Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, beckie said:

Anybody here like Harlequin romances? I'm asking because my aunt writes for them and has a new trilogy coming! The first book is already out, the second will be in March and the third later in the year! 

Cool! What's her penname?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, beckie said:

Anybody here like Harlequin romances? I'm asking because my aunt writes for them and has a new trilogy coming! The first book is already out, the second will be in March and the third later in the year! 

I have not read any Harlequin romances but thats really amazing for your Aunt! I know youre so proud.

• Love 5
Just now, Scarlett45 said:

I have not read any Harlequin romances but thats really amazing for your Aunt! I know youre so proud.

I don't usually read them either, but hers I do! She's written for them before a long time ago and then wasn't writing at all for a long time.  Then she surprised us by announcing she was writing again and had the trilogy coming out.

• Love 9

Just one more post on music from me.  I love Country and the CMA Awards show!

My favorite group is Little Big Town.   The year they sang Wichita Lineman I could not get enough of it.  I hummed and played it over and over on YouTube!

My other very favorite CMA Award show performance was Carrie Underwood and Steven Tyler singing and performing Walk This Way!  That was a performance!!!

Speaking of music my daughter was telling me about something you buy, plug in and that you speak to and it plays your chosen song.  Anybody have any experience with that?

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’ve never heard of this. Could please explain this to me? 

Edited to add: It reminds me of when people used to play the Beatles backwards to get a hidden meaning. 

Fans refer to it as The Dark Side of the Rainbow.

You need to have the album or CD as well as a copy of The Wizard of Oz.  Start playing the DVD and, when the MGM lion roars at the start of the film, press play on Dark Side of the Moon.  Make sure you turn the sound off on the movie and just listen to Pink Floyd.  It is freaky!  The scenes in the movie sync up perfectly with the cuts on the album and, if you listen to the lyrics, they seem like they're commenting on the film.

Pink Floyd has denied that any of this happened on purpose, but it is positively bizarre.  They align perfectly. As I recall, just as Dorothy opens her eyes after landing in Munchkinland, the song "Money' starts.  At the end of the movie, when she's back in Kansas, right as the wizard pokes his head through the window, the lyrics are 'Home.  Home again'.  A bunch of weird stuff like that all through it.  The album is virtually the same length as the film.

This article has a link to a YouTube video where someone has done the work for you.  It's like smoking weed in the '70's all over again:

https://www.monsterchildren.com/watch-the-dark-side-of-the-rainbow/

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 5
  • Love 7

I started college in 1984. My favorite album/movie soundtrack in those years was Purple Rain, which had just come out. It is still probably my all time favorite and Prince is still probably my favorite artist. I’m still saddened by his death. He was such a brilliant musician, IMO. 

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, EVS said:

I started college in 1984. My favorite album/movie soundtrack in those years was Purple Rain, which had just come out. It is still probably my all time favorite and Prince is still probably my favorite artist. I’m still saddened by his death. He was such a brilliant musician, IMO. 

Absolutely!

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, EVS said:

Prince is one person I wish I'd seen live.  I hear his shows were superb. I posted his version of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony a while back and it is sensational.

• Love 10
Just now, doodlebug said:

Prince is one person I wish I'd seen live.  I hear his shows were superb. I posted his version of 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony a while back and it is sensational.

I would have given anything to see him live!  I’ll look for that post. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Just one more post on music from me.  I love Country and the CMA Awards show!

My favorite group is Little Big Town.   The year they sang Wichita Lineman I could not get enough of it.  I hummed and played it over and over on YouTube!

My other very favorite CMA Award show performance was Carrie Underwood and Steven Tyler singing and performing Walk This Way!  That was a performance!!!

Speaking of music my daughter was telling me about something you buy, plug in and that you speak to and it plays your chosen song.  Anybody have any experience with that?

Do you mean something like Alexa? My son has one and when I babysit I just say "Alexa, play kid's music". I have also asked for a specific song, but mostly things like "Elmo's song" and "Wheels on the bus" . 😆

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

Do you mean something like Alexa? My son has one and when I babysit I just say "Alexa, play kid's music". I have also asked for a specific song, but mostly things like "Elmo's song" and "Wheels on the bus" . 😆

What I think is funny is when my godbaby says “Play Idina Menzel” it plays songs from the Frozen soundtrack!! It cracks me up! I’m sure if I had an Alexa and said “Play Idina Menzel” it would play Defying Gravity or The Tango Maureen rather than Let It Go or Into the Unknown. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Grateful Dead, Charlie Daniels, James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Beach Boys, Journey, Aerosmith, Jethro Tull, ZZ Top, Lionel Richie, Wille Nelson, Bob Marley, Adam Ant, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Queen, Stones, The Doors, Rush, Elton John, Springsteen , Allman Brothers,  ..............I’ll stop now, my brain is done!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

He was fabulous in concert!! 

Let's see. Eagles, Joe Walsh, Prince, 3 Doors Down, Elton John, Meatloaf, Van Halen (Eddie Van Halen dying tore my heart out.. I'm still sad about it. And David Lee Roth is a prick, but I digress) Taylor Swift, Journey.. I love 70s and 80s music. I was born 20 years too late. 

Just now, QuinnInND said:

He was fabulous in concert!! 

Let's see. Eagles, Joe Walsh, Prince, 3 Doors Down, Elton John, Meatloaf, Van Halen (Eddie Van Halen dying tore my heart out.. I'm still sad about it. And David Lee Roth is a prick, but I digress) Taylor Swift, Journey, Queen Aerosmith, ZZ Top.. I love 70s and 80s music. I was born 20 years too late. 

• Love 8

I like just about everything from classical to death metal, excepting modern country. I could NEVER make a list of favorites, but I did have something like 5 copies of the Pretenders first album in my possession at one time. Sadly, I got rid of all my vinyl. I'm kicking myself now. 

• Love 9

My favorite musicians are usually of the indie/alternative/singer/songwriter sort. I do sometimes enjoy songs from other bands/musicians. It just depends what clicks with me. I do love musical theater so I gravitate toward cast recordings as well.

My favorite musician, that I go see anytime he is in town, is Glen Hansard. He is fantastic live and tells some great stories. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I wanted to see him live when I was in high school but my parents wouldn’t allow it. I’m still angry about it! 😆

• LOL 5

Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Meatloaf, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Neil Diamond, Bob Seger, Van Morrison, Elton John, Peter Gabriel, Bob Dylan, U2, Steve Miller Band,Tom Petty, George Michael, The Wings.  I like a lot of music from the sixties and seventies, such as The Hollies, Carole King, Carly Simon, etc. When music was music, and not just noise.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, realityfan26 said:

Yes I think that's it!  I wonder how complicated it would be to install.  I think I'd love something like that!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Any of you get Amazon Music Unlimited. I think there’s a free trial right now.  I love Amazon Music.   

I love it, too.  All I have to do is tell Alexa I want to hear a specific artist or song and, within seconds, there it is!  Alexa can even find songs if all you remember are a few words.  Just ask her what song has the lyrics, "ABCD" and she'll search and tell you,  I've found plenty of songs I'd only heard on the radio and didn't know the artist or title that way.

Alexa will also play genres if that's what you want.  'Play some Motown' or 'Play some classic country" are two of my faves.

When it comes to country music, I'm more of a classicist.  Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, etc are my jam.

5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Yes I think that's it!  I wonder how complicated it would be to install.  I think I'd love something like that!

Alexa is simple to install.  Amazon practically does it for you.  You buy the device and it walks you through the process.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Hi everyone! Formerly PinkyCupcake here (I was young lol). I'm more of a lurker in general, but just wanted to say I hope 2021 will be a better year for all of us. My thoughts are with all of you facing struggles of any kind and/or losses 🤍

Love the music talk! My main genres are pop, R&B and electronic, but I also enjoy hip hop, classical, country, blues, and some rock and metal (especially punk and industrial).

I know electronic music is often looked down on. Now, is there mediocre electronic music? Absolutely, just like with any other genres. But there is also great electronic music out there, and it does take talent to produce it.

I love ‘’textures’’ and sounds, and the way they can be used in electronic music to tell a story and create various atmospheres.

Favorite albums is a tough one, but for favorite artists I’d say Andy Stott, Hot Chip, Gesaffelstein, A Tribe Called Red (electronic + First Nations music!), Ariana Grande and Dua Lipa, among others.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I love it, too.  All I have to do is tell Alexa I want to hear a specific artist or song and, within seconds, there it is!  Alexa can even find songs if all you remember are a few words.  Just ask her what song has the lyrics, "ABCD" and she'll search and tell you,  I've found plenty of songs I'd only heard on the radio and didn't know the artist or title that way.

Alexa will also play genres if that's what you want.  'Play some Motown' or 'Play some classic country" are two of my faves.

When it comes to country music, I'm more of a classicist.  Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, etc are my jam.

Alexa is simple to install.  Amazon practically does it for you.  You buy the device and it walks you through the process.  

Interesting.  I have a glance yesterday and it seemed complicated to this non tech lady.  I'll have to take another look!  Thank you.

44 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Good news Tuesday!  I just got the most exciting invitation since I was asked to the prom in 1975!  The heading on the email I got today? " You are Eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine".  Yay, me!  Getting it tomorrow afternoon, not a moment too soon.

Congratulations! My husband works in a hospital and got his first dose of the Moderna vaccine a few days after Christmas. Best present ever. He was exposed to the virus shortly before Christmas and thankfully did not come down with it, and I hope those types of scares will be a distant memory soon. He had a sore arm after his dose, similar to a tetanus shot, but nothing much more than that.  I hope yours has minimal side effects as well! Three cheers for science.

• Love 12

It was a year ago today that my daddy passed away. I know he's gone, but I still find myself really wanting to talk to him, or telling myself to call him, then I have to remind myself that I can't do that anymore. 

It doesn't feel like he's been gone all that long. I really miss him.

11 minutes ago, beckie said:

It was a year ago today that my daddy passed away. I know he's gone, but I still find myself really wanting to talk to him, or telling myself to call him, then I have to remind myself that I can't do that anymore. 

Oh Beckie I am so sorry. I know it hurts, a year is not really that long in the grand scheme of things. He was lucky to have a daughter that loved him as much as you did. Ghost Hug GIF

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, beckie said:

😞😞 ((((hugs))) 

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, beckie said:

My mom been gone 3 years. I know how you feel. I just want to hug her and hear her voice. 

Big hug from me.

• Love 10

@beckie, I'm so sorry about your dad. I was surprised at how hard the first year anniversary of a parent's passing hit me. I'd heard of it but was still surprised at how bad that day was. Also sending virtual hugs. Our loved ones live in our hearts but that's not much comfort when you are missing their company. 

• Love 8

I love the 90s and early 2000s grunge/alternative, so my favorite bands and artists include R.E.M., Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Alanis Morrisette, Jewel, Lisa Loeb, Smash Mouth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Live, Hole, the Cranberries, and Evanescence. I also appreciate the earlier classic rock such as Queen and Led Zeppelin.

But I was a big New Kids fan in junior high and I did know nearly all the words to Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby, so there's that.

• Love 11
On 1/11/2021 at 8:32 PM, Scarlett45 said:

What I think is funny is when my godbaby says “Play Idina Menzel” it plays songs from the Frozen soundtrack!! It cracks me up! I’m sure if I had an Alexa and said “Play Idina Menzel” it would play Defying Gravity or The Tango Maureen rather than Let It Go or Into the Unknown. 

Try saying "Alexa give me a fart"... yes, I'm five. 🙄😁😂

Edited by ChiCricket
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, beckie said:

I'm so sorry. My mother passed away almost four years ago and I still find myself wanting to do those things. Sending you a virtual hug.

8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

When you truly love someone, I think it matters not when you lost them.

It always leaves a hole in our heart when we think of them. 

I hope you find solace in good memories @beckie

Well said.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

After a LOT of phone and online attempts, I finally got daddy in for his covid vaccine shot.  Thank goodness for some progress.  

I agree I expected it was something you clicked inadvertantly.  I do that thus the undo button.  

Good for getting your father in.  My mother is scheduled for tomorrow.  May we all be able to relax sometime in the next few months.

• Love 8

It's odd because I did NOT change the view myself. It happened inadvertently when I inserted the symbol for subsection.  I WILL NOT ever do it again.  lol  I inserted the symbol and it instantly expanded the page.  Odd.  Must be a glitch in the program.  

I have given the music issue a lot of thought.  Music is like air, water, food, etc. to me.  Since I was a young child, I felt a connection to music that I can't explain.  I've seen a lot great artists listed around here lately and I do share your passion for some of these true musical geniuses. Believe it or not, I cut my list way down.....so difficult to list just a few.  In no particular order:   

Some of my top favorites are Robert Plant, with Zeppelin or solo, Zeppelin, James Taylor (grew up in NC and wrote Carolina In My Mind about it), Rolling Stones, Elton John, Linda Ronstadt, Eagles, Van Morrison, Garth Brooks, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Martina McBride, Mamas & Papas, Rod Stewart, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Brothers, John Denver, The Carpenters, Osmonds, Glen Campbell, Marvin Gaye, CAROLE KING, Beatles, Bee Gees, Al Green, Neil Young, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, CCR, Jackson Browne, JONI MITCHELL, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Simon and Garfunkel, Commodores, Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel, Backstreet Boys, Allman Brothers Band, Ed Sheeran, The Chicks, Adele, Little Big Town, Maren Morris,  Carrie Underwood, Alabama Shakes, Lizzo, Kesha...............

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Some of my top favorites are Robert Plant, with Zeppelin or solo, Zeppelin, James Taylor (grew up in NC and wrote Carolina In My Mind about it), Rolling Stones, Elton John, Linda Ronstadt, Eagles, Van Morrison, Garth Brooks, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Martina McBride, Mamas & Papas, Rod Stewart, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Brothers, John Denver, The Carpenters, Osmonds, Glen Campbell, Marvin Gaye, CAROLE KING, Beatles, Bee Gees, Al Green, Neil Young, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, CCR, Jackson Browne, JONI MITCHELL, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Simon and Garfunkel, Commodores, Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel, Backstreet Boys, Allman Brothers Band, Ed Sheeran, The Chicks, Adele, Little Big Town, Maren Morris,  Carrie Underwood, Alabama Shakes, Lizzo, Kesha...............

I love your list.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

It's odd because I did NOT change the view myself. It happened inadvertently when I inserted the symbol for subsection.  I WILL NOT ever do it again.  lol  I inserted the symbol and it instantly expanded the page.  Odd.  Must be a glitch in the program.  

I have given the music issue a lot of thought.  Music is like air, water, food, etc. to me.  Since I was a young child, I felt a connection to music that I can't explain.  I've seen a lot great artists listed around here lately and I do share your passion for some of these true musical geniuses. Believe it or not, I cut my list way down.....so difficult to list just a few.  In no particular order:   

Most excellent list, I would come to a party at your house post-COVID and dance the night away.

• Love 8