Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, GaT said:

I think the question is not where did the baby come from, but who in their right mind wants another newborn after having one just 5 months ago, in addition to the 4 other kids under the age of 8 you already have. 

Nannies.   You only have to be around the kids when you want to be.   And I am sure the nursery area is wellllllll sound proofed so St. Hilaria can get her beauty sleep.   

• Love 16
(edited)

Regardless of nannies and how well you love kids, it seems very odd to be pregnant with one child and at the same time hire a surrogate to have another just months later. 

This 'surrogate' may have been, uhhhh.....accidental, which may explain Alec's reaction to the question being so vile. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 3/3/2021 at 7:10 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Regardless of nannies and how well you love kids, it seems very odd to be pregnant with one child and at the same time hire a surrogate to have another just months later. 

This 'surrogate' may have been, uhhhh.....accidental, which may explain Alec's reaction to the question being so vile. 

Possibly, but it doesn't take much to set off Mr. Baldwin's vile hair trigger.

I'm wondering if the Baldwins'  firstborn Carmen might not have begged them to have given her a little sister since she was the ONLY girl  in the house with four brothers.  

Also, why wouldn't they have been surprised that anyone who can do math would have at least questioned the close timing of Baby Lucia's appearance after their youngest son's birth? 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 9

It is weird that they're not saying.  I suspect, when they had the miscarriage/miscarriages last year, they looked into surrogacy.  They were in the process when Hilaria got pregnant and decided to continue it. 

• Useful 10
  • Love 5

I suspect, when they had the miscarriage/miscarriages last year, they looked into surrogacy.  They were in the process when Hilaria got pregnant and decided to continue it. 

I know two couples who had miscarriage after miscarriage. Their doctor's said their odds of carrying to term were slim, so they decided to adopt. The thought their chances of being picked were slim, so they kept trying. Suddenly, they were both selected by a birth mom and pregnant. Neither were guaranteed, so they proceeded with both and ended up with two kids born within months of each other. Lots of work, but both couples were so happy.

Alec may be hair-triggered, but do we really need to know all the mechanics? If his wife does have trouble carrying to term, does she need to publicly air that heartache? They aren't hurting anybody, so I think they can be allowed to keep their medical details private. They kind of have to announce the addition to their family because people are going to notice.

• Love 5

kili,

I would agree but it's a bit unrealistic for anyone to announce a baby's arrival five months after their previous one's birth- and NOT expect anyone to wonder where did their latest had come from. 

IOW, it would have gone far better had they just announced it and added the barebones detail about it having been likely via a surrogate and then moved on instead of announcing their addition then taking umbrage at anyone wondering if she could have arrived via a surrogate.

And, while Mr. Baldwin hasn't physically harmed anyone over it (yet), he was needlessly harsh. 

• Love 7
On 3/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, Blergh said:

Agree but I wonder why that's being brought up now?

BTW, he's the only son of the late movie icon Steve McQueen as well as the father of The Vampire Diaries star Stephen R. McQueen.

Between these two and the director, that's too many Steve McQueens for me to keep track of.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The Utah bill Paris Hilton testified in support of last month (based on the abuse she suffered at Provo Canyon School) passed today; it increases oversight of the industry and prohibits the use of certain methods and significantly limits the use of others.  She said on Instagram:

And in a statement to People, she said:

Good on her, of course.

I remember back when her and Britney were generally laughed at for being trainwrecks. Suddenly they're considered respectable figures with unpleasant pasts. Living in the future is weird.

• Love 14
(edited)
16 hours ago, Blergh said:

I'm wondering if the Baldwin's firstborn Carmen might not have begged them to have given her a little sister since she was the ONLY girl  in the house with four brothers.  

It says as much in the article I linked to. Only it’s phrased more like Hilaria promised Carmen a little sister at some point—& I think she did so especially after 1 of the miscarriages Hilaria had before the births of Eduardo & Lucia (the last baby Hilaria delivered & the 1 which appeared, seemingly from nowhere, in the last couple of days) ended up being late enough in the pregnancy where you could tell the gender. It would’ve been the seemingly elusive little sister Carmen Baldwin was hoping for. I don’t think they could tell the gender(s) of the other miscarried baby/babies. I think Carmen loves her half-sister, Ireland, but at her age having a half-sister who’s a grownup like Mommy & Daddy isn’t quite as fun as having 1 to grow up with even though your grown half-sister will do all the stuff with you 1 closer to your age would. And playing with boys toys a lot isn’t fun either, especially if you’re a “girly-girl”, which she may be. I can see all this.

I think the article was saying something like worrying about the pandemic was taking away wanting to be pregnant again (I could see that—a number of people are worried about what exposure to the virus [& now its variants] &/or the vaccines might do to a fetus in utero, as far as birth defects, being born on the autism scale, etc.,) so maybe they hired a surrogate & then got pregnant, accidentally, around the same time as/before the surrogate. It’s happened before.

It feels like there was another point I wanted to make, but I don’t remember it now. I’ll make it when/if I find it.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix wording and punctuation issues.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

And speaking of surrogates.......

Sofia Vergara's Ex Can't Use Embryos Without Her Consent, Court Rules

The 'Modern Family' star won big in L.A. County Superior Court, where Nick Loeb had been fighting tooth and nail for permission to bring the embryos to term, even going so far as trying to take custody of them through a trust ... and giving the fertilized eggs names in a lawsuit.

Welp, the judge said that ain't gonna happen ... at least not without Sofia's consent. The judge granted a permanent injunction -- saying the contract they both signed with a fertility clinic back in 2013 remains valid.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Thank goodness! Her ex is an absolute piece of shit!

Seriously, he just wanted to control her & get her money using the embryos.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, GaT said:

I wonder if they had said he could use them if she would have sued for custody because no child should be raised by that vile trash.

• Love 2

We've talked about child actors, pushy stage parents and how much agency the kids have in their career. Jennette McCurdy, formerly of “iCarly”, says she's done with acting and 'So Ashamed Of The Parts I’ve Done’. It was her mother's idea and she became the family breadwinner. She was finally able to quit because her mother died.

“I resent my career in a lot of ways. I feel so unfulfilled by the roles that I played and felt like it was the most cheesy, embarrassing. I did the shows that I was on from like 13 to 21, and by 15, I was already embarrassed. My friends at 15, they’re not like, ‘Oh, cool, you’re on this Nickelodeon show.’ It was embarrassing. And I imagine there’s a very different experience to be had with acting if you’re proud of your roles, and if you feel fulfilled by them,” she said.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

We've talked about child actors, pushy stage parents and how much agency the kids have in their career. Jennette McCurdy, formerly of “iCarly”, says she's done with acting and 'So Ashamed Of The Parts I’ve Done’. It was her mother's idea and she became the family breadwinner. She was finally able to quit because her mother died.

Good. I'm not familiar with her work, but if she doesn't want to continue, she shouldn't be made to. People should be free to pursue their own paths through life.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

Good on her, of course.

I remember back when her and Britney were generally laughed at for being trainwrecks. Suddenly they're considered respectable figures with unpleasant pasts. Living in the future is weird.

To be honest, Paris left that stuff behind her a long time ago, and it's only now Britney is getting a reevaluation.  I've seen multiple clips of Paris, going back more than a few years now, where she's abandoned the faux-vapid thing and talks like a fully realized adult in front of a camera.  I do think, maybe for branding, in other things you'll see, she still drops in the annoying "that's hot" crap, but overall that hasn't been her for a long time (not that it ever fully was - a lot of it was always an act). 

Her far less rich pseudo friend Nicole Ritchie dropped that crap even earlier. You can see video of Ritchie from pretty much right after the time when she was a sidekick for Paris, where she talked totally differently and actually expressed complex thoughts. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

Good. I'm not familiar with her work, but if she doesn't want to continue, she shouldn't be made to. People should be free to pursue their own paths through life.

It's interesting, because while I'm not the right demographic, I've seen just enough of her work to know Jennette McCurdy had a somewhat different energy than most of her contemporaries.  It makes more sense knowing she never really wanted to do it. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, GaT said:

Apparently he's super rich so it wasn't even about a payday just about controlling her and finding a way to stay in her life. He's an asshole of the highest order.

(edited)
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Children should not be family breadwinners.   Children should not be family breadwinners.  Children should not be family breadwinners.

Even if your child wants to get into acting, music, dance, or whatever, it is a parent's job to support the family, not the other way around.

Jeanette said in a podcast that her mother had eating issues and purposely starved her as a kid to keep her small and cute for casting reasons. Like she'd feed her only a cup of broccoli for dinner.

In that same podcast, she also talked about how former child stars are basically set up for breakdowns.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
On 3/3/2021 at 9:20 AM, Blergh said:

I'm wondering if the Baldwin's firstborn Carmen might not have begged them to have given her a little sister since she was the ONLY girl  in the house with four brothers.  

They used a surrogate and, I'm guessing, IVF-based gender selection, to buy their daughter a sister.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, vibeology said:

Apparently he's super rich so it wasn't even about a payday just about controlling her and finding a way to stay in her life. He's an asshole of the highest order.

He may not need the money, but he probably wants to make sure she has to pay large sums of it to him just for the humiliation of it.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Kromm said:

Her far less rich pseudo friend Nicole Ritchie dropped that crap even earlier. You can see video of Ritchie from pretty much right after the time when she was a sidekick for Paris, where she talked totally differently and actually expressed complex thoughts. 

Nicole Ritchie blew me away on the show Great News. I thought her character would be just a rip-off of Jenna from 30 Rock but she ended up bringing so much more to it. And on a show that had Tina Fey and John Michael Higgins she was a lot of times the funniest character.

12 hours ago, Kromm said:

It's interesting, because while I'm not the right demographic, I've seen just enough of her work to know Jennette McCurdy had a somewhat different energy than most of her contemporaries.  It makes more sense knowing she never really wanted to do it. 

I hope she made enough money on those shows to be able to do what she wants to do. Because nothing against her but I suspect that Nickelodeon back stage high school may not provide the solid education a person would need to make their way in the world.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

If she lives like a normal person ( as in not like a celebrity) she may have enough from the residuals and savings. And revenue from her podcast? I have no idea how you make money off that. It seems like she stuck with it for a few more years after her mother's death because she was her family's only income. Hopefully they've gotten off the gravy train and gotten jobs. Or did pre-pandemic.

Eating disorders always make me think of poor Karen Carpenter, who was able to get past her anorexia but still died young because her heart was so weakened. She had also unknowingly ingested toxic substances to induce vomiting. She's really the reason why there's such a greater awareness and understanding of eating disorders as a disease after her death.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I decided to look into some info on Alex Baldwin, due to the discussion here about his wife and growing family.  I realize this is likely not accurate about his net worth, however I found it amazing.  His philosophy of life is pretty cool.  
https://wealthygorilla.com/alec-baldwin-net-worth/

Did I miss something in that link that mentions his philosophy of life? It had lessons to be learned from him but none of that was his own words. 

On 3/4/2021 at 9:44 AM, praeceptrix said:

I live under a rock, so I had no idea that Mariah Carey had published a memoir, let alone that her siblings are suing her for defamation and emotional distress caused by it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56277805

Yikes. I really need to read her memoir. I thought everyone knew Mariah had siblings, but I forget I know some stuff about Mariah's childhood and family because I'm a "lamb."

Mariah's alluded many years ago to having it rough when she was younger, and I've heard the rumors about her sister. Tbh I don't know what the right thing to do is when you're a celebrity who's had trauma caused by family. Should you keep it to yourself or do you get it off your chest? I believe Mariah and feel awful for everything she's endured. I think people look at her and see someone who's wealthy, talented, pretty, and happy. She also has this image of hello kitty and all things festive, the queen of Christmas! But I think she's experienced a lot of hurt, kept it inside for decades, makes it a point to try to be happy, and despite the sexy image, there's an innocence about her. She's very protective of herself with men and has said she's slept with very few people throughout her life. I think it's due to stuff that happened to her in her youth and things she saw in her family. Mariah has a big heart, is very generous with what she has, but just because she's successful doesn't mean she has to deal with abusive family. It sounds like she's been taken advantage of and sold out time and time again. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
(edited)

Huh.  I just found out that Pam Grier and Freddy Prinze were in a long term relationship in the early 70s and were even talking marriage.  But he really wanted kids and she was reluctant to  because of his depression and drug addiction and that is what finally broke them up.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Patton Oswalt trolled Scott Baio in a Twitter feud

Somehow, I hope Wanda Sykes would further embarrass Scott. It's just so embarrassing to act like someone who has never matured in his life. Now I know why....😂

They are all coming off like a bunch of asshole kids.  But honestly the the piling on makes some of them come across like bullies that are punching down.  Its not a good look on anybody involved.

I do often wonder how I was such a stupid kid.  I really did believe that childhood was a phase and people would grow the fuck up and become kinder, better, more responsible and considerate as whatever mess of childhood hormones settled down.  Now I spend a lot of time marveling how many assholes just stay assholes forever.  There is no side here that is right or good.  I find all of them cringe inducing.

• Love 13
38 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

They are all coming off like a bunch of asshole kids.  But honestly the the piling on makes some of them come across like bullies that are punching down.  Its not a good look on anybody involved.

I do often wonder how I was such a stupid kid.  I really did believe that childhood was a phase and people would grow the fuck up and become kinder, better, more responsible and considerate as whatever mess of childhood hormones settled down.  Now I spend a lot of time marveling how many assholes just stay assholes forever.  There is no side here that is right or good.  I find all of them cringe inducing.

I don't disagree with you on that point. I don't do Twitter, but it is amusing to watch, but for all the wrong reasons. The best is Wanda Sykes owning Scott and embarrassing him like the bully he is.

• Love 9

I wonder why Mr. Oswalt felt compelled to do that? I mean, unless one openly worships Mr. Baio and his pets, it's a virtual guarantee that one will only get  his brays in response that put  bona fide jackasses to shame.  Frankly, that sounds worse than a skunk rassle with  no one winning but both participants  stinking. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Come on! Really?! Why would they do this?! Of course, it's outrageous that they'd do this to ANYone who wasn't doing criminal activities but somehow it's extra infuriating that they'd do this to someone famous for having composed  an apt poem for the Biden Inauguration! 

Jesus! What the hell, man? This is so infuriating!

• Love 6

And revenue from her podcast? I have no idea how you make money off that. 

I don't know the exact details but my impression is its all ad revenue (unless you're bought by a larger podcast network). But even then, a company will either directly reach out to you for spon-con (seemingly more of a one-time thing like an influencer posting on Instagram) and the ad reads often come from a third party who arranges advertising for all kinds of podcasts. You can still say yes or no to individual companies but that's why so many podcasts are advertising the same things... Squarespace, Hello Fresh, etc. Companies will just buy podcast advertising on a group of relevant podcasts (they might be grouped by entertainment, politics, sports, etc.) instead of listening to each podcast to see how it aligns with their company because that would take forever. The third party company packages the podcasts it works with into groups for the advertisers.

• Useful 2
(edited)
On 3/4/2021 at 11:08 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I decided to look into some info on Alex Baldwin, due to the discussion here about his wife and growing family.  I realize this is likely not accurate about his net worth, however I found it amazing.  His philosophy of life is pretty cool.  
https://wealthygorilla.com/alec-baldwin-net-worth/

Who the hell wrote that?

Career highlights are beetlejuice, a star is born (I honestly don't even remember him in that movie) and it's complicated???  I dont even remember that last movie

He is freakin' jack donaghy.  And the guy who claimed to be god in one if the most famous movie monologues ever.   It's like this was written by someone who knows nothing about his careee

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Come on! Really?! Why would they do this?!

Because she's black.  This story is infuriating, certainly, but it's not remotely surprising.  Racial profiling is a daily reality, and even her moment of international attention isn't enough to dent that; it merely results in her speaking about what happened to her being publicized instead of being ignored as it is with most.  As she said, "This is the reality of black girls: One day you're called an icon, the next day a threat."

• Love 14
50 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Elisabeth Shue felt uncomfortable during a certain scene in Karate Kid

All because she had to be at a specific weight in one scene. Freaking Hollywood! This further shows Hollywood still hasn't evolved yet. I think she was fine no matter what and this was her first big movie! I can't believe that crap! Hide her athleticism....WTF?

This is an experience related from 1983.  If it was evidence that Hollywood hasn't evolved yet then I would assume she'd have given examples from somewhere in the thirty eight years since she filmed it.   

I'm not saying that it wasn't wrong or that Hollywood has evolved, really.  I just don't see how this in particular is further evidence that Hollywood still hasn't evolved.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Because she's black.  This story is infuriating, certainly, but it's not remotely surprising.  Racial profiling is a daily reality, and even her moment of international attention isn't enough to dent that; it merely results in her speaking about what happened to her being publicized instead of being ignored as it is with most.  As she said, "This is the reality of black girls: One day you're called an icon, the next day a threat."

I didn't know who she was, don't watch inaugurations, but as soon as I read "looked suspicious" I knew it was some racist asshole thinking no black woman could afford to live in whatever neighborhood it was. I hate people sometimes. I really, really do. 

Every time I think I'm not priviledged I remember that I can walk down a street without being suspected of something, or worse, shot by some fool who thinks they have the right to "protect their land", that if I'm pulled over, I don't have to be afraid of making a sudden move that will get me killed, that if I'm browsing in a store I won't be followed by security. Land of the free clearly only applies to some and it breaks my heart. 

• Love 13