Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E07: Are You Fur Real?

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Lassus said:

I thought Aaron was an uncalled-for bitch but with his apology and Bones being and having been Bones for awhile already, I'm not going to assign Aaron any kind of real lasting villain or shitty person status from this incident.  YMMV.  I know a lot of people liked it, but ultimately I really thought their look was great in concept but pretty messily made.  I didn't like the cutout behind the neck at all.

Baby Jesus save me from more Project Stringy pieces.  Every time Nina whines about having already seen this or that dress a million times, I'd like to replay all the stringy pieces they've gushed over every season.  No.

The winner was deserved, and that fat coat was pretty awesome as well.  At least the save was used on someone deserving, I suppose. 

The idea that Octavio wasn't out the door for that garbage is disturbing to me, right down to him blaming Anna for being "off" because she was stumped trying to think of a nice way to tell you your shit was super-weak.  I'm having a horrible premonition that he's going to fail his stupid way into the final at this point.

I guess I have to disagree.  So it's harder, boo hoo.  It's a competition.  I hate to invoke one who shall not be named, but make it work.

Yeah, I was thinking this throughout the whole episode.  I could squint a bit with a few of the finished products and maybe pretend, but it was incredibly dull as avant-garde PR history goes.  (Also, great username.)

Oh, I don't mind fur per se as a challenge. I just think the designers should have had total freedom in an Avant-garde contest. 

That bait (a day's R&R!) and switch (no extra time to work, haha!) was cruel!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Oh, I don't mind fur per se as a challenge. I just think the designers should have had total freedom in an Avant-garde contest. 

That bait (a day's R&R!) and switch (no extra time to work, haha!) was cruel!

Someone upthread speculated that it possibly was due to schedules. They kind of had to let Anna (still don't have all names) get medical care, and the guest judges may have had other commitments. Makes sense. Another day would have been good though. 

• Love 4
On 12/2/2021 at 10:34 PM, WaltersHair said:

That red monstrosity was in the top? Car wash Octopus 3.0 and the cage thing works for FUR.

It was one of my least favorites.  I didn't find it particularly compelling, original, or avant garde.  We've seen the hanging strips thing from too many designers, too many times on PR.  The headpiece was the only saving grace for me, and even that bugged, with the way it moved so freely.  The only one I liked less was Octavio's/partner's (I'm terrible with name retention) animal print hooker monstrosity.

For me, the pink quilted dress & coat lining was the best part of that look, though I would agree in hindsight that it was too heavy when coupled with the bulbous patchwork fur coat, and it was a faux fur challenge.

The rear view of Aaron/Bones' garment was the best part of it.  I didn't think that forcing a high collar framework thingy necessarily made it avant garde.  It was an elegant looking gown, again, not necessarily avant garde.  Maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand what avant garde is, lol.

They correctly chose the obvious winner.  I agree with the ^poster who pegged Chasity as being a little too self enamored. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, DEL901 said:

For once, the save was well used.  Not her fault Christine has immunity.     I liked the skirt on the winning design, but the pink just looked like a bath mat to me.   

Aaron totally disappointed me.  And he never properly apologized.  I don’t even like Bones, but he totally in the right.  Aaron cut him out every step of the way.    And Bones was right about the stir sticks.  

Bones handled that kerfuffle far better than Aaron, and frankly, surprised me with the maturity he showed in doing so.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Mimi's balletic arched back and arm movements were the winners of the night, for me (for you).

The flapping straps thing has been done over and over on PR- making it partly out of some fake fur doesn't make it fresh and new. And I'm tired of the macrame stuff showing up in all of (can't even remember her name's) work.

I'm interested in the contestant's background stories about their struggles for one, maybe 2 episodes. At this point, very much not interested in hearing it again, especially when the judges jump into the victim contest, too. 

I'm mostly watching for Christian at this point.

You win.

8 hours ago, dbell1 said:

So, Aaron created costumes for a winged monkey in a Wizard of Oz play and now he’s an expert? K. Bones had TWO looks in the top 3 in the first episode, so he might actually know something. Aaron got personal and really nasty. If he’s pissed at the judges because he thinks they’re ignoring his fabulousness, then go yell at them. Glad they pulled the stick out of his back end to prop up that stupid hood. And shut up Anna. 

Kristina should have gone home. I hate group challenges, the person with immunity can send dog crap down the runway and not care. And Octavio can follow her. Has he made anything that hasn’t been garbage bag inspired?

8 hours ago, After7Only said:

This happens every season, this season is no different.   You can insert a variety of sad stories.   Almost all of them have a I was insecure or struggled because of xyz, but now I believe in myself yada yada….. this show has more minorities this year than usual  which could be why it is being brought up more. 

He said he was a physics major and he knows physics, not that he had degree.   

bones also had 2 of the top looks week 1.   He’s also had some not great looks but not so bad it warranted that level of dismissiveness.   

I really liked Aaron before this episode. However, I really think that he believes Bones is beneath him from his total lack of respect for his partner in this challenge. He obviously could not make that collar stand up without support and anyone could see that.

His pissy apology was more to being annoyed Bones was right than being sorry for his own behavior.

I understand not liking a designer’s aesthetic but to be such an ass about a totally reasonable suggestion was over the top.

• Love 16
22 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Mimi's balletic arched back and arm movements were the winners of the night, for me (for you).

The flapping straps thing has been done over and over on PR- making it partly out of some fake fur doesn't make it fresh and new. And I'm tired of the macrame stuff showing up in all of (can't even remember her name's) work.

I'm interested in the contestant's background stories about their struggles for one, maybe 2 episodes. At this point, very much not interested in hearing it again, especially when the judges jump into the victim contest, too. 

I'm mostly watching for Christian at this point.

An "Idol" Randy reference! Awesome, Dawg!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, qtpye said:

I really do not get the Octavio love on this show. His looks remind me of garbage bags and he always blames his partners for failures.

Aaron showed his ass last night and I really like him before. Bravo to Bones for being the bigger person

I don't get the Octavio love, either. All I can think of is that they want to appear more cutting edge by propping a designer who's supposedly so "street." Mostly, it's barely fit for the gutter.

Bones made a good point that he didn't have the privilege of getting as deranged as Aaron. Just sit down, A A Ron.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Bones handled that kerfuffle far better than Aaron, and frankly, surprised me with the maturity he showed in doing so.

unfortunately, I suspect this wasn't Bones' first rodeo with white privilege.

• Love 13

I understand that it can't be done with CoVID restrictions, but I miss the judges taking a closer look at the top/bottom looks. A lot of mistakes  go by when they can't look  more closely at the designs.

• Love 8
On 12/3/2021 at 12:54 AM, lovesnark said:

Kini did a black version of the winning look on his season.

exactly. I liked Kini's version better than the version Chastity and Prajje did and because I had seen that look before, I couldn't get behind them winning. To me their dress looked nice but it's a repeat (at least until you get to the painted fabric) so nothing interesting.

I was so disappointed in Aaron. It was bad enough in the work room but when he unloaded at the party--what the what? I hold people extra accountable when they have had a few minutes to cool off, take a breach and calm down. He had had that time and was still such a jerk. Plus he did not give a full apology. 

Bones deserves extra credit for (a) remaining surprisingly calm. He was the same way working with Anna when other designers would have gotten wound up with her bossiness; and (b) clearly articulate his view, calmly and directly to the person as opposed to only doing that in talking heads. It's hard to say what you mean directly to a person and Bones is not afraid to do it.

• Love 16
On 12/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, ichbin said:

Okay, Aaron was an ass during this episode, particularly the way he interacted with Bones, but....we're several challenges into this season now and his work has mostly been relegated to the middle and when rated high has lost to several inferior designs.  He has presented well designed and well crafted looks pretty much each week.  No tongue baths for him though.  I'm guessing his behavior was being influenced by a certain amount of frustration.  Not saying he was right, just that between the stress of competition and a continuing losing streak despite sending out quality could have pushed him in a corner he should have crawled out of before acting out.

I can agree with all this. But ranting at a Black man as if he has no clue what he's doing, when he's also a designer himself, and part of your team, and then snorting "White privilege" as if it's a thing that doesn't exist, isn't excusable under any conditions. 

• Love 21
2 hours ago, watch2much said:

I suspect this wasn't Bones' first rodeo with white privilege.

In this case I really think it isn't an issue of race so much as an issue of artist privilege and the over inflated ego and over inflation of abilities which often accompanies a lot of people I have met in the creative community.  I doubt his behavior would have been any different if partnered with another designer whose work he doubted even if they were of another race, gender or whatever.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Tony said:

They should have revoked the immunity and sent Christina home for that quilted comforter she called a dress.

And to take it one more step 'fashion-forward'...  A TRUE Avant-Garde designer could've stitched this all together and have passed it off as an Adult "ONESIE."  "Slip your footsies into the cozy quilted comforter-front -- while luxuriating in the warmth of its fuzzy-wuzzy back and sleeves.   Who needs pricy comforters when you can sleep in your own stylish Adult ONESIE!?"  🐿️    🙃

• LOL 4

That puffy leapord print dress with black vinyl tacked on with safety pins was by far the worst, both conceptually and in execution. At least the cocoon coat had an interesting reveal and was finished when it went down the runway.  That said the winning dress was out of this world stunning, and I was so relieved they didn't choose the cliche strappy/masked look over it because they loved the explanation the designers gave on the runway. 

• Love 8

The “message” behind the cage look was such bullshit because Christian came up with that design! That was a prime example of the designers inventing a message after the fact to fit the look in order to score points with the judges and I am annoyed that it worked. Very glad they did not win because of it!

”Hmm she’s wearing a cage over her face, what could this stand for? Aha! We are both minorities so people put us in cages!”

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

The “message” behind the cage look was such bullshit because Christian came up with that design! That was a prime example of the designers inventing a message after the fact to fit the look in order to score points with the judges and I am annoyed that it worked. Very glad they did not win because of it!

”Hmm she’s wearing a cage over her face, what could this stand for? Aha! We are both minorities so people put us in cages!”

The lamest occurrence (thus far) of a very lame season. 

• Love 3

I got the impression that they had more construction time on Runway Day than usual to make up for the afternoon they lost due to the accident. They had already used the morning in designing, collaborating and at Mood. The fact that they didn't seem upset at having only one day made me think there had been some accommodation made.

Christian on WWHL was very entertaining.  Martha Stewart did most of the talking but the director included CS in most of the shots for his reactions. Martha was funny and quite real too.

• Love 9
On 12/4/2021 at 10:24 PM, Adeejay said:

Can't help but wonder if Aaron would have spoken to Bones like that if he were a white male.

Looking over the contestants, Aaron was the only white male in the season (I think?), so it's hard to find a comparison that fits.  However, Octavio has been very close to Bones as far as low vs. high results this season, and I admit can see Aaron being similarly frustrated with him as well. 

• Love 2

I think that at the point when Aaron was critical of Bones as an artist (taking it beyond the realm of this challenge) that Bones would have been more than justified to slap Aaron in the face. Not punch, that sends a different message. Slap. Especially given the BS apology we saw. 

How am I to take seriously Elaine's legitimacy as a fashion judge when she criticizes an avant-garde look for not being wearable. No shit Elaine, that's the fucking (sorry Anna) point. 

• Love 8
On 12/4/2021 at 7:24 PM, Adeejay said:

Can't help but wonder if Aaron would have spoken to Bones like that if he were a white male.  

We'll never know, but I suspect he would if it was a designer he didn't respect and thought didn't have his level of "expertise" with the fur.

When he was going off, he specifically took Bones to task for sending out unfinished hems and unlined garments, which I kind of agree with, although that was neither the time nor the place nor any of his business.

I hope there was a real apology issued that we didn't see. It seemed like they had made up after the judging was finished, or maybe that was just all's well that ends well....good on Bones for being the bigger person though.

Man, what is up with the men this season? With the exception of Zayden, they are all a bunch of asses.........

Regarding Chris March and Christian's winning avant garde look, it's kind of ironic that it too featured a giant stand up collar..........

And add me to the people who thinks Octavio should have gone this week, but I think they didn't want to punish the team that had someone who was injured. They should have just said they weren't eliminating anyone this week because of the accident and loss of a day's work. It was crappy to eliminate someone who's partner had immunity. I'm glad Christian saved her.

As a whole, I think this is one of the worst seasons/groups of designers this show has ever had.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, Lassus said:

Looking over the contestants, Aaron was the only white male in the season (I think?), so it's hard to find a comparison that fits.  However, Octavio has been very close to Bones as far as low vs. high results this season, and I admit can see Aaron being similarly frustrated with him as well. 

I really do not think Aaron would dare to speak to Octavio that way. It seems like the contestants and judges are a bit in awe of him because he is already sort of a name? I really don't know.

However, I do not know if would be due to Octavio being white, his age, or his experience in the industry.

Whatever reason, Aaron should never speak to anyone that way...period.

On 12/5/2021 at 1:41 PM, OlderThanDirt said:

I got the impression that they had more construction time on Runway Day than usual to make up for the afternoon they lost due to the accident. They had already used the morning in designing, collaborating and at Mood. The fact that they didn't seem upset at having only one day made me think there had been some accommodation made.

Christian on WWHL was very entertaining.  Martha Stewart did most of the talking but the director included CS in most of the shots for his reactions. Martha was funny and quite real too.

I think Bones just took the high road and put his feeling aside to successfully finish the challenge. I think Aaron still has a lot of contempt for Bones unless he proves me wrong by sincerely apologizing in the next episode.

• Love 2
On 12/2/2021 at 11:12 PM, backgroundnoise said:

I did not like the winning look at all.  Totally expected, nothing new there at all.  I actually liked the big coat, but agreed about the inside quilting being too much.

I liked the color of the inside quilted part--I even like that it was quilted.  I think this might have worked if the inside "dress" had actually been a separate dress, not connected to the coat.  That was strange.

• Love 6

Regarding Aaron and would he have taken off on a white man like that - I think he would if he perceived the white man as being weaker, physically, emotionally, etc. I could see him wreaking havoc with Blayne or Tim, the unicorn guy. And with any woman except one who had already demonstrated balls of steel or whose work was so good he couldn't disrespect her. (Aaron trying to pull that on Kenley would be interesting to see.) 

I was just in New York and I saw some scaffolding which I think explained for me what happened. On Broadway between 84th and 85th there is construction from mid-block to the corner which completely blocks off the sidewalk, so there is scaffolding that extends out into the street (and a driving lane) in order to create a pedestrian walkway for that half block. I haven't reaatched to verify but I think the van ran into that type of setup.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, LouiseIndy said:

I liked the color of the inside quilted part--I even like that it was quilted.  I think this might have worked if the inside "dress" had actually been a separate dress, not connected to the coat.  That was strange.

Yes, it would be extremely hot and you would never be able to take off the jacket.

Avant-Garde does not need to be wearable but that is ridiculously impractical.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, LouiseIndy said:

I liked the color of the inside quilted part--I even like that it was quilted.

I liked it somewhat, too...if it was a standalone dress. But the quilting (or kilting, as Kristina called it -- I was expecting a Scotsman) was too heavy paired with the yeti coat.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2021 at 8:40 AM, Lamb18 said:

Regarding Aaron and would he have taken off on a white man like that - I think he would if he perceived the white man as being weaker, physically, emotionally, etc.

Which I believes exposes his feelings of superiority over a black man. Bones clearly out strips him physically and yet he felt no reticence with coming at him despite there being no point at which Bones suggested something that would impact the design negatively. While Bones may have had some bottom finishes I don't believe Aaron designing costumes for a local production of the Wizard of Oz  sets him up in the say category as the designers Christian mentioned were brining back faux fur this season.

Prajje and Chaisty's dress was derivative and the pink top looked like someone skinned a Pepto-soaked muppet. Kristina and Chantal made something dull yet with an inappropriately jarring contrast. Formless and drab on the outside, shocking pink yet uninspired on the inside. Octavio and Anna when for cheap, sexy puffer mini and failed. Zayden and Coral were also too safe-edgy and derivative. Aaron and Bones, pulled off Dothraki regal (if one can really intuit if that is the case for that marauding hoarde)but it just looked like a fuzzy version of a "regal outfit"-Elizabeth I on the Steppe perhaps?

As others have mentioned nothing really avant garde here. 

Edited by staphdude
  • Love 5

I agree Adam feels superior to black people, or that it's "safe" to berate them like that. (I have some relatives who've had that attitude toward me.)

I was looking forward to seeing Anna in an avant garden challenge ever since she made an outfit that was two fabric boxes. I was thinking that outfit fitted an avant garden challenge than whatever the challenge was.

• Love 2

None of it seemed avant garde to me.   Avant garden variety maybe ... 

Avant garde has been so wantonly dumbed down by this show that it's come to a point where the contestants can throw together any misshapen, misbegotten marriage of fabric and "story" and call it avant garde -- and the judges gleefully fawn over it.    I guess they have to.  If they sat there, shook their heads and said, "do even one of you have an idea of what avant garde is?" they wouldn't have a show.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the suggestion of incorporating a cage into Zayden and Coral's design Christian's idea?  Yet Zayden and Coral both stood there in front of the world and told the judges their cage headpiece was inspired by their shared history of racial/gender oppression. 

I thought Praaje and Chasity's design was just awful.   The color and texture of the fur screamed "toilet seat cover," while the so-called "pillars" seemed like an afterthought explanation for the odd shape.   It didn't look anything like pillars.  And the spatter paint job ... ugh.  Prajje can go to that well only so many times.  It's like "when in doubt, paint."  Many seem to feel that the model "sold" the design but a garment needs to stand or fall on its own merits, not which model wears it or how well they move or bend while wearing it.  Something's wrong when the model receives greater  praise than the outfit itself.

Kudos to Billy Porter for sitting through that.   One day he's the star of Pose, the next he's judging a bunch of posers ...   It was nice the way he tried to talk up the designs and encourage the designers.  But it would be amusing to know what he really thought.  

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, millennium said:

The color and texture of the fur screamed "toilet seat cover," while the so-called "pillars" seemed like a reverse-engineered explanation for the odd shape.  

That's what it reminded me of...it was driving me crazy wondering why it felt so familiar and reminded me of grandmas

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

So Anna inserts herself into the argument, telling Bones not to use bad words, but had nothing to say when Woke Meg was telling Kenneth "Fuck you, dude.  Fuck you"?  

Also if you don't have an original idea, then use Christian's, acknowledge it wasn't your original idea to the judges.  I also thin Christian shouldn't be that specific when giving pointers.  

And really, macrame?  Maybe interesting once, but all i'm seeing is one of those 70s plant hangers.

Also does Elaine know what the word "speechless" means?  Bc she was def not without speech. 

• Love 2