Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E05: Polygamists in a Pandemic

• Start Topic

Kody and the wives struggle to adapt to the pandemic as a family; Robyn is terrified for her children's health; Janelle tearfully tells Kody to stay away; as he decides where he'll quarantine, Kody teaches the kids how to save toilet paper.

Air date: March 14, 2021

• Love 1

This episode is from a year ago, what is the point? Kody giving the family a primer on toilet paper use during the pandemic was ridiculous but I found it hilarious how seriously he takes his self importance, even his plunging duties.... and I guess we now know what his job is lol.  He did not appreciate the fact that Christine does the plunging in his absence haha.  He is out of control.

Edited by endure
  • LOL 5
  • Love 18
14 minutes ago, endure said:

This episode is from a year ago, what is the point? Kody giving the family a primer on toilet paper use during the pandemic was ridiculous but I found it hilarious how seriously he takes his self importance, even his plunging duties.... and I guess we now know what his job is lol.  He did not appreciate the fact the Christine does the plunging in his absence haha.  He is out of control.

I was thankful he didn't start talking about which menstrual products can be flushed.  Being Kody, you know he'd claim to be the expert.

• LOL 6
  • Love 13

I knew watching these idiots try to cope with the pandemic would be entertaining and I was right. Smh

Lol, Janelle crying about Kody coming to her house and worrying he might be infected there because of her sons being in and out and pretending it'll be so hard telling him not to come and that not seeing him as often (when we all know he goes weeks not seeing that part of the family - regularly).  Bwahahaha, Kody trying to maintain control on their family call, & the wives trying to interpret the Covid guidelines and getting it all wrong. 

We know the Browns don't handle stress well and have trouble coping with mainstream monogamous life / culture, but where, why, how did Mariah & Audrey rationalize they needed to move from Chicago to Flagstaff?  It's news to me that there was any exodus from Chicago to more rural areas that they needed to be a part of.  Meri feeling all maternal and needing to rescue her daughter was LOL.  Then Mariah and Audrey arrive from Chicago and NONE of them are wearing masks.  In fact, none of them were wearing a mask at any point on the episode. 

I know AZ didn't have as strict/widespread of a mask mandate as many other states, but for such a large family, supposedly as worried about catching Covid as they say they are, they sure didn't appear to take any precautions other than not going anywhere - except for Kody, of course, and Janelle? or Christine, whichever one said they go to the grocery store to maintain their sanity.  Geezus, what a cluster this episode was. Smh

I've been meaning to ask for a long time... what's up with Jenelle's lip?  Another cold sore?  How long have they been taping their couch interviews?  She had "it" when the season started, she still has it, how long has it been?   BTW, Janelle, smearing it with lipstick doesn't hide it.  Gawd.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Kootie fills the wives are objectifying him. Must be hard to be such a stud. 🤮🤮🤮 Janelle in tears at the thought of not seeing him every third day. Please. Appropriate that Christine was side ways at the start of the zoom meeting. 🙄🙄🙄 what a snooze fest this season is.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17

Janelle crying about not being able to see Kody is laughable. I don’t think anyone buys that they have a romantic relationship. I believe her house is where he goes to just chill. On the other hand, if Christine asked him to stay away, he would probably break out in a song and dance.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12

Then Mariah and Audrey arrive from Chicago and NONE of them are wearing masks.  In fact, none of them were wearing a mask at any point on the episode. 

At the very beginning of the pandemic, they were telling people not to wear masks. When I went to get groceries on the craziest shopping day ever, almost no one was wearing a mask. This was filmed last March, before masks became a thing.

I've been meaning to ask for a long time... what's up with Jenelle's lip?  Another cold sore? 

Janelle had skin cancer. She announced it recently on Instagram.

• Love 14

If I were Meri, the thing I would have been worried about with the move is the long drive.  Audrey was driving the big rental uhaul van and Mariah was driving the car.  I can't imagine driving from Chicago to Flagstaff alone in the car with no one to keep me awake and alert.  That is a very long distance.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

My take aways from this episode were that they were rilly rilly fillin things about Kronavirus (per Kodufus).  So stressful! So upsetting! 

His "earth time 3/22/2020" annoyed the shit out of me.

Emergency! Tub1 and Tub2 are havin to rilly leave Chicago in a hurry!! leave the Kingsize bed behind!!

• LOL 14

I wonder when Mariah withdrew from Loyola. Last week they were visiting from Chicago and announced that they were moving to Salt Lake City. That was pre Covid so maybe early March 2020 when Covid was just becoming an issue. So they return to Chicago and decide in late March they need to leave. I have a feeling that Mariah withdrew from Loyola at least in Dcember 2019. The move back to Flagstaff has a lot to do with them wanting a share of the TLC money especially with a wedding in the works. And not having to pay rent on an appointment in Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if she never finishes her MSW. 

Janelle had the skin cancer removed in May so the scenes with the huge cancer above her lip were filmed before May. In the talking heads it appears that she has a scar from the removal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

21553509-8838-4EA6-BB3D-411C76FB9400.jpeg

B2A01079-3AAE-402D-BD82-FE7E981518D9.jpeg

Lucky jerks. My state voted to kill DST three years ago but it didn't pass federally. Why? Hell if I know. God forbid we fix something that's not working, and is actively dangerous, it's too "hard."

Not that DST is a sufficient motivator to move to AZ or be involved in any way with these giblet-heads.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Cancun said:

Robyn doing the video call from her mini van in the driveway of her mini-mansion, while Kody is just inside the house on the same call. We aren’t fooled, fools...

(Also, at that point, Robyn was the only one who had figured out the “soften appearance” feature of the video conferencing app. A lifesaver for me this past year!)

I noticed that too, why the heck was she out in her driveway on the call, I could believe it being Janelle in a drive thru line. Surely there is another room in the mcmansion she could have used. She rilly didn't fool any of us

• Love 20
1 hour ago, 65mickey said:

I wonder when Mariah withdrew from Loyola. Last week they were visiting from Chicago and announced that they were moving to Salt Lake City. That was pre Covid so maybe early March 2020 when Covid was just becoming an issue. So they return to Chicago and decide in late March they need to leave. I have a feeling that Mariah withdrew from Loyola at least in Dcember 2019. The move back to Flagstaff has a lot to do with them wanting a share of the TLC money especially with a wedding in the works. And not having to pay rent on an appointment in Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if she never finishes her MSW. 

Mariah and Audrey were home in Flagstaff around Jan 17, 2020 for the big "we're moving home" meeting at Meri's house.  Then they were in Salt Lake City on March 12, 2020 for the wedding venue visit episode.  They must have flow straight back to Chicago and packed up their house because they were moving into Meri's house in Flagstaff in late march with all their belongings.  I'm assuming Mariah finished that semester online and was done with Loyola around May 2020.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

Kody teaching his grown children to wipe their butts was a new low in content, even for this bunch. I was flummoxed when Kody says he plunges all their house’s toilets, multiple times? I’ve never plunged a toilet in my life! What are these people doing to block all these toilets on the regular? Perhaps it just confirms they are all full of s***💩 

Count your blessings - it's not a pleasant task. I'm a feminist but I'm happy to label that task as a "boy chore" for all eternity. Maybe they have really low water pressure or lots of low flow toilets (popular in new builds)? Between that and kids who tend to use too much toilet paper, you could plunge toilets pretty often.

I noticed that too, why the heck was she out in her driveway on the call, I could believe it being Janelle in a drive thru line. Surely there is another room in the mcmansion she could have used. She rilly didn't fool any of us

I live in an old house with thin walls and it's not particularly large. All three of us go to the car for private calls (obviously not at the same time). I'm not saying that's what Robyn was doing but during COVID, it's actually not a bad solution.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, SuzWhat said:

Kody and Robin protesting against Janelle asking Kody to stay away seems a little...suspect. Robin actually started the show saying she was doing that because she and Sol were compromised health wise somehow.  My guess is Kody asked Janelle to say it.  That is why she was crying and why she said “you owe me”. It also explains why he immediately got on the horn with every one else and suggested they do the same. He wanted Christine and Merri to say it too. 

It seemed like she was covering when she said “if I do this...which I’m fully deciding to do”.  Sure Jan. 

I'll give Robyn that, she thinks obliquely, she has demonstrated strategic moves from the time she first appeared on the scene.

• Love 5

I've ordered toilet paper by the case for several years now. Its just handy to always have it. My love for online shopping stood me in good stead when COVID hit, I'd just received an order from Boxed.com. My friends were rushing from store to store in search of it. How I laughed from my throne of toilet paper!

All I could think of during the Great Toilet Paper Crisis of 2020 was how those people on Extreme Couponing who everyone made fun of were laughing their asses off right now. I now have a toilet paper tower of my very own.

I wonder if they're going to reveal that Kody basically quarantined at Robyn's the whole time, or if they are going to try to hide it. 

My father would never have allowed me to drive cross country like that at that age during a pandemic with only one other person helping. Kody is not a good father. We have never really seen him going out of his way for one of his kids. He just has 18 kids in a huge pile. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

If I were Meri, the thing I would have been worried about with the move is the long drive.  Audrey was driving the big rental uhaul van and Mariah was driving the car.  I can't imagine driving from Chicago to Flagstaff alone in the car with no one to keep me awake and alert.  That is a very long distance.  

I agree. They certainly could have used another pair of hands and eyes on the road, especially in that van - and rotated the driving.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, endure said:

This episode is from a year ago, what is the point? Kody giving the family a primer on toilet paper use during the pandemic was ridiculous but I found it hilarious how seriously he takes his self importance, even his plunging duties.... and I guess we now know what his job is lol.  He did not appreciate the fact that Christine does the plunging in his absence haha.  He is out of control.

Kody is a shit-ass.. heading to church now (oh, wait, the Pope is still the Pope)

12 hours ago, Raynedon said:

I knew watching these idiots try to cope with the pandemic would be entertaining and I was right. Smh

Lol, Janelle crying about Kody coming to her house and worrying he might be infected there because of her sons being in and out and pretending it'll be so hard telling him not to come and that not seeing him as often (when we all know he goes weeks not seeing that part of the family - regularly).  Bwahahaha, Kody trying to maintain control on their family call, & the wives trying to interpret the Covid guidelines and getting it all wrong. 

We know the Browns don't handle stress well and have trouble coping with mainstream monogamous life / culture, but where, why, how did Mariah & Audrey rationalize they needed to move from Chicago to Flagstaff?  It's news to me that there was any exodus from Chicago to more rural areas that they needed to be a part of.  Meri feeling all maternal and needing to rescue her daughter was LOL.  Then Mariah and Audrey arrive from Chicago and NONE of them are wearing masks.  In fact, none of them were wearing a mask at any point on the episode. 

I know AZ didn't have as strict/widespread of a mask mandate as many other states, but for such a large family, supposedly as worried about catching Covid as they say they are, they sure didn't appear to take any precautions other than not going anywhere - except for Kody, of course, and Janelle? or Christine, whichever one said they go to the grocery store to maintain their sanity.  Geezus, what a cluster this episode was. Smh

I've been meaning to ask for a long time... what's up with Jenelle's lip?  Another cold sore?  How long have they been taping their couch interviews?  She had "it" when the season started, she still has it, how long has it been?   BTW, Janelle, smearing it with lipstick doesn't hide it.  Gawd.

According to Janelle (der) it is "benign" melanoma.. whatever that is.. I worked in the medical field for 25 yrs.. never heardof that one.  Janelle's best bet is to 'fake' Covid.. yuk, who would want that creepy curly freak in their house

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

Kody was insane with irritation that the wives were making their own COVID decisions and weren’t even pretending to listen to him and follow his lead. Good for them.

While Kody sees himself as an endlessly wise and strong leader and someone whose wives and children desperately need to have his guidance he has proven a million times over he is an idiotic buffoon. He isn’t capable of making any smart decisions concerning the family.

• Love 20

Meri, Mariah, Audrey = SELFISH ASSHOLES.

The rest of us abide by the rules and stay home and these c-words think of no one but themselves.  They bend the rules for themselves, but yell at the world when anyone else does wrong in their eyes. 

I despise each of them. 

• Love 13

I don't think the move by those two was so dangerous.  They are in their twenties.  At that age I drove all over the place alone.  Now, as a COL, I hesitate to drive 4 hours by myself.

Kody was giving the wrong lecture. He should have told them to flush the toilet more frequently so it didn't get stopped up. That's all he cares about.  It's not like he pays for all of the toilet paper being used.

ETA:  Wow!  Just now watching and I saw the shots of Kody's bald head and hair plugs!  LOL!

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 12
13 hours ago, Raynedon said:

Then Mariah and Audrey arrive from Chicago and NONE of them are wearing masks.  In fact, none of them were wearing a mask at any point on the episode. 

This was during the time Fauci said we didn’t need to wear masks, he changed his mind later in the pandemic.  

Meri so wanted Kody to be so concerned about Mariah that he would fly or drive to Chicago with her and rescue them.  Doesn’t she know he cannot do that as he needs to be available to comfort Robyn’s children and carry them off to their bedroom if needed.  

If Janelle does not want to chance Kody being at her house why does Robyn give a shit?  Why should she be forced to follow a group decision? Is it a cult or a family, sometimes I wonder.  

Mariah once said she liked polygamy, wonder if her and Audrey will bring in other wives.  Kody would love that, since I think he is really not that crazy about her lifestyle choice no matter what he says on the show.  Also, is Kody telling Meri that Mariah and Audrey must have separate bedrooms like he did the last time they were going to stay with Meri?  They were not married so he said it was inappropriate.  Hey Kody you sleep with 3 women who you aren’t married to, maybe Audrey and Mariah should just do a spiritual thing like you then it would be okay.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I live in an old house with thin walls and it's not particularly large. All three of us go to the car for private calls (obviously not at the same time). I'm not saying that's what Robyn was doing but during COVID, it's actually not a bad solution.

I agree, sitting in the car helps when multiple people in the house are trying to be on separate calls. It was just such an eye roll that they were on the same call.  Just sit together and quit tryin’ to manipulate the optics of the situation!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The Toilet Paper Talk had me horrified and mesmerized in equal measure. And once again I marveled that I, an intelligent human being with a life, was watching this colossal douchebag hold forth on toilet paper. 

He promised the audience his talk on the birds & the bees later, but I suspect that they've already heard or learned.  His audience was the married adult couple of Aspyn & Mitch, declared raging bisexual Gwendlyn (Age 17), 16-year old Ysabel and 10-year old Truely.  ("It's my choice.  This is my body.")  If not, they can refer to Mykelti's high school years for Kody's lessons on biology and hormones.  

Also, Kody got cranky when Christine suggested that he rotate between homes, showering and washing clothes at each as soon as he arrived.  He nearly appropriated Truely's line and age, when he complained, "You guys are talking about my body.  I feel like I'm being passed around like a rag doll now."  Thirty years on, and Christine and Kody's plumbing issues just continue to clog their marriage.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, SuzWhat said:

My guess is Kody asked Janelle to say it.  That is why she was crying and why she said “you owe me”.

This makes so much sense, because I couldn't figure out why he would owe her anything if she was the one asking him to do something.

Why could Janelle not tell her sons they couldn't socialize with their friends? Or that if they chose to do so, they would have to isolate in the house to protect the rest of the family? My kid - same age as Gabe - understood that socializing wasn't allowed.

Meri wanting to fly out to Chicago was ridiculous. Her daughter is an adult. Her daughter's partner is an adult. They are capable of adulting. They can ask for help, you can offer help, but don't insist you will help.

• Love 16

I’m just firing this up right now. Don’t know why I want to see anything quarantine-related when I’m totally burned out about in real life but here I am.

why the hell are they having so much trouble setting up a multi-home bubble? If each household follows all precautions, they can safely interact. Well, maybe they’ll figure it out; I’m just starting this. I’ll shut up for now  

they’re still talking about trying to figure out how they want to live and relate and resolve conflicts. If they don’t know after 25+ years, it’s not going to happen.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, NoWhammies said:

How can one family be so bad at brows???????

Did you notice one talking head with Meri where she looked really nice though?  Her hair was parted on the other side and her left eyebrow (right to us) was normal sized and not too far to the middle.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, SuzWhat said:

Kody and Robin protesting against Janelle asking Kody to stay away seems a little...suspect. Robin actually started the show saying she was doing that because she and Sol were compromised health wise somehow.  My guess is Kody asked Janelle to say it.  That is why she was crying and why she said “you owe me”. It also explains why he immediately got on the horn with every one else and suggested they do the same. He wanted Christine and Merri to say it too. 

I am so jaded, I immediately thought - of course, King Sol is compromised.  Therefore, much like Meri divorcing Kody "for the kids," Kody should not venture outside of Robyn's invisible electric fence for the duration of the pandemic "for the kids."  Now, mind you, when Robyn says "for the kids," she ALWAYS means Sol and Ariableeobla.  Not those other scraggly needy humans that also unfortunately have to call Kody "dad."  

And I'm sorry - Kody.  Sitting there in a room full of women and lecturing them on the proper number of squares of TP per visit?  Just NO.  Back away slowly from your seat at the head of the room and quietly exit stage left.  Without going into detail, that is one area he should definitely not venture into.  In fact, when Truely was hesitating and saying, "but what about...." I thought she was going in another direction.  But for real, unless Kody wants a few knick-knacks upside the head, he needs to shut his piehole about things he knows nothing about, despite having four wives and 10 daughters.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 16
13 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Interesting, I didn’t know this, I had suspected she may be gay, but bisexual, okay.

3 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

this has happened??

That was her self-description on her social media accounts as of August 2020 or so. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Janelle crying about not being able to see Kody is laughable. I don’t think anyone buys that they have a romantic relationship. I believe her house is where he goes to just chill. 

I suspect Kootie also hangs out alone at Meri's when she is at the BnB (or travelling) and Robyn & her kids are driving him bonkers.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

While I get Meri’s maternal instincts, Mariah is a grown 25 year old and lives a three day road trip away; she shouldn’t have even entertained her mother’s offer to come move her, or need to have it vetoed by her douche-lord dad, who was called in for the ‘emergency’.

Not only were they able to drive themselves "home" to Flag, they drove two separate vehicles and were able to rent the white van too.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

All I could think of during the Great Toilet Paper Crisis of 2020 was how those people on Extreme Couponing who everyone made fun of were laughing their asses off right now. I now have a toilet paper tower of my very own.

I wonder if they're going to reveal that Kody basically quarantined at Robyn's the whole time, or if they are going to try to hide it. 

My father would never have allowed me to drive cross country like that at that age during a pandemic with only one other person helping. Kody is not a good father. We have never really seen him going out of his way for one of his kids. He just has 18 kids in a huge pile. 

Well, he kept referring to Audrey and Mariah as Meri’s kids, and when he was whining about Janelle’s concerns about Garrison’s exposure, it was all “her kids.”  “My kids” is saved for when he’s talking about all seventy thousand of them. Does he ever say “our kids”?

• Love 16
19 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Just think:

TLC probably had hours of the Brown Klowns' home footage to comb through.

And they CHOSE to air Kody's "how to use toilet paper" demonstration.

I can only imagine the rest of the video.

Honestly, I was both grossed out and entertained by the TP segment. It definitely was the highlight of the show (for me), although I watched it in a kind of amused horror.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Yes, I was confused too.  This week it was shown as if they flew back to Chicago right after the wedding venue viewings (and announcement of plans to move to SLC), and then immediately drove/moved from Chicago days later.  But Mariah looked like she had gained ~40 lbs in the "~week" between the wedding venue viewings and the "emergency" phone call.   They were probably calling from one of Meri's several unused bedrooms. No wonder they and the dogs did not look like they'd been cooped inside the vehicles for 24 hours & didn't seem to have any luggage/household contents. They probably rented the van in Flagstaff for the revisionist-history reenactment.

Curiously, Mariah's last "Chicago Days" IG posting was 78 weeks ago (Sept 2019).  I too think she flunked or dropped out long before COVID.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 5
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Gosh, I just canNOT think of a better person to have in my house during a pandemic than Kody "Chaos" Brown.

While these people are all next level stupid, during the conference call the wives were trying to figure out what to do with Kody at the beginning of the pandemic, which we ALL know was a horrible time of information overload and not having any rules to follow because no one knew what the hell was going on.  So then we have Kody at Christine's - shocker - head in his hands (spectacularly showing off his receding hairline, lol) - acting like he's a big hunky piece of meat being dragged by all four limbs this way and that and woe is he, for he is a nomad without a place to call home because his wives are telling him that he can no longer just skip off to another house when the occupants of the current house start to get on his nerves.  Because in the midst of global chaos, Kody has to make it all about Kody and how very overwhelmed he is, and how his wives have the audacity to talk over him when he's trying to get someone to "pass the baton" to another speaker.  Small props to Christine for pointing out that Kody himself is the biggest offender of talking over everyone.  The man stirs the chaos and then sits back and huffs that no one is listening to him - just the person you want leading a large family through a crisis. 

And then we have Robyn, who is just sooooo concerned about Janelle and her kids having to do without Kody's every other Tuesday visits from 12:30 - 2:00 or whatever.  She forgot to turn on the dry-cries, though - she's getting sloppy.

I'm honored to be the 25th heart.  Great post.

• Love 5