Type keyword(s) to search

Who, What, When, Where?!: Miscellaneous Celebrity News 2.0

Message added by OtterMommy,

Please do not post only non-descriptive links to celebrity news stories.  Some context should be provided for your fellow members. Context may be as simple as a link that describes the story, or a line or two of text. Thanks.

• Start Topic

I'm like thirty eight years late to the party but I'm really pissed off at John Landis and Hollywood today.  I've never heard what happened on The Twilight Zone: The Movie before today. 

I can't believe they released the movie.

I can't believe they didn't at least cut it down to three parts instead of four.

I can't believe that HBO still streams it

I can't believe that Amazon sells it.

I can't believe that Landis got off on the manslaughter charges after running a set that killed a man and two kids in a horrifying way. Especially since he violated child labor laws. And the reports of how he behaved during filming and the trial  Just fuck him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 20

Yeah, that story is horrifying. I agree Landis got off way, WAY too easy. Some people kept trying to paint this as a tragic accident, but no, a lot of what happened on that set could've easily been avoided. 

There was an episode of "Cursed Films" that they showed on AMC last fall (and which I believe is also available to stream on Shudder) about that tragedy. They showed the footage of the helicopter landing in the water. It's very disturbing. 

I know there's been a book written about that tragedy, too. I'm kinda curious to read it. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

They showed the footage of the helicopter landing in the water. It's very disturbing. 

Oh gods, the way a crew member jumps back in horror when he gets to Vic Morrow and one of the kids and sees the condition of their bodies has stayed with me ever since I first saw the footage of the crash and its immediate aftermath.

Oh, wow, that part I didn't see! The clip I saw, from what I can recall, showed Vic and the kids running, and then the helicopter landing in the water followed by a big bright flash. They didn't show the bodies or anything like that.  Just knowing they were under that helicopter as it fell, though...

And those children's parents had to witness that as well, and I seem to recall reading something about how one of the fathers started having Vietnam flashbacks when the explosions were going off. So much trauma, I can't even imagine. 

Edited by Annber03

Tiger Woods Update:

As of the 6:30PM Eastern Time airing of NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, Tiger is reported awake, responsive, & in serious but stable condition at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, after undergoing emergency surgery on both legs which were injured in yesterday’s car crash in the LA area. He had open fractures & needed them fixed with pins, screws & at least 1 rod (so now he’ll trigger the airport metal detectors whenever he flies commercially... LOL). They also said his right leg was crushed in the accident, & they were supposedly worried they’d have to amputate it, but they were able to save it. They said he WOULDN’T face charges in connection with the accident, & reiterated there was NO DUI involved, & the seatbelt (& airbags—I think they mentioned them, anyway) probably saved his life.

• Useful 7
  • Love 12

That's good news about Tiger.    He's so lucky to have survived, and to have his legs repaired.     He won't be clear for a while though, with a danger of infection, or blood clots.       He needs to be around for those adorable children, even if he never plays golf competitively again.       

However, I suspect that in spite of the announcements, that there will still be tabloid garbage, and other reports that claim there's a coverup, and those people will never be convinced.   A CNN sports reporter's first on air comment was pretty nasty, talking about Tiger's past problems.  How inappropriate.   He's catching hell for it too, and he deserves it.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Tiger Woods Update:

As of the 6:30PM Eastern Time airing of NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, Tiger is reported awake, responsive, & in serious but stable condition at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, after undergoing emergency surgery on both legs which were injured in yesterday’s car crash in the LA area. He had open fractures & needed them fixed with pins, screws & at least 1 rod (so now he’ll trigger the airport metal detectors whenever he flies commercially... LOL). They also said his right leg was crushed in the accident, & they were supposedly worried they’d have to amputate it, but they were able to save it. They said he WOULDN’T face charges in connection with the accident, & reiterated there was NO DUI involved, & the seatbelt (& airbags—I think they mentioned them, anyway) probably saved his life.

The statement that was posted on Tiger's Twitter page said he had surgery on his right leg and foot - rod, pins, screws - but it doesn't say anything about his left leg.  I'm not sure if the early report that he suffered injuries to both legs was incorrect, or if it means that whatever injury he suffered to his left leg didn't require surgery.  They opened up incisions along his right leg to relieve pressure which probably will have to be closed with skin grafts.  ESPN is reporting that he injured the talus bone, which connects the bottom of the leg to the top of the foot and is a pivot point for motion.  

He's got a very long road ahead of him.  Hopefully there are no complications along the way.  It's sort of laughable that some sports people are speculating about the length of his recovery and whether (and when) he can play professional golf again.  The first priority should be no complications like infection.  We don't know whether he will need any other surgeries, in addition to the skin grafts.  Only if he successfully gets past all those hurdles can the focus turn to recovering to the point where he can walk again.  Golf is quite a ways down the list.  

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I know there's been a book written about that tragedy, too. I'm kinda curious to read it. 

The name of the book is Outrageous Conduct.  I read it years ago and highly recommend it.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

The statement that was posted on Tiger's Twitter page said he had surgery on his right leg and foot - rod, pins, screws - but it doesn't say anything about his left leg.  I'm not sure if the early report that he suffered injuries to both legs was incorrect, or if it means that whatever injury he suffered to his left leg didn't require surgery.  They opened up incisions along his right leg to relieve pressure which probably will have to be closed with skin grafts.  ESPN is reporting that he injured the talus bone, which connects the bottom of the leg to the top of the foot and is a pivot point for motion.  

He's got a very long road ahead of him.  Hopefully there are no complications along the way.  It's sort of laughable that some sports people are speculating about the length of his recovery and whether (and when) he can play professional golf again.  The first priority should be no complications like infection.  We don't know whether he will need any other surgeries, in addition to the skin grafts.  Only if he successfully gets past all those hurdles can the focus turn to recovering to the point where he can walk again.  Golf is quite a ways down the list.  

Thanks for the added info. I’m with you—let’s get Tiger recovering, back on his feet & walking again (you know he’s probably gonna need a certain amount of rehab for this; especially after his multiple back surgeries, the fifth of which was just in January, apparently) before we worry about whether or not he can still play pro-level golf again.

Apparently Tiger’s SUV had a black box, like you find on turboprop/commuter planes above a certain number of seats & all “mainline” jet aircraft; hopefully it can tell investigators more about why he crashed, other than he wasn’t impaired & apparently was going faster than he should’ve been.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Annber03 said:

It is indeed a gripping read. The book was published in the late 1980s and to my knowledge has never been updated, but it is still well worth reading - especially about the trial.

198022.jpg

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

I think at least part of the reason people are bringing up whether or not Tiger will ever play again has to do with the fact he was, at least unofficially, chasing the record Jack Nicklaus (I believe it was) set for the most major men’s golf championships won by the same person in the course of their career, & it certainly looked like he was on track to tie or beat that record, at least at the beginning of his career. Then he started having back issues requiring surgeries & recovery breaks (so missed tournaments, especially those coveted majors), & his personal issues/“fall from grace” got in the way. Then, when he pretty much unexpectedly won the 2019 Masters, it looked like maybe Tiger was getting back on track to tie or beat Nicklaus’ record. Then his back began giving him problems requiring surgery again, & now this accident.

Not for nothing, but basically the same thing is happening with Serena Williams in the world of women’s tennis: she has to win 1 more major singles title to tie Australia’s Margaret Court for the most won by the same female player in her career, 2 more to beat that record. She’s been unable to win a major women’s singles tennis title since she won the 2017 Women’s Singles title at the Australian Open—a title she won when the general public didn’t know she was then (fairly recently) pregnant with her now 3-year-old daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian, Jr., whose father is Serena’s husband, Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To reword something.
  • Useful 7

I did not know Morrow was Jennifer Jason Leigh's dad. Wow. But of course, given she changed her name, that explains that. How very sad that she never got the chance to reconnect with him the way she'd hoped.

And "callousness" is a perfect way to describe Landis' attitude in the wake of the tragedy, too. I mean, this from that Syfy article:

Landis later wrote a letter to each of the jurors thanking them for positive comments they had made in a post-trial press conference. He also told the L.A. Times of the many job offers he received in the aftermath, as well as "a very nice letter from John Huston" and "a lot of supportive letters from prisoners, including one who had been sent away by D'Agostino." 

Really, dude? But I guess it's easy to get cocky once you go free in a trial like that :/. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I did not know Morrow was Jennifer Jason Leigh's dad.

I didn't, either.

15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And "callousness" is a perfect way to describe Landis' attitude in the wake of the tragedy, too.

Yeah, this is the asshole who had the temerity to say his career might never recover from it.  If only that had been true (I mean, it took a big hit, but the fact remains he's still getting work, even if on smaller stuff, and with all the directors out there, why would you ever pick him, given not just what he did that night, but how he conducted himself afterward?).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
On 2/24/2021 at 11:46 PM, Bastet said:

this is the asshole who had the temerity to say his career might never recover from it.

And raised the piece of shit Max Landis! To clarify even before all the allegations of abuse about him I had several friends working at Sundance and Toronto film festivals back before he had any credits (other than his daddy) and would berate  volunteers  working at screenings and party doors with “do you know who i am” nonsense.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8

Tiger very possibly has that car to thank for his life. It was a brand new loaner from the company that sponsored the golf event, that I had never even heard of. It was packed with safely features.

The whip comes in all-wheel-drive ride by default ... so torque is sent to all four wheels instead of just 2, giving the driver more control on the road. That's assisted with a built-in Electronic Stability Control and Traction Control System.

Perhaps most important is what's featured inside ... namely 10 standard airbags, that essentially turn the car into a pillow in the event of an accident. There's also an extra airbag up front that sits in the center console, between driver and passenger....

Now, as crunched as the GV80 appeared yesterday ... you could argue the structure actually held up pretty well considering the impact. That's not a surprise once you know it uses high-strength steel for the roof, transmission tunnel, front chassis extensions and parts of the rear structure.

I continually forget about Jennifer Jason Leigh and Vic Morrow. I remember seeing the reports on the news and things like Entertainment Tonight. It was pretty horrifying at the time.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Lady Gaga's dog walker shot, two dogs stolen in robbery.

Is there a black market for celebrity dogs? Hope the dog walker makes it, doesn't sound good.

I'm wondering if the perp may have targeted the dogs due to connection to Lady Gaga or did the perp have no idea of who their human was but thought they'd be a valuable commodity to sell.  I say the latter scenario could be more probable due to  the crime taking place in LA and Lady Gaga being in Rome. Regardless, I hope the injured dog walker recovers AND that the two stolen bulldogs are recovered! 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I did not know Morrow was Jennifer Jason Leigh's dad. Wow. But of course, given she changed her name, that explains that. How very sad that she never got the chance to reconnect with him the way she'd hoped.

When I first heard it I immediately saw the resemblance:

61J9bDiOATL._AC_SL1000_.thumb.jpg.4f5616bf5114a9dbd848cb404cf52f0a.jpg

film-still-or-publicity-still-from-rush-jennifer-jason-leigh-1991-mgm-photo-credit-bruce-birmelin-al-e-reference-31527036tha-for-editorial-use-only-PM910M.thumb.jpg.3cf2d126bbd8c27706e8858e24dab671.jpg

As for John Landis, he probably wished he had gone to prison. I heard a story about how he went on set to direct a TV show and one of the crew asked him to sign a book about the TZ tragedy. He tried to explain that the book doesn't tell the facts and the crew guy just went  "Uh huh, can you still sign?" and Landis exploded in anger and left. Another time he went to a screening of PLANET TERROR and during the part where a helicopter was decapitating the heads of zombies, everyone in the audience turned to look at Landis! Nobody will ever let him forget.

• Useful 12
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, biakbiak said:

And raised the piece of shit Max Landis! To clarify even before all the allegations of abuse about him I have several friends working at Sundance and Toronto film festivals back before he had any credits (other than his daddy) and would berate them who volunteers  working at screenings and party doors with “do you know who i am” nonsense.

Too bad that that bad apple didn't fall far enough from that warped tree. More seriously, IMO it IS downright infuriating that that movie got released AND that the senior Mr. Landis didn't go to prison for his callous disregard of basic safety which contributed to three folks needlessly losing their lives in a horrific way!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

As for John Landis, he probably wished he had gone to prison. I heard a story about how he went on set to direct a TV show and one of the crew asked him to sign a book about the TZ tragedy. He tried to explain that the book doesn't tell the facts and the crew guy just went  "Uh huh, can you still sign?" and Landis exploded in anger and left. Another time he went to a screening of PLANET TERROR and during the part where a helicopter was decapitating the heads of zombies, everyone in the audience turned to look at Landis! Nobody will ever let him forget.

As well they shouldn't. Oh, wow.  

Now you show those photos, I see that resemblance ,too. Yeah. 

3 hours ago, catlover79 said:

Wait until you read about his attitudes at the funerals. Unbelievable. 😡

Oh, dear :(.

3 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Lady Gaga's dog walker shot, two dogs stolen in robbery.

Is there a black market for celebrity dogs? Hope the dog walker makes it, doesn't sound good.

Good lord! I'm glad it seems like the dog walker will be okay. Hope he recovers well, and hope they're able to find her dogs and return them safe and sound, too. 

• Love 2

French Bulldogs are very popular, and I've heard of puppies without registration papers selling for over $3,000 each.    So the dogs could have been stolen to be resold, or as an extravagant gift to impress someone.  

I saw the TMZ video, furnished by a neighbor who filmed it on their security camera (not released to media until Lady Gaga's employees, and the police agreed, to help find the perpetrators), and it's heartbreaking.    The robbers pull up next to the person walking the three dogs, they shoot the dog walker, and grab the two dogs, and one dog gets away, and runs to the dog walker.    The screaming of the dog walker is horrible.    Neighbors ran to help, and police were called, but I think the dognapping was the aim.      

Sending my best wishes to the dog walker, and hope the dogs are recovered safely.     Lady Gaga is offering a $500,000 reward in the case.     I believe the no questions asked part refers to getting the dogs, and not asking if the person was involved, followed by a lot of questions from the police.   I'm sure Lady Gaga will never talk to the person who gives the dogs back, but the police sure will, and the reward offer doesn't stop the police from doing their job. 

There had to be three people involved, someone was driving, and the two who shot the dog walker, and grabbed one dog each climbed into the back seat.    They didn't say if there was a front seat passenger also. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I'm glad the dog walker is recovering; that security camera footage of him fighting and screaming for help was chilling (as was hearing the poor dog yelping).  I teared up when the dog left behind ran over to where he was lying on the ground.  I hope first and foremost the dogs are returned safely (she's offering a shit ton more money than they'd get anywhere else, which is the only thing that would lead people who'd do this in the first place to do the "right thing" now), and also that the assholes are caught.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14

Not for nothing, but basically the same thing is happening with Serena Williams in the world of women’s tennis: she has to win 1 more major singles title to tie Australia’s Margaret Court for the most won by the same female player in her career, 2 more to beat that record. She’s been unable to win a major women’s singles tennis title since she won the 2017 Women’s Singles title at the Australian Open—a title she won when the general public didn’t know she was then (fairly recently) pregnant with her now 3-year-old daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian, Jr., whose father is Serena’s husband, Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian.

It seems strange that she wouldn't have broken all the records yet given the length of her career. Is it something like the matches she played with her sister not counting towards this record?

From that article that quotes the Eddie Murphy interview with the parts about John Landis

One of his favorite things was to tell me, “When I worked with Michael Jackson, everyone was afraid of Michael, but I’m the only one who would tell Michael, ‘Fuck you.’ And I’m not afraid to tell you, ‘Fuck you.’” And sure enough, he was always telling me, “Fuck you, Eddie. Everybody at Paramount is afraid of you.”

[...] He came to my trailer later and made this big speech. His voice was trembling. And it all came out: that he didn’t think I was talented, that the only reason he did Coming to America was for money, that he didn’t respect me since I hadn’t gone to his trial and all this bullshit. All this fucked-up shit. Called me ignorant, an asshole.

Hmn... well, that certainly doesn't sound not-racist...

• Love 10

Did Lady Gaga (or a "source close to her," perhaps the person who announced the reward) issue any statement about the poor guy who got shot?  What about a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the persons involved in the crimes, one of which was shooting the dog walker in the chest!  

• Love 7

Former co-worker had a side business raising bulldogs, regular and French. They had a rare, liver colored one go for $30K. Regular puppies sold for a few thousand. I would bet they weren't reporting or under-reporting this income on their taxes because it was in cash.

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

She has literally offered to pay the person who shot her employee $500K

Or she's giving anybody who knows them incentive to turn them in.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, aradia22 said:

It seems strange that she wouldn't have broken all the records yet given the length of her career. Is it something like the matches she played with her sister not counting towards this record?

No, the matches Serena played against Venus counted. But only the Singles matches. If Serena & Venus played Doubles with each other against another pair of women’s tennis players (like in the majors & the last few Olympics), those matches don’t count towards the record involved. And I think Serena may actively be trying to break the record (like she’s actually talked about doing it), it’s not just speculation, wishing & hoping she’ll do it, like it seems when you’re talking about Tiger—whom I’m not sure has ever spoken about his actively chasing the golf record involved, though I think he’s talked about the record in a general sense.

At least part of the reason Serena Williams hasn’t broken the tennis major women’s singles titles record yet is there are only 4 specific tournaments involved which count towards this record each year; not every tournament she plays in counts. Also she’s only been playing in them since 1998 & she has  missed some of these tournaments due to injuries, illnesses, or taking a maternity leave during 3 major tournaments in 2017 after she won her last major, the Australian Open.

The first tournament that counts is the Australian Open, which is usually played in Melbourne for 2 weeks in January but just finished last weekend because of a COVID-related delay. Serena lost in this year’s semifinals.

The French Open, which is usually played in Paris for 2 weeks in late May-early June, but was delayed last year because of COVID, to a 2-week period from the end of September through the beginning of October. Serena lost in the 2nd Round—I think she was injured;

Wimbledon, which is the British tennis major, is usually held in London the 2 weeks in late June-early July practically right after the French Open, usually ending just before, just after, or on the 4th of July. The Brits, in their infinite wisdom, completely canceled the 2020 tournament because of COVID.

Then the usual last tournament that counts towards the record is “our tournament”, the US Open. It’s held at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City. Normally it runs the 2 weeks from the last Monday in August, with the middle weekend over Labor Day Weekend, ending the weekend after that. It actually was held on schedule last year, despite the COVID pandemic. But with the French Open last year moving to late September-early October, because of the COVID pandemic, the US Open became last year’s second of 3 tennis majors held, with Wimbledon taking a break. Serena lost in last year’s semifinals.

These 4 tournaments also make up what’s called the “grand slam” in tennis. Winning all 4 in your career is a big thing—a “career grand slam”, if all 4 aren’t won in a calendar year; but it really only counts as an official grand slam if you win all 4 in the same calendar year. If you win all 4, plus the Olympics tennis tournament in an Olympic year, that’s been given the name the “golden slam”, because of the added Olympic gold medal.

Serena has a career (non-calendar year) grand slam plus an Olympic gold medal in women’s tennis singles from the London Olympics.

As Doubles partners, Venus & Serena also have a career grand slam, plus 3 gold medals in women’s tennis doubles, from the Sydney, Beijing & London Olympics. Venus also has a career grand slam plus an Olympic gold medal in women’s singles from the Sydney Olympics.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To reword something.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, GaT said:

Or she's giving anybody who knows them incentive to turn them in.

The exact quote from the link - 

"The source said the singer "is offering half-a-million dollars to anyone who has her two dogs, no questions asked. Anyone who has the dogs can use this email, KojiandGustav@gmail.com to retrieve the reward."

51 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The exact quote from the link - 

"The source said the singer "is offering half-a-million dollars to anyone who has her two dogs, no questions asked. Anyone who has the dogs can use this email, KojiandGustav@gmail.com to retrieve the reward."

Has she said a word about the dog walker?  Did she at least send thoughts and prayers to him?

• Love 3
22 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I wondered why Landis got Coming to America.  That's the only major thing he did after the accident.  

And he treated Eddie like shit.  What a clueless f.  Landis was pissed as Eddie didn't go to support him during his trial???

Eddie took a lot before he threatened Landis with an ass whipping.  He had a tremendous amount of patience, but in the end he had to threaten Landis with a serious ass beating.   But that was the only way to get Landis under control.  He was out of control on that set.

Landis should have gone to jail.  And he should never have had any opportunity to work in Hollywood again.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Has she said a word about the dog walker?  Did she at least send thoughts and prayers to him?

For all we know she's paying all his medical bills - I'm sure she's smart enough (or has people around her smart enough) to make sure she doesn't come off looking selfish even if it takes a few days to hit the news.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4