Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I'm really thinking of adopting another cat.. just hate if it gets sick and it's so expensive.. it shouldn't be about that.. so we'll see!  I'd love a dog, but where i live it's too tough.  Here's Sam.. the most beautiful cat who hated everyone but me..lol

sam2.jpg

• Love 15
On 12/30/2020 at 4:45 PM, GeeGolly said:

It seems for every one person I know who 

I find myself envying folks who lived between 1920 and 2019. 

Then you should envy my grandfather he was born in 1925 alive and kicking at 95 and his father died at 100 and his mother died at 105 and he looks and acts like a 30 year old. And my mom is 65 and has congestive heart failure. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

And my mom is 65 and has congestive heart failure. 

I’m so sorry, Rabittron. If it helps at all, my mother was diagnosed with congestive heart failure at age 70. There were plenty of ups and downs, but she lived to be 92.

I send you a hug.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I’m so sorry, Rabittron. If it helps at all, my mother was diagnosed with congestive heart failure at age 70. There were plenty of ups and downs, but she lived to be 92.

I send you a hug.

Ty

• Love 1

Happy New Year! Spending this chilly rainy day on the couch watching football.  And literally picking up the dogs and taking them outside and putting them down in the middle of the yard, so they'll do their business. Smh. Tomorrow we'll tackle the Christmas decorations before A&M plays. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Tomorrow we'll tackle the Christmas decorations before A&M plays. 

I took down everything but the Christmas tree today; I plan to tackle that tomorrow before the A&M game (my alma mater!). I love these days, cold, cloudy, and full of bowl games. And NBA (go Sixers!) and NFL and soon hockey. Yes, I'm a sports nut. As a viewer, though; I'm totally unathletic and uncoordinated in real life.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 6
On 12/30/2020 at 6:45 PM, GeeGolly said:

It seems for every one person I know who gets vaccinated I find out about 3 more with covid. The beginning of the end is colliding with the third consecutive surge. 

I find myself envying folks who lived between 1920 and 2019. 

Just a few more months. Just a few more months. Just a few more months

Edited by iwantcookies

Fireworks went on until 1 am I enjoyed it. I’m still hungover. 

Chatted with a “friend” today she is trying to trap a guy by getting pregnant. She is 38 and thinks that will work. Too bad the guy is awful and all she wants is a baby and child support. She doesn’t want him just his $$$. SMH. They are both using each other and it’s toxic. If only she wanted to get a job. She worked 2 years tops since being 18. All minimum wage jobs are beneath her. Her words. 

16 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Chatted with a “friend” today she is trying to trap a guy by getting pregnant. She is 38 and thinks that will work. Too bad the guy is awful and all she wants is a baby and child support. She doesn’t want him just his $$$. SMH. They are both using each other and it’s toxic. If only she wanted to get a job. She worked 2 years tops since being 18. All minimum wage jobs are beneath her. Her words. 

Wow. NOT a good plan. If he’s awful (and/or figures out she’s using him as a sperm bank with a bank account) there’s an excellent chance he won’t pay support on time or at all. She’ll spend a ton of time and money on lawyers trying to extract it from him. I just hope she’s infertile or his swimmers are defective. 
Women like that give us all a bad name. Shame on her.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Unless she's dating a millionaire, child support won't get her far. 

• Love 6

Happy New Year, everyone! I was going to make a nice dinner, have some Prosecco, and stay up until midnight, but in true 2020 fashion, I had frozen pizza, forgot to chill the Prosecco, ate a bunch of mini desserts from Whole Foods (just ok), and fell asleep by 10. 

I’m keeping my goals simple this year: make 1 recipe from all of the cookbooks I own, bake one thing from scratch each week, lose the final 23.8 pounds to get to my goal weight ( @Scarlett45, you are an inspiration!), and not buy any skincare/makeup/hair care products unless I am replacing something (I had a wee problem with overdoing the self care in 2020). Oh, and to be a rock star at my new job, which starts Monday. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 18
On 12/30/2020 at 1:00 PM, Snow Fairy said:

Thank you all. I am positively surprises someone knows about Croatia and has even visited. I would assume I am the only one from here who follows the Duggars...

You might be the only Croatian who follows the Duggars, is the show widely available there?

I grew up in a large midwestern city and there were a lot of Croatians who settled there, the street where I lived had a Catholic church that was built by Croatian immigrants.  The Masses were in Croatian, but my mom would make us go to church there if we missed Mass at our parish even though we didn't speak Croatian.  My mother would point out that the words were the same even if we didn't understand them.  I remember not knowing exactly where Croatia was when we moved there when I was 9 and that our Croatian neighbors would get mightily offended if anyone suggested they were Yugoslavian, even though Croatia was part of that country back then in the late 60's-early70's.  I also remember thinking the Croatian kids on our street were lying when they told us about the beautiful weather and gorgeous beaches.  Most American kids were taught that the Communist countries were bleak and colorless.  Not so much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Happy New Year, everyone! I was going to make a nice dinner, have some Prosecco, and stay up until midnight, but in true 2020 fashion, I had frozen pizza, forgot to chill the Prosecco, ate a bunch of mini desserts from Whole Foods (just ok), and fell asleep by 10. 

I’m keeping my goals simple this year: make 1 recipe from all of the cookbooks I own, bake one thing from scratch each week, lose the final 23.8 pounds to get to my goal weight ( @Scarlett45, you are an inspiration!), and not buy any skincare/makeup/hair care products unless I am replacing something (I had a wee problem with overdoing the self care in 2020). Oh, and to be a rock star at my new job, which starts Monday. 

Good luck with your new job.

• Love 5

I’m still comparing phones.  I’m reading quite a few complaints and article in Forbes about battery drain with iphone 12.  They can’t figure out why nor how to fix it.  That troubles me. The iphone 11 is much better according to previous owners, so looking at those.  Also looking at Google pixel 5.  I haven’t read any complaints at all. It’s about same cost as iPhone 11.  Tough call.  I’m going to buy it unlocked so buying it outright, which is a lot upfront.  I don’t want to be tied down with any 1 service provider. 

• Love 4

@Oldernowiser:  can I have your fucks?  Tell me you at least put them on eBay or Craigslist in your area.  
I may have possibly (accidentally) used yours already.  I’ve dropped more f-bombs this year than (certainly) is legal; definitely more than my own personal stockpile.  My husband (who was in the Navy and absolutely peppers his language like it) has even raised his eyebrows at my swearing this year.  I’ve become proficient, almost like Rosetta Stone has been involved.  I know somebody somewhere is missing some fucks and will eventually be looking for them.  
I’m locking them up until Dr F says the Christmas bump they are dreading is in the rear view.  

I may have some to sell/trade after that.  

Also:  I got my annual newsletter from my cousin today.  I sat down and read it immediately to see how many times her hypochondriac husband had covid.  None, apparently.  I am truly shocked.  It was only a single page, and all about what a train wreck this year has been.  All about how God has protected them and kept them safe.  Go God!  Thanks!  There are 2 million others who would like to have some magic dust. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

You will succeed at all of your goals. I also am not buying new makeup/skincare unless I am replacing something! Lol. 

I gained a half a pound this week and I’m not worried about it in the slightest, I tracked all my food and still worked out. I’m sure I’ll have a big loss next week. 

But guess what guys- it’s a New Year’s Day MIRACLE!!!!!! My great aunt has a new fridge!!!!!!!! I cannot prove it but I believe when my Uncle(92) went over there to fix the bathtub drain he saw the condition of the house for the first time in over a year and put the fear of god in her. Things aren’t perfect but the back porch is cleaned up, and you can see the kitchen floor! And they have a fridge that works and will keep food cold!!!!!!!!

I will run by there during my week of vacation at the end of the month and check on things (masked up of course and with a bribe of pastries). 

I really am so very happy. 

• Love 24
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m still comparing phones.  I’m reading quite a few complaints and article in Forbes about battery drain with iphone 12.  They can’t figure out why nor how to fix it.  That troubles me. The iphone 11 is much better according to previous owners, so looking at those.  Also looking at Google pixel 5.  I haven’t read any complaints at all. It’s about same cost as iPhone 11.  Tough call.  I’m going to buy it unlocked so buying it outright, which is a lot upfront.  I don’t want to be tied down with any 1 service provider. 

Apple.com let’s you pay off the phone in 24 months 

• Love 1
On 1/1/2021 at 1:36 AM, Oldernowiser said:

@jcbrown, do you think we need some kind of crutch substitute word or just go cold turkey? 

I refuse to resort to lame faux fuck words, like, ”fudge,” “freak,” or “effing.” I have a potty mouth but I still have standards, by God. 😈

Twenty-seven minutes left of this wretched year. May 2021 find all of you lovelies healthy, happy, and fabulous.

❤️

How about "fink? 

That's the one word we could get away with calling our siblings by in my family.🤣

21 hours ago, Boston said:

it's been like a fireworks event around here (no rain or snow.. just idiots..) i jump every time a bottle rocket goes off.

I almost peed my pants last night when some numbnut set off a ¼ stick of dynamite!

• LOL 2
On 12/31/2020 at 5:53 PM, NotthebadVictoria said:

You must have been raised Catholic 😂, me too!

I was, yes, but this is fairly standard here in Germany.

Happy new year all, hope the first couple of days have been kind. I picked up my wee package full of Brits chocolate - and Im most definitely certainly not shovelling down the packet of Milkybards mixed down my gullet. Not one bit.

Very foggy here in Culchieland - never had that much fog in town, so it's a perfect day to be at home although I did really well earlier and had a good dander around the area. Haven't done that much exploring yet.

Edit, I think I spend far too much time with de fundies - I had a dream about Steven *the Devil" Anderson the other day. It was........odd....😱

Edited by MunichNark
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

@Oldernowiser:  can I have your fucks?  Tell me you at least put them on eBay or Craigslist in your area.  
I may have possibly (accidentally) used yours already.  I’ve dropped more f-bombs this year than (certainly) is legal; definitely more than my own personal stockpile.  My husband (who was in the Navy and absolutely peppers his language like it) has even raised his eyebrows at my swearing this year.  I’ve become proficient, almost like Rosetta Stone has been involved.  I know somebody somewhere is missing some fucks and will eventually be looking for them.  
I’m locking them up until Dr F says the Christmas bump they are dreading is in the rear view.  

I may have some to sell/trade after that.  

Also:  I got my annual newsletter from my cousin today.  I sat down and read it immediately to see how many times her hypochondriac husband had covid.  None, apparently.  I am truly shocked.  It was only a single page, and all about what a train wreck this year has been.  All about how God has protected them and kept them safe.  Go God!  Thanks!  There are 2 million others who would like to have some magic dust. 

Maybe I can actually learn to swear if I gather up all your unused F***s. It seems that it's quite a cathartic ability, but the best I've ever managed is the occasional WTF, pronounced, of course, as "Double-you, Tee, Eff". I have no problem whatsoever with others dropping F-bombs, but can't seem to force one past my lips.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, MunichNark said:

Edit, I think I spend far too much time with de fundies - I had a dream about Steven *the Devil" Anderson the other day. It was........odd....😱

It is going around! I had my first JRod dream last night. I was brought in by Jim Bob to consult at David's print shop (which was an actual office but in the middle of a junkyard full of old cars) and Jill was trying to follow me around while I was trying to work. She grabbed me by the arm and pushed me into a copy machine when she freaked out over some invoice and I hauled off and slapped her. I would call it a nightmare but it was a dream come true to slap JRod, lol.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, zoomama said:

no resolutions here...just a semi-plan to live happier and to try to get my weight in control. dont have to be skinny but my back wouldn't hurt as much if i lost some. 

This is very close to my resolutions. I want to let in more joy and to eat sensibly. 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Apple.com let’s you pay off the phone in 24 months 

I saw that.  So, if I buy from them I have to pick my provider at time of purchase OR get unlocked phone with no SIM card. I’ll buy my own when it arrives.  Sounds simple enough.  I’m leaning on that right now.  I have to ensure that I will be able to transfer my current phone number and content to new phone.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Maybe I can actually learn to swear if I gather up all your unused F***s. It seems that it's quite a cathartic ability, but the best I've ever managed is the occasional WTF, pronounced, of course, as "Double-you, Tee, Eff". I have no problem whatsoever with others dropping F-bombs, but can't seem to force one past my lips.

How about this? The Irish polite "fuck" is "feck" - it feels far less in your face in a way. I learnt to swear when I started hanging around Irish people and now I can't switch it off anymore. I tend to swear a lot less in German weirdly enough.  Or, if you want to be subtle yet be rude-ish, "catch yourself on" or "wise up" is always nice. Most Americans may not even understand what you're saying then. Win win!

57 minutes ago, emma675 said:

It is going around! I had my first JRod dream last night. I was brought in by Jim Bob to consult at David's print shop (which was an actual office but in the middle of a junkyard full of old cars) and Jill was trying to follow me around while I was trying to work. She grabbed me by the arm and pushed me into a copy machine when she freaked out over some invoice and I hauled off and slapped her. I would call it a nightmare but it was a dream come true to slap JRod, lol.

Oh dear........😅  The thing is, he was NICE...........yes, sorry, I'll do penance in the prayer closet shortly. But I kept wondering why he was nice when I knew perfectly well what an evil arse he is. If I ever dream of J Rodder, I'll scream the house down, that has got to be the perfect nightmare.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

This is very close to my resolutions. I want to let in more joy and to eat sensibly. 

I have my same list of resolutions which never seem to last beyond a month or two (at best). Aside from getting in better shape, I always resolve to do more art work, but I was extra inspired today by a blurb I saw today about Michelle Obama's (this is not political, I swear!) Christmas gift to her husband of a drawing of a golf course done by an artist who was falsely imprisoned for over 20 years. 

"For more than two decades behind bars, he maintained his innocence. Eventually, he renewed his passion for art, thanks to the advice of his uncle, who told him, 'If you reclaim your talent, you can reclaim your life.' Despite never visiting a golf course, he went on to use photos from magazines to draw golf courses like the one in this photo," Obama shared."

Barack Obama On Christmas Present From Wife Michelle: 'The Story Behind It Is Even Better' (ibtimes.com) (sorry, this doesn't seem to work as a link).

Anyway, while I can't claim that my life is anything like one spent behind bars, I do have those moments, so this really resonated with me, especially since this artist's style is not entirely unlike mine when I do landscapes in watercolor. His is a drawing, colored pencil drawing, though, which I've only really used for portrait work. May be something to try. I did once do a painting as a commission of a golf course in Scotland, when we lived there, so there's a link (no pun intended) to this work. Maybe if I keep the analogy of imprisonment in my mind it might help me "reclaim my life" as well.

No time like the present, though, and nothing is certain in these times. I had a very vivid and prophetic-feeling dream some years ago that I would die when I was 62. Which I am, today. And given that I have diabetes and high blood pressure, but am not quite old enough to be among the first groups to get vaccinations for Covid, these times are even more uncertain. So those fitness resolutions are extra important.

• Love 14

I'm also hoping to get in better shape. I've posted on here before about having a complicated relationship with food. I usually do a New Year's resolution that I am very disciplined about for a few weeks or a couple of months but then forget about. And I've lost and gained the same 30 pounds the past 5 years as a result (but need to lose a lot more).

In any event, like a lot of others, I've been inspired by @Scarlett45's posts on getting healthier, so I am going to try really hard to do a better job of eating right and exercising regularly. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, emma675 said:

I took down everything but the Christmas tree today; I plan to tackle that tomorrow before the A&M game (my alma mater!). I love these days, cold, cloudy, and full of bowl games. And NBA (go Sixers!) and NFL and soon hockey. Yes, I'm a sports nut. As a viewer, though; I'm totally unathletic and uncoordinated in real life.

We are soul mates. I grew up in a sports loving family and haven't got an athletic bone in my body.  Love college football, too.  And.... speaking of college football, the Sugar Bowl was played last night as part of the national championship.  And, guess who won???!!!!! My Alma Mater, my boys, my team.  THE Ohio State University Buckeyes!   I have been fortunate enough to attend their last 4 national championship games; two in Phoenix and 1 in New Orleans and 1 in Dallas.  Nothing better than seeing the team you've rooted for all your life win the big one (What can I say?  I'm from Cleveland, it hasn't happened much for me.)  Alas, it looks like I'll be watching this one from home.  The game is in Miami and allowing spectators but I've come too far to mess it up now.  Florida's rules and regulations to stop the spread have been inadequate, IMO.  The OSU Alumni Association usually offers tours, but it looks like they decided to skip it too.

GO BUCKS!  O-H!!!!!!

OH.gif

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 6

@Jynnan tonnix, that’s lovely. And you’re an artist??? How cool is that? 

I’m 62 as well. It’s not so bad...if you don’t count how every morning starts with “so, what new thing hurts today?”

I’ve been watching some of Dr. Robert Lustig’s lectures on Youtube about sugar. They’re quite fascinating because for so many years we’ve been hammered about how all calories are the same and if we were all just more self-disciplined and exercised more we’d all look like whippets. Not true. Our bodies metabolize starch, sugar and alcohol by different pathways and it all leads to more visceral fat, according to Lustig‘s research. So you can be thin on the outside and still have a ton of unhealthy visceral fat, while you can be fat on the outside and if it’s only subcutaneous fat, it’s not as likely to make you ill. Fascinating. Especially when you look at the invention of high-fructose corn syrup and how that correlates with the rise of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, not just in America, but around the world as they have adopted our diet and processed foods.

Anyway, the lectures are really interesting if you’re at all a medical science geek like I am. He’s a board-certified endocrinologist who spent much of his clinical career working with diabetic children. 

ETA: Here’s his most-watched video on Youtube....12 million views!

Sugar...the Bitter Truth

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

@Jynnan tonnix, that’s lovely. And you’re an artist??? How cool is that? 

I’m 62 as well. It’s not so bad...if you don’t count how every morning starts with “so, what new thing hurts today?”

I’ve been watching some of Dr. Robert Lustig’s lectures on Youtube about sugar. They’re quite fascinating because for so many years we’ve been hammered about how all calories are the same and if we were all just more self-disciplined and exercised more we’d all look like whippets. Not true. Our bodies metabolize starch, sugar and alcohol by different pathways and it all leads to more visceral fat, according to Lustig‘s research. So you can be thin on the outside and still have a ton of unhealthy visceral fat, while you can be fat on the outside and if it’s only subcutaneous fat, it’s not as likely to make you ill. Fascinating. Especially when you look at the invention of high-fructose corn syrup and how that correlates with the rise of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, not just in America, but around the world as they have adopted our diets. 

Anyway, the lectures are really interesting if you’re at all a medical science geek like I am.

I'm 63, going to be 64 in April.  Seems like there are quite a few of us boomers here.  Still working full time but have changed my focus of practice so I am mainly office based.  I love delivering babies, I love doing surgery (really, it is INCREDIBLY interesting and creative).  But I don't love being up all night or standing in one spot for 2 hours watching the resident do the case in twice the time if would've taken me to do it.  So, I limit myself to outpatient surgeries and sleep well at night.  I am already two years older than my mom was when she died and older than both of my grandmothers, too.

Other than being significantly overweight, I have been lucky.  My blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol are all fantastic, no credit to me on that.

I may go part time when I turn 65 and work 3 or 4 days a week rather than 5; but I am not ready to be retired.  My college room mate, a year younger than me and a specialist in palliative care and infectious disease, retired last week.  A friend who was in residency with me and has been practicing OB/GYN for 34+ years like me, is retiring this month.  Both of them decided after COVID hit so hard; both have husbands with medical problems that would make them vulnerable if they caught it.   My OB friend's hubby actually suffered a cardiac arrest in June and nearly died while she and her daughters were only allowed to visit one per day for an hour or so because of COVID.  After several weeks of sheer terror, he made a remarkable recovery and is now doing pretty well.  He was a lawyer in private practice and in the weeks while his life was in the balance, my friend made the difficult decision to close his practice.  He's glad she got the ball rolling for him.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 12

I had a call yesterday from my 80-something year old neighbor (she's older than my mom). She was diagnosed positive with COVID.  She spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with her son and DIL even though she wasn't feeling good.  She finally got in touch with her doctor and they recommended she have a COVID test and found out on Thursday it was positive.  She was complaining about having to stay at home "because I go somewhere every day."  She has been around a few neighbors here in our community, but luckily I haven't seen any of them lately. I did ask about her son and DIL because DIL has Parkinson's.  "Oh, they THINK they had it last December.  They aren't worried." Well, I'm just thankful I saw her drive past my place earlier in the week, but I didn't walk over to her car to talk to her.  I did tell her if she needed anything to let me know, but I would not be getting close to her right now.  

• Love 2

Fuck is such an easy and versatile word. Like a circle face emoji, just a slight variation and it takes on a whole new meaning. It can mean, oops, oh no, aha. It can mean really?, or it can mean really!. It can show different levels of displeasure. It can release different levels of displeasure. And when discussing a few of the Duggars and JillR, it can be slung like a dart.

I respect the word fuck, as I do the word shit. I say shit far more often than fuck, but fuck is no less worthy and sometimes is the only word that works, without a long explanation. 😁🙃🤬

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

I had a J Rod dream last night too. How weird. Maybe she is a sleep demon. I saw them at an ice skating ring and the kids were so skinny they looked half dead. JRod wanted to convert me and she had such bad breathe. I couldn’t get her hands off me that’s when I woke up. *shuddes*

Help!