Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I miss living in Scotland where there was a curry shop (all kinds of Indian food) around most corners. There is only one here in town, but it was passed on to the son when the Dad retired and it hasn’t been the same since. I think it’s closed for the pandemic. I feel your pain @iwantcookies

Just now, iwantcookies said:

The only Indian restaurant near me closed. The food was so good. And it was enough for 2 meals from 1 order. 

I’m so sorry. I love Indian food, but I can make a pretty good channa masala at home. And it’s sad to hear another small business close. 

• Love 4

The Instant Pot is amazing for Indian food. I even make homemade paneer in it!  My favorite dish is palak paneer and I’ve finally gotten mine tasting better than even my favorite restaurant’s. The baingan bharta still has to come from a restaurant, though 🤦🏻‍♀️ I live in a high rise and nothing is getting cooked over an open flame in this house!

• Love 7

Does anyone know the difference between a locked cell phone and and unlocked one? I need to get an unlocked one, but don't know the difference.  I thought all new phones were unlocked. 

8 minutes ago, beckie said:

Does anyone know the difference between a locked cell phone and and unlocked one? I need to get an unlocked one, but don't know the difference.  I thought all new phones were unlocked. 

An unlocked phone doesn’t come attached to a carrier. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

If you buy directly from the phone manufacturer pick unlocked one. This is an example 

D85F65DE-906D-4950-9C0F-3D37FA359AE4.jpeg

22 minutes ago, beckie said:

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, emma675 said:

I think I'm going to have to invest in a proper home office chair now that I'm working from home. I actually have a strong core from swimming and working out, but I've always tended towards neck problems. I'm just a bit of a wobbly head, lol.

I have a couple in my cart online. I need a new one too.  The one I really want is really pricy.  I got my current one at a steal because an office mate ordered it and then didn’t like it. She sat down in it and asked if I wanted it for $100.O0.  She had paid much more. Too much trouble for her to disassemble and return.

Doesn't McDonalds still have the dollar menu? They had basic things for cheap.

If you google on any site put unlocked phones. That means you can pick any service provider and aren’t locked in. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

The only Indian restaurant near me closed. The food was so good. And it was enough for 2 meals from 1 order. 

I decided to get Trader Joe’s frozen Indian food but twice it’s sold out. 

I’m sure other Indian restaurants in Brooklyn deliver? I miss living in a big city where so many restaurants deliver. My favorite is Thai!

1 minute ago, ChiCricket said:

Anyone else here besides me intently watching TV right now?

NOT for any particular reason, mind you....😊

(don't get me in trouble by saying WHY please)

No, but I’m stuck to Facebook and Twitter all damn day.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I’m sure other Indian restaurants in Brooklyn deliver? I miss living in a big city where so many restaurants deliver. My favorite is Thai!

No, but I’m stuck to Facebook and Twitter all damn day.

Oh...I have a tablet on my lap open to Twitter while I watch TV too 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

For once, I'm glad I'm old and retired, and there's nobody that can tell me to go to bed!     

My husband went to bed hours ago...sweet little old geezer.💕 

(he's 5 years older than me, that's why he's a geezer, and I'm not)😁

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

For once, I'm glad I'm old and retired, and there's nobody that can tell me to go to bed!     My husband went to bed hours ago...sweet little old geezer.💕 

(he's 5 years older than me, that's why he's a geezer, and I'm not)😁

I just woke up. Nervously smiling.

• Love 13

Despite all the misery in the world, I have a lot to be grateful for. I've had so many blessings.  I've made it another year.  Well, almost.  Tomorrow is my BIRTHDAY.  I'm so relieved to have escaped covid, so far.  

• Love 18
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

An unlocked phone doesn’t come attached to a carrier. 

9 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

If you buy directly from the phone manufacturer pick unlocked one. This is an example 

D85F65DE-906D-4950-9C0F-3D37FA359AE4.jpeg

Thanks!

• Love 1

Good morning, Small Talkers. It's not quite dawn here, and I'm enjoying my first cup of coffee while I catch up on emails and the discussions here online. @SunnyBeBe, I hope you have a happy birthday tomorrow. @Kbo - your cat is a FINE Mr. Darcy. Such a handsome boy! Thanks for sharing.

I've been updating my personal tech. Last month I replaced my old (6 and 7 years) Mac desktop and laptop with new ones.

Now I'm changing my mobile phone service to a different provider and as I mentioned Monday, getting my current phone replaced (free) because the battery is swelling and causing the back of the phone to bend out. I ended up buying a new unlocked phone for my new service, which is sitting here waiting for the SIM card, and the replacement phone for the current mobile service is also in transit. 

I am almost literally juggling phones right now, lol. Also, I'm selling my old MacBooks to a company in FL. I sent them off at different times (the company pays for UPS shipping). The first was delivered to them yesterday and pending inspection before they send the check; the second is still en route. The holiday weekend def impacted UPS and FedEx deliveries for me.

When the dust settles I expect to have only one mobile phone/number which will be in use on my newly purchased phone. I also expect to sell the replacement phone when I have ended my current ("old") mobile service, and to have banked a couple of checks for my old MacBooks. Kind of a New Year fresh start for my personal tech. I tend to keep things for years, and I hope these new gadgets will be no exception.

Also, I finally noticed that the solid color quilted coverlet (and matching pillow covers) I've had on my bed, are getting a little rough around the edges. I can't even pinpoint how long they have been in use - but it's been at least 18 years! They are cotton, and have been through countless hot water washes. No surprise they're showing their age. I ordered a new coverlet and pillow cover set over the weekend that should be delivered today. 

@emma675 - congratulations on your new bed. I hope you sleep well on it. Also, the office chair is a good idea. 

• Love 9

Almost time to start school.  Adding to the cell phone conversation, if you're just upgrading your phone, you can donate your old one. Make sure you wipe it first of course. 

And I love a fresh hot egg McMuffin. Yummo!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Almost time to start school.  Adding to the cell phone conversation, if you're just upgrading your phone, you can donate your old one. Make sure you wipe it first of course. 

And I love a fresh hot egg McMuffin. Yummo!! 

@QuinnInND - good luck with school today. Have the kids begun to settle down now that the holidays are over?

I have donated phones in the past. But this time, the phone will have enough value that I plan to sell it after I deactivate the old service. 

I agree, it's crucial to wipe old phones (and other tech) before we pass them along by sale or donation. I have my mobile devices (phone and iPad) registered with a service called Lookout (not to be confused with Microsoft's Outlook, lol). I pay for their premium personal plan ($30/year) which has been worth it. You can log on to any computer to find your device, remotely make it scream (if some person has it who shouldn't, that's fun), and you can lock and even wipe the device remotely if it's missing. A few years ago I dropped my smartphone and the screen cracked across. The device was working but the touchscreen function was destroyed by the screen damage. So all I could do was turn it on or off. Sigh.  I checked into the possibility of repair but the guy at the shop told me that replacement screens on that model of phone were often not very functional. 

There I was with a phone that had all my data on it but I couldn't do anything with. Fortunately I could log into my Lookout account from my computer, and remotely wipe all the data off my phone. When I restarted it with the on/off button which still worked fine? It was absolutely wiped and showed the setup screen. I took out the SIM card and sold that sucker for something like $60 on eBay "for parts" with full disclosure of the broken screen. If the buyer thought they were going to harvest my data by buying my phone, they must have been sorely disappointed. Heh. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4

Sunnybebe, happiest of birthdays!!

What a nice morning to wake up, the news made me smile for a change. I was stressed last night and logged out of social media early to get some sleep on my new, comfy bed. Neck still hurts but it's more manageable today.

• Love 11

I've gotten some early birthday presents and so am VERY happy!  More to come tomorrow. Thanks for the birthday wishes. 

I'll be getting my new phone soon and may switch from AT&T.  They just don't have the strong signal where I am most of the time.  Has anyone used PURE TALK?  It's supposed to be just as good as AT&T, yet offer plans for as low as $25.00 per MONTH!  I've read nothing but good reviews. I'm trying to see the downside to it.  You aren't locked in either. You can sign up with your unlocked phone. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Despite all the misery in the world, I have a lot to be grateful for. I've had so many blessings.  I've made it another year.  Well, almost.  Tomorrow is my BIRTHDAY.  I'm so relieved to have escaped covid, so far.  

Happy Birthday!

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

agree, it's crucial to wipe old phones (and other tech) before we pass them along by sale or donation. I have my mobile devices (phone and iPad) registered with a service called Lookout (not to be confused with Microsoft's Outlook, lol). I pay for their premium service which has been worth it. You can log on to any computer to find your device, remotely make it scream (if some person has it who shouldn't, that's fun), and you can wipe the device remotely if it's missing. A few years ago I dropped my smartphone and the screen cracked across. The device was working but the touchscreen function was destroyed by the screen damage. So all I could do was turn it on or off. Sigh.  I checked into the possibility of repair but the guy at the shop told me that replacement screens on that model of phone were often not very functional. 

There I was with a phone that had all my data on it but I couldn't do anything with. Fortunately I could log into my Lookout account from my computer, and remotely wipe all the data off my phone. When I restarted it with the on/off button which still worked fine? It was absolutely wiped and showed the setup screen. I took out the SIM card and sold that sucker for something like $60 on eBay "for parts" with full disclosure of the broken screen. If the buyer thought they were going to harvest my data by buying my phone, they must have been sorely disappointed. Heh. 

I have this function just through iCloud/my Apple ID. if you have apple devices you don't have to pay extra for it, I can wipe, lock, find my device from any other device I am logged into.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've gotten some early birthday presents and so am VERY happy!  More to come tomorrow. Thanks for the birthday wishes. 

I'll be getting my new phone soon and may switch from AT&T.  They just don't have the strong signal where I am most of the time.  Has anyone used PURE TALK?  It's supposed to be just as good as AT&T, yet offer plans for as low as $25.00 per MONTH!  I've read nothing but good reviews. I'm trying to see the downside to it.  You aren't locked in either. You can sign up with your unlocked phone. 

I did a quick search, and it looks like Pure Talk uses the AT&T network. So if AT&T doesn't have a strong signal where you are, then Smart Talk won't either. Here's one recap: https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/pure-talkusa/.

("MVNO" means mobile network virtual operator. These are companies that use the mobile networks actually built and maintained by one or more of the major carriers - AT&T, Sprint/T-Mobile, and Verizon. Sometimes the MVNOs are coy about disclosing which towers (network) they use so it helps to snoop around.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

I did a quick search, and it looks like Pure Talk uses the AT&T network. So if AT&T doesn't have a strong signal where you are, then Smart Talk won't either. Here's one recap: https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/pure-talkusa/.

("MVNO" means mobile network virtual operator. These are companies that use the mobile networks actually built and maintained by one or more of the major carriers - AT&T, Sprint/T-Mobile, and Verizon. Sometimes the MVNOs are coy about disclosing which towers (network) they use so it helps to snoop around.)

I was just about to say that, I would go with a discount carrier that doesnt use At&T towers @SunnyBeBe.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Anyone else here besides me intently watching TV right now?

NOT for any particular reason, mind you....😊

(don't get me in trouble by saying WHY please)

I watched television very closely last evening.  I actually chose a channel that I don't normally watch to see if their coverage of current events was different than the stations I commonly view.  It was a revelation.  Like I was watching TV in an alternate universe.  Even the commercials were WTF. Who knew?

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 2
  • Love 18

REF. the AT&T service.  What is frustrating is that I thought that indoors your WIFII enabled you to get good signal, even if broadband was weak, but that's not happening. It's confusing.  Thing is, I USED to get service there fine. EVEN before I got WIFI.  So, it makes no sense.  

37 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

REF. the AT&T service.  What is frustrating is that I thought that indoors your WIFII enabled you to get good signal, even if broadband was weak, but that's not happening. It's confusing.  Thing is, I USED to get service there fine. EVEN before I got WIFI.  So, it makes no sense.  

That is puzzling, and frustrating. Have you asked AT&T about it? Even as I wrote that I envisioned a customer service call where they fob you off with a non-answer. Sigh.

Have you looked into a signal booster? I don't know much about the technology, and I think some devices marketed as signal boosters are probably junk, but unless you're just unhappy as heck with your current plan, maybe a signal booster could solve the problem.

But if your phone's supposed to benefit from wifi, and it isn't, wouldn't AT&T customer service be able to troubleshoot your issues? (And, again, I envision that non-productive customer service call. Aargh.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

we have the same issue with verizon - have a wifi booster. it does not help. Verizon's explanation is they are moving to 5g so the signal for other things is weak "while they retool cell towers" the cell boosters we can find are only for 4g. what was not said by verizon is they are no longer supporting older phones, they want you to upgrade. Apple is again being sued for slowing down older phones.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Happy Birthday, @SUNNYBEE!

11 hours ago, Kbo said:

A little late here, but with all the pet pictures I have to share one of the silliest things I’ve ever spent money on—and I love it!  Ladies, I present my cat as Mr. Darcy:

653D1733-3010-4F71-8BCA-8CA80E43645F.jpeg

What a handsome Mr Darcy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

So... which one of us gave up saying the word "fuck" for 2021? Just want to say, no worries. I think I have said it in every way possible (fuck, fuckity-fuck, fucking, fucker...) more in the past few hours than you said it in all of 2020. I got it covered.

It was me...and man, am I challenged right now. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I salute you in your endeavor.  I could not give up a word that brings me so much joy in these troubled times.  I am also a Browns fan and have had cause to utter that word every day since Sunday.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Not too late to change your mind. Nobody here would judge you. I think I used up all the “fucks” I bought from you. There is always 2022...

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@SunnyBeBe  🎶 Happy Birthday to you 🎉

008A39AD-E66C-417E-859D-BBE159121663.thumb.jpeg.14f18b83c98f8afc2aba8d6257a56d51.jpeg

How lovely!  Thank you so much!   I love roses!   

My birthday is tomorrow, but I’ve already gotten so many nice things!  I’m going to celebrate all week.  Lol

Last year I went to The Keys with friends.  Sitting on that beautiful beach...I had no idea what was coming.  

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Not too late to change your mind. Nobody here would judge you. I think I used up all the “fucks” I bought from you. There is always 2022...

How about I just get to use the word “fucker” for the next couple of weeks because that’s the one that REALLY applies today...

I did say “tomorrow’s kabuki clusterfuck” yesterday but it was an accident. Accurate, but accidental.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, crazycatlady58 said:

If someone is watching the news would you please past when this mess is over? I haven't watched the news since the last presidential election because it made me anxious.  I have a feeling I would need medication if I started now.

Your instincts are excellent. If I were you, I’d give it 13 days and 15 hours, depending on your time zone.

• Love 16