Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: Fashion Is Back, Baby!

• Start Topic

Good lord these sob stories! News flash: Everyone suffered during COVID. And why does every design have to have a ‘story’. 
Finally Katie goes home. She seemed like a nice lady but this was not the competition for her. And did she pass the torch to Bones, that was awful, like he sewed a bunch of bedspread ruffles together. 
Kristina’s was ok, not sure it was the best. I liked Corals red dress better. And I loved the black dress with the gold necklace that was safe the best. 
Except for the bottom three I thought most of the designs were better than I expected considering most of the accessory item were really out there weird. 

• Love 24

I don’t live in NYC or L.A., never been to Paris or Milan or Tokyo.  In these and other global fashion capitals , do chic, fashionable people really wear any of these type of designs?  Or hats?  Or giant floral gloves?  I get all the comments about the designs being “red carpet ready” or visualize their “girl” at the Met Gala…high end, haute couture, flamboyant, even absurdist gowns are expected to stand out and WOW the audience.  But those kind of events aren’t happening every day.  So is Project Runway just looking for the next red carpet designer?  

Thank you judges for letting Katie go back to her family and preventing her from showing me any more Rainbow Brite clothes.  Maybe there is a customer for Katie’s Clown Couture, so good luck to her and her brand.

• LOL 8
  • Love 16

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nina was so OBSESSED with Katie and gave her chance after chance after chance after chance!  How many times was she on the bottom?  6?  SO EVERY SINGLE EPISODE!?  COULD THAT BE RIGHT?!

WHO ELSE HAS EVER GOTTEN CHANCES LIKE THAT?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 23

Katie seems like a nice woman, but it is like she is on a different show than everyone else.  I figured she was doomed when they showed her baby picture and when I saw her dress.  If you want to design something to sit on the floor modestly to play with your children, maybe do a romper.  

This group of designers don't make me happy.  I was glad Octavio didn't win with his drama and hat box.  I just felt it looked like he went for something easy to throw together.  Instead of making a bubble thingy like a hefty bag, he split the bag open to flounce, if that makes any sense at all.  Bones could save that look for the avant garde challenge.  I didn't hate it as much as the judges.

• Love 14

It was really hard to see, but the so-called "chainmaille dress" or black dress with gold jewelry collar was Anna's creation.

15 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Thank you judges for letting Katie go back to her family and preventing her from showing me any more Rainbow Brite clothes.  Maybe there is a customer for Katie’s Clown Couture, so good luck to her and her brand.

Very diplomatic of you, Busyoctober.  😚

It's too bad  the positive feedback she got on   the Halloween show where she presented the  look that was the biggest  departure from the   juvenile frocks in  primary colors with wacky oversized collars she herself favors and presents  versions of each week, didn't spur her on to continue to stretch herself  beyond what she herself likes to  wear.

I got the impression Octavio thought he had this one. Can you imagine that look on someone of average height?

• Love 16

When Kristina was describing how she could incorporate the western boots into her trip to Mars, all I could think of was Steve Miller's "Space Cowboy." And, no, I wasn't ready for that. 

It was Katie's time to go. Actually, it was past time.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

I hate what Coral did to the hat.  I thought Pajje's dress was dowdy.  But even so, I think this runway was  mostly good.  I liked almost everything.  And I'm glad one of the judges pointed out the weightiness of Katie's dress. Aside from the pattern, I couldn't figure out what looked off about it, and that was it.  And that asymmetrical hem was all wrong.  She seems sweet but she is so new to this and so over her head, it was time to go.

• Love 18

I’ve seen singer Erykah Badu wear hats and looks like what Octavio showed so I could see someone like her or Rihanna wearing that outfit and hat. 
I liked the top 3 looks, but wished that Anna and Aaron’s looks could have been recognized too. I think with Anna and Coral’s looks it would be hard to sell the accessory separately (which I’m assuming would be the goal). I thought Aaron’s bag was great for a resort look and would be a great beach bag. I loved the retro glam look that Prajie gave us and the gloves really stood out. I can see girls buying those for a prom look or a bride for a wedding. I also liked Christina’s winning look and I found myself thinking about what else I could pair each of those pieces with. It was very smart from a business standpoint. 

• Love 16

I knew Katie was toast when I saw Nina's face as the judges agreed who was leaving. Maybe the guest judge, who appreciated Kristina's work and her business sense, helped Nina see the (very colorful, but juvenile) writing on the wall. 

Edited by buttersister
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

Like many others have said, Katie seems like a nice woman.  However, I will not miss her clown clothes or her ugly, unicorn vomit-patterned fabrics.  Rainbow Brite had better fashion sense than to wear that shit.

Every thing Katie made either gave me flashbacks to horrifying children's clown dolls or a Crazy Rich Asians quote:

"I'm not sure if it's working or if she looks like a clown's tampon."

"On a heavy day."

I think Christian begged her to adjust the hem because when it was long, I wondered if she was flat-out finally making a clown's jumpsuit.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
  • LOL 13
  • Love 6

For the past couple weeks I just kept thinking “please let it be Katie they send home”. Not because I hate her or even dislike her but because she was so far outside her depth it was literally painful for me to watch. Okay, maybe not painful, but definitely made my stomach churn at the start of each challenge when I’d see her draw that same dumb clown collar.  That’s all she seems able to do and I just wanted it to end.

• Love 24
5 minutes ago, T Summer said:

Does anyone else think Elaine has been looking younger in the past 2-3 episodes?

I think Elaine is absolutely gorgeous, and she was dressed beautifully tonight, too.  I don’t care about her judging enough to either  praise or curse her, but she is truly beautiful.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

I think Elaine is absolutely gorgeous, and she was dressed beautifully tonight, too.  I don’t care about her judging enough to either  praise or curse her, but she is truly beautiful.

It's like something suddenly looks less severe about her appearance. I'm trying to figure out if it's more youthful styling, or if possibly she as a am extremely  slender person may have  gained a teeny amount of weight?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, T Summer said:

It's like something suddenly looks less severe about her appearance. I'm trying to figure out if it's more youthful styling, or if possibly she as a am extremely  slender person may have  gained a teeny amount of weight?

I wonder when this was filmed?  Because she and her husband recently announced her pregnancy…maybe she was happily baby-making with her (very fine looking) husband and it gave her a glow?

• Useful 6
  • Love 14

I really like most of the designs Coral has done, but I was very surprised she covered up her design partner's hat.  I'm glad she didn't win, because the accessory was unseen.  I don't think she followed the spirit of the rules.  

I actually liked most of the designs this week. I loved what Anna and her partner did with the elaborate jewelry.  I thought Prajje made a beautiful dress to compliment the floral gloves.  Those gloves were a big statement, but I could see them being worn at a very special occasion, runway show or ceremony.  Even though Octavio rubbed me the wrong way last week, I think this week he did his best work (although I wish he hadn't asked the hat designer to make a crazy-tall hat!)

All in all, I found the competition this week to be fun and interesting.  I wonder if the accessories ignited a spark of creativity in the designers.  Most of them rose to the occasion.

• Love 22

FINALLY! I have been waiting for Katie to be eliminated.

3 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

She designs for the love child of JoJo Siwa, Rainbow Brite, and Betsey Johnson.

Perfect description of her customer.

Edited by GaT
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

There's no crying in fashion!

The hat Octavio's design partner made reminded me of traditional Korean men's hats.  I was glad he didn't win but it wasn't the worst thing he's made all season.

Thank goodness Groundhog Day is over and Katie is finally leaving! I couldn't take another clown costume on the runway.  She seems really nice but she simply cannot figure out what to do with her aesthetic in this kind of company. She is just completely out of step.

I wish they'd stop with the plus size models because they are really doing them no favors. They either shovel them into a skin tight sausage dress or put them in neck down to there and slit up to here sheaths and crop tops that do their bodies no favors. And they never (I haven't seen it yet) know how to support their breasts.  Lots of side boob, bouncy boob, barely contained boob...Corral the girls, kids. I've always thought that designers tend to be gay men who design for women who are built like men.  Boobs exist. Deal with it.

Personally I didn't like Kristina's look. It looked like it was unfitted. In fact I look at most of the looks this season and wonder why they all look so ill fitting. They mostly don't look like outfits/dresses specifically made for their models. They look off the rack fitting. Maybe that's just me. I don't know.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
Because spelling counts
  • Love 20
8 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I wish they'd stop with the plus size models because they are really doing them no favors. They either shovel them into a skin tight sausage dress or put them in neck down to there and slit up to here sheaths and crop tops that do their bodies no favors. 

When Shantall's red dress came down the runway, I thought "Finally, someone showed us a plus-size model's figure in a flattering way"

Edited by Fretful
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Thank you.

That chartreuse winner I disliked, and the shoes even more. 

Yeah, I didn't get it. I've  really liked things Kristina made  before, but that mess looked like an unmade bed to me

Edited by T Summer
typo
  • Love 11
42 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

No comments on Chasity's Halloween Horror? If there weren't some even more spectacular misses I would have expected it on the bottom. Wish Anna's had been one of the top looks.

I had so much trouble getting through this, kept either zoning out or dozing off.

Yes, I've been thinking about Chasity stating this week's was some of her very best work...  after that gorgeous sheer black and white dress  she created in week 3! I don't get that big cut out over the bust in garments no matter how much I keep seeing it.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Note to Zayden’s partner: Can Zayden stop the eviction from happening from inside the PR house? Will calling to fret about it cause him to lose focus and possibly destroy his chance of winning a life-changing opportunity? Do you think you could maybe just handle it on your own like a grown-up, Zayden’s Partner? FFS.

To be fair to Zayden's partner, we don't actually know the details of their relationship.  It sounded from the phone call as though they don't live together, and perhaps he doesn't have the financial means to bail Zayden out.  And/or may not want to go out on a financial limb for Zayden - maybe he'll never get the money back?

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

I was very happy with the winner. I thought it was very wearable and uyes, I even liked the paper bag!

Bones really bugged me last night wearing the hats.

Honestly don't see any woman over 20 wearing Katie's clothes.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I thought Pajje's dress was dowdy.

It looked like a Butterick pattern that had not been ironed. Perhaps if the fabric had been different; I hate that much pale mint green.

Bones needs to go - his pile-on of hats and wigs is distracting, and his design fashion visions are not well executed. Actually, I'd love to see some mesh/chain mail designs from him without all the voluminous ruffles.

I thought the right person won. I'd never wear that design, but it showed ingenuity and business smarts.

Katie's prints remind me of Escada. If she'd get rid of the clown collars she might make something pretty. She's trying to marry modesty with a singular design vision and it just doesn't work.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 13

I dunno.  Katie's problem was simply making TOO MUCH of the same thing.  IF she had been able to branch out on occasion it would have been fine.

I think the criticisms this time were for the scope more than this dress, which honestly looked fine - one of her better ones actually, even the asymmetrical hem. 

I mean, sure she deserved to go; but between her and Bones this week I'm taking her in a walk.  He's been his own hot garbage couture parade and THIS WEEK his dress was worse than hers.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Personally I didn't like Kristina's look.

I was uninspired by it as well.  The color was off-putting to me, and I was trying to envision a color that I would have preferred.  Never did come up with one.

I was sure that Praje (sp?) would win.  To me, that was the epitome of editorial and high style.  I really liked Octavio's, though that hat height was, again, ridiculous.  I liked the red lacy dress, but not as much as the judges did.  As I sit here the next morning, I can't even recall the other designs, so that's telling in my case.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

For the past couple weeks I just kept thinking “please let it be Katie they send home”. Not because I hate her or even dislike her but because she was so far outside her depth it was literally painful for me to watch. Okay, maybe not painful, but definitely made my stomach churn at the start of each challenge when I’d see her draw that same dumb clown collar.  That’s all she seems able to do and I just wanted it to end.

I'm dating myself here, but Katie always made me think of S1 Starr--a self-taught designer who only designed for herself and couldn't read the room very well.  

And Bones is straying into S2 Santino territory.  I can't believe he thought anyone would ever wear that to anything.

The opinion of the guest judge made me take a second look at Kristina's and I saw the merit there.  At first look, it's too much shapeless blah green, but the pieces individually were rather nice.  I didn't like the shoes though; I'd prefer something brighter to contrast more with the light color of the garment.

I liked the challenge overall.  The flowered gloves are the way to go with colorful and out-there.  This challenge reminded me of the Philip Tracy(?) one from the past--the guy who designs those crazy hats the English royals wear.

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 10

Does it seem odd that the 2 designers who are all about hats, Bones and Octavio, got an accessory designer who were all about hats? No? Just me?  Ok

Having said that, I think the hat Bones had to work with was ugly and would look awful on anything, way too big and stiff, but his sewn together curtains look was pretty bad and didn't go well with it.  I think a floor length sleek gown might have at least added something that would work.

I was afraid Octavio was going to win because the dress really did have a nice flow and the hat and large bag worked well with it.

I liked that Khristina's was well made and each item worked together or separately, but I would have given the win to Coral.  I just loved that dress and, yeah, the mantilla did distract from the accessory hat, but it was revealed on the runway. 

I usually like Aaron's work, but I didn't see anything unique or new about his bathing suit with the long coverup.

But, at least Katie finally got sent home to play dress maker with her kids on the floor.

• Love 7

I could see Katie as a maker of outfits for 8-year-old girls whose parents want to have a striking professional photo done each year for a birthday.  Katie could partner with someone who owns a circus tent and equipment, and the resulting photos could be adorbs.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I joined late and didn't catch what the challenge was -- they were already making the clothes. I happened to tune in when they were showing Katie's dress and my reaction was why is she creating a circus clown outfit -- what is the challenge?  That was ridiculous. And even after I knew what the challenge was, when I saw the shoes designed to go with her outfit, they looked like circus clown shoes. I truly do not understand how anything she did was FAS-SHUN enough to get on this show. 

All in all, this is a pretty underwhelming season. There's not a lot of originality or creativity. For the flower challenge, as an example, I can think of several other designers from previous seasons (Christian first among them) who would have not only created a beautiful fabric but then styled the outfit to resemble the flower -- like a lily with a tapered piece coming off the shoulder or from behind her head or something so that not only the fabric was floral but the outfit design itself reflected elements of the flowers. 

No seasons recently have held a candle to previous seasons for the avant garde challenge and I have to say my expectations for next week are low. I'm probably out after next week. 

And this whole designers being matchy-matchy with their designs is just stupid. it seems like every week this season the judges reference what the designers are wearing as better than what they present. Most designers who come out after their runway shows are typically wearing black and white or some other neutral color (the Betsey Johnsons of the world excluded).  Stop worrying so much about matching your model and focus on the design that's supposed to win you this contest! 

I've always felt like top Chef, PR, and the like were different from other reality shows because they require actual skill and talent.  I will never not love Christian but I feel like this season of PR especially has devolved into just another reality show. Sad. 

On a more positive note, Elaine is hitting it out of the park as a judge. She was amazing last night -- I don't know if it is intentional or not, but she is emerging as the lead judge, and I am loving it! 

• Love 11

When Christian was having his time with Katie, I think we all saw that outfit at that length and thought "Clown Costume." Katie is so attached to those flouncy collars and she wanted to put more trim around it. I'm sure Christian was holding back from saying, "Katie, you have to change something about it because it's horrible." Changing the length to a cute mini would have made it at least less costume-y. At the same time, fabric is a problem for her. It's all durable/washable heavy cotton. She could have elevated that look by using the pattern in a sheer fabric, making it pants/culottes and decreasing the color. It could have looked fun. 

I hated that I loved Octavio's garment. 

I think Kristina's win was correct. She sold the shoes, the pieces were interesting individually and together. It was sellable. 

• Love 15

The best part of this episode was the accessories. I would love to have seen HOW those shoe designers made those in just 2 days. Also loved the chain mail artist, the glove maker and the various handbag people. The clothing designs didn't live up to them, really.

• Love 20
19 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

The best part of this episode was the accessories. I would love to have seen HOW those shoe designers made those in just 2 days. Also loved the chain mail artist, the glove maker and the various handbag people. The clothing designs didn't live up to them, really.

About 8-10 years ago there was a spin-off show called Project Accessory.  I don't remember too much specifics about it but I remember that I liked it.  Of course, I didn't like everything that was made, but I enjoyed watching the creative process.

13 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

And I loved the black dress with the gold necklace that was safe the best. 

I thought that should have been the winning look.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Katie's prints remind me of Escada. If she'd get rid of the clown collars she might make something pretty. She's trying to marry modesty with a singular design vision and it just doesn't work.

3 hours ago, Lassus said:

I dunno.  Katie's problem was simply making TOO MUCH of the same thing.  IF she had been able to branch out on occasion it would have been fine.

YES!  That's exactly it; there is just TOO MUCH.  The colors AND the collars AND the ruffles AND the rick-rack...gurrrrl.  Take a cue from Prajé and those OTT gloves.  Pick one thing, let it shine.  You don't need to throw everything and the kitchen sink at every single design.

2 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

And Bones is straying into S2 Santino territory.  I can't believe he thought anyone would ever wear that to anything.

That dress was actually giving me S2 Andrae gutter water dress vibes, but not in a good way.  Andrae's dress was divine, and Bones' was just a big ol' mess.

• Love 6