Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I didn't watch this particular episode, but in the one's I have watched Pat always reminds the contestant not to add any words.  It sucks for the contestant, but rules are rules.  

It's annoying but not as annoying that if a contestant overbids on The Price is Right, they automatically are disqualifying from winning. I recall one poor contestant who actually bid a $1 over the Showcase and STILL lost-despite the fact that had they bid up to $100 under they' d have won BOTH Showcases! Then, too, there are folks who make a bid exactly $1 closer to the previous would-be contestant to get out Contestant's Row despite the fact that the previous contestant obviously had done the real brain work.

Yeah, in both gameshows, rules are rules and contestants must accept if not like them but they sure can be annoying!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Her stance really kills me because I can go on a rant about how the FDA is decades behind their international counterparts in regards to approved SPF ingredients.  The average American sunscreen produced by Neutrogena, Coppertone, Banana Boat, etc is shit.  But, no Gwenny has to go on about "dangerous" chemicals instead of extolling the virtues of European sunscreens that she has to import from France.  Woman has a platform that could do good, but she uses it to push pseudoscience instead.

• Useful 7
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I didn't watch this particular episode, but in the one's I have watched Pat always reminds the contestant not to add any words.  It sucks for the contestant, but rules are rules.  

He did here too.  I question whether "fans" were truly up in arms as any fan knows this is the way the cookie crumbles.  This wasn't the first time and won't be the last time something like this happens.  I rarely watch and even I know this is one of those sucky strict rules of the game just like you can't add "the" or make something plural when it's not...etc.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4

Just like the last time people with nothing better to do took to social media about a game show contestant losing because they forgot a rule they'd just been reminded of, this is not an injustice - or celebrity news.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

So many things she recommends or sells are considered dangerous by doctors. I don't understand why so many people believe her.

6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

But, no Gwenny has to go on about "dangerous" chemicals instead of extolling the virtues of European sunscreens that she has to import from France.  Woman has a platform that could do good, but she uses it to push pseudoscience instead.

Many years ago, there was an uproar over a pesticide used on apples. Gwyneth was one of the most vocal people against it, I seem to remember her testifying before congress or something. Turns out the pesticide was also a basic part of the chemical composition of an apple, which was why it was being used. Gwenny does not care about actual science, she just makes up her own facts to suit her.

• Useful 7
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, GaT said:

So many things she recommends or sells are considered dangerous by doctors. I don't understand why so many people believe her.

Many years ago, there was an uproar over a pesticide used on apples. Gwyneth was one of the most vocal people against it, I seem to remember her testifying before congress or something. Turns out the pesticide was also a basic part of the chemical composition of an apple, which was why it was being used. Gwenny does not care about actual science, she just makes up her own facts to suit her.

Was this before or after she named her kid? 

• LOL 12
10 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Was this before or after she named her kid? 

I think it was after, I kind of remember her talking about giving apple juice to her kid or kids.

(edited)
37 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

If she gives apple juice to her daughter Apple, is that cannibalism? 

She's such a pretentious twit.  And while she's not a bad actress, there isn't a single role she's done (including both the role she won an Academy Award for, in Shakespeare in Love, AND Pepper Potts) where I can't easily imagine a different actress in the role doing it just as well. 

Edited by Kromm
As usual, stupid autocorrect
  • Love 18

She's such a pretentious twit.  And while she's not a bad actress, there isn't a single role she's done (including both the role she won an Academy Award for, in Shakespeare in Love, AND Pepper Potts) where I can't easily imagine a different actress in the role doing it just as well. 

I do really like Emma but... you're not wrong. Anyway, I'm glad dermatologists are debunking this. I'm never quite sure if people actually believe Gwyneth and, for the ones that do, I don't know if they look into the people explaining why she's wrong. 

• Love 6
On 4/1/2021 at 9:02 PM, Kromm said:

And while she's not a bad actress, there isn't a single role she's done (including both the role she won an Academy Award for, in Shakespeare in Love, AND Pepper Potts) where I can't easily imagine a different actress in the role doing it just as well. 

She was actually very charming in Emma (1996), but that was also very early on in her career.

• Love 6
(edited)

I do have one Gwyneth cookbook ("It's All Easy"), and it is surprisingly good.  I love her in sooooo many movies:  View from the Top, Bounce, Country Strong, Hush, Great Expectations, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Pallbearer (not a good movie, but), and my personal favourite of hers "A Perfect Murder".  I've probably seen it 20 times.   I think a lot of these movies are underrated (like "Country Strong") and her most iconic role is probably Margot Tenenbaum.  Great movie, great role, great fashion.  Oh another popular one is "Sliding Doors" for the sheer genius of the gimmick that the movie employs.  I find the movie really sad but people seem to love it.

I honestly find her very charming as an actor and wish she would do it more, but she admitted that since she had kids she'd just rather be closer to them at all times.   Since "Iron Man" I've been so disappointed with her acting choices but I guess this is all by design, she just takes easy roles so she can be near the kids.

Edited to add Gwyn's cookbook title if anyone is interested.  I kinda want to read her other ones, now.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8

I know people love to hate on her, and Goop sounds absolutely awful, but she is credited as one of the first actors to talk to reporters about Weinstein, which counts for something with me.  A lot of Hollywood seem to love her; since I have never met her, I’ll assume there is something redeeming about her.  Her chemistry with RDJ was off the chart.  I don’t see anyone else as Pepper Potts.

• Useful 3
  • Love 12
(edited)
55 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Her chemistry with RDJ was off the chart.  I don’t see anyone else as Pepper Potts.

Me neither.  I think they have the best chemistry of all the MCU couples and that includes Evangaline Lilly with Paul Rudd, who I think has the ability to have chemistry with just about every one of his female costars.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 5

I do have one Gwyneth cookbook, and it is surprisingly good.  I love her in sooooo many movies:  View from the Top, Bounce, Country Strong, Hush, Great Expectations, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Pallbearer (not a good movie, but), and my personal favourite of hers "A Perfect Murder".  I've probably seen it 20 times.   I think a lot of these movies are underrated (like "Country Strong") and her most iconic role is probably Margot Tenenbaum.  Great movie, great role, great fashion.  Oh another popular one is "Sliding Doors" for the sheer genius of the gimmick that the movie employs.  I find the movie really sad but people seem to love it.

I've seen A View From the Top, Country Strong, Sliding Doors (which I hated), and Proof. I don't think I've ever watched The Royal Tenenbaums from start to finish and I do want to check out The Talented Mr. Ripley some day. But from the roles I've seen, I could definitely see someone else playing those parts. I've flipped through one or two of her cookbooks. Sometimes there are unusual ingredients but mostly it's very straightforward, almost to the point that some of the recipes seem like filler. Like an egg on toast or mixing things into yogurt or oatmeal. But that makes sense. Wasn't she one of the people pushing a raw diet back in the day? Or was that Madonna?

10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Since "Iron Man" I've been so disappointed with her acting choices but I guess this is all by design, she just takes easy roles so she can be near the kids.

There's also a ridiculous amount of competition for the few good roles that are out there for women over A Certain Age.  This is something that, in general, is not an issue for men.  Unless we're talking a movie like Steel Magnolias the cast of the typical movie or TV show is almost always predominantly male - but this should probably go under Pet Peeves or something so I'll stop there!  All this to say that just not getting good parts anymore for most women isn't because suddenly they can't act - it's that they've aged out of consideration for most roles which sucks.

• Love 9
Just now, Irlandesa said:

Well Emma is kind of a snob.

KIND of a snob? 😂 Still, Gwyneth was great in the movie, as were the rest of mostly then-unknowns (Toni Collette, Jeremy Northam, Ewan MacGregor, etc.).

• Love 8

That’s so sad about DMX. I really love him and feel so awful that he’s been a troubled so for so long. It doesn’t sound good, praying for peace for him and his family. 

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

There's also a ridiculous amount of competition for the few good roles that are out there for women over A Certain Age.  This is something that, in general, is not an issue for men.  Unless we're talking a movie like Steel Magnolias the cast of the typical movie or TV show is almost always predominantly male - but this should probably go under Pet Peeves or something so I'll stop there!  All this to say that just not getting good parts anymore for most women isn't because suddenly they can't act - it's that they've aged out of consideration for most roles which sucks.

Personally I think Gwyneth Paltrow winning an Oscar while still in her mid-20's plays a big part of it. She's not like Kate Winslet or Cate Blanchett who had to keep churning out great performance in prestige movie over and over to finally get that Oscar. (Big ups to Glenn Close and Amy Adams, the winless Oscar nominated legends.) 

She got her validation as An Actress so after that she focused on making movies that paid well and enabled her to make her lifestyle brand. That's what she really seems to care about, as opposed to fighting over whatever scraps are thrown towards older actresses who are not Meryl Streep and weren't re-wrote for a 22-year old to play instead. And you know what? Good for her.

I do think when Gwyneth moves into her 50's she'll probably start getting offered Elegant Society Matriarch roles that revived her mother's career starting in the 90's, and one of them might be the type to get her back into Oscar nomination. The rise of streamers is making that a serious possibility. 

7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I know people love to hate on her, and Goop sounds absolutely awful, but she is credited as one of the first actors to talk to reporters about Weinstein, which counts for something with me.  A lot of Hollywood seem to love her; since I have never met her, I’ll assume there is something redeeming about her.  Her chemistry with RDJ was off the chart.  I don’t see anyone else as Pepper Potts.

She comes off as a pretty straightforward person. You know what you're getting with her. It's not like Meg Ryan who had this whole Sweet Wholesome Girl Next Door persona but allegedly wasn't a nice person behind the scenes. I mean there's gotta be a reason why Hollywood doesn't seem to miss her, at all. Her Gen Jones peers Michelle Pfeiffer, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Jennifer Jason Leigh are having pretty solid career revivals (with Jennifer Jason Leigh getting an Oscar nom for the Hateful 8 but no one seems to miss Meg Ryan. Usually having a good rep means that people down the line might offer roles to faded actors that they like.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 4
  • Love 8

It's not like Meg Ryan who had this whole Sweet Wholesome Girl Next Door persona but allegedly wasn't a nice person behind the scenes. I mean there's gotta be a reason why Hollywood doesn't seem to miss her, at all. Her Gen Jones peers Michelle Pfeiffer, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Jennifer Jason Leigh are having pretty solid career revivals (with Jennifer Jason Leigh getting an Oscar nom for the Hateful 8 but no one seems to miss Meg Ryan. Usually having a good rep means that people down the line might offer roles to faded actors that they like.

I do think some of it is the obvious plastic surgery Meg Ryan got (I say obvious because I think most actresses get something done) but that hasn't held back Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellwegger, etc. We'll see how Demi Moore's new Amazon series goes. I'm not entirely sure if she was making the choice not to work recently though you could argue that Charlie's Angels was something of a comeback. 

Genuine question, aside from Ryan Murphy and Tarantino, who is pushing these career revivals for older actresses? I think part of the issue is that you need people behind the scenes. Because when actresses (e.g. Mindy Kaling, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Garner, etc.) produce projects, they tend to produce them for themselves. But Shonda Rhimes will create a show for Viola Davis. Not that I can think of any director, writer, producer, etc. who stans people the way Ryan Murphy does and seems as consistently committed to using older actors that he's a fan of.

• Love 4

"We could have had a conversation about how I feel about playing a lesbian and possibly taking that role from somebody," Winslet said. "But I'm done with not being honest about what my real opinions are, and I know the part was never offered to anybody else. In taking this part I had an opportunity to bring an LGBTQ story into living rooms."

This is the more interesting part for me. I need some time to sit with it.

2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I personally get why people want to see queer characters played by real queer actors, but I've never felt it was necessary. We also don't really know if the "straight" actor playing a queer role is really as straight as they are protraying themselves as. I do know that as soon as an actor comes out, they are almost immediately put into a box and almost never get a chance at leading movie roles. You can't tell me that homophobia isn't playing a big role into why Matt Bomer isn't enjoying at least a B-list movie career right now. He seems mostly stuck in tv mini-series and whatever Ryan Murphy might cast him in. His most mainstream movies were a supporting character in Magic Mike and a blink-and-miss-it cameo in the Magnificent 7 remake. It's ridiculous. 

• Love 22
21 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I personally get why people want to see queer characters played by real queer actors, but I've never felt it was necessary. We also don't really know if the "straight" actor playing a queer role is really as straight as they are protraying themselves as. I do know that as soon as an actor comes out, they are almost immediately put into a box and almost never get a chance at leading movie roles. You can't tell me that homophobia isn't playing a big role into why Matt Bomer isn't enjoying at least a B-list movie career right now. He seems mostly stuck in tv mini-series and whatever Ryan Murphy might cast him in. His most mainstream movies were a supporting character in Magic Mike and a blink-and-miss-it cameo in the Magnificent 7 remake. It's ridiculous. 

Actually, an old article  about Tom Hardy does make a mention of him having sex with men and he even confirmed that. This was when he made Inception.

• Useful 3
38 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

He seems mostly stuck in tv mini-series and whatever Ryan Murphy might cast him in. His most mainstream movies were a supporting character in Magic Mike and a blink-and-miss-it cameo in the Magnificent 7 remake. It's ridiculous. 

And yet when it comes to tv programs, he and Neal Patrick Harris have successfully played heterosexual men in long running series.  I don't get it either.

• Love 14

You can't tell me that homophobia isn't playing a big role into why Matt Bomer isn't enjoying at least a B-list movie career right now. He seems mostly stuck in tv mini-series and whatever Ryan Murphy might cast him in. His most mainstream movies were a supporting character in Magic Mike and a blink-and-miss-it cameo in the Magnificent 7 remake. It's ridiculous. 

I remember when the Fifty Shades of Grey books came out and his fans were pushing hard for him to be cast as Christian Grey. He did have the right look, IMO, though I think most "serious" actors were wise to stay away from that mess. I wondered at the time whether Bomer might've been cast if he hadn't been out as gay. (I still can't wrap my head around the fact that the major portion of the fanbase for the Grey book and film series were deeply religious women.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Lena Dunham is expanding her horizons and debuting a fashion line in partnership with 11 Honoré. I've not watched any of her shows or movies, so I can't really comment on her talent or how she presents herself.  I do think this could be a good venture, if the prices were more reasonable.

Edited by praeceptrix
20 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Lena Dunham is expanding her horizons and debuting a fashion line in partnership with 11 Honoré. I've not watched any of her shows or movies, so I can't really comment on her talent or how she presents herself.  I do think this could be a good venture, if the prices were more reasonable.

I have a less-than-favorable impression of her fashion sense, so this gonna be a no from me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
(edited)
5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

"We could have had a conversation about how I feel about playing a lesbian and possibly taking that role from somebody," Winslet said. "But I'm done with not being honest about what my real opinions are, and I know the part was never offered to anybody else. In taking this part I had an opportunity to bring an LGBTQ story into living rooms."

Is she trying to say they wouldn't have made the movie if she didn't do it? Because it would appear that the reason the part was never offered to anyone else was because she was offered it first and then took it.

Edited by janie jones
  • LOL 2
19 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

The interview reveals another reason to like Glenn Close (in addition to her reaction to Yuh-Jung Youn winning the SAG Award):

She refuses to wear Spanx — most of the time, she said, she barely wears a bra — and none of the clothes she made require it. The one time she did wear a corset to an event, Glenn Close cut it off her in a bathroom.

“She had a little butterfly scissor like a friggin’ angel,” Ms. Dunham said. (It was unclear why Ms. Close would have brought sewing scissors to a gala, but — be prepared!)

“She also gave me the best advice. I was crying in my heels, and she said, ‘You get platform boots from a rave store, and you wear those.’ And I did, and I have. So, thank you, Glenn Close.”

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Is she trying to say they wouldn't have made the movie if she didn't do it? Because it would appear that the reason the part was never offered to anyone else was because she was offered it first and then took it.

I doubt they would have made it without her. She is a very well known and talented name that would draw an audience in. Are there any well known actresses out there that fit both.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I have a less-than-favorable impression of her fashion sense, so this gonna be a no from me.

I have a less-than-favorable impression of her, so anything to do with her is gonna be a no from me.

• Love 15

I doubt they would have made it without her. She is a very well known and talented name that would draw an audience in. Are there any well known actresses out there that fit both.

Well, I feel like it's important to point out that Ammonite is a fake story anyway. There is zero evidence of Mary Anning being a lesbian. 

I don't know what age range they were looking for but... Jodie Foster and Kristin Stewart? Cynthia Nixon and Cara Delevingne? You have more options if you're open to changing the race of the characters as well since it's already not historically accurate. 

• Useful 1

Why is Lena Dunham still happening?   Are there no other women who are not insufferable out there that could do a plus size clothing line?

As for glenn Close having a sewing kit at a Gala -- OF COURSE YOU DO.   For quick repairs if someone steps on your gown, a strap breaks, etc.

• Love 19