Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: Fashion Is Back, Baby!

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Definitions:  

esthetic - a particular theory or conception of beauty or art : a particular taste for or approach to what is pleasing to the senses and especially sight

schtick - a usually comic or repetitious performance or routine

I don't think Katie has a design esthetic.  She has a schtick.

I was rewatching this today during the marathon, when my daughter, home for holiday break and who has not seen one episode of PR, walked in when they were discussing Katie’s dress on the runway. My kid, without missing a beat: “Looks like a clown costume.” I laughed.

(Thanks for the clarification on the spelling of “esthetic.” Obviously a word I don’t use in daily conversation often.)

Katie seems like a genuinely nice person. This just isn’t her gig, at least not yet.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, HelloOutThere said:

- HATE the designers doing the matching outfits. I find it narcissistic and honestly think many look quite silly — especially when their look is in the bottom and the designer is dressed in a matching look that makes things twice as embarrassing. The designers should be required to wear normal street clothes for judging to keep the focus on, you know, the actually runway looks. 

AGREED !

Not only narcissistic, but unprofessional.

Did you catch when Christian had his last moment reviewing Bones' design in the work room ? Christian questioned Bones wearing the sheer shirt thing himself to the runway. He even used the word "unprofessional".

It's a friggin destraction from their work. Plus they look (especially Bones) theatrical, costumey. 

It screams unserious unqualified designer. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

$12,750 pre-tax.  It's like Chopped when contestants think $20,000 pre-tax is going to allow them to open a restaurant. 

And the tax on prizes like this is -- what? -- something like 47.3%, so, at most you're getting about $6K. When I ever fantasize about winning a big lottery prize, I always estimate my "take home" as about a quarter of the total. Half off the top for not taking the yearly payments, and half again off for taxes. Helps keep my fantasies within reason, heh.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

1 hour ago, carrps said:

And the tax on prizes like this is -- what? -- something like 47.3%, so, at most you're getting about $6K. When I ever fantasize about winning a big lottery prize, I always estimate my "take home" as about a quarter of the total. Half off the top for not taking the yearly payments, and half again off for taxes. Helps keep my fantasies within reason, heh.

My family and I have a camping trip planned.  Would you like to come?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 11/19/2021 at 5:26 AM, T Summer said:

I don't get that big cut out over the bust in garments no matter how much I keep seeing it.

I think it was meant to mimic the shape of the eyes on the accessory. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:40 AM, honeywest said:

Katie actually thought she would make it to Fashion Week?

It would have been interesting to see what a collection from her would look like. It seems like she relies on the tricks she knows how to do because she lacks the knowledge and is under a time restraint. Shortening this look made it look better and then she chickened out. She needs to think past what she would wear and what other women would wear and how.

Overall the designers seemed to be more excited about this challenge and produced more dramatic looks.

I kept thinking of Alexander McQueen's Oyster Dress when Bones kept talking about his inspiration.

Harpers-Bazzar.jpg

• Love 12

I don't think Katie has a design esthetic.  She has a schtick.

She's pretty schitcky but I was trying to be polite lol.  She just has a very narrow group of people that would wear her clothing.  Most of the young moms I know wear some kind of top with black leggings as the bottom of their "uniform". Some of them might wear a calmer version of Katie's tops.  It's just not high fashion IMHO. 

I kept thinking of Alexander McQueen's Oyster Dress when Bones kept talking about his inspiration.

And I kept thinking about some tween from the 70s that was wrapped in her twin bedspread from her canopy bed while playing princess.  Plus the leotard-y arm sticking out was just weird.  I get why he used it (to keep the princess bedspread from flying off) but i just looked strange. Plus the Pringle on top. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 11/19/2021 at 8:25 AM, Lassus said:

I dunno.  Katie's problem was simply making TOO MUCH of the same thing.  IF she had been able to branch out on occasion it would have been fine.

I think the criticisms this time were for the scope more than this dress, which honestly looked fine - one of her better ones actually, even the asymmetrical hem. 

I mean, sure she deserved to go; but between her and Bones this week I'm taking her in a walk.  He's been his own hot garbage couture parade and THIS WEEK his dress was worse than hers.

They could have sent Bones home along with Katie !

• Love 7
On 11/19/2021 at 2:15 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Thank you.

That chartreuse winner I disliked, and the shoes even more. 

While I liked the overall look, and was impressed by FOUR pieces that were well done, I was really underwhelmed by the shoes.  To me, they looked like something you'd see at Walmart - plastic-y, unfinished.  And I love some edgy shoes, but quality please! 

Shantall's red dress was lovely - would look amazing on many, many women, and showcased the jewelry well.  

Prajje's dress was beyond elegant.  Nina said it tended towards costume, but I think a lot of that was styling.  Put that dress without the gloves (which were beautiful if unrealistic) and head wrap, with a great shoe and current hair/makeup, any woman could kill it.  Love some vintage classics.

Anna's gown with the amazing jewelry was simply stunning.  I cannot think of many women who wouldn't love that.  I could see that on a red carpet easily.

Bones's dress was not stellar.  There was way, way too much going on.  Too much fabric, too many gimmicks.  I got the water vibe, but it looked more like water during a hurricane, not the kind of water you'd like to be in.

Octavio is a one-noter.  Tall hat that looks like the Three Stooges would wear it, massive ruffles.  I also think he is a snake.  Hope they don't do any more partner challenges so someone else doesn't get hexed by him.

Katie - BYE FELICIA!  Agree that she just got onto the wrong show.  She cannot design for anyone but herself, and I really don't know that there would be a market for her look.  Maybe for the Japanese streetwear enthusiasts who suddenly find themselves with children and in a religion that mandates frumpy clothes?

Edited by SuzySmith
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

Katie said that she brought the fabric with her and the pattern was from a painting she made.  Maybe she should stick with painting?  Of course, we never saw the original artwork so who knows what it really looked like.  She could maybe go into homegoods style accessories-i.e. bright colored accent pillows, table clothes, etc.  A splash of colors could work in many rooms.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 11/20/2021 at 8:41 PM, heyjupiter said:

I think it was meant to mimic the shape of the eyes on the accessory. 

In which case, the wearer couldn't chide a leering man with "my eyes are up here!" because he'd be looking at her...eye!

I looked at Katie's shop from the link upthread.   She has some leggings marked down to $25 because I think she thinks the print near the crotch looks like... 2 penises?  or something?  I might actually wear such leggings with a tunic-type top (in a solid color!) and I appreciate that she has a wide range of sizes.  But her description of the piece and the issues with the print etc. sound so unprofessional!  

"we are trying to get more info"???  Wut?

WE FOUND A BIG WHOOPS!! On the leggings right there on the lady bits. Hey, some of you might like the attention. Some may might be covering up that area anyway, with our longer Paint Splash Hoodie! (AS SEEN ON THE MODEL—-WHICH IS HOW WE DIDN’T NOTICE THIS ISSUE!!) If either of those descriptions fit you, then get these leggings at a discount!!! Hooray!!!!

Spandex leggings featuring Katie’s Green Painted Print. Sizing questions, please send an email. We are trying to get more info. Models are wearing sizes XL and S. (Model wearing the size small has a 36” hip and 28” waist, and would also be able to fit a size XS.) (The second model is wearing a size XL but would also fit a 2XL). 

I like Bones.  Maybe not all his designs, but I like him.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

I looked at Katie's shop from the link upthread.   She has some leggings marked down to $25 because I think she thinks the print near the crotch looks like... 2 penises?  or something?  I might actually wear such leggings with a tunic-type top (in a solid color!) and I appreciate that she has a wide range of sizes.  But her description of the piece and the issues with the print etc. sound so unprofessional!  

Sounds like a description of a lot of the LulaRoe stuff.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
On 11/19/2021 at 8:25 AM, Lassus said:

I dunno.  Katie's problem was simply making TOO MUCH of the same thing.  IF she had been able to branch out on occasion it would have been fine.

I think the criticisms this time were for the scope more than this dress, which honestly looked fine - one of her better ones actually, even the asymmetrical hem. 

Katie needed to use some different fabrics. I sew a bit, and some looks just can't be done using plain woven cotton. It doesn't flow/drape much, and unless you're doing ruffles, it's difficult to give it bounce that isn't heavy.

Cotton is easier to work with than stretch knits, crepe, silk, satin, etc. but it's not suitable for high fashion looks.

She just isn't a couture designer.

• Love 11

Katie said she thought she’d be going to fashion week? Girl, they wouldn’t even let you be in the audience wearing those clearance rack clown getups. You’re designing a runway look - not being able to sit on the floor with your kids in it should not be a consideration. You’re not selling an off the rack look to a Talbots buyer. 

• Love 7

I can't understand Katie talking about listening to her voice.  the only time she did something the judges liked (though not top 3) was when Christain told her to scrap her idea.

her "voice" on every other design was the same--clown collar trimmed out excessively and buttons.  I looked at her website and those designs did seem as bad.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

Katie said she thought she’d be going to fashion week? Girl, they wouldn’t even let you be in the audience wearing those clearance rack clown getups. You’re designing a runway look - not being able to sit on the floor with your kids in it should not be a consideration. You’re not selling an off the rack look to a Talbots buyer. 

Talbots has decent more expensive clothes. (Or they used to, it's been a few years since I've gone in one)

Katie's stuff was more "Kindergarten teacher stuff from Christopher Banks. It always looked more like a craft project than something sewn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 11/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

She's pretty schitcky but I was trying to be polite lol.  She just has a very narrow group of people that would wear her clothing.  Most of the young moms I know wear some kind of top with black leggings as the bottom of their "uniform". Some of them might wear a calmer version of Katie's tops.  It's just not high fashion IMHO. 

Even Lularoe devotees would reject Katie’s designs.

Mixing bright colors and fabrics was awful enough but Katie had to add the clown collar and hemline ruffles to add to the ugliness on all of her garments. Christian didn’t offer her much guidance because he knew that her time was very limited on PR.

• Love 6
On 11/20/2021 at 7:49 AM, backgroundnoise said:

This.  Unless the runway garment is finished to perfection, which they never are, wasting time on making an outfit for yourself is telling the judges you care more about that than the garment they asked for.

I don't think Bones had an off night.  That is his aesthetic and it's terrible, IMO. 

Maybe they make their matching outfits outside of the time allotted for their competition looks? I dunno. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Re Christian Bones shirt post: I thought the joking around about Bones putting on a shirt was between Christian and Bones being professional while talking at the work station and not about the what he was going to wear during the judging? 

I get that Brandon was just stringing words together and this is not a snark question: Do we know what Bones' point of view/design style is yet? 

Katie got in her own way. She could have benefited greatly from the mentoring prize. I keep thinking of Kate Spade, Lily Pulitzer, Betsy Johnson and there is one more male designer (or their design house or whatever, the name escapes me at the moment) that does loud clothes. I think there is a market for what she does if she would have been able to take Christian's, and Nina's, guidance. I think Nina saw that there was potential in her and a market for her if they could have gotten her beyond the clown and childish nature of her designs. 

I still don't have names to faces down yet for the women, which is frustrating a bit when reading posts. I have to keep thinking Who was that? when reading. It's the show, not the posters. 

I don't like Octavio or his designs.  

• Love 5

I just realized - what we think of as "clown" with that ruffle-y collar, Katie is probably reading as "dress" - like a prairie dress, that's somehow coming back (again, I lived it back in the 80s).

So maybe that's what we're missing?

Edited by ML89
  • Love 3

@ML89 I agree. I loved what the skating lady wore during her judging last episode and thought Why didn't anyone make her an outfit like that? She gave them all the information and they still missed the mark. It was high collared, ruffly and a bright yellow print. That's kind of what I was trying to say about Katie, that there is a market for what she wants to do, she just needs to be mentored out of her not appealing design comfort zone.

Edited by stewedsquash
@ was wrong
  • Love 4
On 11/18/2021 at 8:13 PM, MagicEyes said:

I don’t hate Katie, and I think she has potential, but that thing looked like a clown suit. Which is fine if you’re a clown, but she’s not designing for clowns.

Thank you. My husband said "of course it's cotton, clown salary isn't high. Imagine how many kids parties she had to do to just make enough for dinner!". And those clown shoes??? It was almost offensive. Christian looked like he wanted to just walk away from that mess. 

And Bones wasn't better at all. If he's at the bottom again, he better go home. 

With Christina's outfit, I wasn't wowed into they dissected it in the runway. I loved all the pieces and the booties were a perfect match.

I'm a tiny, tubby lady, but I do love Octavio's looks. I wish I was 6'3" and 115 lbs to wear his looks. I don't normally go for that esthetic but there is something about it. 

The gloved look was brilliant. I think I would have preferred it in a linen. There was something about the fabric that wasn't quite right.

That red thing was flipping awful. Jesus Christ on a toothpick, what the actual f was it? The headpiece was lovely and I would have preferred to see it matched with maybe Navy cigarette pants and a cool crisp white shirt. Her fabric choices are um ... Choices.

But honestly, I think this is the worst group of designers I've ever watched. They lack vision (unless you count clown) and seeing skills. It's like they work with seamstresses all the time and aren't comfortable with a sewing machine.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I'm a tiny, tubby lady, but I do love Octavio's looks. I wish I was 6'3" and 115 lbs to wear his looks. I don't normally go for that esthetic but there is something about it. 

😊

• Love 1
On 11/19/2021 at 12:37 AM, 30 Helens said:

I have empathy for Katie, the self-taught creative thinker who has a distinct vision, yet lacks the confidence and skills to bring it to fruition. (Too bad she couldn’t siphon a bit of confidence from Bones, who might benefit from a slight loss of swagger.) I give her props for making it this far. But I will NOT miss seeing another iteration of Katie’s Klown Kostumes. Maybe in time, she will trust herself to think beyond the ruffle. If not, I fear her only customers will be paying with the quarters they’ve saved from their allowance.

To me, Octavio’s accessory looked like a Sorting Hat. Too bad it didn’t send him to the house of Slytherin, where he belongs.

Note to Zayden’s partner: Can Zayden stop the eviction from happening from inside the PR house? Will calling to fret about it cause him to lose focus and possibly destroy his chance of winning a life-changing opportunity? Do you think you could maybe just handle it on your own like a grown-up, Zayden’s Partner? FFS.

Could not agree more.  The partner was very selfish.   No other friend or relative to ask for help? This was a life and career  opportunity  and it could have been beneficial  for  both their futures.  Sad 

• Love 1

I just realized - what we think of as "clown" with that ruffle-y collar, Katie is probably reading as "dress" - like a prairie dress, that's somehow coming back (again, I lived it back in the 80s).

So maybe that's what we're missing?

I know Target isn't "high fashion" (even though it tries to be influenced by fashion)  but half the stuff hanging in there recently is prairie dress type stuff.  

• Love 1

I don't get the impression that Katy's esthetic changes with time, or that she is trying to be current with any prairie trend.  I think it is what she wants to wear, is a capable tailor/sewer, and would like to monitize her own style.  Someone at PR apparently felt it was worthy of a place in this cast, which is to me, the real mystery. 

With that, I don't intend to spend any more time thinking about her.  She is as they say, dunzo.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 6
On 11/19/2021 at 7:26 AM, SailorGirl said:

No seasons recently have held a candle to previous seasons for the avant garde challenge and I have to say my expectations for next week are low. I'm probably out after next week. 

I totally agree.  It's been years since any "designer" on this show has demonstrated that they understand what avant garde actually means.

• Love 2