Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

Pete Davidson tricked Alec Baldwin into losing 100 lbs.

"I was on set and Alec was hosting and it was a sketch where I had to be shirtless. You know, I guess I'm a little bit cut or whatever... there's no nice way to say that," Davidson, 27, joked. "So he came up to me and he was like, 'What do you do?' And I didn't want to be rude and say, 'I just still have a metabolism. I'm not in my mid-50s. I just wake up like this.' So to make him feel better, I said, 'Oh man, I do 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups every day.' And he was like, 'Got it.'"

• LOL 15

23 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I've read a few of the articles today and it might just be me watching crime shows and reading true crime books, but the circumstantial evidence - going twice the speed limit on a curving road, accelerating after hitting the median, no indications of braking, etc. - is what I've seen before on multiple shows as a way to commit suicide. (She says hesitantly.)

To me it just sounds like driving in California. The road really isn’t very curvy. I’m actually surprised the speed limit is 45 mph there. From pictures and videos I would have guessed 60-65 just based on the road.

The biggest factor is probably the steep decline. It is so easy to pick up speed on a road like that without even accelerating. Then a curve surprises you putting you a precarious situation very quickly. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I....wow. Holy hell, what a fucking dumbass. 

I would LOVE for him to dare try and spout his "I don't believe the death toll" bullshit to everyone who lost a loved one to this virus. He thinks he's Mr. Bold Tough Guy, let him try that and see what happens. I would wholeheartedly sympathize with any family member who just hauled off and decked him. 

He's also one who's well overdue for his own #MeToo moment, from what I've heard. 

Nugent gloated about his ex-wife's death (gloated!) oncamera in his Behind the Music piece instead of making the tiniest attempt to muster  a scintilla of sympathy for their children who'd lost their mother  (much less  said that  he was sad that it happened despite  things having  gone bad between them  ). If that was how he behaved with the cameras rolling, I'd hate to imagine how cruel he  was likely  about that to the children behind closed doors.  One should  keep the above in mind when learning of his outrageous, intolerant and nasty rants. AFIAC, he's an insecure, overcompensating hothead and a  complete creep!  

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Blergh said:

Nugent gloated about his ex-wife's death (gloated!) oncamera in his Behind the Music piece instead of making the tiniest attempt to muster  a scintilla of sympathy for their children who'd lost their mother  (much less  said that  he was sad that it happened despite  things having  gone bad between them  ). If that was how he behaved with the cameras rolling, I'd hate to imagine how cruel he  was likely  about that to the children behind closed doors.  One should  keep the above in mind when learning of his outrageous, intolerant and nasty rants. AFIAC, he's an insecure, overcompensating hothead and a  complete creep!

Yikes. On the one hand, I'm not surprised, but on the other hand...ugh. That's really shitty, and indeed, certainly speaks volumes about him as a person. 

• Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

He also became the legal guardian of the 17-year-old he was fucking when he was in his early 30s (with the consent of her parents?!), and there's pretty good evidence she isn't the only underaged girl he has had sex with. He used to admit to it pretty readily but now denies it. Sure, Ted. 

Edited by Zella
10 hours ago, Dani said:

To me it just sounds like driving in California. The road really isn’t very curvy. I’m actually surprised the speed limit is 45 mph there. From pictures and videos I would have guessed 60-65 just based on the road.

Residential.   Even if you can't see houses, if something is designated residential it tends to have a lower speed limit.   Woods was running late, that's why he was speeding.   Or he was stoned on painkillers and didn't realize what he was doing.   Either way, he was not operating his vehicle in a responsible manner.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

I don't know what's going on with Tiger but during the height of lockdown and empty roads, news reports stated people around here started driving crazy.  Like 100 miles per hour on longer and wider residential streets crazy.   It was as if they unleased their secret fantasy of driving at Le Mans.   

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Residential.   Even if you can't see houses, if something is designated residential it tends to have a lower speed limit. 

That’s probably a factor but based on the setting it’s still lower than I would expect. My guess is it’s a 45 because of the decline and the history of accidents. Mainly I’m surprised because the road had an escape lane which I’ve only seen on declines where you can easily go past 60 with using the accelerator.

So, he wasn’t driving safely but what happened isn’t necessarily out of the norm or a sign of something more based on my experience. Realistically, people drive 80 on that road everyday. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)
8 hours ago, isalicat said:

Who keeps letting this man breed? A bettah question!

One fake Spaniard with the original given name of Hilary who seems to be the living punchline of the old joke: 'Every twenty minutes ,a woman gives birth! /Well, someone needs to find that woman and stop her! ' 

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, isalicat said:

Who keeps letting this man breed? A bettah question!

Oh god, given the sheer amount of secondary spouse offspring he has, at least one or two will probably use some good ol' nepotism to get into the biz. It will be Jaden Smith 2: Electric Boogalo. 

Edited to add: His daughter with Kim Basinger became a model as did his niece Hailey, who is now Mrs. Bieber.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 3
On 4/8/2021 at 6:33 AM, Blergh said:

I don't wish her ill and I give her credit for confronting the issues of aging (which few performers her age or older have done)but, alas, IMO Miss Bateman's acting range has the depth of a pancake and  that more than anything has kept her from getting acting roles in the last few years. 

Has she ever been in anything that actually challenged her?  She may have a bit of a chicken or the egg problem here, where she can't get good roles, because she's got no good proof she CAN act, but can't easily get that proof, because nobody has ever cast her in anything good. 

She was apparently in a version of The Crucible, at the Roundabout Theater, in 1990.  I guess that didn't stick. 

8 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Alec is occasionally very funny, but he's also a dumb dummy who dumbs.  Shut up, Alec. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6

Earlier in the thread we were discussing Kate Winslet who claimed that she had to take the part in "Ammonite", which just makes me roll my eyes.

SNL did a sketch mocking these "lesbian period dramas" starring straight women, but Adele Haenel is from "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" isn't straight, and was actually involved with the female director.  Anyway, the sketch is pretty good.  Another new movie certainly looks to fit this mold.  It's called "The World to Come" starring Vanessa Kirby.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 15
On 4/11/2021 at 1:53 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Earlier in the thread we were discussing Kate Winslet who claimed that she had to take the part in "Ammonite", which just makes me roll my eyes.

SNL did a sketch mocking these "lesbian period dramas" starring straight women, but Adele Haenel is from "Portrait of a Lady on Fire" isn't straight, and was actually involved with the female director.  Anyway, the sketch is pretty good.  Another new movie certainly looks to fit this mold.  It's called "The World to Come" starring Vanessa Kirby.

Ammonite is such a mediocre movie I can't imagine Winslet being involved was the force behind it getting made...Though I did love how SNL poked fun at how almost hysterically explict the sex scene in it was.

And don't get me started on how viscerally angry The World to Come made me. It's one the most self indulgent versions of the genre that I've ever seen. 

Edited by Proclone
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, Robert Lynch said:

Brenda Song was that spoiled rich, but vapid girl in the Disney show called Suite Life of Zack and Cody and its series sequel that is from the mid 2000s, correct?

Yep, London Tipton, and I'm kind of ashamed I know that. lol

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Robert Lynch said:

Brenda Song was that spoiled rich, but vapid girl in the Disney show called Suite Life of Zack and Cody and its series sequel that is from the mid 2000s, correct?

Yes, that's certainly where I know her from.  Two of my nieces were staying with us around then and they loved that show.  IIRC Brenda Song was actually very good in that role.  Not sure what she's done since.

Most recently, she was in a hilariously bad movie on Netflix called "Secret Obsession" and a much better TV show on Hulu called "Dollface".

She was one of my favourite things about "The Social Network" from 2010.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Yes, that's certainly where I know her from.  Two of my nieces were staying with us around then and they loved that show.  IIRC Brenda Song was actually very good in that role.  Not sure what she's done since.

I wish I could say I watched it because I was around kids. Nope. I'm a full grown adult who LOVED Disney Channel shows. She was very good in that. She headlined in the Disney movie Wendy Wu as well. 

3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Most recently, she was in a hilariously bad movie on Netflix called "Secret Obsession"

It was very "Lifetime"y. She did the best she could with a rather terrible script though. 

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I wish I could say I watched it because I was around kids. Nope. I'm a full grown adult who LOVED Disney Channel shows.

I don't know about the shows that they air now but I remember back then really enjoying Suite Life, and Hannah Montana and Wizards of Waverly Place among others - and the cartoons were awesome!  Kim Possible is the first one that comes to mind but there were a few others that I really enjoyed.   Maybe I should give  Family Channel (our Disney) another chance 🙂 .

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I wish I could say I watched it because I was around kids. Nope. I'm a full grown adult who LOVED Disney Channel shows. 

You are most certainly not alone at this table! Brenda Song now voices the main character on Disney's Amphibia.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I wish I could say I watched it because I was around kids. Nope. I'm a full grown adult who LOVED Disney Channel shows. She was very good in that. She headlined in the Disney movie Wendy Wu as well. 

Not a full grown adult in my case, but when "Lizzie McGuire" was on back in the day, ,I used to watch that show all the time, even though I was 16, 17 years old :). 

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Kim Possible is the first one that comes to mind but there were a few others that I really enjoyed.

I'm about to turn 49 and I have the Kim Possible beep noise as my text notification sound. lol 

I will add Lizzie Maguire to your list. Loved Lizzie. I have mixed feelings about the death of the reboot. It would be fun to see Lizzie, Miranda and Gordo again, but I worry they might screw it all up so maybe it's best to leave them in the past. 

I've kind of moved away from Disney Channel at this point. Last one I really loved was Liv and Maddie. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Sally Struthers reveals terrifying experience as to why she stopped the Save The Children Ads

My goodness. I remember those ads! It's funny watching Sally in those crazy late 80s and 90s fashion, complete with frizzy hair. 

Even back then, I thought it was downright appalling that how relentlessly  and meanspiritedly   derided she was for her poundage  when she was sincerely trying to help save starving,desperate children (and few if any of her critics were attempting to do the same). 

However, I have to admit that I found it quite sad that she felt compelled  to give up her   calling when she realized that she was putting her OWN daughter at risk at being orphaned as a minor via her working trips.

On a less serious but still sad note, I'm sorry to read that her experiences with Rita Moreno were not positive for her- as I've always thought Miss Moreno would be an interesting person to know if one had reason to know her. No comment (but no surprise) on the other famous person mentioned.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 12

Fiona Apple has been working as a Zoom social justice warrior. Because of course she has. Court watchers are volunteers who are participants in a nationwide grass-roots effort to hold the judges, police and prosecutors of America accountable. They sit in during court proceedings but can only listen because they aren't granted video access, and contact prisoners to determine if their rights are being violated.

Now, 120 people have cycled through Court Watch’s weekly training, which on one morning in late January included Fiona Apple.

When Apple appeared, Carmen Googled the singer’s face to confirm what she was seeing, then walked away from her computer to scream into her hands.

“Hello Ms. Apple,” Johnson remembers saying after collecting herself. Apple, hoping to go unnoticed, warmly greeted her back.

The singer had never heard of Prince George’s County before helping with Gasping for Justice, but she has become one of the team’s most prolific court watchers, volunteering three times a week and helping lead a committee focused on maintaining virtual access.

“It feels like you’re actually doing something useful” she said. “I don’t know if there’s any other feeling in the world. I mean, love is great, but being useful is another kind of love.”

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Shouldn't that have been expected? Since Lost ended I am not sure there has been a show that has come out that has been that level of hit, both with ratings and with the amount of media/internet buzz it generated. Especially not on network tv. Since it ran for 6 seasons I would expect that by the end everyone was making a ton of money. By comparison I would think that a CBS procedural that wasn't nearly as popular wouldn't pay nearly as good when you sign onto it.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

https://www.vulture.com/article/daniel-dae-kim-in-conversation.html#comments

Did you read the article?  Here is the original interview.  Maybe that would be expected, I guess?  But the marketing for the show was about a 4 piece ensemble and then his white costars got a major pay raise while he and Grace Park did not.  Nothing about the Hawaii 5-0 situation seems okay to me.

I read the first article posted,which seems to be mixing a couple of issues. Kim not getting equal pay as his costars is an issue and as I said back then, good for him for standing up for what he thinks is worse.

But comparing his salary at the start of 5-0 to what he was making at the end of Lost fails to mention what a huge success Lost was as a show.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

ince Lost ended I am not sure there has been a show that has come out that has been that level of hit, both with ratings and with the amount of media/internet buzz it generated.

Lost definitely had more buzz to it but in terms of ratings, I don't think they're that far off when you look at end-of-season positions which is quite something given that 50 spent most of its run on Friday nights.  And by Season 7, when he asked for the raise, 50 was actually getting stronger whereas Lost was fading by year 4/5.

I also think international distribution has to factor in.  Hawaii 50 is a show that likely makes more money abroad because it's just more easily digestible for foreign audiences.  It's simple and procedural.  Those tend to do well abroad.

• Useful 5
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I read the first article posted,which seems to be mixing a couple of issues. Kim not getting equal pay as his costars is an issue and as I said back then, good for him for standing up for what he thinks is worse.

But comparing his salary at the start of 5-0 to what he was making at the end of Lost fails to mention what a huge success Lost was as a show.

I'm still not getting the issue here.  I don't think DDK is saying Hawaii 5-0 should have necessarily hired him with the salary he was making during LOST - though, to be honest, I don't even see why that would be an issue.  Why couldn't say, Matthew Fox start a new show and demand what he was making on LOST?   DDK should be able to do that too. The cast is part of the attraction for the viewers of the show.  The cast of LOST was likely already underpaid relative to the success of that show.  If Sandra Bullock makes $20 million for a movie, she gets to ask for that salary on the next one.  She is part of the box office draw (if not most of it).  She doesn't say "Oh that was a big movie, but for this next one I don't need to get paid as much" unless it's her own passion project (Hawaii 5-0 would not qualify).  Your previous salary sets your new standard.  Your coworkers' salary also sets your new standard.  Why would you start a new show and accept that your salary should start from the bottom?  When I start a new job I want the same salary or more.  Not less.  DDK has proven he can be a strong part of a very popular hit ensemble show and that's what that salary ask implies.  

I think that DDK is saying that he was getting a certain salary at Hawaii 5-0, and his white costars were making much more, so he simply wanted to be treated equal to them in the same way that he was treated on LOST.  He's mentioning that he took a pay cut to make it clear to everyone that he wasn't getting paid that well on Hawaii 5-0, and not only that, he was getting paid less than his white co-stars. 

I don't know why he took the position if he wasn't getting paid that well initially, that's his personal choice, but I definitely see why he didn't stay after this second negotiation.  Maybe his pay was lower at the beginning of the LOST and then it ended up being more respectful, and that he was waiting for that pattern to hold on H50 and it didn't.

hhhh.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

he was getting paid less than his white co-stars. 

But those white co-stars were the stars of the show and he and Grace Park were not. It wasn't a four part lead series no matter how many times he says it. It was two leads and always was two leads. He was always a supporting cast member so no he shouldn't gotten paid the same. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, xfuse said:

But those white co-stars were the stars of the show and he and Grace Park were not. It wasn't a four part lead series no matter how many times he says it. It was two leads and always was two leads. He was always a supporting cast member so no he shouldn't gotten paid the same. 

I have not watched the show but DDK says that the marketing for the show showed it as an ensemble.

If I Google "Hawaii 5-0 2010" or "Hawaii 5-0 Season 1" these are the kind of images I find. 

Why shouldn't DDK be paid the same?   The role does not have to matter as much as your pedigree and your negotiation.  

I know DDK more than I know these other guys, especially the one who isn't James Caan's son.  If I watch a movie and Chris Walken or Meryl Streep is in the supporting cast, they still could be paid more than the star of the project.

If you use DDK and Grace Park so liberally in the marketing, it's kind of understood you're thinking they will attract viewers to the project, isn't it?

Hawaii_Five-0_-_The_1st_Season.jpeg download.jpeg Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 4.11.52 PM.png

Hawaii-five-0.jpeg

b2c925dbc2b395baf8f4662e2c9bc0b1.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 4.12.19 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

But the marketing for the show was about a 4 piece ensemble and then his white costars got a major pay raise while he and Grace Park did not.  Nothing about the Hawaii 5-0 situation seems okay to me.

I watched Hawaii 5-0 for the first couple seasons and never had the impression it was a 4 piece ensemble. It always felt like the McGarrett and Danno show with Kono (for eye candy for the guys) and...shit, I can't even remember DDKs character. I think they were more for show than ever meant to be actually on the same level as McGarrett and Danno. That is what I think is sad since I would have liked more of their characters and really more Hawaii and less of the typical buddy cop vibe between the two white leads.

I ended up fading away after a while because it was all about McG and D and they were, well McG was the least interesting character to me. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I watched Hawaii 5-0 for the first couple seasons and never had the impression it was a 4 piece ensemble. It always felt like the McGarrett and Danno show with Kono (for eye candy for the guys) and...shit, I can't even remember DDKs character. I think they were more for show than ever meant to be actually on the same level as McGarrett and Danno.

I think that's part of what DDK is upset about and I think he's implying that in the interview.

Though I knew what a CBS procedural was, whether this was naïve or not, I had hopes that Hawaii Five-0 would be different because it was a show set in Hawaii, where the majority of people are not white. I thought it was going to be more of an ensemble show, and if you look at the early marketing and promotion for the show, where Grace Park and I were featured equally as prominently as anyone else, it led me to believe that it could be. I was proven to be wrong.The reboot of Hawaii Five-0 premiered on CBS in 2010. The original marketing for the show prominently featured Kim and Grace Park alongside the white leads, Alex O’Loughlin and Scott Caan. Ultimately, the show’s A plots would go to the two white leads, while Kim and Park played secondary characters. And also, let’s be honest, I was able to make a good living.

When did you realize Hawaii Five-0 wasn’t the ensemble show you had thought it would be?
By the middle of season one.

Was that how it had been pitched to you?
I specifically asked if this was going to be an ensemble, and I was told that it would be. But once you sign a contract, you’re onboard. In the way that Lost transformed that helped my character, this didn’t have the same trajectory. At a certain point, it becomes how much are you going to try and buck this system or how much can you work within it? Understanding that my family was the priority dictated that I was going to stay with it because, look, I’m not mining coal. I’m not digging ditches. I was getting paid well to live in Hawaii, and I was getting paid to act, which is ultimately what I always wanted. So was it perfect? It wasn’t. But was it good enough? Clearly, it was.

When your contract was up for renegotiation, did you see that as an opportunity to have this conversation around equal pay?
Yes. But to be clear, I’d renegotiated before that as well, and that’s how I was able to direct and start my production company, 3AD.Kim is the founder and CEO of 3AD, which he started in 2013 and runs with producer John Cheng. 3AD now has a first-look deal with Amazon. I’ve always tried to be forward looking, and I thought, Well, since Hawaii Five-0 hasn’t turned out the way I was hoping as an actor, what more can I do here? I thought maybe I can parlay my time on the show into trying to direct and produce. I asked for both of those things, and that’s how I was able to start my company. CBS was kind enough to give me a space on the lot and money for an executive. It was the second negotiation where it became clear to me that I needed to get to a place that would make it acceptable for me to go on financially.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, xfuse said:

This is true but he seems to have been (mostly) okay with his initial pay and had a problem years later. At that point Scott Cann was taking a lot of time off but was making the same money. At that point it was more of an ensemble in terms of screen time. The fact that they were paying Cann more to work much less was probably a large factor in DDK and GP deciding to walk. 

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If you use DDK and Grace Park so liberally in the marketing, it's kind of understood you're thinking they will attract viewers to the project, isn't it?

Yeah, I think it was a classic bait and switch.  Assure the 'desirable demographic' talent that they are going to be important, have stories, and be considered a major character only to sideline them when it comes down to actually putting it on the screen where it matters.  Taraji Henson mentioned something similar when she talked about how she was hire for Person of Interest.

I find it rather fascinating that he says his pay difference between Lost and H50 was "drastic" which is interesting since by that last season of Lost there were 8 actors (including DDK) who were main cast and had been since season 1.  And an additional 7 on top of them who were main in the final season, some of whom had been main cast since season season 3. 

So Lost had a huge ass main cast roster, and by my count probably at least 4 - 5 of them would have been higher on the call sheet than DDK  and he was still managing to make "drastically" more there than he was by the time he left H50 (after seven seasons) with only four main cast member, one of whom was possibly making as little as he. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Lost definitely had more buzz to it but in terms of ratings, I don't think they're that far off when you look at end-of-season positions which is quite something given that 50 spent most of its run on Friday nights.  And by Season 7, when he asked for the raise, 50 was actually getting stronger whereas Lost was fading by year 4/5.

I also think international distribution has to factor in.  Hawaii 50 is a show that likely makes more money abroad because it's just more easily digestible for foreign audiences.  It's simple and procedural.  Those tend to do well abroad.

I haven't looked at the numbers in depth but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that even if the overall numbers were the same that Lost did way better in the younger demographics that advertisers prefer. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out that the Lost DVDs sold like crazy.

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm still not getting the issue here.  I don't think DDK is saying Hawaii 5-0 should have necessarily hired him with the salary he was making during LOST -

The headline and the first paragraph of the Vulture article are about the pay cut he took to go from Lost to Hawaii 5-0 so it seems like it was an issue for him.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I have not watched the show but DDK says that the marketing for the show showed it as an ensemble.

Marketing generally shows all regular cast members, leads and supporting. Someone who has been in the business like DDL would have known that. Season 1 of Lost had marketing with all the cast members on that and he certainly wasn't anywhere near a lead on that. It also wasn't really an ensemble cast because Mathew Fox was certainly the lead. 

The original H50 was a buddy cop show focus on the two main leads and the reboot was the same. The show was for Alex O'Loughlin. CBS was really sold on him. He had two failed CBS shows behind him where people said the only good thing about each show was him so they gave him H50

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The headline and the first paragraph of the Vulture article are about the pay cut he took to go from Lost to Hawaii 5-0 so it seems like it was an issue for him.

That was just one issue that he talked about. He specifically says that he took a pay cut and it was never made up. So after 7 years on a successful show he was still making less than he did on Lost and significantly less than the other actors. 

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, I think it was a classic bait and switch.  Assure the 'desirable demographic' talent that they are going to be important, have stories, and be considered a major character only to sideline them when it comes down to actually putting it on the screen where it matters.  Taraji Henson mentioned something similar when she talked about how she was hire for Person of Interest.

Yep. I watched the show for a few years and it felt like they knew they needed Asian actors but never wanted to give them much to do. It was frustrating as a viewer. 

1 minute ago, xfuse said:

Marketing generally shows all regular cast members, leads and supporting. Someone who has been in the business like DDL would have known that. Season 1 of Lost had marketing with all the cast members on that and he certainly wasn't anywhere near a lead on that. It also wasn't really an ensemble cast because Mathew Fox was certainly the lead.

Ensemble doesn’t mean no lead. Lost is considered an ensemble. It’s more about how the screen time is divided. Ensemble also doesn’t mean equal pay. Usually actors are paid based on their name recognition which should have entitled DDK to more than got. There are shows were the lead isn’t the highest paid because they are newcomers. 

4 hours ago, xfuse said:

He agrees with you that it wasn’t an ensemble. He said that he was told that it would be an ensemble and only found out it wasn’t going to be after he had signed the contract. 

1 hour ago, xfuse said:

It absolutely was an ensemble cast.  Every episode focused on a different character in the cast.   The show was originally to star Michael Keaton, and his character was going to die in the pilot, and then he was replaced with Matthew Fox.  While I think Matthew was intended to be the NAME of the cast, I do not call him the sole lead.  When every single episode shifts to a different person in the cast and the entire episode is about that person's backstory, it does not get more ensemble to me.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2