Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Forty: Part One/S05.E02: Forty: Part Two

Message added by Lady Calypso

Keep the discussions about this episode. There are other topics you can move to if the discussion is straying from the events of the episode itself. 

• Start Topic

34 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Line of the night was Randall saying of course he knew who Maddison was she was the only friend in the whole family!

Well, he does have Malick.

2 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Oh poor, poor Randall. Could have been raised by drug addicts in a tenement but instead was raised by a loving family who seemed to have enough money and a mother who seemed more interested in the baby she adopted than her two surviving children, went to private school, went to college and has lots of money. He’s so oppressed. 

image.thumb.png.b79b0a077cdf56daeeef2167b106f8d5.pngimage.png.1d3159484dce8405f485c78ae12ed4f4.png

• LOL 3
  • Love 15
40 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

So, we're supposed to believe that super rich movie star Kevin Pearson uses Pert (not even Pert Plus!) shampoo and not some fancy salon product?  

He was disgusted by it - it was the shampoo that was at the cabin and he was grossed out looking at it. 

My husband's family has a cabin in the Poconos (where this cabin is located) and I completely identify with this. I swear there is Irish spring soap that's been there since 1985. We bring our own toiletries but the stuff that's just always been there has...always been there. That's why he said that thing about "I like rustic life but..." when he noticed that Madison was upset and the conversation changed pace to discuss her fall. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

TIU really stabbed me in the heart using John Prine’s last song (“I Remember Everything”) towards the end of the second episode. I still feel so much sadness about his death, but it was an excellent and appropriate choice for this episode, both because of the topic of the song and the context of his passing.

• Love 13

Instead of the possibility of Randall’s birth mother being alive, I’d rather see a storyline where Kyle Is still alive.  (NOT that I’m thrilled with bringing any aforementioned family members to the forefront.)  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I don't know if Laurel is still alive 40 years later, but I am also 100% certain that Randall's new black therapist is going to be somehow related to her. Either spouse or child. Not the actual therapist, because there will be a bunch of episodes where the show will milk it before we see the therapist meeting/talking about Laurel after having a session with Randall.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Monibella said:

Randall have sex with your Sexy Ass wife who is offering!  Geez this show.  If my husband told me “not now” after literally throwing myself at him?!?  I think Randall might have “The Corona”’.

Mental health issues can have a negative effect on libido. I can understand it being difficult to have an erection when you are depressed.

• Love 18

Seems like Randall’s next therapist and his birth mother are related some way. Bringing her back to life without a connection feels too random in a show that’s kinda passed on random.

Hats off to the writers and SKB for showing Randall finally having enough. It feels like every time it came up before or was hinted at, Jack or Rebecca would over compensate and Randall would shove it back down. Dealing with the real world, they presented conversations, long overdue, that many people are having. It was insightful and the beginning, I hope, of real character growth. Randall’s girl dad comments were just like him and will totally be Kevin. It felt real when he stopped himself and got going back to his family. Not because he was being mean to Kevin, but kind to himself.

• Love 21

The phrase, oh for fucks sake, came to mind on the last minute reveal.  Jesus.  See you at mid season finale to see how this plays out...don’t need the rest.  Honestly, I knew it was a crapshoot to watch this, but was so hoping for something good as I’m starved for new tv, but that twist? No thank you. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

And of course Randall was the one who realized about Rebecca’s medication.

I thought for sure Randall was gonna be hella pissed at Miguel for letting her take the Benadryl.  I was shocked that he didn't rake Miguel over the coals.  

• Love 18
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

I was also irritated with the on-call OBGYN that dealt with Madison in the first hour. According to Kevin they were "in the middle of nowhere," but there's a woman in your exam room that is expecting twins, you tell her you can only hear one heartbeat, then you leave (presumably to get another doctor) and when you come back and do hear two heartbeats the only thing you say is "well, that was unesecarily exciting"?

Yeah, I'm glad that Kevin/Madison won't be going back to that doctor.  

I agree.  That totally pissed me off.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Plot twist, Laurel is rescued, begins recovery in rehab and is Randall’s future therapist.

I had the same thought 

3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I am too lazy to go back and rewatch the pilot, but I swear when Randall met William he referred to his PI tracking down that his birth mother must have been a woman who died from a drug overdose the day he was left at the fire station.  So there were actual records of a dead woman, it wasn't just WiIlliam's word. I guess I should reserve judgement until they explain it, but it still feels like a retcon.

found him. My father.

What? When?

I, uh... I hired a guy. It cost about 1,500 bucks. Now, I paid for it on the Amex. You're gonna see it. It's the personal Amex, not the business Amex.

I know, I don't care about the Amex.

I know.

So you're gonna...

No.

Why not?

Because she was a crack addict who died during childbirth, and he was the guy who left me at a fire station, probably because he couldn't think of anything more cliché.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nilyank said:

I don't know if Laurel is still alive 40 years later, but I am also 100% certain that Randall's new black therapist is going to be somehow related to her. Either spouse or child. Not the actual therapist, because there will be a bunch of episodes where the show will milk it before we see the therapist meeting/talking about Laurel after having a session with Randall.

YUP! As soon as it ended, I said "his therapist is going to be his bio-mom." But that's too easy for this show. Laurel will survive, have another son (or daughter), and the new therapist will turn out to be Randall's half-sibling.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
54 minutes ago, debraran said:

I see that, I work in a medical field, but people see them and talk to their kids about why someone is in a wheel chair etc. I do know they aren't given respect other than many parking spots when it comes to other accessibility. I had to fight for over a year for an automatic door for our patients.  Many don't think about chairs, another fight I lost, no arms to help people up, wider chairs, etc. But I keep trying.

all I am saying is you can discuss the lived experience of your mixed race children without belittling the lived experience of disabled people especially when you are admitting here that your experience of disabled people.  In no way, at all, am I saying even a little bit that being disabled is the same as being black or mixed race in America.  I am certainly not saying that being disabled is worse than being black or mixed race in America.  But here you have just said that it took you literal years to convince medical professionals that disabled people have a right to be able to physically access the building in which they receive medical care.   That's what you've just said here.   So maybe I'm saying in your very real and important advocacy for your mixed race children you don't lessen the very real struggles of others.   

• Love 22

I totally understand Randall not wanting to have a conversation about race with Kate in that moment, and not wanting to worry about upsetting her. But I also felt it wasn't fair of him to blame her for not being aware of police brutality against Black people when they were all children growing up. She is aware now, and she wants to support him as much as she can. He could have just told her he wasn't ready to talk at the time, but would reach out later when he's ready.

As far as current events being dealt with in the show, I agree that it's depressing, but I would also feel strange about watching a show set in the present day that didn't acknowledge the events at all. It was jarring to watch scenes filmed last season with Rebecca eating at a restaurant and the police officers going inside someone's home without masks on. I do feel that having the drug trial canceled because of the pandemic was a copout. I really wanted Rebecca to make the decision on her own terms that she wasn't going to do it despite Randall's disgusting guilt trip last season.

I'm really disappointed with the "twist" at the end. Total soap opera territory.

6 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I was also irritated with the on-call OBGYN that dealt with Madison in the first hour. According to Kevin they were "in the middle of nowhere," but there's a woman in your exam room that is expecting twins, you tell her you can only hear one heartbeat, then you leave (presumably to get another doctor) and when you come back and do hear two heartbeats the only thing you say is "well, that was unesecarily exciting"?

Yeah, I'm glad that Kevin/Madison won't be going back to that doctor.  

The doctor said she only saw one heartbeat on the abdominal ultrasound, but that she needed to do a vaginal ultrasound to confirm. Then she went to get the equipment for the vaginal ultrasound, came back, performed the ultrasound, and confirmed that there were two heartbeats. I don't think she did anything wrong. One thing that wasn't mentioned is that a woman needs to have a full bladder for a vaginal ultrasound, so the doctor probably gave Madison time to chug some water and wait for her bladder to fill up. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 19

I remember posters speculating in the past that Randall's bio mother was still alive, so kudos for that!  It remains to be seen why Laurel never found or (AFAWK) tried to find William and her baby after that.  Very sad. 

I had to force myself to stay awake to the end, knowing the season premiere always ends with a gut punch.

This is a new Randall.  Rather than the one we've known who rushes in to fix everyone's problems (while internalizing the anxiety), this Randall has decided to let his siblings go, building a wall to shut everyone out except Beth and the girls.  (But even they see him becoming distant.)  Sterling Brown was superb.  That tear that fell while Randall talked to Kate hurt my heart. 

I'm not sure I like the show using real life current events as a backdrop or preaching to us using the voices of fictional characters.  I get enough of the news during the day and would rather the awful state of the world not creep into my nighttime tv entertainment.  (Not to say the issues aren't important.  I don't mean to sound dismissive.  I hope the writers give us a balance of real life crises and family drama.)

I love Miguel and Beth.  Toby and Madison are growing on me.  Here's to the Outsiders!

7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

With Rndall's mom being in so much pain post birth I thought the twist was going to be another twin.   

Next season.  (Please, don't give them any ideas!)

• LOL 2
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

I got approximately seven minutes into this and have decided I'm out.  I've been living in this pandemic just like the rest of the real world for over seven months; I live in LA, which has not been able to get a handle on COVID because too many people who live in this city are either idiotic or gallingly self-centered or both; I've been mostly isolated because of my current distrust of most public spaces and the idiotic, self-centered people, who can't even manage to wear a mask properly when a grocery store or whatever requires it, frequenting them; I have participated in exactly three small social gatherings since March because my friends and I are trying to be cautious and responsible; I won't allow anyone else into my apartment out of an abundance of caution; and it all totally, totally, totally, completely sucks.  I'm surrounded by COVID all. the. time.  Just like everyone else.  I do not want to see it reflected in a television show I watch for entertainment and escape, not while I'm living in it.  Also, I just can't deal with Randall anymore.  When I saw his smug, martyred face, I just wanted to punch it so many times, and I don't want to experience those feelings either.  So, I'm out.

Omg I died laughing at your last sentence! You put everything I'm thinking into words! 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Too many monologues and a little to political in my opinion.

Does Kate work?  Adoption is expensive.  How do they have money?  

I don't understand why William couldn't work.  I had a lazy brother (now passed) and even he got a job at a gas station.  Why did all that responsibility fall to Randall's biomom?

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Bulldog said:

So, we're supposed to believe that super rich movie star Kevin Pearson uses Pert (not even Pert Plus!) shampoo and not some fancy salon product?  

No, that just showed what an OLD bottle of shampoo it was...it's been at the cabin forever. 

• Love 13
9 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Randall is still a sanctimonious prick. Good to know some things never change. How do people stand him? Seriously. He’s just unbearable. I have literally no sympathy for him. Are we in for a fifth season of him being coddled by everyone in nauseating monologues?

Agreed. I can't stand Kate but even Randall has surpassed my dislike for Kate.

8 hours ago, CSunshine76 said:

That ending was some bullshit. Has this show jumped the shark? I mean come on.

Agreed. It's not a soap opera. It's not even a night time soap opera.  And if Laurel was alive she would have looked for William and/or Randall. So all those years she didn't bother to find her son? Or did she pull a William and saw the big 3 bikes outside and decided he's better off with the nice family who can give him the big window with the light coming in? I think Laurel should have just stayed dead.

8 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Plot twist, Laurel is rescued, begins recovery in rehab and is Randall’s future therapist.

I thought of that then figured at her age - nah. It will most likely be Randall's half sibling.  Please don't do this show.

Sadly we have to wait 2 weeks (elections) to see what happens and it's not like they are going to show us more next episode.  Also think that they will pull a fast one with Kate & Toby adopting.  The mom will probably change her mind at the last minute and they won't adopt that kid but will adopt another one immediately.

I wonder if show writers remember that family with the farm they showed in the last couple episodes.

Edited by greekmom
  • Love 11

We should start a poll about how Randall's next therapist is going to be related to him. My money's on half-sibling, haven't made up my mind whether brother or sister. Probably married to Kyle or a child of Nicky's.

I was equally annoyed by Randall and felt for him - but I guess that's how it should be. The only bit a did not like was that he had been the one to figure out the problem with Rebecca's anti-histamines. It was like the writers holding up a sign reading 'Yeah, we know he's a sanctimonious prick - but look, he's a useful sanctimonious prick.' Totally unnecessary - we know! And if you feel like that's really a point you need to make, could you do it without making everyone else looking like an idiot? 

Lots of great conversations: Randall and Malik, Toby and Miguel, Randall and Kate, Beth and Randall.

I'm also surprised how much I like Kevin and Madison together. Kate dealing with both revelations was great, she's really grown. And I liked the little reminder that Kevin is a much beloved uncle. I wish Randall had pointed that out when Kevin told him about his concerns about raising a daughter - but these two still suffer from an unhealthy dose of testosterone poisoning. Although they made some progress so there's that.

Edited by MissLucas
testosterone poisoning is not healthy
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I totally understand Randall not wanting to have a conversation about race with Kate in that moment, and not wanting to worry about upsetting her. But I also felt it wasn't fair of him to blame her for not being aware of police brutality against Black people when they were all children growing up. She is aware now, and she wants to support him as much as she can. He could have just told her he wasn't ready to talk at the time, but would reach out later when he's ready.

I can *partially* understand Kate not being aware when she was a child; although there were certainly some flashbulb moments when they were coming of age (like Rodney King, the LA Riots, OJ trial, etc.) that should have prompted discussions in their home. I don’t put the blame fully on Kate for her lack of awareness, of course- Jack and Rebecca clearly didn’t do an adequate job fostering these conversations and creating space for Randall to be heard in this context.

That all said, Randall seemed to be saying this was the first time Kate had brought it up with him EVER. It took George Floyd and the protests right now for her to broach this with her brother?  Since Trayvon Martin was murdered eight years ago, there has been growing awareness surrounding these issues*. Did she not think of Randall at all as images of brutality against Black people have played on the news? Or when people took to the streets before and begged others to pay attention to the racial inequities in our society? Like, seriously... she didn’t think to reach out to brother at all before this? I often find Randall sanctimonious and overwrought, but he wasn’t in this discussion. 

*among white people... I’m not saying conversations about police brutality and systemic racism weren’t happening before Trayvon because they certainly were. Trayvon’s death just seemed to be a moment where more white people started to pay attention, although apparently not Kate.

Edited by MrsWitter
  • Love 24

Despite Randall being Randall, I thought the present day scenes were good.  They looped in COVID (just to make it realistic) and the Kevin storyline with Madison was well done.  Some how I even enjoyed the scenes with Kate and Toby.  However, if they couldn't find 2 hours of non-flashback material they should have had a 1 hour return instead of 2.  Not only did the scenes from 40 years ago break up the momentum of the other storylines, they covered stuff we have scene over and over again.  Can they please just let it go?

On a side note, we had also seen the "Rebecca is confused in the Asian restaurant" scene before.  Was that a flash forward when they showed it the first time? It had to have been since the restaurant workers would have been wearing masks if it was filmed today.

Edited by Dminches
  • Love 7