Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

How about I just get to use the word “fucker” for the next couple of weeks because that’s the one that REALLY applies today...

I did say “tomorrow’s kabuki clusterfuck” yesterday but it was an accident. Accurate, but accidental.

That sounds like a plan. You can always work your way up. Again, no one here will judge you. And while I have you, do you have any more “fucks” that I may buy? I seem to have used them all up already... 🤷🏼‍♀️

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If someone is watching the news would you please past when this mess is over? I haven't watched the news since the last presidential election because it made me anxious.  I have a feeling I would need medication if I started now.

The capitol is now secure if that helps.

• Love 14
26 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

That sounds like a plan. You can always work your way up. Again, no one here will judge you. And while I have you, do you have any more “fucks” that I may buy? I seem to have used them all up already... 🤷🏼‍♀️

Well, I estimate I have used that word on average twelve times a day. So six days times twelve means I gladly offer you seventy-two free uses. Given everything, that should get you through until maybe noon tomorrow? Maybe.

Hunh. For the first time in my life the expression “I have no more fucks to give” means exactly that. 🤣

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

I was already sad. Today is the anniversary of my sisters sudden death. Now the news is preempting Jeopardy. It’s showing one of Alex’s last shows. I’m stressed because I have to take the cat to the vets tomorrow. They don’t do curbside pick up so I need to mask up and go in. Mind you it begins with fighting them to get into their carriers. All around crappy day. That goodness SunnyBeBe had a birthday to celebrate or I’d call it a total loss. What is Fvck for $400? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CouchTater said:

I'm not one to stress or dwell over things I can't control,  but I can't even take a full, deep breath right now.  I'm so tense and sick from events.  

I am as well. I try and keep the news off because I can't deal right now. My TV is on FETV or insp or dvds. Unfortunately, a couple of my students heard about what was happening, and my husband called and said he was on his way home because he works at the Pentagon and they sent him home. I asked why, and he gave me a synopsis. Ugh. My anxiety is sky high and having to deal with my children and my students and their questions about wtf is going on. Not fun. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 1

What a fucking day (who do I owe for the curse word, lol). I hope all of our ST community is safe and sound, mentally and physically. I'm turning off the news and social media, taking a bath, and then falling asleep to a Bob's Burgers marathon; it's my comfort show and I treated myself to all of the dvds last year. Tomorrow is another day and hopefully a better one.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

So... which one of us gave up saying the word "fuck" for 2021? Just want to say, no worries. I think I have said it in every way possible (fuck, fuckity-fuck, fucking, fucker...) more in the past few hours than you said it in all of 2020. I got it covered.

I’m so glad I didn’t pretend I was giving that up.  I would’ve had no vocabulary all day.  

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

How about I just get to use the word “fucker” for the next couple of weeks because that’s the one that REALLY applies today...

Nope.  No no noooooo.  Do I really have to step in and be the f-bomb police???  You gave them up, and I stepped in a snatched them fair and square.  I’ll sell a couple for the right price, but you can’t afford it.  😜

4 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

It was me...and man, am I challenged right now. 

Sad story.  But because I admire your honesty, I will loan you a good solid “gosh darn it”.  Take it or leave it. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, emma675 said:

What a fucking day (who do I owe for the curse word, lol).

Obviously:  ME

i have gleefully placed all my fucks under my left butt cheek and am hoarding them for awhile.  I’ll post when I’m feeling generous.  Don’t hold your breath.  I have some shit shows for sale if anyone is interested.  

• LOL 16

Using the fuck-o-meter scale, I would say there aren't enough fucks to go around on a day like today. I hereby declare 1/6 National Say Fuck Day.

On a more serious note, thoughts of peace, comfort and hope to any and all who are struggling today.

• Love 19

My youngest son is very sick and we're pretty sure it's Covid.  He's been as careful as possible, but he is surrounded at work by deniers, so it probably was just a matter of time before he was infected.  He was tested Monday but doesn't yet have the results.  My husband and I were tested today and results take four days.  So far we are both feeling fine physically.  Mentally is definitely a different story.  My husband has Parkinson's, and I'm not sure which one of us has more anxiety over the situation.

On Monday, when it was clear our son was sick, I didn't think the week could get any worse.  Then today happened.  Wake me up when spring arrives.  

• Love 1

Thanks to all of you wonderful Small Talkers, especially today. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one ignoring the stress of the news. I've picked up some from info email updates but I have avoided turning on any TV news. I may take some Benadryl and go to bed early. 

I've spent the last few hours getting my new mobile phone and service set up. My new mobile service comes with 12 months of a package deal for free of Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+, and also a year of the new Discovery+ streaming channel. Yep, at no additional charge. And I learned that I don't have to stop my existing subs to Disney+ and Hulu, they just get paid under this bonus deal so my net cost is zero. (I don't much care about ESPN+ but I activated it just for grins.) So I've been setting up that stuff and listening to Joe Kenda narrating some cases on his new show on Discovery+. I find Kenda's voice reassuring. 

And, yes, I'm feeling - fragile. I just don't want to talk to anyone right now. I'm feeling safe at home, and not in big anxiety, but I just want to be quiet here, and finish setting up my phone, put my new coverlet on my bed (it was delivered today and I've washed and dried it), and avoid the Big Bad World out there for tonight. 

ETA: @MonicaM, I'm sorry that your son is sick and that you and your husband have been exposed. I like your idea of just waking up in a couple of months. Somehow I just felt, back in November, that the first couple of months of this year were going to be even more difficult than most of 2020, and it seems that I was right. Pandemic fatigue, more people getting sick and being exposed. And, everything. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Hugs and support to everyone who is feeling extra stressed right now (for whatever reason). We are living in interesting times. We will get through this, not unscarred but unbroken. 

@SunnyBeBe, happy birthday! Many happy returns of the day. giphy.gif

Thank you!   Whinnie was one of my favorites.  Fond memories. I’m having a special meal tomorrow. Just household members.  Salmon, roasted vegetables, rice, slaw, and desert. Not sure if cake or pie.  

• Love 9

I’m so glad I can go to work tomorrow and care for patients and not let the world seep in. It really is an escape from reality for a few hours and a reminder that healthcare workers just keep going and get stuff done regardless of what’s happening. Sometimes you just need that. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, MonicaM said:

My youngest son is very sick and we're pretty sure it's Covid.  He's been as careful as possible, but he is surrounded at work by deniers, so it probably was just a matter of time before he was infected.  He was tested Monday but doesn't yet have the results.  My husband and I were tested today and results take four days.  So far we are both feeling fine physically.  Mentally is definitely a different story.  My husband has Parkinson's, and I'm not sure which one of us has more anxiety over the situation.

On Monday, when it was clear our son was sick, I didn't think the week could get any worse.  Then today happened.  Wake me up when spring arrives.  

I’m so sorry your son is sick. Is he at home or the hospital? 

Im hoping you and your husband stay well. 

• Love 4

MonicaM - having good healing thoughts for your son.  Please keep us updated.

I just had a birthday myself and have been reflecting somewhat about the amount of history that I've witnessed over the past fifty some years.  Moon shots and  landings,  vaguely remembering Woodstock on the news, elections and presidents dying and being in the Rotunda, Watergate, Reagan being shot, Lennon being shot, Tylenol scare, killer bees, SNL, MTV, the whole digital revolution...and then the past year?  What a long strange trip it's been, that's for sure.    

For those of you in the DC area - please be safe.  This is not going to end soon.

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 17
26 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

MonicaM - having good healing thoughts for your son.  Please keep us updated.

I just had a birthday myself and have been reflecting somewhat about the amount of history that I've witnessed over the past fifty some years.  Moon shots and  landings,  vaguely remembering Woodstock on the news, elections and presidents dying and being in the Rotunda, Watergate, Reagan being shot, Lennon being shot, Tylenol scare, killer bees, SNL, MTV, the whole digital revolution...and then the past year?  What a long strange trip it's been, that's for sure.    

For those of you in the DC area - please be safe.  This is not going to end soon.

Happy birthday 🎂 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If someone is watching the news would you please past when this mess is over? I haven't watched the news since the last presidential election because it made me anxious.  I have a feeling I would need medication if I started now.

I’ve taken a few Xanax today.

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was already sad. Today is the anniversary of my sisters sudden death. Now the news is preempting Jeopardy. It’s showing one of Alex’s last shows. I’m stressed because I have to take the cat to the vets tomorrow. They don’t do curbside pick up so I need to mask up and go in. Mind you it begins with fighting them to get into their carriers. All around crappy day. That goodness SunnyBeBe had a birthday to celebrate or I’d call it a total loss. What is Fvck for $400? 

I know! NBC better rebroadcast that Jeopardy episode. It’s breaking my heart.

• Love 12

@Jeeves re your new bed clothes.  Before I read what you’d posted, I woke up this morning and from my gaze down to the end of the bed, my first thiught was “oh yuck”.  I bought my quilty sort of thing about 4 years ago.  It didn’t go NEARLY as long as yours.  (And you know there’s a story).  It’s a muddy tannish khaki color as the base and has beautiful peacock colored embroidery.  I bought it for the embroidery - but it was a comforter and I like “flat” covers so I can wash them.  (More importantly, DRY them).  Took it apart, made it into a quilt, hand quilted it and added borders.  I worked HARD for that sucker.  (The money, my brain sang).  And it’s already looking worn and not vibrant.  It’s my winter cover.  Yes.  I AM that person who changes bedding with the seasons.  I also change menus with seasons and have a friend who smacks me down for that every year.  Other than a hot dog, we don’t eat chili in the summer.  (And I make it different for hot dogs).  No potato soup, bean soup, cheese/broccoli soup, never beef stew in summer.  Or white shoes (or bed covers).  Man, I sound deranged. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
On 1/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, doodlebug said:

I work with the residents in an inner city clinic sometimes and there is a Mickey D's in the parking lot, so I often grab breakfast on the way in,  There is also a Burger King, but I had enough of that when I worked there.  I don't think I've had BK 10 times in the last 40 years.

The Burger King in my town sells kid's meals for $1.99 and gives out cookies instead of toys. If I'm really hungry I'll add a 10 piece chicken nugget for another $1.99. A lot of fast food chains will have a cheap option, but few people want a plain cheese burger on a cheap bun when they can have a double bacon cheese burger on a pretzel bread for $10, extra if you add the fries and pop. That last one is at Wendy's, it tastes awesome but I can only justify paying $10 for a fast food burger once a year.

16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Despite all the misery in the world, I have a lot to be grateful for. I've had so many blessings.  I've made it another year.  Well, almost.  Tomorrow is my BIRTHDAY.  I'm so relieved to have escaped covid, so far.  

@SunnyBeBe I hope you have a great birthday and this next year is filled with joy, peace, and love.

3 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I’m so glad I didn’t pretend I was giving that up.  I would’ve had no vocabulary all day.  

I didn't start swearing regularly until I was 50 and today I think I used up about 20 years of back swear words.

2 hours ago, MonicaM said:

I'm so sorry, @MonicaM. I hope your son gets better quickly and that you and your husband test negative.

• Love 8

@SunnyBeBe, hope you have a lovely birthday today! 🎂🎉

@MonicaM, hoping all your family is ok, and your son feels better.

@CherryMalotte, happy late birthday! You certainly have seen a lot in your days! (I’ve seen more....I’m old. 😏)

@Jeeves, may you find peace and comfort under your coverlet and a little quiet in your day.

It’s late late late on the west coast, but I could not go to sleep until I knew how the day ended. I can go to sleep now feeling at least a little at ease. What a day! Goodnight Small Talk friends.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

It’s my winter cover.  Yes.  I AM that person who changes bedding with the seasons.  I also change menus with seasons and have a friend who smacks me down for that every year.  Other than a hot dog, we don’t eat chili in the summer.  (And I make it different for hot dogs).  No potato soup, bean soup, cheese/broccoli soup, never beef stew in summer.  Or white shoes (or bed covers).  Man, I sound deranged. 

No you don’t! Don’t most ppl do this? It only makes sense with the weather change- you need heavier sheets in the winter. I too don’t eat salad after mid October and no soup between April-September. My taste buds totally change with the seasons. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

I didn't start swearing regularly until I was 50 and today I think I used up about 20 years of back swear words.

Same.  I found it rather freeing turning 50 and apparently my vocabulary feels the same.  I drop a good dozen F-bombs a day now.  It's like they were stored up for years and once they found an outlet, they can't be contained.  I may have used about three years' worth yesterday.

I think turning inward and wanting to be quiet and still and not talk is a defense mechanism when things get overwhelming, and it's a mechanism that I am using already today.  I plan on spending a lot of time this weekend walking solo and reading books, the best ways I know to cope when things feel completely out of control.

• Love 11

Thoughts and prayers for your son and family, @MonicaM.

I hope today is a better day. Wondering how distracted my students are going to be. My kids have been asking questions already today. My husband went to work. I'm more nervous about that than I was when he was deployed and flying combat missions. Ugh. 

• Love 12
16 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I suggest perhaps July or so.  Definitely no news for the next two weeks, but I'd extend it until then just to be sure.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

No you don’t! Don’t most ppl do this? It only makes sense with the weather change- you need heavier sheets in the winter. I too don’t eat salad after mid October and no soup between April-September. My taste buds totally change with the seasons. 

I’m a year ‘round salad girl.  I ADORE salad.  When I have a really good one (mixed greens, cheese, carrots, purple onions, bacon bits, nomnomnomnomnom).  But I can’t imagine looking into a simmering pot of chili or beef stew in July and think “yummmm”.  

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I’m a year ‘round salad girl.  I ADORE salad.  When I have a really good one (mixed greens, cheese, carrots, purple onions, bacon bits, nomnomnomnomnom).  But I can’t imagine looking into a simmering pot of chili or beef stew in July and think “yummmm”.  

I prefer cooked vegetables all year round, but I can enjoy a nice spinach salad in the summer time. In winter- NO, no desire for cold salad. Chili/soup/stew are winter items to me. I will eat oatmeal in the summer, but not as often as I do in the winter.

• Love 4

I can do chili year round (love me some Frito pie), but soups and stews are only for colder months, although I can eat salad anytime. I can also only do Trash (basically a southern, complicated, homemade version of Chex mix) around the holidays. One because it's a freaking pain in the butt to make and two because I think of it as a cold weather/Super Bowl/holiday type food. But it's sooo good. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Happy belated birthday, everyone.

8 hours ago, Love2dance said:

It’s late late late on the west coast, but I could not go to sleep until I knew how the day ended. I can go to sleep now feeling at least a little at ease. What a day! Goodnight Small Talk friends.

Same. I had a hard time going to asleep last night. I'm a night owl with insomnia, anyway, but still. 

• Love 1

Thank you all for so many birthday wishes.  It's going great!  I had flowers (roses with an assortment of other flowers) delivered to my house and they are lovely.  I haven't gotten live flowers in a while.  Lots of friends sending texts with happy wishes.  It's so nice to be remembered.  

I don't think I mentioned it, but I feel really lucky for my health. Despite some issues like Type I diabetes, I'm trying to be proactive with my health.  I actually fell down a few steps at work earlier this week!  Anyway, I hit on hardwood floor from missing third step from the bottom, but had no skin break, no fractures and was barely sore the next day!  I can barely believe it. I hopped up pretty fast too. I wish I had it on video.lol

• Love 13

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum. Political talk of any kind in posts is off-topic and subject to moderation; this includes Small Talk topics. The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. 

Please stay in the spirit of the policy for the benefit of all forum participants.

• Love 1

Happy Birthday, @SunnyBeBe & @CherryMalotte🎂 

I got the results of my bone density test - osteoporosis all over ☹️ I'm on a Calcium/Vitamin D supplement as of today. I'm so glad I work out! My last doc should have caught this, but it is what it is. I'm 65. Mammogram was fine. Lots to be thankful for.

• Love 16

So not too bad today. My students have been behaving ok and not too much talk about yesterday. I guess their parents told them enough to satisfy them. Myself and my 3 had lunch outside on the back deck. They went and had some trampoline and running around time. Such a pretty sunny day, and didn't want to waste all of it. Well, back to it. 2 more hours of class. Got another cup of coffee at the ready. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 15

Well I am back to -100%. O2 level was 80% so back on o2. Back to not walking without a Walker if I  didn't know any better I would think that I had a stroke because my  left leg is dragging. So I will not be able to leave the hospital on  Saturday

Mommyrabittron

Edited by Rabbittron
7 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Well I am back to -100%. O2 level was 80% so back on o2. Back to not walking without a Walker if I  didn't know any better I would think that I had a stroke because my  left leg is dragging. So I will not be able to leave the hospital on  Saturday

Mommyrabittron

Aw, I'm sorry. But better to be on O2 and at 100% than to be without it and go too low. I hope you make progress and they let you go home soon, even if it's not on Saturday. Sending some virtual hugs and virtual recreational beverages of your choice (that don't have to have alcohol, but certainly okay if so). 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Zella said:

LOL My random shower thought for the day just about an hour ago was "I bet Hilaria Baldwin is so happy the news stopped paying attention to her." Guess not! 

I would say the timing was not the best for her. 2020 highlighted many of the inequities of the BIPOC community. That combined with Hilaria only half owning her lies and spouting her cultural appropriation hurt no one, have not gone over well.

I get a chocolate covered 3 year saying they didn't eat the cookie, because saving yourself is instinctive. I even get an a adult initially defending their lie for the same reason. What I don't get is someone holding onto and defending their lie(s), especially when there is proof.

Hilaria had the perfect excuse - youth. And maybe even truth. She was young and dumb when she started her charade and she didn't truly realize what she was doing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4