

I remember the Joey dolls! Never got one though. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, TresGatos said:

Hahahaha! The bolded bit would have made me snort wine through my nose if I hadn't just finished my glass. I did cackle out loud, though!

My main thought was that a Mae West doll wouldn't have any sagging issues to necessitate a bra to begin with. 

• Love 4
On 1/4/2019 at 3:41 AM, queenanne said:

A little off topic, but since Mae West was mentioned........

In the early years of the 20th century, Mae West was a student at the elementary school I taught at in Broolyn.  Someone actually stole her "permanent record card".  It would have been fun to have a peek at her grades....

• Love 7

I spent way too much time last evening reading through many posts on the fg Steve and Zsusususu Anderson thread.  Apparently,  the pissing preacher is firing "preachers" left and right.  One pastor, husband to one of the wives on Gently Led Sisters was fired for seeking out prostitutes.  I do feel for the wife, although I've watched enough of her YouTube to know she is a rabid child beater.  She admits spanking first and reasoning later.

The husband is the same "preacher" who praised the Florida nightclub shootings because reprobate sodomites, etc.

• Love 8

Any word on Timmy’s escape return to school?  He looked so healthy and happy in the Christmas pics.  He has put on weight and has good coloring in his face. It appears as if life away from the Rodriguii is suiting him well. 

As far as Christmas Eve dinner goes, I believe that each child received one slice of pizza (with optional topping of spray cheese) and a handful from the pickle platter.  (Prefacing this with the statement that I went back through posts here and on Jill’s blog and could not find the pics of their Christmas Eve dinner for reference). Funny thing is, I don’t remember the kids’ slices being eaten in any way, yet the headship’s plate was empty and dirtied with sauce. So did he eat and whatever was left split among the kids and Jill?  I didn’t see the bowl o pudding so I can’t comment on that part. 

• Love 8

My aunt had a pizza place. I was always intimidated by making one. One day I pulled out a cookbook, read the recipe and made some dough. I was not sure of what I was doing but I decided that I would try.

With that being said, I don't understand how Jill can't make LOTS of pizzas for her brew? You can buy ready made sauce and add whatever ingredients you want. She can surely feed an army if she tried! No child should have to live with tiny plates of food even when you are poor there are lots of ways to make foods that can stretch. How about a bean soup with spinach cooked in a crockpot with seasonings? Simple and harty. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

My aunt had a pizza place. I was always intimidated by making one. One day I pulled out a cookbook, read the recipe and made some dough. I was not sure of what I was doing but I decided that I would try.

With that being said, I don't understand how Jill can't make LOTS of pizzas for her brew? You can buy ready made sauce and add whatever ingredients you want. She can surely feed an army if she tried! No child should have to live with tiny plates of food even when you are poor there are lots of ways to make foods that can stretch. How about a bean soup with spinach cooked in a crockpot with seasonings? Simple and harty. 

Maybe she doesn't want to make a bunch of pizzas because if she bought a lot of flour her disgusting husband might have to get a real job. He's clearly way more important to her than her hungry kids. 

• Love 10
20 hours ago, NotFundie said:

It has also occurred to me that maybe Jill hates how fat David has gotten.  She frequently remarks how nice it is when someone is "slim".  She crowed about how the girls were able to get out of the overturned car because of how slim they were.  And she remarked recently that her mother cooked healthy food and helped them stay slim.  Maybe she is terrified that the kids will end up looking like Big Dave.  

Yes, but in all of those situations the focus is on the weight of girls/women.  Men aren't subjected to being judged based on their weight.  I doubt it even enters Jill's mind that David is overweight.  He (like all men) is entitled to eat as much as he wants and get as large as he wants.  It's the women who need to be judged and punished.  Remember these are the same kind of people who hold females responsible for men's lust.  It's never the fault of men!!  I wonder if any of this is rooted in all women being the evil daughters of Eve?

Edited by Normades
it's girls because all girls are evil, not just one of them.
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, Normades said:

Yes, but in all of those situations the focus is on the weight of girls/women.  Men aren't subjected to being judged based on their weight.  I doubt it even enters Jill's mind that David is overweight.  He (like all men) is entitled to eat as much as he wants and get as large as he wants.  It's the women who need to be judged and punished.  Remember these are the same kind of people who hold females responsible for men's lust.  It's never the fault of men!!  I wonder if any of this is rooted in all women being the evil daughters of Eve?

I think you're probably right, but if true, I find it bizarre she starves her sons equally. I've met some people with really warped ideas about weight and gender, where the daughters were expected to be thin and the boys could be whatever, so it strikes me as odd that Jill doesn't seem to make that distinction. But maybe that's just because of their finances? If they had more money, I wonder if she'd still starve them. I wouldn't put anything past that crazy bitch. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Zella said:

I think you're probably right, but if true, I find it bizarre she starves her sons equally. I've met some people with really warped ideas about weight and gender, where the daughters were expected to be thin and the boys could be whatever, so it strikes me as odd that Jill doesn't seem to make that distinction. But maybe that's just because of their finances? If they had more money, I wonder if she'd still starve them. I wouldn't put anything past that crazy bitch. 

I think with the boys is a combination of money and the fact that Jill sees her boys as a reflection of her.  Can't make mama look bad!  David, as the MAN, is the ruler of the house, so he is allowed to get as large as he pleases.  She may even take joy in his weight by thinking it shows what a great cook and homemaker she is.  These people are really warped and I include the Duggars, Maxwells, Wallers, Bates, Bontragers, etc. in that statement.  So repressive to females.

• Love 16

Bill Gothard lost a lawsuit he filed against some of his accusers (victims) that they should pay him damages and for his legal fees he incured during the previous law suit (a bunch of women were suing him for sexual assault/misconduct). The Judge threw out his suit yesterday, deciding he had no basis to sue the women. 

Bill Gothard  is the founder of IBLP, which the Duggars and the Bates still are involved in. He was removed due to numerous allegations of sexual misconduct and so was his brother. He appeared at least on 19 Kids and Counting and the Duggars/Bates get a lot of their beliefs from him. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, sondraK said:

I wonder if the Duggars and Bates are still devout followers of Gothard? I suspect he still rules behind the scenes.He is like Jesus to them,a false Messiah

Boobchelle still speak at the ATI family conferences, and Gil Bates still sits on the IBLP board of directors. So yeah, they're still following Gothard's teachings. 

• Love 14
On 1/15/2019 at 8:46 PM, Sew Sumi said:
On 1/15/2019 at 7:13 PM, sondraK said:

I wonder if the Duggars and Bates are still devout followers of Gothard? I suspect he still rules behind the scenes.He is like Jesus to them,a false Messiah

Boobchelle still speak at the ATI family conferences, and Gil Bates still sits on the IBLP board of directors. So yeah, they're still following Gothard's teachings. 

They follow Gothard's teachings, but Gil Bates was part of the group the physically kicked Bill Gothard off the property last summer during their big ATI camp out. His teachings are still holy, but he's not.

I think Jill R. deliberately keeps her kids on the edge of unhealthily skinny in order to elicit more sympathy and make it easier to grift money & food from unsuspecting people. 

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I think Jill R. deliberately keeps her kids on the edge of unhealthily skinny in order to elicit more sympathy and make it easier to grift money & food from unsuspecting people. 

I do too. I’ve always thought that. She really is a horrid horrid person. 

• Love 8

So I just saw on Free Jinger that some relative (?) of JillRod had a baby with a brain abnormality.  This person is related to Jill's BIL Foster and sells, yes -- you guessed it ….Plexus!  That's two babies in close proximity from mothers who drink Plexus with medical problems.  I really hope it is not related, but is sure does seem coincidental.  Poor little thing.  I hope he's ok.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

They follow Gothard's teachings, but Gil Bates was part of the group the physically kicked Bill Gothard off the property last summer during their big ATI camp out. 

Wow, I need to learn more about that!!  Sounds like a major event. Why haven’t we heard more about it?

• Love 4
On 1/13/2019 at 11:51 AM, Lady Edith said:

As far as Christmas Eve dinner goes, I believe that each child received one slice of pizza (with optional topping of spray cheese) and a handful from the pickle platter.

OMG is this true? I hope not, because I just let out the biggest cackle ever and I feel terrible for it.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Nysha said:

They follow Gothard's teachings, but Gil Bates was part of the group the physically kicked Bill Gothard off the property last summer during their big ATI camp out. His teachings are still holy, but he's not.

4 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Do tell! I read here all the time and this is the first I'm hearing about it.

There's one pro-Bill account of it here. All about how poor old Bill drove 14 hours and paid the "hundreds of dollars" to register and attend the Big Sandy conference and was swarmed by huge numbers of admirers when he was recognized and then the mean old directors wouldn't talk to him and trapped him into being evicted off the premises by the cops. Yada yada yada. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Nysha said:

Since Gil and the other directors got themselves named as co-defendants (or something...) in a lawsuit (now kaput....) against old Bill, they've had major motive to shoo him away from them and their little ongoing enterprise. Nothing like having your own money tree put at risk to inspire you to turn on the person at the controversy's center (whom you formerly enabled big time) and kick 'em to the curb. lol

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Since Gil and the other directors got themselves named as co-defendants (or something...) in a lawsuit (now kaput....) against old Bill, they've had major motive to shoo him away from them and their little ongoing enterprise. Nothing like having your own money tree put at risk to inspire you to turn on the person at the controversy's center (whom you formerly enabled big time) and kick 'em to the curb. lol

Yep. Follow the power. Follow the money. Almost always a productive line of inquiry.

IIRC a few years ago ATI/IBLP went through what appeared to be financial contractions, offloading some properties, and (I think) moving their HQ to Texas (?). I'm sure the directors don't view Bill as the golden goose anymore. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Plus I don't imagine they'd want to drop back down the totem pole by letting Gothard back in. They'll keep his teachings of course. But don't want to go back to number two or whatever number they were when Gothard was still in charge. On one hand its hilarious to see Gothard get booted by his own board and kicked off the property. But the directors suck too.

• Love 17

I read that article and it says he was cited by an Alert officer.  The citation says Big Sandy PD.  So does that mean this was a police officer who also participates in Alert or have they established their own policing agency there?  

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Normades said:

I read that article and it says he was cited by an Alert officer.  The citation says Big Sandy PD.  So does that mean this was a police officer who also participates in Alert or have they established their own policing agency there?  

I thought there was an Alert officer in the room who quizzed Gothard and when Gothard said whatever they thought would be an admission that he knew he was trespassing, that's when a [real] police officer stepped forward and escorted Bill out. The Alert "officer" and the Big Springs PD officer weren't one and the same person. The citation/report was signed by the Big Springs officer. The Alert "officer" was probably listed as a witness and may have also been listed as the complainant/victim of the criminal trespass. They seem to have Alert guys "policing" the conference - and it's standard for any large conference/convention to have some kind of private security on hand. But they called in the Big Springs PD when it came to any actual criminal citations or forcing Mr. Gothard to leave the premises. So, no, they didn't substitute Alert for the real police.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I thought there was an Alert officer in the room who quizzed Gothard and when Gothard said whatever they thought would be an admission that he knew he was trespassing, that's when a [real] police officer stepped forward and escorted Bill out. The Alert "officer" and the Big Springs PD officer weren't one and the same person. The citation/report was signed by the Big Springs officer. The Alert "officer" was probably listed as a witness and may have also been listed as the complainant/victim of the criminal trespass. They seem to have Alert guys "policing" the conference - and it's standard for any large conference/convention to have some kind of private security on hand. But they called in the Big Springs PD when it came to any actual criminal citations or forcing Mr. Gothard to leave the premises. So, no, they didn't substitute Alert for the real police.

Thanks!  You're right after a reread it appears as you stated.  At first I thought it seemed that they had set up their own mini government.  Of course, they would love to do that!!

• Love 5

Laura Demasie made her Instagram public again. The last few days she attended a trade show in Atlanta. Apparently she is now a sales rep for Accent Decor Inc. Too bad Jana couldn't join, with the following she has she could get work or start some kind of decor business of her own.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Laura Demasie made her Instagram public again. The last few days she attended a trade show in Atlanta. Apparently she is now a sales rep for Accent Decor Inc. Too bad Jana couldn't join, with the following she has she could get work or start some kind of decor business of her own.

Jana, Jessa, and Jinger are attending that G3 conference that is also in Atlanta and Jessa has a picture of Laura at G3 as well. I wonder if Jana went to the decor conference with Laura at the beginning of the week.   Laura also mentions going to the decor conference in Las Vegas and I hope Jana goes and TLC covers. That would be an episode worth watching! 

From Lauras pictures, she’s indistinguishable from any other 20-something plus it seems she has a job!  

• Love 10

Laura Maisie seemed to be the Duggar nanny. She was probably asked to leave or decided to leave, because of the rumors. I'm sorry she is no longer there for Jana. It seems like Jana is either courting, pre-courting or looking for a relationship. It seems likely that the rumors made Jana's family want to change her perception and even more anxious to find her a spouse husband. (Also suddenly why Jana has all new best friends.) I'm glad they get to spend time together this week. (As for Laura, she's always seemed very mainstream for the Duggars.) 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Mojitogirl said:

Jana, Jessa, and Jinger are attending that G3 conference that is also in Atlanta and Jessa has a picture of Laura at G3 as well. I wonder if Jana went to the decor conference with Laura at the beginning of the week.   Laura also mentions going to the decor conference in Las Vegas and I hope Jana goes and TLC covers. That would be an episode worth watching! 

From Lauras pictures, she’s indistinguishable from any other 20-something plus it seems she has a job!  

Interesting what she says in the comments -- Can't quite figure how it squares with her hanging around the TTH for the past couple years or so..... She certainly sidesteps saying anything Duggar related. According to this she's a traveling freelance  professional designer of some kind. Why such a person would be living in the Duggar Dorm at ALL is beyond me. (although of course we know she was raised a Gothardite and ?apparently? persists in it?....)

Also can't tell how she's hooking up with Accent Decor Inc., either, really. Being a designer matches up as to general field, obviously. But they're a wholesale manufacturer, designer and supplier of floral vessels for the floral industry, the events industry, maybe more? ... And they don't appear to be aggressively Christian, either, based on their website. Maybe she's freelance-designing for them in some capacity? Anyway, interesting.

She doesn't seem to be in the same world as the Duggarling women either, really. She's brazenly wearing tightish (by Duggar standards) pants and happily hanging with a bunch of other women doing the same..... Wonder what happened to her alleged shunning-of-her-own-family-because-they'd-stopped-being-IBLP-enough?  IBLP wouldn't approve of the outfits she's in. Or of her apparent freelance career that she seems to say involves extensive solo travel. 

This is a headscratcher, for me.  

masiespace

@mama_sue1 My residence is in Indiana. However, since I do freelance design work, and a variety of other things, I often travel to different locations depending on what projects are happening! It’s nice to be able to bring along a computer and work from anywhere!

mama_sue1

@masiespace you have a really interesting and fun career! I love the work you do for the Duggar weddings and parties!!

masiespace

@mama_sue1 I have a lot of wonderful family, friends, and opportunities, and I’m very grateful!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Interesting what she says in the comments -- Can't quite figure how it squares with her hanging around the TTH for the past couple years or so..... She certainly sidesteps saying anything Duggar related. According to this she's a traveling freelance  professional designer of some kind. Why such a person would be living in the Duggar Dorm at ALL is beyond me. (although of course we know she was raised a Gothardite and ?apparently? persists in it?....)

Also can't tell how she's hooking up with Accent Decor Inc., either, really. Being a designer matches up as to general field, obviously. But they're a wholesale manufacturer, designer and supplier of floral vessels for the floral industry, the events industry, maybe more? ... And they don't appear to be aggressively Christian, either, based on their website. Maybe she's freelance-designing for them in some capacity? Anyway, interesting.

She doesn't seem to be in the same world as the Duggarling women either, really. She's brazenly wearing tightish (by Duggar standards) pants and happily hanging with a bunch of other women doing the same..... Wonder what happened to her alleged shunning-of-her-own-family-because-they'd-stopped-being-IBLP-enough?  IBLP wouldn't approve of the outfit she's in. Or of her apparent freelance career that she appears to claim involves extensive solo travel. 

This is a headscratcher, for me.  

masiespace

@mama_sue1 My residence is in Indiana. However, since I do freelance design work, and a variety of other things, I often travel to different locations depending on what projects are happening! It’s nice to be able to bring along a computer and work from anywhere!

mama_sue1

@masiespace you have a really interesting and fun career! I love the work you do for the Duggar weddings and parties!!

masiespace

@mama_sue1 I have a lot of wonderful family, friends, and opportunities, and I’m very grateful!

Curiouser and curiouser.

• Love 9