Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E07: Are You Fur Real?

• Start Topic

Working in pairs, the designers must create innovative avant garde looks highlighting one of the most trendy and complicated of materials, faux fur; Billy Porter, the icon of modern avant garde fashion, is the guest judge.

Original airdate: December 2, 2021

• Love 1

That pink fur could have gone very badly. I kept thinking it was Grandma's pink bathroom rug with matching toilet seat cover. Chasity thinks so highly of herself and will not hesitate to tell you.

Octavio certainly should have gone, but Christian used the save for the right person.

I'm sorry about the Aaron and Bones fight. I hope things so smoothly after this.

That red monstrosity was in the top? Car wash Octopus 3.0 and the cage thing works for FUR.

Edited by WaltersHair
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Aaron totally disappointed me.  And he never properly apologized.  I don’t even like Bones, but he totally in the right.  Aaron cut him out every step of the way.    And Bones was right about the stir sticks.  

Aaron went so overboard!  He just UNLOADED on Bones!

• Love 16

The right design won. I was skeptical with all the pink fur and splashy paint but it looked cool in the end and Mimi sold the hell out of it.

I’m glad Christian saved Chantelle, her and Kristine’s design was not that bad. I thought Octavio and Anna’s design was more of a mess and should have been the worst. 
I love Billy Porter but I thought he was a little too extra, like Gigi Hadid he took over all the judging comments from the other judges. I wanted to hear more what the real designer judge (can’t remember his name) would say. 

• Love 15

I was packing most of the time and mostly listened. I liked Kristina and Chantal's, so I guess I have a taste issue. The cage look is not new, I recall Leanne doing something similar in season 5, creating an exo-skeleton. I think it was an astrology challenge and she had Scorpio. Charity and Prajje's deserved the win but I've seen the pink design before--I think it was Design Star or one of the other PR knockoffs.

Aaron and Bones's was OK, but I feel like the cutout was wonky, but I liked the rest of the back. That was cool.

• Love 6

Well, Christian had to use the Siriano Save tonight, and it was totally not a surprise. Not sayin' Shantall is all that as a designer, but the circumstances of her going and Kristina staying... Yeah, it was only fair.

I don't know what Nina was on this week but, it seemed like everything she said, I thought the opposite. Totally did not feel Chastity and Prajje's design was the most avant-garde, and, honestly? We have seen that dress before. Maybe not in faux fur and arts and crafts paint splatters, but definitely that silhouette. I would've given the win to Coral and Zayden. I could see both of them in the design, and their vision, and it was executed beautifully. They should get bonus points for working well together, too. Working with a team is a skill designers need, so maybe the judging should take that into consideration, too, along with the design.

Can we keep the judge sitting in for Brandon? Liked him so much better. And, of course, Billy Porter, but Bravo likely can't afford him on a regular basis.

Not touching the Bones and Aaron drama, other than to say I'm tired of Bones (and his cheap wigs) and unpleasantly surprised at Aaron. But, at least they moved past it to finish their design.

And, speaking of tired, I'm tired of designers throwing a pile of fabric at a dress form and calling it a day this season. I don't know why Octavio and Anna had to throw out so much of their original design and send that scrap heap down the runway instead, but it was blatantly obvious there was little thought in it.

And, in conclusion, how could Elaine tolerate that headpiece? It obstructed her vision at every turn. What some people will suffer for fashion, ugh.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

And, speaking of tired, I'm tired of designers throwing a pile of fabric at a dress form and calling it a day this season. I don't know why Octavio and Anna had to throw out so much of their original design and send that scrap heap down the runway instead, but it was blatantly obvious there was little thought in it.

I don't know if the plastic garbage bag they wanted to use as a skirt at first would have been worse than what they sent down the runway or not.  They should have been in the bottom, and Octavio should have gone home.  They had no vision, poor execution, and it wasn't something they designed but, as you said, a pile of fabric thrown at a dress form.

• Love 23

I hated the red strappy thing, but I'm glad Zayden finally had a good night. I think Octavio should have been booted instead of Shantell and wonder if Christian would have saved him. Kini did a black version of the winning look on his season.

• Love 16

I gasped at the tv a few times tonight... Anna's original idea for a trash-bag bubble skirt was so bad, especially with all that volume of the puffer sleeves.  I would think something sleek and tailored would have worked better, not the ruffly mess they ended up with.  And, a staple gun???

Nor was I impressed with Shantell's patchwork fur coat.  I thought it looked tacky and super bulky.  I agree with the judges that having something lighter under it would have been better, but the patchwork itself just did me in.  I predicted that Christian would save her,  and I am fine with that because I believe she is one of the talented designers and would like to see more. I didn't mind Kristina's outfit, especially after she made the changes, although the quilting and the fur patchwork together was just too much.  

The van accident was just so scary.  I'm glad no one was seriously injured, though it must have been hard to process that in the middle of a competition.  No down time for some TLC.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

No way there should be a team challenge when someone has immunity. Unfair.

I agree. People who have immunity have a tendency to use the opportunity to "really show the judges what I can do", which of course, very often goes off the rails. It's not fair to saddle someone else with a person with that attitude.

3 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

That pink fur could have gone very badly. I kept thinking it was Grandma's pink bathroom rug with matching toilet seat cover.

Me too, plus, I thought the extension piece looked badly added on to the original piece. I didn't care for the outfit at all.

• Love 7

Also, I have been rooting for Aaron this whole time and would have been so happy to see his design in the top had it not been for his diatribe against Bones.  That was really uncalled for and I'm glad Bones held him accountable.  I hope there was an apology that we didn't see.  Bones may be outspoken, but he seems like a very caring and open person.  I didn't like the way Aaron was shutting him down, either.

• Love 23

I thought none of these looks were avant garde. Elaine even called one the most wearable, which is a hallmark of what avant garde is not. Billy Porter was Billy Porter so yes, over the top. Mimi walked the hell out of that look, but I thought the judges would at least point out you can clearly see the extra pieces were tacked on. There were very, very visible seams. This would have been a great time for them to feel and examine the garments up close.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Michichick said:

I liked Aaron until tonight. What a shitty, dismissive way he talked to Bones. Aaron didn’t just disagree with how Bones wanted to approach this challenge, he had to go low and criticize Bones’ past work and tell Bones he knows nothing. That was rude and unnecessary, and also incorrect. When the man says he has a physics degree, maybe listen to him for a minute.

Except he doesn’t have a degree in physics.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 6

So we finally get to see the darker side of Aaron. Sigh. He’s been in the background for much of the season, and maybe this is why. He could be just that unpleasant.

And once again, Bones demonstrates how to be a good team partner. He was much more patient than I would have been with Aaron’s dismissive tantrum, but as he said I guess he has to be in order to avoid stereotyping. I’m glad that comment was left in, because I think it’s important for some audience members to hear. But his classiest move was not gloating even when proven right. I’ve been up and down with Bones all season, but right now I’m definitely up. (Just please lose that first wig.)

1 hour ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I gasped at the tv a few times tonight... Anna's original idea for a trash-bag bubble skirt was so bad, especially with all that volume of the puffer sleeves.  I would think something sleek and tailored would have worked better, not the ruffly mess they ended up with.  And, a staple gun???

I thought that was definitely the worst outfit of the night. I’m not saying I was a fan of Jabba the Hut’s Vagina, but at least it was a cohesive idea and looked finished. Anna and Octavio just attached whatever scraps they could find with glue and staples and called it a day.

I thought the winning gown was gorgeous. Sure, that silhouette has been down before, but so has the scrappy car wash look. And the way the textures and colors flowed together was completely original, IMO. I just don’t understand why the model could walk in it on the floor, but not the runway. Is the runway extra slippery? Did they dress her in silk-soled slippers? 

4 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

When he and Aaron were fighting and someone (can't remember who) scolded him for swearing, I got super pissed, possibly because I swear a lot myself.

The fuck you say? Yeah… I think Anna would be well within her rights to take someone aside and politely ask them to tone down the language in her presence if it offends her, but jumping into the middle of an argument is not the way to handle it. Pick your battles, girl.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

Elaine continues with her insightful comments.  NOT.  "I don't know where she'd wear this."  Hello, it's an AVANTE GARDE challenge.  Did you not get the memo?  Nobody would wear anything on that runway anywhere unless they are making a fashion joke.

I also don't like her "my girl" or "my man" comments as others have said before--It's insulting to the other designers to imply favoritism.  Biggest eye-roll, though, came from her really relating to Coral's expressing her feeling she's been discriminated against for being a minority story when the whole cage idea came from a white guy.

I think Nina, who’s also Latina, secretly rolls her eyes with that shit.   Coral is successful and won’t have a problem making a living, but was weeping to four very successful minorities about how minorities and women are kept in a box.  Ok

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Bluesky said:

Hit Quote in error 

Some observations:

1. Nothing was Avant-garde. Big hooded fur cape. Zayden's painted fabric. A headpiece from "Silence of the Lambs." A quilted winter jacket, oh wait, no, a dress. Meh. 

2. Bones is the team player he has always been, even if his first expression of that was his impertinence with Christian. 

3. Aaron is not a team player. And that's okay, until you let out your "Always a bridesmaid" frustration in a nasty way towards your helpful teammate.

4. Fur should not have been assigned. It restricted and hindered both creativity and execution, IMO. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

look. And the way the textures and colors flowed together was completely original, IMO. I just don’t understand why the model could walk in it on the floor, but not the runway. Is the runway extra slippery? Did they dress her in silk-soled slippers? 

I thought they had her walk slowly and dramatically for effect. 

• Love 11

This is why I have a problem with immunity, period.  Kristina has really only had a couple of good weeks this entire season, and she was…at least in the judges’ opinions…responsible for the worst thing on that runway.  But oh, hey…last week you didn’t suck, so this week, you can do basically nothing and someone with more talent than you will go home.

Bones is actually a lovely man and Aaron is a little brat.  

• Love 19
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Fur should not have been assigned. It restricted and hindered both creativity and execution, IMO. 

And due to the car accident, they lost a valuable day of work.

Shame on you Aaron.

Christian and his twirls and his vibe with Chasity = love. We needed that moment after the car accident and the nasty fighting.

I can't wait for Elaine to be replaced. She's useless and has a self-aggrandizing agenda (I've seen her on other shows).

I see the Choctaw on Zayden's beautiful face.

Whispers: *I loved the pink quilting.*

Edited by pasdetrois
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, Bluesky said:

Except he doesn’t have a degree in physics.  

Maybe he said he studied physics rather than that he has a physics degree? I don’t recall the exact words and it’s not important. The point is that Aaron said Bones knows nothing and that was wrong. Bones was correct about how they could get the collar to stand up.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

Weird thinking there.

I'm assuming that production would not be able to shift everything by one day - rebook the models, availability of what may be a contracted production team, Billy Porter's limited availability.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

I thought Aaron was an uncalled-for bitch but with his apology and Bones being and having been Bones for awhile already, I'm not going to assign Aaron any kind of real lasting villain or shitty person status from this incident.  YMMV.  I know a lot of people liked it, but ultimately I really thought their look was great in concept but pretty messily made.  I didn't like the cutout behind the neck at all.

Baby Jesus save me from more Project Stringy pieces.  Every time Nina whines about having already seen this or that dress a million times, I'd like to replay all the stringy pieces they've gushed over every season.  No.

The winner was deserved, and that fat coat was pretty awesome as well.  At least the save was used on someone deserving, I suppose. 

The idea that Octavio wasn't out the door for that garbage is disturbing to me, right down to him blaming Anna for being "off" because she was stumped trying to think of a nice way to tell you your shit was super-weak.  I'm having a horrible premonition that he's going to fail his stupid way into the final at this point.

2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Fur should not have been assigned. It restricted and hindered both creativity and execution, IMO. 

I guess I have to disagree.  So it's harder, boo hoo.  It's a competition.  I hate to invoke one who shall not be named, but make it work.

5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I thought none of these looks were avant garde.

Yeah, I was thinking this throughout the whole episode.  I could squint a bit with a few of the finished products and maybe pretend, but it was incredibly dull as avant-garde PR history goes.  (Also, great username.)

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

The van accident was just so scary.

There is a very very serious commercial driver shortage, and that accident screamed out someone who is a new driver right out of the box who doesn't know how to square their turns in a mini-bus while navigating the city.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Oh Aaron. You made me sad. You turned into a control freak. Loved your final look, but Bones saved you. 

No way there should be a team challenge when someone has immunity. Unfair.

Liked the top 3 looks and loved the guest judge designer. He was insightful.

Lastly, Christian's comments really helped tonight. The ones who listened and took his advice benefitted from it.

Yeah, have not liked Aaron from the beginning and he was arrogant and way out of line.  Bones truly did save the look from being a droopy mess.

Agreed on it being unfair to have a team challenge and having the one who did not have immunity subject to being voted out. So glad Christian used his save.  Her part of the outfit was lovely and that pink monstrosity? Ugh

10 hours ago, DEL901 said:

For once, the save was well used.  Not her fault Christine has immunity.     I liked the skirt on the winning design, but the pink just looked like a bath mat to me.   

Aaron totally disappointed me.  And he never properly apologized.  I don’t even like Bones, but he totally in the right.  Aaron cut him out every step of the way.    And Bones was right about the stir sticks.  

Yes, the skirt on the winning outfit was beautiful and that top was ugly.

• Love 3

I have hated Octavio since he was rude and demeaning to Katie. Feel the same way about Aaron now. Where do these people get off thinking it’s ok to treat other people like that? 

• Love 21

I understood Aaron's point about the tension in the collar after it being attached as likely being enough to keep it from drooping, but he sorely misjudged the weight of the fur. He didn't want to be partnered with Bones in the first place and he couldn't get over it. And sorry Bones, but Dothraki bride is a stupid idea for 2021. Aaron needed to shut up and Bones needed to stop having such a shitty design aesthetic. They can both go.

I felt terrible for Anna, and maybe after a day like hers, she didn't feel like listening to two assholes going at each other, and definitely didn't feel like listening to Aaron. Because of the situation, it's not like she can just get up and leave. Some producer would have herded her back to the group, just like when Aaron left the workroom early and he was cattle prodded back to the group. Ugh.

The designs were all mostly lame, but Octavio should have gone. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Michichick said:

Maybe he said he studied physics rather than that he has a physics degree? I don’t recall the exact words and it’s not important. The point is that Aaron said Bones knows nothing and that was wrong. Bones was correct about how they could get the collar to stand up.

You're right. He said he was a physics major, which implies some expertise. More importantly, he demonstrated that expertise, which likely helped save Aaron's arrogant ass. I like Bones and the way he handled this incident is one reason why.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
12 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I hated the outfit with the belts , it was ugly.

I could NOT BELIEVE that was in the top. I hated it and was sure it was a loser. And I kinda liked that cocoon thing and thought it ridiculous that they were sending Shantal home for that-- so unfair. Glad the save was used. Octavio and Anna's thing was hideous, but the judges seemed to have a huge thumb on the scale for them. 

Aaron was acting like a total ass. Why couldn't you try BOTH the sticks and the shoulder attachment, Aaron? Belts and suspenders you know. He seemed insulted by using some sort of structure that would never be seen just because he didn't think of it.

I too hated the whole story about the cages. Enough!

12 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

it was ugly. I liked the paint spatter bottom of the winning dress but the envelope style has been done many times.

wasn't there a (relatively) famous umbrella dress on an earlier season? Ah I looked it up and it's different, but it reminded me of it. (I was just going to grab the picture of Kini's dress, but decided to show the whole thing because, man, there were some seriously ugly dresses here! https://democracydiva.com/2014/09/13/project-runway-recap-s13-e08/ )

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Retired teacher:  When teenagers in Oregon schools get concussions in sporting events, all sorts of accommodations are made to protect their injured brains.  They need weeks before it is safe to have even the most gentle mental strain.  

If Anna had a concussion, she shouldn't have been back the next day.  There was one shot of her waiting on the run way where it was obvious she should be back at the hotel taking a nap.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Lassus said:

There is a very very serious commercial driver shortage, and that accident screamed out someone who is a new driver right out of the box who doesn't know how to square their turns in a mini-bus while navigating the city

I also got the impression the driver did something wrong. As I recall, there was squealing tires before the glass crash, like he took a turn too hard. Though what scaffolding was doing sticking out into the street (was it?) is beyond me. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I also got the impression the driver did something wrong. As I recall, there was squealing tires before the glass crash, like he took a turn too hard. Though what scaffolding was doing sticking out into the street (was it?) is beyond me. 

Agreed. They way they quickly explained what happened lead me to believe the driver was at least somewhat at fault. If the scaffolding was sticking out into the street, wouldn't any of those cars we saw in front of the mini bus have also hit it?

And that's why I thought it was extra shitty that the competitors lost a day of work. For once am happy to see a save used. It's like we just get to write this week off. I just hope Anna is okay because she looked like she was struggling.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

What possessed Praaje and Chasity to send an erect penis down the runway?

If it and "Jabba the Hutt's Vagina" (TM @30 Helens) had walked together, we could have had quite a theme going!

13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I feel like Anna should sue the construction company, whoever let that scaffolding fall onto a moving car.  I am just horrified beyond horrified that that happened.

It didn't fall, the driver hit it when he took a corner too tightly.  Someone upstream wondered why the scaffolding extended into the street, which is a good question.  It may have been that kind that extends out from the building to create a walkway underneath so the sidewalk doesn't need to be closed while construction goes on overhead.  Very common in NYC, and it would make sense that if a van cut a corner too tightly (like maybe he went over the curb/curb cutout?) it might hit some scaffolding right at window level.  There was a scrape on the door of the van, too, lower down, though, so...trash can??  We need Bones' physics expertise here!  :)

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Billy Porter was Billy Porter so yes, over the top. Mimi walked the hell out of that look...

I about died when he challenged Mimi to walk in that gown.  Oh, Mimi. Can. Walk!!!  Mimi can walk just about anything and make it look amazing.  I am sad that no one invoked the legendary S2 Daniel Vosovic "It's a muthafuckin' walk-off!" line, though.

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I just hope Anna is okay because she looked like she was struggling.

Maybe, but I really think the edit they used to show that really was just her simply thinking about what she thought and what to say.

• Useful 1

Mimi's balletic arched back and arm movements were the winners of the night, for me (for you).

The flapping straps thing has been done over and over on PR- making it partly out of some fake fur doesn't make it fresh and new. And I'm tired of the macrame stuff showing up in all of (can't even remember her name's) work.

I'm interested in the contestant's background stories about their struggles for one, maybe 2 episodes. At this point, very much not interested in hearing it again, especially when the judges jump into the victim contest, too. 

I'm mostly watching for Christian at this point.

• Love 23