Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Jodie Foster and Kristin Stewart? Cynthia Nixon and Cara Delevingne?

Too old (as a romantic leading lady by Hollywood's standards), not talented enough, not famous enough(maybe not talented enough), not talented enough and probably not famous enough,

• Love 1
(edited)

Both Kristen and Cynthia have won very prestigious awards for their acting so this is very debatable.  There are always gay actors who can take these roles and the straight actors are just making excuses.

It's the same thing when producers pretend that only white people can lead movies and bring in revenue, which has been handily disproved by Black Panther, Crazy Rich Asians, Slumdog Millionaire, etc. etc. etc.

Look how many queer actors are in "Orange is the New Black" alone.  There are always actors out there.

Hulu released a lesbian romantic comedy recently and

Samba TV estimated that 416,680 U.S. households watched the film in its opening weekend, the best debut in Hulu's history.[14]

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

Also, it's Ammonite. Even with the fame of Kate Winslet and (love her, but to a lesser extent) Saoirse Ronan, there's no guarantee of it making more money than Disobedience (2017) or Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019). The Saoirse films that make money are serious awards contenders (Lady Bird, Brooklyn, Little Women vs. Mary Queen of Scots, On Chesil Beach). Similarly, Winslet had to win for The Reader. She didn't do much for Wonder Wheel, Steve Jobs, The Dressmaker, etc.

• Love 1

The thing that kills me about Goop is that there is some "lifestyle" brand stuff that Gwyneth does very, very well. I have her cookbook "It's All Good" and it's ... good. Nice tasting meals, pretty easy to make. 

I also don't think there's much wrong with her pushing yoga or meditation. 

It's when she pushes that pseudoscience crap like yoni eggs or the nonstop detox drinks that she loses me. 

As an actress my favorite performance of hers is actually The Talented Mr. Ripley. I also liked her in Emma and Royal Tennenbaums. 

• Love 10
(edited)
44 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Also, it's Ammonite. Even with the fame of Kate Winslet and (love her, but to a lesser extent) Saoirse Ronan, there's no guarantee of it making more money than Disobedience (2017) or Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019). The Saoirse films that make money are serious awards contenders (Lady Bird, Brooklyn, Little Women vs. Mary Queen of Scots, On Chesil Beach). Similarly, Winslet had to win for The Reader. She didn't do much for Wonder Wheel, Steve Jobs, The Dressmaker, etc.

Very true.  A movie has to be good to get attention, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire proved that.  That was wonderful casting and Adele Haenel is a lesbian. Maybe they think that Kate Winslet brings Titanic money with her?  LOL.  Not the case unfortunately.  Although, COVID kind of ruined Ammonite's chances of making money anyway.

Wow.  I never realized what a huge box office bomb "Steve Jobs" was!

11 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The thing that kills me about Goop is that there is some "lifestyle" brand stuff that Gwyneth does very, very well. I have her cookbook "It's All Good" and it's ... good. Nice tasting meals, pretty easy to make. 

Thanks for this.  I might get it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
On 4/1/2021 at 8:25 PM, Mabinogia said:

If she gives apple juice to her daughter Apple, is that cannibalism? 

Maybe Apple lurks here.  Because this weekend apparently she mocked her Mother on the Internet... 

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

While I'm not surprised that Mr. Avery's lawyer declined comment, what DOES surprise me is that he'd still have a lawyer (as opposed to a public defender) inasmuch as it appears that he has a track record for not paying  on multiple occasions what he promised so why would any lawyer want to chance that?

• Love 3

Publicity.    If he does a decent job (even if he doesn't get him acquited) other actors who can pay will remember him and hire him.   If he does get him off, well, he will have people beating down his door.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Kromm said:

Maybe Apple lurks here.  Because this weekend apparently she mocked her Mother on the Internet... 

Probably not, but it's definitely a possibility!

• Love 2
(edited)

I personally get why people want to see queer characters played by real queer actors, but I've never felt it was necessary. We also don't really know if the "straight" actor playing a queer role is really as straight as they are protraying themselves as. I do know that as soon as an actor comes out, they are almost immediately put into a box and almost never get a chance at leading movie roles. You can't tell me that homophobia isn't playing a big role into why Matt Bomer isn't enjoying at least a B-list movie career right now. He seems mostly stuck in tv mini-series and whatever Ryan Murphy might cast him in. His most mainstream movies were a supporting character in Magic Mike and a blink-and-miss-it cameo in the Magnificent 7 remake. It's ridiculous. 

Matt Bomer certainly hasn't had a bad career but I do think he should have had a bigger movie career. He's ridiculously handsome and was so charming on White Collar. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 19

Matt Bomer certainly hasn't had a bad career but I do think he should have had a bigger movie career. He's ridiculously handsome and was so charming on White Collar. 

What gets me about cis male actors who are openly gay being limited in their roles is that it's not like most roles for male actors revolve around romantic relationships. We're not in the heyday of rom-coms anymore. Many actresses are still playing wives/girlfriends and mothers. In a lot of the biggest blockbusters, the female love interest so incidental you're barely aware of the male protagonist being heterosexual.

• Love 17
(edited)

My guess is very few people in the same area speeding, or having accidents get citations either, as long as they have a big income.     The difference between living or visiting in a rich area like that, and being rich is that you are never held accountable.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Tiger Woods drives 80+ in a 45 mph zone, almost kills himself, totals his car, and no ticket?!?  Must be nice.

Yup, where was that cop when in my rush to get to work was clocked going 77 in a 60 and wound up with a speeding ticket for $180? 😝 Nothing was damaged, I was completely sober, but it was my fault for speeding. But then, I'm not a wealthy golf superstar.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Tiger Woods drives 80+ in a 45 mph zone, almost kills himself, totals his car, and no ticket?!?  Must be nice.

I've read a few of the articles today and it might just be me watching crime shows and reading true crime books, but the circumstantial evidence - going twice the speed limit on a curving road, accelerating after hitting the median, no indications of braking, etc. - is what I've seen before on multiple shows as a way to commit suicide. (She says hesitantly.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Do cops routinely give out tickets when they don't clock the speed?  From what I can gather, this is the conclusion based on physics. He might be held financially responsible for any damage, though.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Do cops routinely give out tickets when they don't clock the speed?  From what I can gather, this is the conclusion based on physics. He might be held financially responsible for any damage, though.

In my state most prosecutors will dismiss any speeding or reckless driving charges when there is an accident, as long as insurance pays the damages...even when other cars are involved.  The police normally charge first though.  

• Useful 6
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

The sheriff originally said they weren't going to release the cause because of privacy issues. The only privacy issue I could think of was medical, so I assumed that since he didn't brake, he either had a seizure, or passed out for some medical reason. I don't understand how driving 80 in a 45 is a privacy issue.

• Useful 5
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

She's 55.

1361612705_Screenshot_20210407-145928_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.533c6d993c3ccacd2659a55feee8476e.jpg

She just published a book about aging.

I don't wish her ill and I give her credit for confronting the issues of aging (which few performers her age or older have done)but, alas, IMO Miss Bateman's acting range has the depth of a pancake and  that more than anything has kept her from getting acting roles in the last few years. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, GaT said:

The sheriff originally said they weren't going to release the cause because of privacy issues. The only privacy issue I could think of was medical, so I assumed that since he didn't brake, he either had a seizure, or passed out for some medical reason. I don't understand how driving 80 in a 45 is a privacy issue.

A friend who is a DUI attorney speculates they aren't charging because the screwed up the investigation from the get go.   No one took a blood draw from Woods that would show impairment (he is recovering from back surgery, hello painkillers).   Any charges would expose the investigative failures.   The fine, even for reckless driving, would not be worth showing how shoddy the cops were in this case.

8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

In my state most prosecutors will dismiss any speeding or reckless driving charges when there is an accident, as long as insurance pays the damages...even when other cars are involved.  The police normally charge first though.  

Seriously?   In my state, if you challenge the ticket, you are likely to get away with just court costs and no points if there isn't an accident.   If there is, you are getting hit with the whole thing.   Because you endangered others.  

• Useful 8
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Saddened about Jack Hanna. He always had such fun when he appeared and not just, "Here's a tiger cub." Especially against Carson and his fear of animals. Hanna was always like, what, they're harmless *as animal digs claws into Johnny's scalp*. Also, if you can find it his autobiography Monkeys on the Interstate is a great read.

I only remember Joan Embry on Carson so can't speak to those, but Jack Hanna's frequent appearances on Letterman were classic. They seemed to have a great rapport, and Jack got a bit emotional on his final Late Show appearance.

Here's a Letterman appearance from 1998.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, GaT said:

Right.  I suppose this is assuming the crash was unintentional.  Tiger says he has no memory of it.   It makes me wonder.

• Love 4

Actress or not, she speaks to a lot of women who feel the pressure to "look younger" because all we see nowadays is photoshopped, filtered and touched-up photos of women. Then there are the ones who lift, tuck, fill and botox until they look like a mannequin but we are all supposed to think its natural to have a face that looks like plastic at 55 years of age. I wish more women would embrace the way they look instead of comparing themselves to those that try to proclaim "healthy living" is the reason for their youthful look.  Aging shouldn't be something to be ashamed of. 

I would much rather see an actress portraying a role commiserate with their age with the accompanying wrinkles and crows feet. 

1106859878_Screenshot_20210407-145928_Sa

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Right.  I suppose this is assuming the crash was unintentional.  Tiger says he has no memory of it.   It makes me wonder.

So,  whether if Mr. Woods's crash was the result of his having deliberately been a reckless driver OR whether (as he claims) he had some kind of event that caused him to blank out, WHY hasn't his driver's license been suspended until at least the authorities determine whether or not he's truly a danger to himself or other drivers on the road? 

It's not as though he's unable to pay for ubers, taxis . ..or a chauffeur to get from Point A to Point B if he himself can't get behind the wheel of a vehicle.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

WHY hasn't his driver's license been suspended until at least the authorities determine whether or not he's truly a danger to himself or other drivers on the road? 

Is he actually driving right now?  I thought his injuries were pretty severe.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

OK, I swear when someone asked who should replace Armie Hammer in the Call Me By Your Name sequel, I was thinking Dan Stevens but I didn't want to answer because I haven't seen the original movie. But tall, blonde man capable of giving a fine but bland performance doesn't feel like a hard niche to fill. 

https://tvline.com/2021/04/01/gaslit-dan-stevens-replaces-armie-hammer-starz-recast/

I nominate Joe Alwyn. He had pretty decent chemistry with Lucas Hedges in Boy Erased.

Spoiler

Until he raped him. Damn.

He definitely has the right look:

https://images.app.goo.gl/R6ZmbXcMPpzTYL3W8

54 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Is he actually driving right now?  I thought his injuries were pretty severe.

No, Mr. Woods is not driving at this writing due to his severe injuries. 

However, IMO that in itself doesn't mean that the authorities shouldn't investigate that circumstances of the accident and his health status before and after the event before determining whether or not he's a danger to himself or others on the road- but, in the meantime, suspending his license until the investigation is complete!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

No, Mr. Woods is not driving at this writing due to his severe injuries. 

However, IMO that in itself doesn't mean that the authorities shouldn't investigate that circumstances of the accident and his health status before and after the event before determining whether or not he's a danger to himself or others on the road- but, in the meantime, suspending his license until the investigation is complete!

That's not the way traffic violations work. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I've read a few of the articles today and it might just be me watching crime shows and reading true crime books, but the circumstantial evidence - going twice the speed limit on a curving road, accelerating after hitting the median, no indications of braking, etc. - is what I've seen before on multiple shows as a way to commit suicide. (She says hesitantly.)

I had the same thought once other causes were ruled out (e.g., alcohol, texting, etc). No signs of braking could be due to falling asleep at the wheel, a seizure, heart attack--or possibly suicide.  I believe he caused a previous crash, maybe in SC or FL not too long ago. Who, in their right mind, drives 85 mph on a winding road? 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I had the same thought once other causes were ruled out (e.g., alcohol, texting, etc). No signs of braking could be due to falling asleep at the wheel, a seizure, heart attack--or possibly suicide.  I believe he caused a previous crash, maybe in SC or FL not too long ago. Who, in their right mind, drives 85 mph on a winding road? 

Was that a different crash from the one he was in originally when everything happened that culminated in his divorce from his wife?

25 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

The previous crash had to do with Ambien allegedly. And the sheriff, w h o will probably be voted out for this, said it was thought Woods tried to break but hit the accelerator by mistake. This is the sloppyist job ever or a complete cover up. At any rate Woods should lose his license and for sure won't drive for a long time because of his fractured  r ight leg.

• Love 3
(edited)
27 minutes ago, bobalina said:

The previous crash had to do with Ambien allegedly. And the sheriff, w h o will probably be voted out for this, said it was thought Woods tried to break but hit the accelerator by mistake. This is the sloppyist job ever or a complete cover up. At any rate Woods should lose his license and for sure won't drive for a long time because of his fractured  r ight leg.

If Woods were ticketed for speeding, he'd be looking at a fine of about $100 and points on his license. If he gets two points on his license, he'll get a warning letter that getting points on your license is a bad thing and he shouldn't do it. Maybe if he were charged with reckless operation, he could get a fine of up to $1000, and 90 days in jail (which wouldn't happen because jails don't have room for people charged with first time reckless op; they are too busy holding people for violent crimes like assault and domestic violence). Even with that, it's a 30 day license suspension.

People get in accidents all the time. People sneeze and jam their foot on the gas by accident. A friend was in a terrible accident when her high heel caught on the floor mat and twisted her foot and she failed to break in time. I'm no Tiger Woods fan, and sure, he should be admonished for speeding, but I'm not going to pillory him for getting in a car accident.

It takes repeated violations for someone to get their license suspended for speeding, so I'm not clutching my pearls that Tiger still has a valid license. There are people out there with much worse driving records. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
22 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Because he wasn't caught on radar at the time.  Had he been, he'd have been pulled over and ticketed.  Would've been better for him if that had happened.

I think the legal system hasn't quite caught up with cars having black boxes yet.

12 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm guessing it's because he wasn't issued a citation.

The braking thing makes sense to me.  The car went out of control, he panicked and hit the wrong pedal.  It happens.  It's a factor in a lot of "car plows into building/crowd" type accidents - the person driving panics.  (Please note that this only applies to accidents, not incidents where the driver deliberately drove into a crowd of people.)

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

So,  whether if Mr. Woods's crash was the result of his having deliberately been a reckless driver OR whether (as he claims) he had some kind of event that caused him to blank out, WHY hasn't his driver's license been suspended until at least the authorities determine whether or not he's truly a danger to himself or other drivers on the road? 

In order to do that, there have to be charges, in most states.  (I'm not an expert on CA traffic laws.)  No cop was there when the accident happened or clocked the speed of the car, so no charges/tickets given.

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Who, in their right mind, drives 85 mph on a winding road?

Oh, plenty of people who think they're Formula One drivers.  Depends on the definition of "right mind" I guess.

• Love 10
On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2021 at 7:29 AM, merylinkid said:

Why is Lena Dunham still happening?   Are there no other women who are not insufferable out there that could do a plus size clothing line?

As for glenn Close having a sewing kit at a Gala -- OF COURSE YOU DO.   For quick repairs if someone steps on your gown, a strap breaks, etc.

A barely plus size line at that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

“I would ask you — because I’m addicted to truth, logic and common sense, and my common sense meter would demand the answer to — why weren’t we shut down for COVID-1 through -18?”

I....wow. Holy hell, what a fucking dumbass. 

15 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

His stance on Covid is truly appalling.

I would LOVE for him to dare try and spout his "I don't believe the death toll" bullshit to everyone who lost a loved one to this virus. He thinks he's Mr. Bold Tough Guy, let him try that and see what happens. I would wholeheartedly sympathize with any family member who just hauled off and decked him. 

I never thought he was talented to begin with. There was so many 70s rockers that were better than Ted

He's also one who's well overdue for his own #MeToo moment, from what I've heard. 

• Love 18
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

“I would ask you — because I’m addicted to truth, logic and common sense, and my common sense meter would demand the answer to — why weren’t we shut down for COVID-1 through -18?”

I think I'm going to run for the nearest exit. Good Lord!

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

He's also one who's well overdue for his own #MeToo moment, from what I've heard. 

Agreed! It astonishes me that he's not had his reckoning yet. 

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I would LOVE for him to dare try and spout his "I don't believe the death toll" bullshirt to everyone who lost a loved one to this virus. He thinks he's Mr. Bold Tough Guy, let him try that and see what happens. I would wholeheartedly sympathize with any family member who just hauled off and decked him. 

I will offer my services as an alibi should any of them need it. 🤫

• LOL 9
  • Love 2