Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I am having a brat moment so bare with me please.

My Mom is getting on my damn nerves, WHY WHY WHY when I buy something she wants it too? When I sent my LV crossbody off for repair in October (it should be back soon) I bought a new small black nylon crossbody just to have something for the rare times I go out. She wanted one just like it, and when it came back in stock she bought one online yesterday. Yes of course I know she is grown, and its her money, and she can buy what she wants, but do we have to be the damn bopsey twins???? 

Was I this annoying when I was little and wanted to wear her things and match her all the time? if I was I apologize now.

Results from the vaccine- so far she feels fine, her arm is sore, but with Covid traffic we made EXCELLENT time crossing the entire city to get it which was pleasant.

• Love 18

@Scarlett45, most of your life has been given over to caring for your sister and now your mother. You’re an amazingly generous person, but you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t want SOME autonomy somehow. The purse is just a symbol...like can’t you  have anything to yourself???!!

I understand and it’s not at all unreasonable and I wish I could make it better. Sending you a hug.

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

@Scarlett45, most of your life has been given over to caring for your sister and now your mother. You’re an amazingly generous person, but you wouldn’t be human if you didn’t want SOME autonomy somehow. The purse is just a symbol...like can’t you  have anything to yourself???!!

I understand and it’s not at all unreasonable and I wish I could make it better. Sending you a hug.

Youre very sweet to me, they say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" but I will be glad when my LV crossbody comes back. That should probably happen at the end of the month.

I have a therapy session scheduled during lunch on Monday, which is my sister's bday (that was a total coincidence). I don't attend therapy regularly but sometimes you need a "tune up" especially in a dark, cold (although its been a mild winter so far) grey Chicago winter in the middle of a pandemic.

Im back losing weight, another 1.3 pounds this week. Sometimes the slow losses can be frustrating, but when its slow I know its actually fat and thats a good thing. 🙂

• Love 17

Question for the hive mind, how do I get glitter off of my hardwood floors? I took down my big living room xmas tree and fine glitter got everywhere. I have been mopping with vinegar/water and wiping up with really wet paper towels, but there is still glitter! I dont want Blake to ingest it. Any ideas....?

I was thinking of getting on my hands and knees with packing tape and just going to town.

7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Question for the hive mind, how do I get glitter off of my hardwood floors? I took down my big living room xmas tree and fine glitter got everywhere. I have been mopping with vinegar/water and wiping up with really wet paper towels, but there is still glitter! I dont want Blake to ingest it. Any ideas....?

I was thinking of getting on my hands and knees with packing tape and just going to town.

Lint roller?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Your packing tape will probably work the best.  You need something adhesive enough to pick up the glitter without damaging the floor.  Did you try a swifter cloth yet?

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Lint roller?

Ouuu good idea.

6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Your packing tape will probably work the best.  You need something adhesive enough to pick up the glitter without damaging the floor.  Did you try a swifter cloth yet?

Yes I have a reusable rubbermaid mop (the kind that looks like a swiffer but comes with pads you wash). I have been mopping the floor with copious amounts of vinegar and it takes up SOME of the glitter but not all. I guess I will just spend an hour with packing tape after work today.

8 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Won't a vacuume pick it up?  A dust mop with pledge? 

I dont have rugs here, I could borrow my Mom's vacuum from downstairs. Yes I have been using a reusable mop (I dont have pledge I just use vinegar and water)- do you think pledge would be more effective? Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I dont have rugs here, I could borrow my Mom's vacuum from downstairs. Yes I have been using a reusable mop (I dont have pledge I just use vinegar and water)- do you think pledge would be more effective? Thank you!

The pledge on a dust mop is how I used to clean my hardwood floors.  It did not make it slippery and worked pretty well on the dust.  I would so try to vacuume it up.  Seems the easiest way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

SO I think I was just being IMPATIENT, because the floor looks a lot better now, after the 3 mopping session with LOTS of vinegar, and changing the pad out every section to not spread the glitter around. I didnt mind the floor "shining bright like a diamond" but I have to think of Blake.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, emma675 said:

There's only one way. Burn the house down. I had a "friend" send me a card with glitter inside the envelope and I swear I still find glitter on the floor years later.

There is a makeup artist who started her own cosmetic line a few years ago, Pat McGrath.  Her products are not cheap and someone within her company had the bright idea to up the ante on the presentation.  I ordered a lip gloss set and the glosses came in a bag full of sequins.  I am still finding sequins.

• Love 6

Oh, man. I know about the glitter thing. Years ago I worked with a woman who's an absolute peach, a lovely person, and all that. But. Once I got a greeting card she'd mailed to me at home - can't remember if it was birthday or Christmas. Anyway, when I opened it I was showered with all these cute little sequin-y shiny bits of stuff. I think they were in shapes like hearts and stars. They were tiny and NUMEROUS. What a mess!

ETA: I didn't burn the house down. But I later sold it and moved. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I lived on the Boston Red Sox’s parade route the year they reversed the curse and won the World Series.

People threw glitter. Lots of glitter.

I lived in that apartment for several more years, and I NEVER got all of the glitter off the balcony, or out of the rug directly in front of the balcony door.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Glitter, pine needles, Barbie shoes and Legos never, ever, ever go away. In fact they multiple like rabbits.

Add to the list Easter grass, and Styrofoam. Lots of my Christmas decorations came packed in Styrofoam and we repack them in those boxes each year. And each year, no matter how careful my husband is taking them out and putting them back in the damn boxes, the Styrofoam flakes off or whatever and winds up everywhere. And since it's winter, and super dry, static cling makes the crap stick to the cabinets, countertops and fly around. The only thing that works is a wet paper towel, and even then it winds up all over. That shit is the devils work.  And I find Easter grass til the 4th of July. 

Well, we made it through the first week of school for the new year. I'm completely wiped out.  We all are. I plan on spending the weekend moving just enough so no one thinks I'm dead. Who am I kidding. With 3 kids and 2 dogs, that's a pipe dream. Lol

Edited by QuinnInND
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

Glitter is the herpes of the craft world. It is not allowed in my house! 

I got my first dose of the covid vaccine yesterday. I received the Moderna one, not that we were given a choice. My arm is sore, but no worse than a flu shot. I'm tired and have a headache but that's pretty much every day for me so not sure I can count that as a side effect! 

My 7 year old is in a MOOD this afternoon. Anyone want to borrow a 7 year old with the attitude of a 13 year old for a week or 2? 😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I imagine most of us (everyone but @Scarlett45 and @JENNIFERBUG being boomers 😜) being in my age pool are stricken with the imagery of the Capitol building.  My father was an Army carrier man, my husband son, son and brother all served.  I am a serious Patriot.  I love love love our federal buildings.  A trip to DC is my world.  It’s my Disney.  The White House, the monuments, the mall, the fabulous museums, Lincoln’s TOPHAT, Seinfeld’s shirt.  There’s not a public place I haven’t shed tears in or been amazed over.  I’ve been in the rodunda, I’ve been through the tunnels downstairs.  Been for a tour in the WH .  Been in Russell.  I love Washington DC.  It was absolutely like having a family member beaten (for me).  It was definitely a 911 moment for me.  All politics aside, that was MY HOUSE!!!  MINE!!!  Get OUT  OF MY HOUSE!!  

changing subjects totally:

This morning, my pregnant DIL and her friend walked from their grand office building (the Ritz is housed there so, you know.  Nice place).  They walked 2 doors down to Starbucks.  Coming back, there was a large man following them up the sidewalk - not stalking, just walking behind.  My DIL has my outlook “la la la, life is pretty, birds are singing ...”.  Then they realize the man is walking faster and has come up right behind them and (I’m going to cut and paste her text here)

Bre and I walked to starbucks this morning for coffee. On the way back there was a large man behind us (he honestly didn’t look homeless just very thuggish and big.   I registered in my mind that he was a large guy) and he kept getting closer. Me, being the oblivious “everyone is nice and kind and love people” person I am, didn’t think a thing. Suddenly he starts saying things like “you white bitches don’t belong here, this is Atlanta it’s a black city, you must be lost” and then YELLING “get the fuck out of our city snow bunnies you aren’t welcome here” thennnn when we get to the door of our building he says “yeah go ahead with you’re white asses into the fancy ritz Carlton go figure. you’re lucky I don’t have a gun I’d shoot you both right in the head”

Thankfully the security guard was right inside and could tell something was happening so we went in, the man stood at the door AND THEN STARTED TO COME IN but the guard got him out and locked it..

Later, she texted this:

Our HR person called the property manager, the security department, the city ambassadors, and the police department and requested extra patrol and extra officers to STAY right by our building. It makes me so happy that they care [she means HR and her company in general - she landed the BEST job ever, great company, great bosses] and are paying attention when there was no physical harm, just a threat.  

So nice week, right?  She’s a little tiny somebody - only about 5 ft on a tall day.  And pregnant.  Not much of a threat.  I looooove downtown Atlanta (because I grew up rural).  I love it.  I worked downtown for many many years and still love to just ride up there now.  I’ve walked those streets so many many times!!!  Never ever been threatened.  EVER!  Most of the time men (in general) are protective of short things like us.  I was shocked - but offered to come up and walk out to her car with her.  (Obviously you can tell from HR that they would’ve sent someone).  She used to park down a couple blocks but recently got an upgrade to park in the building.  I’m STILL shocked by this.  I’m not kidding, I KNOW this city.  We just don’t ACT like this here.  I HATE that he scared her and tainted her glowing experience of working downtown.
I’m so burdened and sad with my America right now.  
olus my husband had a molar pulled yesterday and has (🙄) man-pain.  Am I too far out to be watching for 2022??? 

GLITTER!!!  The year I turned 40, they threw a big office party (Lordy, Lordy, the whole bit).  Little tiny shiny 40’s everywhere.  All over the whole building.  Years later, our parent company lost itself and filed bankruptcy, and then paid me (HR) to stay on and file all the ppwk and turn the lights off.  The day I left I saw 40s in the stairwell, in the bathroom, in the bay door tracks...

• Love 5

I am so sorry for your DIL. I couldn’t imagine being pregnant during this pandemic and being threatened on the street!!!!! That’s just such a mental stress she doesn’t need right now (not that any of us do). 

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

My 7 year old is in a MOOD this afternoon. Anyone want to borrow a 7 year old with the attitude of a 13 year old for a week or 2? 😄

Will trade for a 10 year old boy who thinks he knows it all. And I'll toss in a set of 5 year old twin girls who are chatterboxes. 

@Happyfatchick that is scary! I can't imagine. Glad your dil wasn't hurt. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4

@Happyfatchick - sorry about your DIL's scary encounter. I had a couple of those over the years when I worked in downtown Denver. I'm glad your DIL is safe and that her employer took the incident seriously. Sadly, these days you just can't assume the guy was off his head and wouldn't really do anything besides run his mouth. 

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Will trade for a 10 year old boy who thinks he knows it all. And I'll toss in a set of 5 year old twin girls who are chatterboxes. 

@Jenniferbug  and @QuinnInND anyone want a perpetual toddler that will be 33 on Monday?? She NEVER asks questions and doesnt talk back!!!! (for which I am forever thankful) Although she can be quite loud. All you need is lots of spaghetti, jello and a Disney+ subscription. You can also have a 72yrs old woman who wants can act like the worlds biggest baby sometimes, but will be going back to work soon.

You however cannot have Blake. He is too cute, quiet and inexpensive (having one cat vs three cats y'all its an entirely different thing, I havent ordered cat litter since before Mr. Norris died in June).

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

This is Blake’s new pose when I’m doing my imageproxy.php?img=&key=2b6e9184fff4ceebimageproxy.php?img=&key=2b6e9184fff4ceebworkout. He moves from the opposite corner of the sofa cushion to here, I guess I’m interesting to watch?

75711320-9818-41CD-B07A-0CE96266A42C.jpeg

I’m hearing Madonna in my head... “Strike a pose.”

• LOL 9

I have always been afraid of cats.  I'm the one most cats sense the fear and land on my lap staring me down.

Until my daughter got Ernie!  That kitty was a rescue that she got after her sweetheart died in August!  A terrible death by choking to death!

The sweethearts middle name was Ernest so the kitty was named Ernie!

That cat has mended broken hearts and made me think what I missed being so afraid.  Each day she sends me a little video of Ernie and his antics.I

I'm sure some cats will still scare me but Ernie has captured my heart!

• Love 16

I was thinking about giving someone a second chance and then we had a fight. I kind of started it, but I wanted him to admit he was wrong about he had said in the past that still pisses me off. It's like trying to talk Derick Dillard. I don't need this person in my life. He's blocked again and hopefully I'll be able to avoid them when seeing mutual friends. Honestly it makes want to see less of the people we know. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I was thinking about giving someone a second chance and then we had a fight. I kind of started it, but I wanted him to admit he was wrong about he had said in the past that still pisses me off. It's like trying to talk Derick Dillard. I don't need this person in my life. He's blocked again and hopefully I'll be able to avoid them when seeing mutual friends. Honestly it makes want to see less of the people we know. 

Sorry your friend has upset you. It seems as if you have a good sense of boundaries. I hope everything works out.

Also, try not to let this person interfere with your other friendships. Keep hanging out with them.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Until my daughter got Ernie!  That kitty was a rescue that she got after her sweetheart died in August!  A terrible death by choking to death!

When you said your daughter’s sweetheart died, you mean a human being? That’s awful! I’m so sorry. I am glad she got a pet to comfort her. 

• Love 9

What is the normal time  seniors are observed after getting covid vaccine?  I’m trying to get my parents in for vaccine on Tuesday at a local hospital, however my mom wants to wait and get it at her primary’s office, because she thinks they’ll observe her more there.  She’s never had a reaction to a vaccine before, but for reason is nervous with this one.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

It's 15 minutes for everyone who hasn't had anaphylaxis.  It doesn't change for seniors.

30 minutes for people who have had anaphylaxis apparently at any time in their life.

This is the procedure where I'm likely getting vaccinated.  Other places will have their own procedures.  It's pretty standard though.  I'm used to waiting after vaccinations.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

When you said your daughter’s sweetheart died, you mean a human being? That’s awful! I’m so sorry. I am glad she got a pet to comfort her. 

10 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I have always been afraid of cats.  I'm the one most cats sense the fear and land on my lap staring me down.

That cat has mended broken hearts and made me think what I missed being so afraid.  Each day she sends me a little video of Ernie and his antics.I

Same question as Scarlett. 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It's 15 minutes for everyone who hasn't had anaphylaxis.  It doesn't change for seniors.

30 minutes for people who have had anaphylaxis apparently at any time in their life.

This is the procedure where I'm likely getting vaccinated.  Other places will have their own procedures.  It's pretty standard though.  I'm used to waiting after vaccinations.

The CDC says 15 minutes and that's what my employer is doing.  And 30 for people with histories of severe allergic reactions.  

10 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's sweetheart.  Perhaps you have heard of gateway drugs?  You know, how smoking marijuana will eventually lead to shooting heroin into your veins?  I am afraid that Ernie is your gateway kitty.  There's no turning back, you're hooked now.  Before you know it, you'll be the craziest cat lady in crazy cat lady town.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I found this on Facebook. This is so accurate it hurts. 

FB_IMG_1610222521100.jpg

I'll bet the kids who don't have pets are running to the neighbor's house to borrow one.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I'll bet the kids who don't have pets are running to the neighbor's house to borrow one.

You're not far off!  😂😂Stuffed animals are usually presented in lieu of real ones. I teach kinder so they all have at least one stuffed animal they love. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Hugs,  @lookeyloo. You’re doing something that is impossible, full stop. And you’re doing it so very well.
Have a Griffey?

30643A52-7498-4EED-9918-C0C44E26E3E1.jpeg

Look at that lovable chonk. He is so content with himself. ❤

lookeyloo, I hope son in law knows we are including him in our thoughts and sending him love.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 14