Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E03: Sleigh the Runway

• Start Topic

The designers are awakened by a surprise visitor; the designers are challenged to show their holiday spirit in the perfect party dress; channeling their own holiday memories, the designers must transform a winter wonderland into a wearable wonder.

Original air date: December 19, 2019

I'm having flashbacks to the early seasons when many of the top and bottom looks are nowhere near what i would have picked.

Victoria's dress looked like a craft project (substitute macaroni for the cranberries). The red petal dress was a mess. I actually liked Alan's dress.

BTW that plaid top was to die for but the bottom screamed 1970's used car lot.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, WaltersHair said:

Victoria's dress looked like a craft project (substitute macaroni for the cranberries). The red petal dress was a mess. I actually liked Alan's dress.

Alan's dress with a metallic sandal would have been better. And instead of a bikini top, he should have done a one piece dress. He could flow the silver leaves up one side of the dress and use the ribbon for the other. (Well, easy to say... hard to do!) But that was one classy exit, so good for you Alan! Go and learn some more! You're adorable!

And at best Victoria should have been waved through. I liked Dayoung's  (is that right?) look very much and would have put hers in the top instead of Victoria's saggy baggy dress.

I do think the cranberries could have been used to great affect across the shoulders, but Victoria's was so droopy and dumpy looking.

• Love 17

I have to agree with Mr. white coat (name?) about the unconventional challenge, it’s not designing, it’s arts and crafts. Never my favorite challenge. However, some of the designs were really pretty. 
I wish Nancy had not been safe, I wanted her to explain how she used whatever it was she was smashing up.
Sergio is so smug but I liked his design and it was fun with those bells. 
Alan was obsessed with boobs. Not surprised he got the boot, he didn’t listen to Christian and he was very immature and didn’t seem to take this competition seriously. 

• Love 13

I can't stand Sergio but he totally deserved the win.  Making that dress out of wrapping paper and a basket was unbelievable.

I knew little sprite Alan would not last long.

It looks like next week they have to make menswear?  Wow!!

• Love 16

So is there any rule about only using what was bought at Mood (or where ever they are shopping)?  Asking because Sergio talked to some other contestant and they mentioned getting the bells from something in their apartment.

I liked his dress but not his “I’m the best” attitude.  I also liked Alan’s and will miss him in the workroom.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Nancy with the hammering was driving everyone nuts...me and the Mindthinkr kitties too. 

That was my classroom yesterday. I was teaching a student how to put in grommets and made her practice a bunch. Other students were so not happy—two ended up not putting eyelets in their projects as they couldn’t take any more of that sound. 

I was pleasantly  surprised with many of the final looks. This is what happens when you give contestants 2 days to design.

• Love 16

Regarding the bottom three. Brittany‘s was horrible I know she’s a front brother so they passed her through. Ryan’s was ridiculously sure he could’ve added a length at least bad taste. The poncho boy Alan at least was fun.  I would’ve preferred him saved. I didn’t really see any value in Ryan.

I think Victoria should not have been in the top. I don’t know what they’re trying to do selling her to us. I wondered what the oldest contestants dress was made out of since she made so much noise cracking up stuff.  I like the plaid top that was passed through. I also like Shavi’s outfit, but Sergio’s was very elegant so didn’t bother me either one winning.

Edited by Kira53
Spelling
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Sergio won because of his impeccable tailoring and his sewing, not gluing, of wrapping paper. But pride goeth before a fall, so he will not win PR. 

I hope not. He's so smug I can't stand him.  Unfortunately he seems talented (not that I'm any judge at all and usually like stuff that's in the bottom!).

What's with all the distracting bags they keep sending out?

The hostess has the chutzpah to call a dress too short?  She couldn't even sit down properly or she would have flashed everyone.

Edited by Brookside
  • LOL 13
  • Love 7

Ugh, after a promising start last season I feel like we’re 100% back to the bad old days of PR.  The judging is clearly once again now often  based on things other than merit, the editing is now once again “look how incredibly much time we’re spending on this one contestant, here’s their family backstory, won’t you be surprised when they lose” and worst of all they’re slowly slipping back into the “show a contestant’s look then immediately cut to a snippy competitor saying something mean about them” habit.

I still like Christian’s energy but when we’re having to pretend that that red puffy flower dress is worthy of all those ooos and ahhhs (one of the judges said it’s couture and my husband shot back “couture 80s prom night maybe”) or pretend that Alan’s so-so look was worse than those two other absolute abominations... yeah, this is the version of PR I came to despise.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Thumper said:

So is there any rule about only using what was bought at Mood (or where ever they are shopping)?  Asking because Sergio talked to some other contestant and they mentioned getting the bells from something in their apartment.

The bells were on the Christmas stockings with their names on them that were part of the decor brought in for the challenge theme.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5

This season is going to be a lot less fun without Alan's narration. I wonder if he kept those boots?

That's the second time Victoria has guessed she's on top when I certainly wouldn't have [well, maybe this week when there were three unmitigated disasters up there as well]. 

I'm repeatedly surprised whenever I see little Sally Draper all grown up.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12

Sergio’s arrogance is annoying but at least he backs it up with talent and seems like a nice guy otherwise.    I don’t care how talented Delvin is, he is a whiner.   There is always an unconventional materials challenge.  Suck it up.  

• Love 20
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nancy's dress looked like a real dress but the tree skirt cape needed to be changed more for me. The light up bag was a fun idea. But what the hell was on that dress that required all that hammering?

I was also looking at it to see what needed to be hammered/flattened and failed to also see why she needed to make all the noise. 

I like Christian, but he sure gave a lot of side eyes and snarky looks tonight. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, Thumper said:

I was wondering this too.  I know the bells came off stockings from the apartment, BUT Sergio didn’t get them in the initial mad dash for materials.  He must’ve pulled them off AFTER he was given the idea by another designer the next day.  If all the designers had the ability to go for additional materials from the apartment AFTER the first grab, then why wouldn’t Brittany take the same opportunity to get more things?  Or the guy with the gold and white too short dress?  Or any of the others? Were the stockings taken by someone else, and that designer gave the bells to Sergio in the work room?  It’s OK to share materials, but it isn’t OK to get add on materials from “home” once the challenge begins.

I need explanation please!  

• Useful 6
  • Love 14

I love the unconventional materials challenge because it takes the designers outside of their usual norms and makes them think outside the box to create something.  I realize it isn't "design" in the classical sense but it shows they have the imagination to look at something unusual and create something beautiful out of it (or not).  I think it truly shows who has a keen eye and a willing spirit.

Besides, as said above, there is ALWAYS an unconventional materials challenge so suck it up buttercup and prepare!

• Love 21
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

The hostess has the chutzpah to call a dress too short?  She couldn't even sit down properly or she would have flashed everyone.

I thought the exact same thing. I'm not judging, I liked Karlie's dress, but maybe avoid the pot and kettle situation?

That said, Tyler's dress was really way too short, and it's incredible how he didn't realize that. He could've easily adjusted the length by adding ribbons, fabric or maybe creating another stripe of those lace-like decorations he had on the top. Christian loved them and I don't know what happened to that idea he had in the beginning. I was sure they would've sent him home, but I'm okay with them eliminating Alan. He was lovely but yeah, like someone else said, he wasn't ready. Anyway, here goes my personal take on the rest!

LOVED: Say what you want, I adore Marquise. Even if he was safe he made a stunning Vivienne Westwood-esque outfit that I would wear to all of the season's parties. The way he styled it with that black belt across the chest and the boots was ultra cool. And the double-layer tinsel skirt added an original touch to the classic Christmas tartan. Sergio is truly insufferable and the dress was boring but I could not believe he made it out of wrapping paper, that was incredible. I'm still waiting for him to design something other than an evening gown, though. 

OKAY: Nancy's dress reminded me of a priest's robe made from a curtain, but it was well tailored. Dayoung's outfit was more Princess of the Algae than anything else, but that model is gorgeous and I didn't mind the dress. Plus, that picture of baby Dayoung with her little coat and hat was so cute! Geoffrey, straight from Hewlett-Packard's 1984 office Christmas party, nothing to write home about but not bad either.

NOPE: Melanie (whom I still manage to mistake for Veronica, even after she was eliminated) could have done without shredding the ribbon on the bottom of her dress, 'cause it looked like a dried corn cob. Delvin, I absolutely adore him and his quirks (also, he is the hottest contestant ever to grace this competition. Sorry but someone had to say it.) but that outfit was awful. I understand it wasn't his challenge but it felt like he didn't even try. Victoria, I really don't understand how she was in the top AGAIN. I also don't think she should've been allowed to use fabric from the pillows, that's part of the house decor, not material for the challenge. If she can use that, then everyone should've been allowed to grab curtains, tablecloths, towels, rugs and so on from the loft! Last and least, Brittany. Wow. I understand they gave her a pass because she was clearly going through a crisis and she did win the first challenge, but honestly it would've been better if she had explained her breakdown and sent nothing on the runway rather than that thing. I honestly made better paper clothes for my Barbies when I was 5. I felt sorry for the model and no, Nina, that "underarm cranberry" was NOT pretty.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I still want to know who bopped the young woman in the nose and didn't own up to it or apologize. Surely there is footage somewhere?

I haven't cared for Alan. Didn't like his designs, either, glad he's gone.

Liked Sergio's dress and glad it won. That was some amazing sewing. I'll pass on the bells, though.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Shavi's red dress was so unflattering on his model. There's a way to use flower petals without adding so much volume. And if you're going to add volume, then you can't add it on the top AND the bottom. I couldn't believe that the judges put it in the top 3.

Lordy, I would not wear that nor put it on a curvy friend. All that extra volume? Skinny girls might want to wear it to round out their figures, but no full-figured woman in her right mind would! Oh, hell no! I was shocked it was on top.

Liked the plaid top, but not the shiny fringe skirt.  Also liked Victoria's dress as an over-the-top creation. Hey, it's unconventional materials!

• Love 10

and another contestant appears (to me) out of nowhere. Chelsea? Black gal with big glasses? The early episodes are so hard with so many contestants. 

I like how they are asking for advice, and receiving what appears to be thoughtful, authentic advice.

I am another who will not miss Alan.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Shavi's red dress was so unflattering on his model. There's a way to use flower petals without adding so much volume. And if you're going to add volume, then you can't add it on the top AND the bottom. I couldn't believe that the judges put it in the top 3.

I saw Nina nodding appreciatively and couldn't believe it. He took a gal who wears a D-cup bra and gave her a quadruple K!

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

Were the stockings taken by someone else, and that designer gave the bells to Sergio in the work room?  It’s OK to share materials, but it isn’t OK to get add on materials from “home” once the challenge begins.

Yes, probably.  It would have been nice to see that happen though.  I was exhausted last night and may have napped a bit without realizing it - did they show how he sewed the wrapping paper? 

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was also looking at it to see what needed to be hammered/flattened and failed to also see why she needed to make all the noise. 

I like Christian, but he sure gave a lot of side eyes and snarky looks tonight. 

I think it was added to the cape.  I need to go to the Bravo site and take a better look at it, but there were sparkly things on the cape.  Her dress was lovely, but since it was all ribbon I can see why she didn’t make the top.

Christian’s face after seeing the final way too short dress in the work room was hilarious to me. 

• Love 6

When I was a little girl in southwest Louisiana, we wore big petticoats, and there was a fad where our mamas sewed little Christmas jingle bells onto them. We stood in the sunshine and twisted and jingled away. Our teachers tolerated it briefly.

I kinda like the corn husk dress; she worked hard to use the materials (unlike using pillow fabric) and the bottom was pretty.

Alan's dress could have been lovely if he'd concentrated and made better use of his time. He needed to go. I hope he and his father are reunited one day. Can he not fly down to visit?

White coat's elitist attitude bugs.

I hooted out loud when Sergio proudly proclaimed that the judges would gag at his creation. What word was he reaching for? Gasp?

Except for Brandon, the judges seem ineffectual.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Alan's dress could have been lovely if he'd concentrated and made better use of his time. He needed to go. I hope he and his father are reunited one day. Can he not fly down to visit?

I think Alan said in an earlier episode that he is a Dreamer under DACA. Dreamers who leave the U.S. can lose their DACA status or be denied re-entry.

• Useful 4
  • Love 15

I have a theory about this show/the judges.

I think that when someone wins the previous challenge/has immunity, they are not allowed to be in the top 3 the following week.

I thought that Brittany should have been in the top 3 for the second episode.
I thought that Marquise should have been in the top 3 for this episode.

If that is true, then that is really stupid.

I really liked Alan's personality.  Sad he's going.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

When I was a little girl in southwest Louisiana, we wore big petticoats, and there was a fad where our mamas sewed little Christmas jingle bells onto them. We stood in the sunshine and twisted and jingled away. Our teachers tolerated it briefly.

I kinda like the corn husk dress; she worked hard to use the materials (unlike using pillow fabric) and the bottom was pretty.

White coat's elitist attitude bugs.

I hooted out loud when Sergio proudly proclaimed that the judges would gag at his creation. What word was he reaching for? Gasp?

Except for Brandon, the judges seem ineffectual.

They use the word gag on Ru Paul’s Drag Race a lot and it means to impress I guess. I thought the designers were way too whiny about the materials. They could have had worse stuff. Also still don’t like Christian doing nothing but pointing out how bad things are and rolling his eyes. I thought the dress with the cranberry wreath stole looked ridiculous. I liked Nancy’s dress and wish I could’ve seen it closer. The right person went home. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I have to agree with Mr. white coat (name?) about the unconventional challenge, it’s not designing, it’s arts and crafts. 

Dr. No Help  (somebody much more clever than me said)

Delvin

I don't mind Delvin's personality and I don't mind Sergio's either.  I don't know.  Everyone's different.  Maybe having most of my immediate family as artists influences my feelings on this.  I don't mind Sergio thinking he's the shit.  Who cares?  It's not meant to be offensive to the others.  I bet Christian was kind of the same in S4, but it's been awhile.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

I think that when someone wins the previous challenge/has immunity, they are not allowed to be in the top 3 the following week.

That makes no sense.  The show should WANT the best designers to do their best work.  Otherwise, an annoyed designer would do just what Santino (Season 2) suggested: "I'd send the girl naked down the runway or the worst design EVER."  And besides, more than one designer over the years has won two in a row.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, morakot said:

Designers took their own stockings to the studio -- apparently they had candy or other treats in them. Sergio asked the designers to let him have the bells that were on each stocking.

Thank you MORAKOT!  I knew there had to be a legit explanation & we just didn't see it.  Because if there were even a whiff of cheating or questionable use of materials, Bravo would not have missed the opportunity of turning into JingleBellGate 2019.  Lord knows TOPTB @ Bravo love to create season long drama over nothing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, GaT said:

Most of Victoria's dress was pillow fabric, nothing unconventional about that. In the past the judges dinged the designers for using actual fabric, I don't think Victoria should have been at the top.

I totally agree...…..I thought it was expresses instructed to use the holiday decorations.  They were just couch pillows.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, caitmcg said:

The bells were on the Christmas stockings with their names on them that were part of the decor brought in for the challenge theme.

But didn't they only have 10 minutes to grab stuff to use? If they could go back at a later time to grab other things then Brit would have been able to grab something besides wrapping paper, snowflake lace guy (forgot his name) could have grabbed something to make up for the length he lost when he redid his dress?

Or maybe there was just nothing left at that point? But I highly doubt the designers would have such a convenience of going back to that room and grabbing more items as the challenge went on so I am a bit confused about that. 

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 1

We saw at least one designer with his stocking in the studio -- the bald man emptied it out to see what treats there were. I would assume the other designers were encouraged to bring them with them anyway. It was not about going back to the apartment - it was about using what they had already brought.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

That makes no sense.  The show should WANT the best designers to do their best work.  Otherwise, an annoyed designer would do just what Santino (Season 2) suggested: "I'd send the girl naked down the runway or the worst design EVER."  And besides, more than one designer over the years has won two in a row.  

Has it ever happened with this new incarnation of the show with Karlie and Christian?

It's my personal theory, and I don't personally think it's nonsensical.  It's a theory.

• Love 2

As much as I hate to admit it, Sergio's was pretty great. I had to laugh though at his happy reaction to Kiernan Shipka, aged  20, saying she'd wear it. I guess young people can afford your designs???

Poor Alan. But that was really really bad. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't mind Delvin's personality and I don't mind Sergio's either.  I don't know.  Everyone's different.  Maybe having most of my immediate family as artists influences my feelings on this.  I don't mind Sergio thinking he's the shit.  Who cares?  It's not meant to be offensive to the others.  I bet Christian was kind of the same in S4, but it's been awhile.

In Season 4, Christian's tag phrase during the introductions (remember those?) was:  "I'm kinda a big deal."  He was all that and a bag of chips.  He had worked for Alexander McQueen.

I don't mind Delvin and Sergio, as long as they deliver on the attitude.  This time they did.  The previous streetwear challenge, Sergio failed miserably.

I thought all the top looks were from the group judged safe.  So what do I know.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I was wondering this too.  I know the bells came off stockings from the apartment, BUT Sergio didn’t get them in the initial mad dash for materials.  He must’ve pulled them off AFTER he was given the idea by another designer the next day.  If all the designers had the ability to go for additional materials from the apartment AFTER the first grab, then why wouldn’t Brittany take the same opportunity to get more things?  Or the guy with the gold and white too short dress?  Or any of the others? Were the stockings taken by someone else, and that designer gave the bells to Sergio in the work room?  It’s OK to share materials, but it isn’t OK to get add on materials from “home” once the challenge begins.

I thought the exact same thing!!  

And, I was wondering why no one did take the stockings.  They could have made an interesting print, once taken apart and re-purposed.  

ETA:  Morakot explained upthread that the designers brought their stockings to the workroom, so there goes my idea of an interesting print made from them!  🙂 

Edited by njbchlover