Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Right.  I mean, we all knew it wasn't gonna be permanent.  And I actually like Chrissy and understand why she would have needed a break.  But "Public Afflouncement" (I love this term BTW) is never a good look.  It would have been better and more understandable if she said she was taking a small mental health break from twitter for awhile so if we didn't see her posting, then that is why... blah blah blah. 

Counter point(and despite my posts in this thread I am not a huge Chrissy Stan) but she has previously done just putting her tweets on private and said she was taking a brief mental health break and still got a ton of people commenting on the reasons for both in articles and on Twitter . She has literally done those two versions multiple times over the decade plus she has been on Twitter  and people kept commenting and many dragging her for those choices for the duration of her off time, so maybe she thought actually quitting would help her quit and then she realized even from people engaging with her multiple businesses but also whatever it gives her decided to join again. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Chrissy could have just ... stopped posting.   Even announcing you are taking a mental health break is giving people more information than they need.   The less said, the less that can be twisted around or used as fodder against you.   If you ... just stop posting, no one will notice and no one will have anything to comment on.   

Unfortunately, it seems Chrissy thrives on attention -- good or bad.   But then the bad gets overwhelming and she has to take  break.   But she wants attention for the break.   Which just leads to more negativity.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Chrissy could have just ... stopped posting.   Even announcing you are taking a mental health break is giving people more information than they need.   The less said, the less that can be twisted around or used as fodder against you.   If you ... just stop posting, no one will notice and no one will have anything to comment on.   

Unfortunately, it seems Chrissy thrives on attention -- good or bad.   But then the bad gets overwhelming and she has to take  break.   But she wants attention for the break.   Which just leads to more negativity.

Most celebrities have at least a public managed social media presence! Barbara Streisand has a Twitter and IG account that is regular updated even though the pictures are from like a decade ago with captions from a social media manager. Seriously check out the photo of Barbara posted along side her announcement she and James got their vaccination it’s FROM 2008! Just because she reactived Twitter doesn’t mean she didn’t rethink how much a sMM could benefit her. 
I guarantee that the tweets that don’t seem what tons of people think is her authentic voice is going to be 50/50 she turned it over to a social media manager or she is on some kind of medication. 
To add the photo evidence I mentioned above about Barbra’s official IG account being straight up ridiculous!!: https://www.instagram.com/p/CNBMWGen-fj/?igshid=1uyosp6vky745

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 5
On 4/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Someone made an interesting point saying why couldn't Chrissy Teigen just simply take a break from Twitter for a bit instead of this huge announcement saying she's quitting.  I guess it's because she's a true addict.

She is a true famewhore addict. Look at me! Look at me! 

• Love 8

I think a lot of it is calculated.  When she posts about how she accidentally ordered a $13000 bottle of wine, during the middle of a pandemic, oopsie daisy, how did she think people would react?  I honestly think it's part of her cultivated image as the rich bitch everyone wants to be.  She knows what she's doing.  She's in her mid 30s!  When people call it cyberbullying, I mean come on, that's not cyberbullying.  The stuff about her family is, I get that.  But when she constantly posts about how rich she is, the stuff she makes her live in help do, her mother constantly losing her Air Pods so Chrissy keeps buying her new ones, etc. people are going to react accordingly.  That part is not cyberbullying. It's more like speaking truth to power.

When people whine and pout about how Chrissy is being cyberbullied, it's like, please remember that her husband is worth $75 million and a lot of times when she's called out on stuff it's because she's posting really inhumane things.  

• Love 16
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think a lot of it is calculated.  When she posts about how she accidentally ordered a $13000 bottle of wine, during the middle of a pandemic, oopsie daisy, how did she think people would react?  I honestly think it's part of her cultivated image as the rich bitch everyone wants to be.  She knows what she's doing.  She's in her mid 30s!  When people call it cyberbullying, I mean come on, that's not cyberbullying.  The stuff about her family is, I get that.  But when she constantly posts about how rich she is, the stuff she makes her live in help do, her mother constantly losing her Air Pods so Chrissy keeps buying her new ones, etc. people are going to react accordingly.  That part is not cyberbullying. It's more like speaking truth to power.

When people whine and pout about how Chrissy is being cyberbullied, it's like, please remember that her husband is worth $75 million and a lot of times when she's called out on stuff it's because she's posting really inhumane things.  

I'm not on Twitter and don't pay a ton of attention to Chrissy, but my impression is she loves attention and saying and doing anything on Twitter, but doesn't want any backlash. People can be cruel, especially on social media. But I agree, that doesn't really make her the biggest victim on the planet. She has an extremely charmed, privileged life and can step away from Twitter anytime she wants. She can keep it but not tweet her every thought. She's not being harassed going about her life day to day. There are people who are bullied/harassed every day and can't just leave work or school or whatever. Chrissy is not one of them. 

• Love 13

You can also turn off your replies on Twitter, or make your account private.  She will not do this.  A lot of celebrities engage on Twitter as minimally as can be to minimize the drama.  But, that's how she got famous so she has to keep up this persona.

This is a funny, famous viral tweet.  I totally think that cyberbullying exists, it's just a bit much when people get upset when anyone remotely has anything negative to say to Chrissy (OFTEN WITHOUT TAGGING HER AT ALL!) and people say that it's cyberbullying.  Like you said, she can step away, but I fully think she feels like she has to keep it up because that's her "brand".  She's still "clapping back at her haters", quoting anyone who isn't nice to her so all of her fans go on the attack, but whenever anyone doesn't like her it's boo hoo stop it, everyone mistakenly buys $13000 bottles of wine, I'm so relatable, etc.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

The problem I have with it is that certain people--women, minorities, LBTQIA+ identified people...and people who represent an intersection of a multiple of these characteristics--are often more likely to get harassed on Twitter with more violent messaging like rape threats and death threats even if what they're posting is rather benign.  "Ooh, she had a sports opinion I don't like.  She needs to get raped."

Here in Canada, and I'm sure almost everywhere else, women in politics and women journalists face a lot of really horrible harassment online.  Sickening level harassment.  Mostly they cannot really just walk away from an online presence but even if they could, why should they?  It's just absolutely wrong to expect that IMO.  They are not the ones who need to leave the table!

• Love 12
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

But I agree, that doesn't really make her the biggest victim on the planet.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

And I would argue that Chrissy has faced more harassment than most people.  She has been the victim of mocked-up Tweets.  She does get the rape and death threats.  And the nature of what she does does require a social media presence. 

So I kind of go back and forth.  She's in a better position to protect herself and  would probably get less blowback if she were less engaged but she is also the victim of legit online harassment efforts.

She has been a victim of a crazed targeted campaign of Qanon asshats not only active death threats and rape fantasies but then how they wished her unborn child would die and when it did that she killed it. Her presence and speaking out led to Twitter finally banning thousands of accounts. Again it’s why I actively think she should have someone reading her shit if she is going to be on there but this wasn’t just “I hate you go away” posts.

The dms that Women/lgbtq+Poc get is straight up terrifying when you intersect any of those it’s even more repugnant. The answer is for platforms to start banning people who engage. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Chrissy specifically left Twitter this time because she started a new business with the Kardashian mother (Kris Jenner) and people made fun of the business venture.  I follow her, and she never discussed harassment like this at all.  She specifically referenced a need to be liked, and that she doesn't like being made fun of.

I invite people to think about the difference between harassment and normal criticizing of rich people trying to scam off the poor during a pandemic.

I think that people should be allowed to criticize the rich and powerful especially during the worst economic times of our lives.

Here's the information on the backlash against her Kris Jenner business:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/elliewoodward/chrissy-teigen-kardashian-kris-jenner-collaboration-cleaning

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I follow her, and she never discussed harassment like this at all.  She specifically referenced a need to be liked, and that she doesn't like being made fun of.

If you follow her than you know she has specifically talked about this harassment repeatedly. Perhaps not the last time but definitely in the last four to five months and long before her collab with KJ.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

@biakbiak Yikes!!! That's so disgusting. I'm glad they banned those people. I think anyone that sick should be minimum banned and ideally investigated.

That's different from people who just don't care for everything Chrissy posts. I'm a sensitive person, so if I were a public figure, there's no way I'd be super into Twitter. As a regular gal, I still don't take part in it. I know there are things about it I don't care for, so I don't bother.

11 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Here in Canada, and I'm sure almost everywhere else, women in politics and women journalists face a lot of really horrible harassment online.  Sickening level harassment.  Mostly they cannot really just walk away from an online presence but even if they could, why should they?  It's just absolutely wrong to expect that IMO.  They are not the ones who need to leave the table!

Like I said earlier, I'm not on Twitter and such, so sorry for not being aware of all the details. If someone wants to be unfiltered and provocative on twitter and expect nothing but love, I think that's silly tbh. Now threatening tweets are entirely different. I absolutely agree with you. Anyone who's a serious harasser should absolutely leave Twitter over random celebs who generally aren't bothering anybody. I thought most of what she complained about was people not loving all her posts and being honest/rude. I think most celebs get hate online, and I also thought she was accused of harassment herself, of a very young Courtney Stodden. 

@Ms Blue Jay yes, I've heard more about stuff like what you posted, not a bunch of crazies randomly targeting Chrissy. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

If you follow her than you know she has specifically talked about this harassment repeatedly. Perhaps not the last time but definitely in the last four to five months.

Yes, I am well aware of QAnon and what they do.  But I'm talking about when she quit Twitter this last time, and now has come back, and honestly, she's promoting several businesses at the same time.  And she knows she makes news every time she quits and rejoins Twitter.

She actually never quit Twitter until this Kris Jenner business backlash.  So I'm not sure what Q Anon has to do with it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Like I said earlier, I'm not on Twitter and such, so sorry for not being aware of all the details. If someone wants to be unfiltered and provocative on twitter and expect nothing but love, I think that's silly tbh. Now threatening tweets are entirely different. I absolutely agree with you. Anyone who's a serious harasser should absolutely leave Twitter over random celebs who generally aren't bothering anybody. I thought most of what she complained about was people not loving all her posts and being honest/rude. I think most celebs get hate online, and I also thought she was accused of harassment herself, of a very young Courtney Stodden.

And Quvenzhané Wallis.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

yes, I've heard more about stuff like what you posted, not a bunch of crazies randomly targeting Chriss

In case you want to read more about the synopsis of Chrissy who yes as also been an asshole on line this gives a brief overview But for the cray cray harassment and abuse you have to click on the hyper links inside which is also why she quit and probably why she rejoined in that brief article. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
16 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

That's different from people who just don't care for everything Chrissy posts. I'm a sensitive person, so if I were a public figure, there's no way I'd be super into Twitter. As a regular gal, I still don't take part in it. I know there are things about it I don't care for, so I don't bother.

You’ll never make it as a famewhore, @RealHousewife. I don’t have a Twit account, nor a FB account, nor an Instagram count and I’m still alive! Amazing, right?

Has anyone bothered to tell Chrissy that she doesn’t have to put every thought and emotion she has onto her social media? Or that she has done her own share of name-calling and nastiness and she needs to stop making it like she doesn’t have the ability to defend herself because she’s this poor, put-upon woman who has absolutely no agency over her own acts? What happened to female empowerment? 

When people enlist in a reality show and then whine about others saying critical and judgmental stuff about it on the internet, it’s ridiculous. Just like with Chrissy, if they don’t want to deal with it, no one is stopping them from keeping a lower profile.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Has anyone bothered to tell Chrissy that she doesn’t have to put every thought and emotion she has onto her social media? Or that she has done her own share of name-calling and nastiness and she needs to stop making it like she doesn’t have the ability to defend herself because she’s this poor, put-upon woman who has absolutely no agency over her own acts? What happened to female empowerment? 

Legitimately so, so many people and she has responded to nearly all of those questions.

As to what happened to female empowerment? I imagine it’s doing the definition that she is doing her shit and deciding what she wants to do and is good for her various endeavors.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I'm not on Twitter and don't pay a ton of attention to Chrissy, but my impression is she loves attention and saying and doing anything on Twitter, but doesn't want any backlash. 

Yes. I think the recent Lindsay Ellis controversy (and the response video) reflects this well. Basically, twitter is a snarky, mean platform. But it's also hyper sensitive and critical. One day, you can applauded for hot takes and the next day lambasted. And the wave of backlash that is directed at women is often so overwhelming that it's impossible to have any perspective on thoughtful people you should listen to vs. trolls. But if a celebrity (or someone with even minor influence) has legitimately messed up, there should be space to acknowledge that while understanding that yes, death threats and vicious attacks are always going to be part of the mob for some people.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't think anyone in their right mind would celebrate anything remotely near that.  People have done that, but no one in their right mind would, and no one here is defending that at all.

Exactly. Honestly, I think most of us are on the same page. You can't have millions of followers and tweet anything and expect nothing but love and positivity. Ideally there would be, but most of us know it's not realistic. Most of us also agree anything hateful or threatening is wrong, wrong, wrong. I think anyone who condones violence or celebrates a death or anything crazy like that should be promptly banned. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't think anyone in their right mind would celebrate anything remotely near that.  People have done that, but no one in their right mind would, and no one here is defending that at all.

Yeah, I am not implying anyone here is defending that.  It is truly meant to comment on the extreme fuckery that is how far people go on SM to display out of proportion hatred.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Exactly. Honestly, I think most of us are on the same page. You can't have millions of followers and tweet anything and expect nothing but love and positivity. 

It's like any of the Kardashian posting their heavily photoshopped photos & then getting upset when people call them out on it.

• Love 9

Lindsay Ellis mentioned in her video that she won’t be able to walk away from Twitter like she wants to because she has contractual obligations to her publisher that require her to post.  So she’s planning to honor that but otherwise stay off of Twitter.  I wonder if Chrissy may have similar obligations.

• Love 2

There are a whole bunch of articles today quoting Kate Winslet talking about her daughter Mia's fledgling acting career (two screen credits, currently filming a new project). Kate makes a point of saying that because Mia's surname is Threapleton, many people don't realise she is Kate's daughter, which is an advantage to her - but by making that statement in this interview, she is undermining the very point she is making! If people didn't know Mia was Kate's daughter before, they surely will now.

• Love 12

You can fulfill your contractual obligations to be on social media without posting your every thought.   You can post pictures of your pets (usually non controversial) or pictures of trees in bloom in spring or whatever.   You can be "personal" and engaged without revealing every detail of your personal life.    The folks who are good at SM know how to draw the boundaries in what they share.   The ones who NEED the attention have a harder time drawing boundaries.

Death threats should always be reported.   The problem is that algorithm gets misused by certain groups to then dogpile on the people they target.   I had one friend who has 3 accounts suspended because he keeps posting proof from original documents that certainn groups certainly in the news are posting an age old lie.  He's not polite about it but he's not threatening in a way any REASONABLE person would take it.   but they don't like their llie being disprove so easily so they pile on and report him for "harassment."  Enough complaints and he's suspended.   Meanwhile women get legit death threats and twitter is all " doesn't violate our community standard."

the nice historian guy on Pawn Stars is retiring.   Of ALL the experts, I liked him best.   Because he didn't BS or mug for the cameras, he just laid out the history and left it there.   https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/clark-countys-historian-turned-celebrity-mark-hall-patton-to-retire/article_8d22a906-a171-11eb-9bf2-1bb9a607d8e2.html

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

We need an angry emoji. It's garbage* like him who eggs on Asian hate crimes.

*I apologize for insulting garbage. I don't know another word to use.

There are a lot of people who egg on hate crimes toward numerous groups.

• Love 6
On 4/20/2021 at 7:17 AM, Llywela said:

There are a whole bunch of articles today quoting Kate Winslet talking about her daughter Mia's fledgling acting career (two screen credits, currently filming a new project). Kate makes a point of saying that because Mia's surname is Threapleton, many people don't realise she is Kate's daughter, which is an advantage to her - but by making that statement in this interview, she is undermining the very point she is making! If people didn't know Mia was Kate's daughter before, they surely will now.

There used to be this Great comedy sketch about how desperate Kate Winslet was to be seen as normal and "real" while still being a carefully cultivated attention hog. This is reminding me of that sketch.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 5
14 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Apparently Falwell won’t walk away with a big settlement after all.  The university wants him to pay for damages they claim they suffered due to his behavior.  

Falwell Jr claims it's all lies and half truths.

https://wset.com/news/local/jerry-falwell-jr-fires-back-twitter-social-media-liberty-university-lawsuit-virginia

Also Falwell's son, Trey Falwell, no longer works at Liberty.

https://wset.com/news/local/trey-falwell-son-of-jerry-falwell-jr-no-longer-works-at-liberty-university

If a book is written about this saga, I'm first in line to buy it.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Falwell Jr claims it's all lies and half truths.

https://wset.com/news/local/jerry-falwell-jr-fires-back-twitter-social-media-liberty-university-lawsuit-virginia

Also Falwell's son, Trey Falwell, no longer works at Liberty.

https://wset.com/news/local/trey-falwell-son-of-jerry-falwell-jr-no-longer-works-at-liberty-university

If a book is written about this saga, I'm first in line to buy it.  

Oh God me too. The day he resigned last year birthed so many marvelous memes that I still have stored on my phone. LOLOL 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:Or a made for TV movie.

I’d prefer a motion picture. Recall the movie Falwell vs. Larry Flint?  The actor who played Falwell in that, who looked just like him, is now dead.  I think that Al Pacino could do it now or Alec Baldwin.  And for the Falwell, Jr in recent years, Matthew McConaughey. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I had zero knowledge of this. I hope he's doing better now. 

https://wmgk.com/2021/02/26/john-mulaney-out-of-rehab/

I want John to be doing better. But the way this article describes him  is crazy fucked up. One can be clean cut and an alcoholic who does coke.. Legitimately anyone who ever listened to his comedy was never surprised he described both his alcohol and drug abuse on most of his specials. Yes he was sober for a long period of time but a relapse during a pandemic where he couldn’t perform doesn’t make it surprising. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 17
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I had zero knowledge of this. I hope he's doing better now. 

I remember it being discussed when it happened.  And while it was sad, it wasn't that surprising based on some of his weird appearances on Late Night With Seth Meyers just before he went into rehab.

I do think this was his first stint in rehab.  He had previously discussed just going cold turkey.  I'm glad he's taking the rehab/sober living route and I hope it gives him tools for when he struggles in the future.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I do think this was his first stint in rehab.

It wasn’t. He has talked about it several times on various interviews the Pete Holmes podcast comes to mind but he and Moshe Kasher have also discussed it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 8
  • Love 2