Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

I get that it's how these profiles go but ugh at this quote from the Shelley Duvall article.

Her hair has thinned and grayed, her breathy, Minnie Mouse voice gone gravelly (she chain-smokes Parliaments) and her trademark stick figure — the one she used to full advantage playing Olive Oyl in Robert Altman's Popeye — has filled out. 

At least if he had to talk about a woman's body he tried to not be shitty about it? Idk...

I will always remember Shelley for Faerie Tale Theatre more than anything else.

Undaunted, Unkrich continued his search for Duvall, whose location was never disclosed by the Dr. Phil show. He finally located her in Texas two years ago and made a pilgrimage to show her a trove of Shining photos from Kubrick's archive: "I was really curious to see how she would react and the stories that it might draw out of her." Unkrich was pleased to find that the Duvall on Dr. Phil was just one part of a bigger picture. Yes, she could be gripped by anxiety attacks or meander into unsettling descriptions of alien-surveillance programs. But she also could converse for long, coherent stretches and conjure up the slightest details about her life and of her career, of which she remains very proud.

I made the same pilgrimage to meet Duvall on a warm January morning in 2021, unsure of what I would find when I got there. I only knew that it didn't feel right for McGraw's insensitive sideshow to be the final word on her legacy. Her mood ebbed and flowed throughout the day, but, like Unkrich, I found her memory to be sharp and her stories engrossing.

At one point, as I stood a pandemic-safe distance from her car window grilling her about Altman and Kubrick and her Shining co-star Jack Nicholson, Duvall narrowed her gaze and asked, "What's your angle?" The question — pointed and savvy — made me laugh. It was clear she could still play the game, rendering me a little tongue-tied in the process.

Also, weird that the author of this piece was like 'tee hee, she's still got it' when it feels like she's right to be skeptical of all these random dudes showing up in her town to get something out of her. 

She got the offer in a call from Kubrick himself ("He said I was great at crying"), whom she had never met. 

Unnerving

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Of course, one telling sign of whether it was she or her intended/s who broke the engagements would be if she had kept the ring/s.

There were many rumors that she was the one who paid for the ring, so I would think she wasn't giving anything back.

• Love 1

As for Justin Timberlake, I was never into him, either. My sister was a huge *N Sync fan, and he was her favorite, so I was familiar with his work that way, but he never did anything for me (plus, I was a Backstreet girl anyway, so...:p). I always thought he gave off a kinda cocky vibe. So this is not all that surprising to me. 

For me, his peak was the movie Model Behavior. As far as I know, his acting has never improved since then either. His music is trash. I wish I had a better term than "blue eyed soul" but yeah, I've always hated it. 

I only know who Nick Lachey is because he was part of the group 98 Degrees who sang the theme song from Mulan “True to Your Heart” with Stevie Wonder.

Same. Plus, The Sing Off a capella competition. I seek out weird parts of the culture apparently. 

I’d never seen these photos before. Who in the world thought it was a good idea to have them do photos which look a lot like a woman trying to escape a man, him holding her to the bed and then carrying around her drugged/dead body around? 

For some reason my brain remembers that magazine cover but I never saw the actual photo spread until now.

RE: Kim Novak These quotes are so sad. There's a core of humanity here that I don't think most celebs achieve when they talk about beauty standards. She makes herself very vulnerable in these statements. It's not dressed up.

“You know when you get insecure and you think somebody can help you? 

“It’s exciting to dress up in gorgeous clothes and to feel sexy and to look sexy. It’s wonderful, but it’s a trap,” she continued, adding that becoming reliant on beauty — something that is fleeting — is setting yourself up for disappointment. “You become satisfied with that being enough, then later in life, it isn’t enough. So many people, once they got older and were no longer looked at for their beauty, just fell apart.”

• Love 4
4 hours ago, GaT said:

There were many rumors that she was the one who paid for the ring, so I would think she wasn't giving anything back.

Was it one or all  three of Miss Hilton's betrotheds who allegedly paid for  the ring/s?

Edited by Blergh
10 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Was it one or all  three of Miss Hilton's betrotheds who allegedly paid for  the ring/s?

Well, she said that Chris Zylka paid for the giant pear shaped ring with "social media posts" so it was free & she was keeping it, but people didn't really believe it since it was a $2 million ring. Paris Latsis probably paid for his ring since he's also a rich heir. Can't remember the 3rd guy.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2021 at 8:30 AM, Blergh said:

Agree that Mr. Hilton DOES have the nerve of a canal horse to be commenting on this- considering his own past actions!

Geez, I don't get this reference at all.  Is this like "fifteen miles on the Erie Canal" and all that? still don't get it.

• LOL 1
55 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Geez, I don't get this reference at all.  Is this like "fifteen miles on the Erie Canal" and all that? still don't get it.

Canals (including the Erie)  used to employ teams of horses to pull boat and barges - and, not surprisingly due to their unchanging venues of trodding back and forth on  the very same stretch of canal day after day, year after year,etc., they often were less docile and had worse tempers than other domestic horses. Hence, 'nerve of a canal horse' came to be. 

I thought it was apt for Mr. Hilton re his pompous POV re Miss Spears.

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 4
49 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Canals (including the Erie)  used to employ teams of horses to pull boat and barges - and, not surprisingly due to their unchanging venues of trodding back and forth on  the very same stretch of canal day after day, year after year,etc., they often were less docile and had worse tempers than other domestic horses. Hence, 'nerve of a canal horse' came to be. 

I thought it was apt for Mr. Hilton re his pompous POV re Miss Spears.

Wow, can't agree.  "Nerve" in that context would mean pluck, backbone, spirit, etc.  I think a better word than "nerve" in this case would be the useful Yiddish term "chutzpah."   The classic example being the man who murders both his parents and then asks the judge to be merciful since he is now an an orphan.

• Love 4
On 2/20/2021 at 11:34 PM, GaT said:

Paris Latsis probably paid for his ring since he's also a rich heir. Can't remember the 3rd guy.

Personally I think that was all a PR stunt. I dont think the ring was even real. He was about 18 years and his father said he had never met Paris Hilton. I dont think he spent any of his fathers money for a ring. JMO

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Maybe after 28 years (?!), they simply decided they had done all they could do as a performing duo and they each wanted to do other things in their middle years. It least it seems to have happened due to mutual agreement without any evident acrimony. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
On 2/20/2021 at 8:22 PM, aradia22 said:

“It’s exciting to dress up in gorgeous clothes and to feel sexy and to look sexy. It’s wonderful, but it’s a trap,” she continued, adding that becoming reliant on beauty — something that is fleeting — is setting yourself up for disappointment. “You become satisfied with that being enough, then later in life, it isn’t enough. So many people, once they got older and were no longer looked at for their beauty, just fell apart.”

I've always thought of Joan Crawford as the quintessential example of someone who just couldn't handle getting older and aging. She became a recluse at the end of her life.

• Love 3

I try to watch Dolly Parton anytime I see her being interviewed, because I always learn something new or take away a new prospective on things.  She’s a breath of fresh air.  I’ve watched her since I was a child, but it wasn’t until about 20 years ago that I started to appreciate how much more she has to offer other than music.  Some things she’s demonstrated: be grateful for all you have, even if it’s modest; giving is better than receiving; don’t take yourself too seriously and enjoy humor.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 17
On 2/20/2021 at 7:22 PM, aradia22 said:

RE: Kim Novak These quotes are so sad. There's a core of humanity here that I don't think most celebs achieve when they talk about beauty standards. She makes herself very vulnerable in these statements. It's not dressed up.

So true. 

5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I've always thought of Joan Crawford as the quintessential example of someone who just couldn't handle getting older and aging. She became a recluse at the end of her life.

That's so sad. I think Bettie Page was similar. She said she wanted to be remembered young and beautiful. She rarely made appearances once she retired from modeling. 

I believe in being positive and trying to embrace your age. I truly think you even age better when you do that rather than stressing out and getting plastic surgery, but I totally get wanting to be young forever. I am not a movie star or a supermodel, and I just feel it as a normal girl. Who doesn't want to feel pretty, admired, and like you have your choice of men? None of use want to feel old, unattractive, and undesirable. As long as the attention is respectful, I LOVE getting hit on. I will be sad once it stops. The pressure has to be so much more for these really beautiful celebrities that the public picks apart. 

• Love 2

I try to watch Dolly Parton anytime I see her being interviewed, because I always learn something new or take away a new prospective on things.  

I actually don't like interviews that much. Because she's still out here being like... I don't want to be labeled as a feminist. And that does sour me a bit on her music and her philanthropic contributions and all the other reasons there are to love her. Also, I get that Miley's her goddaughter but... no. I'm never going to be a Miley stan.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I actually don't like interviews that much. Because she's still out here being like... I don't want to be labeled as a feminist. And that does sour me a bit on her music and her philanthropic contributions and all the other reasons there are to love her. 

A lot of people hate the word feminist. It makes me sad too because it's just about equality, not hatred towards or superiority over men, but I think Dolly has always treaded softly with labels so as not to offend. She doesn't do politics either. 

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I actually don't like interviews that much. Because she's still out here being like... I don't want to be labeled as a feminist. And that does sour me a bit on her music and her philanthropic contributions and all the other reasons there are to love her. Also, I get that Miley's her goddaughter but... no. I'm never going to be a Miley stan.

Dolly is great, but not perfect.  My big issue with her the past few years is that she's so committed to continuing to appeal to everyone, that I think a few issues she SHOULD have taken a public stand on, she didn't. 

I can't really blame her, but it did make me realize that a halo doesn't really fit anyone... even Dolly Parton. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
28 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Dolly is great, but not perfect.  My big issue with her the past few years is that she's so committed to continuing to appeal to everyone, that I think a few issues she SHOULD have taken a public stand on, she didn't. 

I can't really blame her, but it did make me realize that a halo doesn't really fit anyone... even Dolly Parton. 

I agree that no one is perfect. There are things I like about different people. I think Dolly must be as close as a human can get to perfect though. This many years in the public eye, and she's always been sweet and unproblematic, and she's done so much good for the world, from her positive music to her philanthropy to being a wonderful role model for all of us. 

I am a very opinionated person on this forum and in real life with people I know. I'm reserved with strangers, and I'm not sure how I would be if I were a public figure. Once you make a stance on something, it's out there forever and ever. I'm not someone who wouldn't listen to an artist with different political views, but there are many who are that way. I understand Dolly about this. She even got ripped apart for saying black lives matter last year. 

I find people who are passionate and have something to say the most interesting to talk to and watch in interviews. Much as I love Dolly, boob jokes and being a people pleaser just aren't riveting to me. I also think sometimes being a little in your face about certain issues because you care so much can be worth it, if it's for the betterment of humankind or animals. Many celebs take advantage of their platforms to make a difference. Dolly still does this, just in a nonpolitical way. My fave celebs as far as interviews and social media ere the ones who are a little more on the vocal side. Take Pam Anderson. She's another busty blonde who's known to be a nice, harmless person. But she speaks up for animals and even gets political. She's smarter than people give her credit for, and she's very respectful when sharing her opinions. I saw her on The View awhile ago, and she showed so much grace when Meghan McCain was quite rude to her. So I think there's a way to have opinions that are controversial but do so in a manner that isn't aggressive or disrespectful towards anyone. You do risk losing fans, but for me personally, it would probably be worth it. Not judging those who'd rather entirely keep their mouths shut, but I get what you mean. I think Alyssa Milano is a nice person, but whether you agree with her or not, she is very aggressive with her activism. For me, it's about having balance between being in your face with your opinions and not having any. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

A lot of people hate the word feminist. It makes me sad too because it's just about equality, not hatred towards or superiority over men, but I think Dolly has always treaded softly with labels so as not to offend. She doesn't do politics either. 

She doesn't do labels, she just DOES.   Can't remember the specifics but there was a ride or something at Dollywood that folks called out as racist.   She didn't get in a kerfluffle about it.   She just -- CHANGED it.   the whole thing, the name, the theme, everything.   As she said, if something is wrong, you fix it.   Same with LGBQT+, she doesn't care who you love, how you live your life (as long as you don't harm others).   She's going to be respectful to you because you are a HUMAN BEING.   She just tries to do the RIGHT thing and doesn't worry about what label to put on it.  

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Why am I not surprised that he'd have done that? He's come across as  someone who barely has squeaked by being able to conceal their smarmy side over the years! Hello, Mr. Sajak, there's no good reason to have treated him like Sylvester the Cat! Yeah, the man seemed to try to laugh it off but my guess was that he was trying to deflect attention from what had happened and just wanted to get on with the game! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I think Miss Crawford couldn't handle not being considered the most glamorous woman in the room . It was after an appearance at a party with Rosalind Russell in 1974 in which her appearance got criticized and her aging called out that she told acquaintances that she no longer wanted to be seen by the public if they didn't think she looked good even with all the effort she put in to her appearance. Still,   she wasn't quite as obsessed with her appearance as Mae West who would insist on having the lighting checked and modified   before her entrances in her last decade- even when just walking to a restaurant table! 

I'm not sure that there's any current celebs that obsessed. 

• Love 2

Fox News Channel’s reporting that Los Angeles County (California) Sheriffs are, in turn, saying that PGA golfing legend Tiger Woods was involved in an auto accident at around 7AM local (Pacific) time. The car was in bad shape (probably obviously) & the jaws of life had to be used to rescue him.

As I typed this, I just got a notification on my iPhone from ABC News confirming Tiger was injured in a car crash in LA this morning, & it was a rollover crash. I also got a notification from USA Today confirming the jaws of life were used; as well as a notification from the ABC affiliate I follow, from my uncle’s hometown, saying the crash occurred in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, with an aerial view I haven’t seen yet.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To correct the spelling of a word.
7 hours ago, merylinkid said:

She doesn't do labels, she just DOES.   Can't remember the specifics but there was a ride or something at Dollywood that folks called out as racist.   She didn't get in a kerfluffle about it.   She just -- CHANGED it.   the whole thing, the name, the theme, everything.   As she said, if something is wrong, you fix it.   Same with LGBQT+, she doesn't care who you love, how you live your life (as long as you don't harm others).   She's going to be respectful to you because you are a HUMAN BEING.   She just tries to do the RIGHT thing and doesn't worry about what label to put on it.  

You're 100% right. I love this about Dolly. I think too many people get caught up in feminist, liberal, conservative, woke, whatever. Dolly focuses on love and kindness. 

• Love 10

For the record, the use of "jaws of life" does not mean anyone's life is in jeopardy, or even that a crash is particularly serious.   It just means that the car door couldn't be opened.  People hear "jaws of life" and freak out, but it's only a matter of physics and the angle of the impact.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, Quof said:

For the record, the use of "jaws of life" does not mean anyone's life is in jeopardy, or even that a crash is particularly serious.   It just means that the car door couldn't be opened.  People hear "jaws of life" and freak out, but it's only a matter of physics and the angle of the impact.  

I just watched a bit of a press conference 1 of the NBC-connected channels was carrying from KNBC in LA about the accident. The Chief of the LA County Fire Department (the department depicted in the 1970’s NBC-TV show Emergency!) said they DID NOT have to use “the jaws of life”, just a pry bar & some other tool I’ve already forgotten the name of to pop the windshield & extricate Tiger; this was said to have been decided between the paramedics involved & their captain. The car he was in was a 2021 Genesis GV80; it has 10 airbags & is an SUV-type. He was driving it during the golf tournament he hosted in the LA-area this past weekend. The front end was pretty well totaled & it was on the driver’s side. Tiger was taken to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, apparently the nearest trauma center.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
  • Useful 7
19 minutes ago, Quof said:

And, per the article linked above:

During a press conference later on Tuesday, the sheriff's department amended their initial statement and said the jaws of life were not used to extricate Woods, but a halligan tool was.

• Useful 4

In other celebrity accident news, Ashley Judd posted an update on her recovery process (for the leg broken in four places with major tissue and nerve damage, following a fall in the Congo): After ten days in a South African hospital, she was transported via air ambulance to a U.S. hospital.  Once the swelling from the tissue damage went down enough, she underwent an 8-hour operation to repair bone and nerve.  She's been able to take her first steps with the aid of a walker.

More information about her update, in which she gave lovely thanks to the South African hospital staff who saved her leg, and to her dad, who - because he's received the COVID vaccination - was able to fly out to be with her, can be found in this article.

• Useful 10
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Quof said:

My father in law was hit from behind with so much force that they needed the jaws of life to get him out of the car.  He was talking to my mother in law on the phone right up until the point where it got to loud and he had to hang up.

5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

More brief news on Tiger’s crash: AOL sent a notification saying it was a 1-car crash.

I'm betting they are checking Tiger's alcohol levels, a 1 car crash always sounds suspicious.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I think she's kind of come around to realizing she's a feminist, whether she likes to use the word or not. In the Guardian two years ago, she said:

I don’t think … I mean, I must be if being a feminist means I’m all for women, yes. But I don’t feel I have to march, hold up a sign or label myself. I think the way I have conducted my life and my business and myself speaks for itself. I don’t think of it as being feminist. It’s not a label I have to put on myself. I’m just all for gals.”

Also, if you haven't listened to it yet, Radiolab Presents: Dolly Parton's America podcast from 2019 is a great listen.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GaT said:

I'm betting they are checking Tiger's alcohol levels, a 1 car crash always sounds suspicious.  

Earlier, they said he may have been driving faster than necessary, but WAS NOT DWI. He’s also recovering from a recent fifth back surgery, they said.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To capitalize a word for emphasis.
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

From what I've read they did not use the Jaws of Life, but a Halligan tool to get the windshield out of the car.    I also read that he has compound leg fractures.     If anyone can come back from this, Tiger can.     

The sheriff said that the speed on the curvy road may have been a factor, it's 45 mph speed limit, and he was going faster.   He's just lucky that neighbors heard the crash, and called for help immediately.     

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

I also heard a report that he WAS wearing his seatbelt & that may have saved his life.

That, and the airbags.

It sounds like he was driving too fast for the road he was on. Reports are he was running late to a photo shoot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Just last week, my brother-in-law collided with a deer on his way to work. Maybe in addition to driving too fast, Tiger swerved to avoid hitting something and lost control of the car.

Edited by catlover79
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

My first reaction was "another unexpected reaction to pain meds" for Tiger.   But I follow a lot of well known individuals on Twitter.   the consensus is that part of that road is really twisty and tricky.   It's easy to have an accident.   So probably just going too fast on an unfamiliar road.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 4