Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E12: Now It's About Winning

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

With the $1 million prize on the line, the final 3 teams travel to New Orleans where, after visiting 11 countries, 17 cities, and travelling more than 33,000 miles, one team will be crowned the winners.

• Love 1

I feel like must have it taken Beardo and Hung *a lot* longer to find the baby than the editing made it look.

But beyond the finding the baby faster was there really any way to make up ground in the leg? I guess if they'd been closer they could have outrun each other pushing the ball or seen one of them have to redo the puzzle and get theirs right the first time but it seemed pretty rote otherwise.

Edit: having to parade with the band at parade speed must've been torture, because that's really where they could have outrun each other.

Edited by RockShrimp
  • Love 10

That really was an uneventful ending. By 8:45 I knew it was over before it ended. It wasn’t even Will & James fault this time. After the baby task it was all she wrote. After, that none of the 3 were in the same shot. I did find it interesting that confessionals were in voice only. I don’t think that’s ever been done. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 8

They weren’t my team (in our family we have to pick teams the beginning of episode one, with very little insight- I had the beards), but I can’t really hate on a super fan winning. I’ve watched since season one and applied a few times too. It feels really good to see a fellow super fan win!

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, chaifan said:

Needle in a haystack challenges do not belong in the finale.  There was nothing in this leg that required skill or talent or knowledge or stamina or anything other than pure luck.  Beads - nothing the racers could do to control how fast they got 50 beads.  Bridge - if even Hung with her "short T Rex arms" got it on the first try, it obviously was set up pretty easy.  Puzzle balls - no one seemed to have to go more than 10 feet to find the trunk, and as I mentioned in the live thread - it's a freaking globe!  A 10 year old could put together a globe puzzle. 

Yawn. 

TAR, you can do better.  Sack whoever was in charge of this leg. 

I've eaten and made dozens of King cakes;  they should have flipped the cakes over and felt the bottoms.  Would have been faster and less messy.

If it hadn't been in NOLA, I don't think I would have bothered to watch.  Was it really awful of me to hope Will would get sick from the beignets and the team get passed by the other two teams?  Alas, my hope was dashed.   I would hare preferred watching them make a  King cake or beignets to this.

I was surprised that the brothers didn't tell the taxi cab driver to take them to the park entrance.  I always cringe when they have to go to a park because most parks have more than one way to get in. 

They should also have gone with Mardi Gras colors for the beads.  Getting just 2 colors seemed to easy, and I don't think the judge bothered to count them unless that was edited out. 

The only success this episode had was making me a tad homesick for NOLA.  I may have to make beignets for breakfast Saturday.

• Love 13

I guess I should be relieved that I have AT&T U-verse, and they’re in a fight with the owner of the local CBS affiliate. So I missed this one. I still can’t stand James; but congrats to Will — I guess this makes up for coming in 2nd on that season of America’s Next Top Model. 

• LOL 2

Ugh. This was the weakest final challenges. Gathering beaded necklaces? Needle in a haystack challenge? And assembling a globe? Did the show ran out of ideas to test them? Of course the challenges were so weak since they weren't pushed that hard during the season thanks to their alliance.

Also what a waste of cake. Why couldn't they just assemble and design a dozen King cake in the same design. And how is eating three donuts a torture? Is it that fried/rich?

And the globe challenge was so pointless. If the globe was assembled to all the places they went to then maybe that would be a real challenge.

I had no vested interests in any of the teams especially at how stupid Hung/Chee were willing to go along with this alliance. By avoiding yielding/u-turning Will/James or the Beard Bros in the past they were guaranteed to lose. Either of those teams would decimate them.

And for so-called confessed "superfans" then why did Will/James use Big Brother/Survivor tactics? If they supposedly love the show so much why did they disrespected everything the show is about with Survivor tactics?

• Love 13

I still don’t know which is Will and which is James.  Not a fan. But when the one was doing the King cake challenge, I knew that, however tempting, he should not have eaten any of the cake.  It’s rich and filling, and loading up before having to eat beignets was a mistake.  Too bad it wasn’t a fatal mistake.  I wanted Hung & Chee to get ahead!

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
14 minutes ago, redfish said:

Also what a waste of cake. Why couldn't they just assemble and design a dozen King cake in the same design. And how is eating three donuts a torture? Is it that fried/rich?

Okay, they are fried and then generously powdered with confectioner's sugar.  They are puffy with air inside so they aren't heavy like regular donuts.  They are best hot.  Once they cool off, I find them much harder to eat plus they don't taste as good.  Also they are served with cafe au lait or chocolate milk.  I think part of Will's problems was that he had eaten bits of the king cakes so he was probably not hungry for anything else that was so sweet.  I can see how he would feel ill trying to eat 3 of them. 

I agree that they should have had to make either beignets or a king cake.  I would like to have seen them trying to get beignets right on the first attempt.

• Love 7

Happy 2020, everyone!

I admit that by the time every season ends, even if I'm not a huge fan of the eventual winners, something about the finale makes me a little teary. This year, paging Johnson & Johnson, cuz there were No More Tears.

Those tasks were just mind-numbingly lame. No challenges, no real physicality or mental hurdles. I sure hope they revamp the whole show post-COVID, as we - and Phil - deserve better than this pablum.

• LOL 2
  • Love 18
30 minutes ago, redfish said:

Will loves cake! Plus he was eating the King cake as he was searching for the baby.  Beignets on top of that and they probably hadn't eaten since the plane ride.  I was happy that we didn't see him hurl in the shop! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I didn't have a problem with any of the racers this season, and don't mind Will and James winning, but I have to agree that the set up of the race—and of the final leg in particular—has been pretty poor this season. It seems like the only place where Hung/Chee and Riley/Maddison could have made up time on Will/James was in that king cake challenge, and neither one did. I think the teams all took about the same amount of time at the bridge and with the globe. And once again, the teams never needed to figure out their own route between locations, except for Riley/Maddison, because their cab driver got lost.

But seriously, why couldn't the teams have been given their own cars to drive and told to figure out for themselves how to get places on this leg? In addition to giving teams the chance to get lost (or not) on their own, it would also have given them a chance to gain or lose time after the beignets and the globe challenge, since they would have needed to run back to their cars.

For those who hated the alliance, Riley and Maddison looked upset when they came in third, so I suspect they were already regretting their participation in it on the mat. Hung and Chee also seemed a bit muted. I don't think either team would advise future racers to do as they did.

• Love 13

For those who hated the alliance, Riley and Maddison looked upset when they came in third, so I suspect they were already regretting their participation in it on the mat. Hung and Chee also seemed a bit muted. I don't think either team would advise future racers to do as they did.

They shouldn't have agreed to an alliance with Will/James at all. They should have realized that Will/James are the strongest competitors and they used the alliance to throw attention away from them. They got played and that's their own fault. While everyone including Hung/Chee & Beard Bros may have been playing The Amazing Race, Will/James were playing Survivor and boo to that.

• Love 16
12 minutes ago, Hera said:

But seriously, why couldn't the teams have been given their own cars to drive and told to figure out for themselves how to get places on this leg?

Imagine people driving themselves in a race for a million dollars. It will never be allowed to happen.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Will and James couldn't even produce a real tear after the proposal. My 7 year old niece is a better fake crier than these two phonies. 

Beard Bros absolutely bombing the finale after sending home the weakest team was too perfect.

• LOL 14
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Needle in a haystack challenges do not belong in the finale.  There was nothing in this leg that required skill or talent or knowledge or stamina or anything other than pure luck.  Beads - nothing the racers could do to control how fast they got 50 beads.  Bridge - if even Hung with her "short T Rex arms" got it on the first try, it obviously was set up pretty easy.  Puzzle balls - no one seemed to have to go more than 10 feet to find the trunk, and as I mentioned in the live thread - it's a freaking globe!  A 10 year old could put together a globe puzzle. 

Yawn. 

TAR, you can do better.  Sack whoever was in charge of this leg. 

I couldn't believe they gave them all the pieces need in one trunk. How about having pieces randomly scattered through multiple trunks, so it would be a challenge to find all the pieces needed? Putting together the puzzle didn't seem all that hard, particularly for the final challenge which should be a killer.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 19

I had a bit of an epiphany during the Bourbon Street Bead Beat challenge. Will and James are much more tolerable when they're almost inaudible.

If they had been on mute since the first episode I would have enjoyed the season more. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 5

Love New Orleans! I’ll try forgetting these guys won there. I’m afraid Phil is as disappointed as we are, what with the alliance. Again, they knew this wasn’t their best effort.

Edited by buttersister
Words that sound alike aren’t spelled alike
  • Love 3

They way they got there might suck, but Will and James won because they completed the challenges the fastest. Happy the Beard Bros wound up in third. And Hung and Chee get what, $50,000 for second place? Everybody can probably use the money more now than 2 years ago.

• Love 9

Well, TAR32 is over. I don't think I'd feel so sour if the three teams left at the end didn't have to compare notes through most of the race. This is still The Amazing Race, and that makes it better than a lot of reality TV. Sadly, we don't know when we'll get TAR33. I still insist TAR32 would still be on the proverbial shelf if Survivor was able to be filmed safely, even if all of the contestants were members of the Hantz family.

2 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Well, a horrific season deserves horrific winners I guess.

1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

Worst. Season. Ever!

(OK, maybe it’s neck and neck with the Family edition.)

33 minutes ago, preeya said:

WORST SEASON EVER!

Was it that bad? I've seen worse. I've seen a woman win $500K after quitting about 500,000 times in the last few legs. I've seen a pair of tools luck into a win because one of the other pair of tools fucked up the final Roadblock. I've seen a team luck into a win as a couple, even though they were anything but. I've seen the only thing separating an insufferable couple from a win was deep dish pizza.

DEEP. DISH. PIZZA. And we got to see Kris & Jon have one final tender moment to drive the nail all the way into the ear.

Yeah, Will & James were camera hogs. Yeah, they probably didn't have to work as hard as past winning teams. And yes, the Mine Five undermined the premise of the series. But this is TAR. We had exciting locations. We had two great new formats in Mega Leg and City Sprint. We didn't have the damn Face-to-Face. And we had Phil. The guy who can dance n Bourbon Street. The man who could run in high heels. The hardest-working mofo in reality TV. Yeah, the latest Survivor was great, but it was preceded by some schmuck who got voted out winning $1 million, followed by an asshole bad-touching others and making every week A Very Special Episode.

At least we'll have Tough as Nails. And maybe we'll get a new season sooner rather than later.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 15

My memory's not what it used to be, so perhaps other things happened in 2020 that I don't remember. But right now, it feels like TAR's decline and its outcome was the worst thing ever in 2020?

Will and James deserve each other. #Blessed

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I've seen the only thing separating an insufferable couple from a win was deep dish pizza.

DEEP. DISH. PIZZA.

As Will and James were whining about eating just 6 beignet, I remember the pizza. While Will was stuffing his face during the first part of the roadblock with King Cake, James could have literally suck it up. 6 isn't much especially when you can drink it down with water if it was too dry.

• Love 2

The tasks were interesting, but not for a finale. The final challenge should have been way more difficult. There was zero opportunity to catch up.

Did Karim screw over the brothers by taking them the wrong way to the park?  They were never in the race at all tonight.

I knew right away that Will and James won because they seemed to be getting most of the voiceover commentary which was taped post-race.  Plus most of the scenes right before commercials seemed to end dramatically on them.

I really hope this isn’t the final TAR ever.

2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Worst. Season. Ever!

(OK, maybe it’s neck and neck with the Family edition.)

At least the family edition gave us good winners with the Linzes.  They were brothers and a sister that really worked well with and appreciated each other.  And seemed like all around nice people.

• Love 3

It’s been a long to see a Final 3 team such as Riley & Madison look that upset. They couldn’t hide it or fake it. They were pissed. I don’t know if it was that they came in 3rd, the bad cab driver or everything together. I had them coming in behind Will & James. They were never in the race after the cake baby. After that, they were never seen (the same for Hung & Chee) in a two or three shot with the o Will and James. I didn’t want the boyfriends to win but they basically breezed heir way in this final leg. It was all rather boring and uneventful. 

• Love 4

The one team I didn't want to win 😥 But you know, Riley & Madison and Hung & Chee have no one to blame but themselves. They decided to form an alliance with Will & James instead of Riley & Madison Gary & DeAngelo, or not make an alliance at all at the music challenge, they gave them the chance to win.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 9

The worst people in this season won.

That cake thing won it for them.  The other two guys went through the whole rack.

I guess their familiarity with NO helped including the size of the baby.

We had to wait two years and through most of 2020 to see two of the most horrible people in series history win?

Ugh, indeed.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 10
46 minutes ago, aghst said:

The worst people in this season won.

. . .

We had to wait two years and through most of 2020 to see two of the most horrible people in series history win?

The former might be true. The latter? I can't agree with that at all. Yes, Will & James probably wouldn't have won if the Beards didn't get a bum cabbie, and they did come off as annoying and needy for attention. But I've seen far worse on this show.

I think of it this way: TAR30 gave CBS the finale they wanted. TAR31 gave us fans the finale we wanted. TAR32 . . . eh.

I'm not sounding like I got Stockholder's Stockholm Syndrome, do I? The Mine Five killed off a lot of suspense and fun, but it's still TAR.

• Love 3