Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

@MunichNark, YASSSSSSSSS!!!!!!  

my friend once sent me a recording of a song (from a production in Ireland the equivalent of Broadway, best I can remember).  The song was “feck” this and “feck” that until it got right down to “feckity feckity FECK!!”  Hilarious!!

https://youtu.be/CoJEyW8hqrg

Thank you, that made me cackle a lot and I've sent it to my Irish friends who were much amused.

Might I introduce you all to the delights of this: (for the record, if you are familiar with Father Ted, he played Father Jack of "feck" fame)

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

It’s snowing at the moment, which was preceded by freezing rain, and sleet. Being the type that doesn’t like driving in such, I am now 50 minutes early for work. 🤣🤪😂

Hope its all cleaned up before you go home!

• Love 2

Had I not decided to pull myself out of the three PCP offices I support, I would have been getting the vaccine by the end of the month. I felt it wasn't safe for me to continue to work in-office due to my son's and husband's health conditions. These PCP offices are part of a large hospital system. No word on when the vaccines are moving to the next step in my area.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Boston said:

I also enter that.. but.. i'm sure you know if you win.. you get the home, BUT you also get the tax bill.. most people end up going for a cash prize.. or getting the house then selling it 🤫

Oh yeah. I fully intend to sell it. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Can someone tell me how to get in touch with someone who is on primetimer but hasn't been on lately.. I know you can DM.. but if the person isn't on here right now?  I have wanted to get in touch with her for awhile, but was hesitant.. we have the same problem.. but she is talking about it and i am not.. I need some positive words from her.  Thanks.

• Love 3

Happy Birthday @Jynnan tonnix!

@lookeyloo, I'm glad that you were treated so kindly and gently on your birthday. I hope your family comes around to the idea of a pet. The unconditional love of an animal companion, and the busy-ness of caring for them can bring great comfort.

I got a 90 sleep score last night on my SN bed. I really like this bed! I decided to stop having anything to drink after 7pm to cut down on getting up to go to the bathroom. I drink plenty of herbal tea and water throughout the day. 

No resolutions for me this year. Last year I cut out plastic bottles and stuck to it, so that's a habit now. I too was inspired by @Scarlett45 to get back to exercising regularly. Since the ground outside is snow covered and slippery, I started doing a Walk Away the Pounds video and alternating with free weights. I do a yoga stretching routine nearly every day anyway. I miss walking outside, but the snow will melt and the walks will clear. These are not exactly resolutions, rather getting back to where I was before the pandemic hit. I've been on WW for 2-3 years and have been backpedaling since Covid hit. 2020 was a hell of a year! I'm off to a good start health-wise. I saw my doc in the waning days of yucky 2020 and I have a dental hygiene appt., a mammo and bone density scan set for this week. Bloodwork came back perfect, so that's good. 

Have a wonderful day, Small Talkers! Apparently it's Monday, though the last few days have all felt like Sunday to me!

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I got a 90 sleep score last night on my SN bed. I really like this bed! I

BetyBee, I looked at Sleep Number yesterday when I was mattress shopping and I was really interested but the required base wouldn't work with my bed frame. And I love the frame so I wasn't willing to give that up. I went with a Tempurpedic instead, with cooling tech, which I've never tried before. And there is a 120 day trial period where I can exchange it if it doesn't work. I can't wait for February. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Love2dance said:

@Suzn, did you mean “me too,” as in it’s your birthday, too? If so, happy birthday to you, too!

No, sorry I wasn't clear.  I was just adding another Happy Birthday.  😁

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Boston said:

Can someone tell me how to get in touch with someone who is on primetimer but hasn't been on lately.. I know you can DM.. but if the person isn't on here right now?  I have wanted to get in touch with her for awhile, but was hesitant.. we have the same problem.. but she is talking about it and i am not.. I need some positive words from her.  Thanks.

You can use the little tiny envelope at the top to message that person.  Even if they aren’t posting on THIS page they might be lurking or sometimes posting somewhere else.  The private message would be abailable whenever they log in. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

You can use the little tiny envelope at the top to message that person.  Even if they aren’t posting on THIS page they might be lurking or sometimes posting somewhere else.  The private message would be abailable whenever they log in. 

Thank you!

19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wish I lived near you so I could leave an 'abandoned' pet at your door step. That's exactly what we did for my dad, when my mom died. It gave him a reason to get up, a reason to go outside, and some companionship.

I bet every one of us had that same thought.  I know I grinned out loud, thinking I would certainly make sure there was a cute but unfortunately abandoned puppy there tomorrow...

19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

If I may speak for some others, as well as myself, it is an honor that you pop into Small Talk and share your grief with us. The warmest of hugs for you and your family.

This is amazing to me as well.  I do feel honored, and I feel like we all sit up straighter and read more carefully when you talk, @lookeyloo.  Plus I truly understand your hesitation with support groups.  I’ve never been part of one, but just that scenario in my head makes me suffer a little. 

16 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

But Mr Jyn thinks we are too old to get a puppy since there's no guarantee we'll be in good enough shape to handle a dog in another few years, or even to outlive it...I get his point

@Jynnan tonnix, SERIOUSLY???  Maybe I read the numbers wrong, but I thought you said 62.  Not, you know, 92.  

the thing is, I’ve loved so many dogs in my life with all My heart.  I’ve had barely weaned needle teeth monsters chewing pillows, shoes, furniture, ME, carrying my underwear around froM the sorted wash pile.  (I’ve had some crotchless ones expertly created by puppies).  Peeing in the house, creating all manor of havoc. I’ve adopted some with years on them also, but prefer the newbies that are SOOOO INSANE and so much trouble.  I think the puppies (and I’m using “puppy” lightly - but the earlier you can train them to YOUR lifestyle, the better).  Also, you have NO IDEA, Jynnan, how I wish one day you would post something that doesn’t make me want to slap your husband.  [Something like “he listened, we TALKED about it, and I believe he understands my feeings.  Or even:  he brought home a bull mastiff puppy! 🤣].   He just does not get it.  Or you.  He’s not even mine and I’ve mentally flipped him off a billion times.  I lived with that guy for 11 of the worst years in recorded history.  So horrid, I’ve put 11 years of my life in a sock drawer that I never revisit.  We’ve been divorced for - 22? - years (man, I’m old!) and I still am uncomfortable around him (and I talk to stumps, crickets and empty rooms soooo....).  I’m not telling you ANYthing about living your own life.  I’m telling you I feel ya.  

And also (to you and @lookeyloo) get a dog.  Get a dog.  Getadoggetadoggetadog.  Dogs are the most incredibly healing creatures on this planet.  I know it sounds ridiculous and you both are trying to keep the peace.  I respect that.  Get a dog.  They truly, mysteriously, undeniably have magical healing abilities.  I’ve told my children - the day I die you WILL have to deal with the dog(s).  There will be at least one dog in my life.  Probably more. 

Which brings me, somewhat indirectly, back to swearing.  I don’t swear as much as I pretend to.  I “could” but I’m truly not all THAT salty.  In her very waning years, my mother (Alzheimer’s) lost her filter and began to swear with great dart-like proficiency.  I’m 9 years down from my oldest bro who says he doesn’t remember her ever talking ugly.  She must have relaxed with age because I certainly remember her talking ugly.  I said (near the end) “GUH, Mama!!!  You have such potty mouth” and NO volume control.  She laughed and said “shoot, you should hear what rattles around in here that never gets out!!”  Mama had SALT.

• LOL 6
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I suspect the Emperor Claudius would be ill-suited to support dog work. . . .

He has rather inflated ideas about his place in the world. 🙃

They are clearly justified. What a cute face and a regally confident expression! ❤️

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

They are clearly justified. What a cute face and a regally confident expression! ❤️

Thank you! I think he's pretty grand, and I wish I had his tremendous self-confidence! 😄 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6

I would love to post a picture of my granddog, but I don't know how to post here without possibly giving up my real life self.

She is a little dream. One thing I noticed from looking at the many pet pictures on here is our granddog thinks she's human. She never relaxes on the floor. She will sit on the floor to alert us that she needs to go out, or needs more food or water. She will sit on the floor when commanded, to receive a reward of table scraps. Other than that she is in someone's lap or on a piece of furniture.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I would love to post a picture of my granddog, but I don't know how to post here without possibly giving up my real life self.

She is a little dream. One thing I noticed from looking at the many pet pictures on here is our granddog thinks she's human. She never relaxes of the floor. She will sit on the floor to alert us that she needs to go out, or needs more food or water. She will sit on the floor when commanded, to receive a reward of table scraps. Other than that she is in someone's lap or on a piece of furniture.

Haha Claudius usually sits on a couch or a lap on a stolen blanket. (He has literally claimed every blanket, quilt, afghan in the house as his own.) But the floor there is right in front of the wood stove, so he treats it like his own personal heater in the winter! 

• Love 8

Thanks Griffey, Pete and Claudius!  There is absolutely nothing I'd rather see than an adorable doggie...unless maybe a kitty.  I love them all.  I couldn't live without pets.

• Love 9

Instead of a New Years Resolution, I try and pick something like read all the Jane Austen books or learn something new about each US President. This year I am going to read one nonfiction book a month. I read a lot but stick to mystery or chick lit. I find it easier than trying to lose weight or exercise more, lol.

• Love 12

I love seeing everyone’s pets! Here’s Miss Portia ❤️

D4DC6176-3BE1-497A-B4BB-2F5342060D9D.jpeg

That photo is from sometime this week — she must have been begging for something, that’s her Oliver Twist, “please sir, I want some more!” expression 😂 

Edited by rue721
  • Love 19
8 minutes ago, rue721 said:

That photo is from sometime this week — she must have been begging for something, that’s her Oliver Twist, “please sir, I want some more!” expression 😂 

What a cutie! I absolutely love your rug, too.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Oh, pretty, pretty Portia.  The begging surely works!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Oh yeah. I fully intend to sell it. 

same here. i plan to sell it, then buy a house in texas where i can afford to pay cash and then enjoy the leftovers doing nice things for people and playing with the grandkids!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ozziemom said:

Instead of a New Years Resolution, I try and pick something like read all the Jane Austen books or learn something new about each US President. This year I am going to read one nonfiction book a month. I read a lot but stick to mystery or chick lit. I find it easier than trying to lose weight or exercise more, lol.

funny you should say that. just yesterday i got a 4-books-in-one huge thing with 4 jane austen classics . i have never read them.  i am a voracious reader but tend to stick to light fiction and christian authors.  this is a step out of the box for me. it will be the next book after i finish what i am reading now. 

• Love 6
On 1/2/2021 at 11:08 AM, Oldernowiser said:

@Jynnan tonnix, that’s lovely. And you’re an artist??? How cool is that? 

I’m 62 as well. It’s not so bad...if you don’t count how every morning starts with “so, what new thing hurts today?”

I’ve been watching some of Dr. Robert Lustig’s lectures on Youtube about sugar. They’re quite fascinating because for so many years we’ve been hammered about how all calories are the same and if we were all just more self-disciplined and exercised more we’d all look like whippets. Not true. Our bodies metabolize starch, sugar and alcohol by different pathways and it all leads to more visceral fat, according to Lustig‘s research. So you can be thin on the outside and still have a ton of unhealthy visceral fat, while you can be fat on the outside and if it’s only subcutaneous fat, it’s not as likely to make you ill. Fascinating. Especially when you look at the invention of high-fructose corn syrup and how that correlates with the rise of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, not just in America, but around the world as they have adopted our diet and processed foods.

Anyway, the lectures are really interesting if you’re at all a medical science geek like I am. He’s a board-certified endocrinologist who spent much of his clinical career working with diabetic children. 

ETA: Here’s his most-watched video on Youtube....12 million views!

Sugar...the Bitter Truth

@Oldernowiser, thanks for the link to this video. I just finished it - really interesting!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I love Shih Tzus. When I was a tech we had the sweetest shih tzu come in who had demodectic mange which had been misdiagnosed and treated with prednisone, so she had a raging secondary bacterial infection on top of it. She came in every Friday for eight weeks for mange treatments, which involved me bathing her, gently removing the scabs, coating her with nasty-smelling medication and then bathing her again. She should have hated it, but she was sooo sweet. Her owner would open the front door, set her down and that little dog would come racing to find me with her whole body wiggling.  
Oh and we cured the mange!

Your Jasper sounds wonderful. I hope you meet again someday.

My step mom has a shih tzu. Her name is Breezy and she was the runt of her litter. She and my dad were super close and even though my dad had been living in an assisted living center when he passed, Breezy still knew he was gone. 

When I was there for his funeral the poor thing wandered the house looking for him with this confused look on her face. My step mom said it wasn't true,  because he hadn't been there in a while,  but she knew.  I know she did. It broke my heart. 

10 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

It’s funny, I don’t have that tiny envelope!  And on this forum only, I don’t see the shield symbol for moderators!  On other forms I do!  

2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

@beckie, how are things going?

Stressful. Hubby got out of jail earlier this week, but he's not allowed back here so he had to find somewhere else to go. It was a huge surprise,  even for him,  because he wasn't expecting anything until mid-January. 

I've agreed, stupidly maybe, to let him come back (when he's allowed), because I do love him and I really want my marriage to work.  He's agreed to stop the stuff he was doing before,  so we'll see. He knows if he does it again  that were done for good.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, Happyfatchick said:

Get a dog.  Getadoggetadoggetadog.  Dogs are the most incredibly healing creatures on this planet.

I just have to say, not everyone is a dog person. And just like being a parent, I think all of the people who live in the home should agree on getting a dog before they get one.

Dogs are loving, emotional beings and it's so bad when people just decide they dont want them anymore.

That's how we ended up with our chihuahua, Paloma Azul ( Blue Dove in English)

Her people had their first baby, and then they didn't want her anymore. After years of treating her like their baby, and spoiling the heck out of her, they literally locked her in a spare closet. They never let her out of it.😭

She had to pee,poop, eat and sleep in that closet for almost TWO YEARS!

(they didn't want her around "the baby.")

They never let her out, just changed the newspapers they put in there when they got soiled. If I thought hell existed, that's where they should end up. 😡 

Sooo we've had her about 10 years..and she loves everyone in my family. She is always glued to my husband's side...she loves him so much.

He won't admit it, but he loves her too. (He mixes up special food for her everyday, and then warms it up for her in the microwave)

Here is the kicker...She hates my guts, and has never let me touch her without trying to bite my fingers off!

She's been this way since the day we got her, and we don't know why.

I have been (and still am) very nice to her...always. I've done everything our vet and a dog trainer said to try, and she still loathes me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ps her original name was Azul (blue) I don't know why they named her that. When my husband met her, he said he thought she looked more like a Paloma (dove)🤔 and that name stuck.  Then we made her original name her middle name.

I always give my pets middle names...just me?  😁 

Pps I want a kitty (maybe two!) but my husband wants to wait until Paloma dies first.  (She'll probably outlive me on purpose, so she can have my husband to herself!)😂

OH! And that's my sister holding her in this picture..I could never dare to hold her. I need all my digits.🙃 

(my sister was about to cut her nails for me)💗

FB_IMG_1609753720389.jpg

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
16 hours ago, Zella said:

I suspect the Emperor Claudius would be ill-suited to support dog work. . . .

He has rather inflated ideas about his place in the world. 🙃

81494506_10214658967222058_4391580837271

Chip understands where Claudius is coming from...

Doodles.jpg

• Love 17

@ChiCricket, that is one of my pet (pun intended) peeves - when a couple loses interest in their dog after having a baby. Paloma's people took it to a hateful level, locking the poor dog up for two years. Bless you for rescuing her from those monsters!

• Love 20

Good morning everyone. It FEELS like the holidays are over doesnt it? I took down the outdoor decorations yesterday, and I will start on my indoor decorations after Wednesday, I still need to wrap the rest of my sister's bday gifts, but truth be told I may put the things that arent wrapped in a Disney reusable gift bag and call it a day (she loves reusable bags so that would be a part of the gift too).

In somewhat holiday related news, the electrician built my outdoor outlet underneath the gutter, and it drips, so when there is heavy precipitation the safety triggers and I have NO xmas lights, I put a heavy duty plastic bag over the outlet to keep it dry because I wanted my lights, but that didnt work. Yes I will build a PROPER cover for it this spring so my lights don't cut out when the heavy snow/frozen rain comes! But we didnt have much bad weather this December so I got to keep my lights for a good long while.

I love my new 2021 calendars. Choosing a calendar is a big deal because you have to look at it all year. I normally have a tea pot calendar in the office, which is the only thing I left that I wish I brought home, so I have one now next to my at home desk, and in the kitchen I have a Disney Thomas Kincade calendar. Life is good.

• Love 14

@ChiCricket I wonder if the person who changed out her newspapers was female and associates been locked in the closet with women. Poor baby girl. Yes, dogs take so much work, I would not suggest getting a dog unless everyone in the household agrees.

On New Year's Eve my Godmother (bile duct cancer, she asked me to take her dog Cosmo) gave me a call to give me all of the details on her dog- he food he eats, his vet, his vaccination schedule, how to deal with him and thunder....Most of which I knew but it was damn sad, and of course I just let her talk. I do respect how she has been meticulous with having her affairs in order before she is too sick to do anything, but things are not looking good. She LOVES Cosmo so much, it means a lot to me that she would trust me with him. Hopefully that isnt for a good long while but she is preparing.

10 hours ago, beckie said:

Stressful. Hubby got out of jail earlier this week, but he's not allowed back here so he had to find somewhere else to go. It was a huge surprise,  even for him,  because he wasn't expecting anything until mid-January. 

I've agreed, stupidly maybe, to let him come back (when he's allowed), because I do love him and I really want my marriage to work.  He's agreed to stop the stuff he was doing before,  so we'll see. He knows if he does it again  that were done for good.

Please, please be careful. Have a bag packed with all of your important papers in it, medications, etc. You have talked to the Domestic Violence resources in your area, yes? Put their contact info in your phone and always keep your phone with you.

I really hope things work out for you. But choking is the single strongest warning sign before domestic homicide. Be safe, okay? First time your gut tells you something isn’t right, get out.

Wishing you well...

• Love 22
5 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I just have to say, not everyone is a dog person. And just like being a parent, I think all of the people who live in the home should agree on getting a dog before they get one.

Dogs are loving, emotional beings and it's so bad when people just decide they dont want them anymore.

That's how we ended up with our chihuahua, Paloma Azul ( Blue Dove in English)

Her people had their first baby, and then they didn't want her anymore. After years of treating her like their baby, and spoiling the heck out of her, they literally locked her in a spare closet. They never let her out of it.😭

She had to pee,poop, eat and sleep in that closet for almost TWO YEARS!

(they didn't want her around "the baby.")

They never let her out, just changed the newspapers they put in there when they got soiled. If I thought hell existed, that's where they should end up. 😡 

Sooo we've had her about 10 years..and she loves everyone in my family. She is always glued to my husband side...She loves him so much.

He won't admit it, but he loves her too. (He mixes up special food for her everyday, and then warms it up for her in the microwave)

Here is the kicker...She hates my guts, and has never let me touch her without trying to bite my fingers off!

She's been this way since the day we got her, and we don't know why.

I have been (and still am) very nice to her...always. I've done everything our vet and a dog trainer said to try, and she still loathes me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ps her original name was Azul (blue) I don't know why they named her that. When my husband met her, he said he thought she looked more like a Paloma (dove)🤔 and that name struck.  Then we made her original name her middle name.

I always give my pets middle names...just me?  😁 

Pps I want a kitty (maybe two!) but my husband wants to wait until Paloma dies first.  (She'll probably outlive me on purpose, so she can have my husband to herself!)😂

OH! And that's my sister holding her in this picture..I could never dare to hold her. I need all my digits.🙃 

(my sister was about to cut her nails for me)💗

FB_IMG_1609753720389.jpg

What horrible torture Paloma Azul suffered.  I can't begin to understand how someone can do that to a dog and to make it more incomprehensible, they apparently cared about her for a while.  I guess she was an object to them, not a sentient feeling creature.  I am so glad you rescued her and have given her a good life.

I do middle names and last names for my pets.  My "fanciest" one was for a kitty who is now gone - he was Felix Aloysius Boudreaux.  He came to me as only Felix but he deserved a bigger name.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

@ChiCricket, that is one of my pet (pun intended) peeves - when a couple loses interest in their dog after having a baby. Paloma's people took it to a hateful level, locking the poor dog up for two years. Bless you for rescuing her from those monsters!

When I worked at the shelter we heard it ALL THE TIME. People used a dog as a practice baby, had a real baby, and dumped the dog because “we have no time for the dog.” Grrr.

But surrendering it is a whole lot better that shutting it in a closet. Jesus. Although maybe the dog was a biter before...some dogs just are. As much as I love them, there are dogs that just aren’t right. But owners need to step up.

And while I’m on my soapbox, owning a dog is life-changing, both for good and bad. People really need to understand what’s required and whether they can meet a dog’s needs before they get one. I am very concerned that in life post-Covid, too many people who adopted dogs during lockdown are going to return to normal life and end up surrendering the dogs again.

• Love 5